Gain a pound or so from eating a small amount of chocolate?

Options
1235»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing all your thoughts about greedy fat cells and energy efficient ones. It's possible I have greedy fat cells which is why sugar/carbs effect me differently. Just thought I would throw that out there.

greedy...fat cells? Waaa? :huh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    That's why I try not to listen to half the stuff on here. I thought I would get some good advice .. and some of them did post useful information. But to say sugar is not toxic like high fructose cron syrup is calling almost every doctor a liar. Yah Im gonna believe you guys over the doctors :0
    Please refer a link/list to the Dr's that are touting this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Its not good for the blood vessels. It produces inflammation. Ask your doctor.
    Lifting weights inflames muscles. That doesn't mean it's bad. And as mentioned that's NOT the same as toxic. The definition for toxic is POISONOUS. If you ate something poisonous, you get deathly ill or die.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I came to this thread for pseudoscience and funny gifs!

Pseudoscience *Check!*

Funny Gifs? There should be more! :frown:
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    That's why I try not to listen to half the stuff on here. I thought I would get some good advice .. and some of them did post useful information. But to say sugar is not toxic like high fructose cron syrup is calling almost every doctor a liar. Yah Im gonna believe you guys over the doctors :0

IDEA Fitness member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE

I'm sure most of you will laugh at this video.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    I came to this thread for pseudoscience and funny gifs!

Pseudoscience *Check!*

Funny Gifs? There should be more! :frown:

And here I thought this was a place to get information. Boy was I wrong.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I regulate my sugar intake.

I also allow myself unfettered freedom to enjoy as much sugar as I like occasionally.

I have gained up to 10 lbs after having sugar. I have felt "fatter" thanks to water retention and bloat.

But guess what? Soon as I'm back to my typical way of eating, it's all gone. In fact I've disrupted my routine rarely by having an, gasp, entire week of high calorie, high fat, and high sugar eating and ended up slimmer for it.

You didn't gain a pound of fat. You're just so super paranoid about sugar that it's playing with your mind. You can decide to severely limit sugar in your life, if that's what makes you feel better (I know, it works for me), but you can do so without throwing all reason out the window.

Nobody in the history of ever has gained a pound of fat from eating one candy bar.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    I regulate my sugar intake.

I also allow myself unfettered freedom to enjoy as much sugar as I like occasionally.

I have gained up to 10 lbs after having sugar. I have felt "fatter" thanks to water retention and bloat.

But guess what? Soon as I'm back to my typical way of eating, it's all gone. In fact I've disrupted my routine rarely by having an, gasp, entire week of high calorie, high fat, and high sugar eating and ended up slimmer for it.

You didn't gain a pound of fat. You're just so super paranoid about sugar that it's playing with your mind. You can decide to severely limit sugar in your life, if that's what makes you feel better, without throwing all reason out the window.

Nobody in the history of ever has gained a pound of fat from eating one candy bar.

Yah I just figured since my body wasn't used to it, I would have some adverse effects thats all.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    The laws of physics didn't fly out the window, conservation of mass still applies.

Less than a pound of chocolate cannot turn into a pound of more of fat, "greedy fat cells" or not.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Gary Taubes!:laugh: :laugh: You're right I'm laughing. You do realize he's been debunked on his pseudoscience several times?

And I've explained to you why you gained weight after consuming higher carbs (sugar). Go back and read it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    Ok so what I mean is, I stay within my calories and have lost 62 lbs in the last 7 months. I made some major changes to my diet. For one, I made it a personal choice to cut out sugar- mainly because it is toxic to our bodies, and its been working great. This past week I have had a small piece of a chocolate bar, went to the movies and had 5 mini reese's piece bites, and had another small piece of a chocolate bar the other day. Very small amounts here. I normally don't eat chocolate at all, and when I had these they were all in my calorie intake, I did not go over. So why does it feel like I am a pound heavier?

The scale also shows a pound heavier. I know this isn't all in my head before any of you say this. I know exactly when my body gains "anything" by the way I feel. I don't know how but I can just tell. I'm sure there are many of you like this as well.

They say its not what you eat but how much you eat of it. Anyone else have this not apply to them? It's safe to say that now I will not be having little bites of anything unless it's on cheat day.
    Low carbing reduces glycogen/water storage. Reintroduction to them increases glycogen/water storage. Unless you plan to eat that way the rest of your life, expect any weight gain with reintroduction with carbs.
    And sugar isn't toxic. If it was, then ANY carb you eat should be poisoning you.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes I agree with what you say. Minus the sugar toxin part
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Gary Taubes is a writer, he's not a doctor or a scientist.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I know most people here are saying it's not possible, but it happens to me too so I believe you.

Although it is not an actual weight GAIN (more like a fluctuation), in my case I have come to learn that because I am insulin resistant, my body reacts different to good and bad foods. When I eat something such as chocolate, my body holds onto my fat stores and I weigh heavier.

I can remember going to see my doctor before finding out about the insulin resistance and saying "but I just have to LOOK at a chocolate bar and I gain 2kg". While this might be an exaggeration lol, that is exactly how my body reacts to chocolate and high sugar, unhealthy foods.

I'm sure that if you go back to your usual diet, the pound you gained will disappear as quick as it came.

Sigh

You can sigh as much as you like, but I think I'll take my expert medical advice over other "explanations" in this thread.

Toxic? At what dose?

I suspect that a lot of people don't understand what the word "toxic" really means.

Its not good for the blood vessels. It produces inflammation. Ask your doctor.

I don't think that's what toxic means.

It very well can be toxic if you eat too much, so why not just cut it out? I get my required sugars from fruit and other things. I think its a choice we should all make. And if not then just limit it greatly.

You should cut out sodium, water, chlorophyll, oxygen. All toxic if you take too much.
    Context matters.

Yes sugar is toxic and it's why we use it as a preservative. It's toxic to certain bacteria, etc... But the sugar in your little chocolate isn't toxic - you manage it quite well and use it as a fuel source. In reasonable quantities it's quite ok.
    Drinking a glass of water is good. Drinking 5 gallons will kill you.

It was not the chocolate, it was not the missed out veggies. Weight fluctuations occur. It's natural.

Now how toxic is sugar and should you be concerned. The answer is NO.

Sugar toxicity as tested uses a test of mg needed to kill off 50% of a test population (usually rats). For sugar the measure is well above 10000 gm per kg weight. So let's say you need to eat 1% of 1% of that LD50 to have a toxic reaction. That's well over 6kg of sugar by the most conservative estimate. There mechanisms in your body that would make you stop well beforehand. So no, sugar isn't toxic for you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Awhile ago I asked my rheumatologist, GP, and neurologist about the so-called inflammatory effects of sugar since I have issues with inflammation anyway. All three of them said not to worry about sugar or any other individual food, and that the important thing is to eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies and to manage my weight. A year ago I lived