Has the Government shutdown...................

Options

Replies

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have a friend whos husband (contracted civilian)did the same exact thing as someone in my DH's unit.. Her DH got $200,000 a year while deployed.. and My DH and his buddy got $45,000-50,000 while deployed...

Contracted civilian? Oh, you mean "non-government, private corporation, employee". Also know as "an expert" (It helps justify the expense). From what I understand, they also get to avoid most US taxes if they play it right.
    A bit of a difference from a person who works for the government, Fed, State or Local.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My husband is a disabled Veteran receiving tuition assistance and a housing allowance to make up for the fact that he can't work and is in school full time. The VA can't guarantee anything (housing/grocery money, tuition, etc.) after the end of the month and we're already stretched thin on my income.

So yeah, we're feeling this.
    I thought the VA was funded till the end of the year?

the hospitals, etc are funded through 2014. however, VA claims processing, disability payments, pension payments, etc only have guaranteed funding through "late October". After that, they will pay for whatever they have funds left to cover, then nothing until the shutdown is over. Direct from the VA website (http://www.va.gov/opa/appropriations_lapse_plan.asp):

"During the government shutdown, VA medical centers, clinics and other health services have advance appropriations for 2014 and will remain open. VA has funds available to ensure claims processing and payments in the compensation, pension, education, and vocational rehabilitation programs will continue through late October. However, in the event of a prolonged shutdown, claims processing and payments in these programs will be suspended when funds are exhausted."

This sucks, as my husband gets disability payments from a service connected injury. I am praying the morons in Congress stop acting like spoiled 5 year olds and end the shutdown/approve the debt limit increase. :angry:

Not only that, but I am literally in limbo with my name change. I submitted my SS name change app on the 27th, so it is sitting on someone's desk somewhere until this crap is over. Can't change 75% of my stuff because I need my new SS card. Changed my driver's license, but it's been 10 days and I still don't have my new one....I'm wondering if it is going to be held up because it is an enhanced license and they can't verify my SS name change. :grumble:
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    My husband is a disabled Veteran receiving tuition assistance and a housing allowance to make up for the fact that he can't work and is in school full time. The VA can't guarantee anything (housing/grocery money, tuition, etc.) after the end of the month and we're already stretched thin on my income.

the hospitals, etc are funded through 2014. however, VA claims processing, disability payments, pension payments, etc only have guaranteed funding through "late October". After that, they will pay for whatever they have funds left to cover, then nothing until the shutdown is over. Direct from the VA website (http://www.va.gov/opa/appropriations_lapse_plan.asp):

"During the government shutdown, VA medical centers, clinics and other health services have advance appropriations for 2014 and will remain open. VA has funds available to ensure claims processing and payments in the compensation, pension, education, and vocational rehabilitation programs will continue through late October. However, in the event of a prolonged shutdown, claims processing and payments in these programs will be suspended when funds are exhausted."

This sucks, as my husband gets disability payments from a service connected injury. I am praying the morons in Congress stop acting like spoiled 5 year olds and end the shutdown/approve the debt limit increase. :angry:

Not only that, but I am literally in limbo with my name change. I submitted my SS name change app on the 27th, so it is sitting on someone's desk somewhere until this crap is over. Can't change 75% of my stuff because I need my new SS card. Changed my driver's license, but it's been 10 days and I still don't have my new one....I'm wondering if it is going to be held up because it is an enhanced license and they can't verify my SS name change. :grumble:

My husband gets service connected disability too... I'd hope that they'd pay disability before anything else with their extra funds as we depend on that and the schooling BAH every month. >.<

They totally don't pay enough at all. "oh we screwed you up for life.. heres a little bit of change"
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm active duty so I'm still getting paid, but I'm supposed to be TYDing in the next couple weeks. I have no idea if I am. At all. Nobody knows anything.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

My husband gets service connected disability too... I'd hope that they'd pay disability before anything else with their extra funds as we depend on that and the schooling BAH every month. >.<

They totally don't pay enough at all. "oh we screwed you up for life.. heres a little bit of change"

I always understood it to be sort of like a supplemental payment for your disability, not a household income (unless the VA deems you 100% disabled).
  • gobonas99
    Options

I always understood it to be sort of like a supplemental payment for your disability, not a household income (unless the VA deems you 100% disabled).

Depending on your injury, it can be supplemental or it can be your only income. When you can't sit or stand for long periods of time (without taking some serious - aka can't drive on them - painkillers, or spending the next 1-2 days laying in bed), it makes it difficult to get a job...but if you're at the max rating for your injury, you're screwed. You can apply for "individual unemployability" which will bump you to 100% payment even with a non-100% rating, but it is a long, arduous process before you can even submit for it.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    All political yammering aside...

As a fully immersed Army wife, I know dozens of people who are being directly affected.

Thanks to all non-essential civilian medical staff being furloughed, my best friend's (Army EOD wife) gallbladder surgery has been delayed until further notice, and she's needed it removed for over a month now.

My sister (Air Force Captain's wife) will more than likely be denied pre-natal care until the shutdown is over. The Captain himself is being denied his Master's tuition assistance, and since they just PSC'ed a couple months ago, their savings are shot.

My buddy the AF Sergeant has a newborn and the little one can't get her regular check-ups if the doctor isn't in. Not to mention, if they happen to be on WIC.

If you have Tricare Prime, you need a referral from your Primary Care Manager to see anybody other than them, and if they've been furloughed, you're SOL.

A lot of offices and services are closed, so paperwork isn't getting processed. The commissaries are closed, so if there isn't a grocery store near base, a lot of the soldiers have to go way out of their way just to get real food.

Oh, and could someone tell me if my 68-year-old mother will be getting her Social Security check this month? Due to spending most of her earlier years waitressing, she only had 19 years with the same employer, and her retirement benefits involved free chocolate.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    People who work in government know this stuff is coming, so they should prepare accordingly.

I've worked for the federal government for 16 years. Number of shutdowns during that time frame? Zero (until this one)

Well, you started just after numerous government shutdowns. Between 1981 and 1995, there were 11 government shutdowns. The one in Dec 1995 lasted for 21 days. That would have been right before you started working there. I would think anyone who started working there at that time would have heard about it, and would know this isn't that unusual.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

My DH's DR said he'd qualify for 100%.. however he would never be able to work for the rest of his life and we'd have no control of any of his bills. So his DR put him at 70% in hopes my husband would be able to get and keep a job soon.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

My DH's DR said he'd qualify for 100%.. however he would never be able to work for the rest of his life and we'd have no control of any of his bills. So his DR put him at 70% in hopes my husband would be able to get and keep a job soon.

Since your husband is home, do you work? If not, why? I'm just curious.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

He got fired I'm dec right before xmas because they worked him 19 days straight (12hrs) and he got injured at work. He goes to school now.

I had a small at home business that I used as extra spending money that I picked up and supported us for 6 mo before his disability came. Quitthat because dealing with 500-1000+ orders a month was to stressful without a warehouse And staff and didn't want to create that commitment.

Besides that never. But I got a job making my own hours.

My husband couldn't be alone for almost 2 years and we have 2 kids so it was hard.
  • gobonas99
    Options

And word that there will most likely be no VA disability or pension payments on Nov 1 if the shutdown continues: http://news.yahoo.com/va-chief-shutdown-could-hit-millions-vets-072429820--politics.html

I think I am going to be sick. :sick:
  • sillygoosie
    Options

He got fired I'm dec right before xmas because they worked him 19 days straight (12hrs) and he got injured at work. He goes to school now.

I had a small at home business that I used as extra spending money that I picked up and supported us for 6 mo before his disability came. Quitthat because dealing with 500-1000+ orders a month was to stressful without a warehouse And staff and didn't want to create that commitment.

My husband couldn't be alone for almost 2 years and we have 2 kids so it was hard.

That was then, this is now...

And life is hard. You're 23, you better get used to it. Don't expect the government to support your family when you're not willing to help out because it's "stressful". Your husband deserves assistance but he probably also deserves a wife who has the determination to help her family survive. Good luck on having savings in 20 years.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    nope nope nope nope.
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure whats going on in the States. But is it really just one party wanted something, the other party didnt so no body gets anything?
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure whats going on in the States. But is it really just one party wanted something, the other party didnt so no body gets anything?

yep that about sums it up.

my husbands navy, we live on base.... so almost every one i know has been affected in some way
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

And life is hard. You're 23, you better get used to it. Don't expect the government to support your family when you're not willing to help out because it's "stressful". Your husband deserves assistance but he probably also deserves a wife who has the determination to help her family survive. Good luck on having savings in 20 years.

Righhhhhht. Because you know ALLLLLL about disabilities.
  • sillygoosie
    Options

Righhhhhht. Because you know ALLLLLL about disabilities.

I actually have quite a bit of knowledge about disabilities, however, I have no knowledge about veteran assistance or your husband's particular disability, which would be none of my business. I was just curious about your expectations of other people and why they don't apply to you.

It's pretty clear that I'm running in circles with you though so I'm done.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am working at a Federal prison and have been told I have to work and will not get a paycheck next week if the shutdown was not resolved today. So I will keep coming into work as long as I can. I figure I can last about 30 -45 days without a paycheck.

Oh and I have been reading posts from alot of smug people who are sitting in judgement. Good for all of you who are so smart! Some people like me invest in other areas like real estate.. 5-6 years ago I had about 500-600 K in equity from it, and it was liquid in 30 days. Now it is a cash flow but not liquid, really. The point is the government is still collecting taxes, so not paying the workers is wrong, especially law enforcement. Oh and by the way if an inmate ends up injuring you and you go to the hospital- they put you on furlough status, really nice!

And I have canceled a vacation, my daughters drivers education and a dog grooming appointment....so far
This discussion has been closed.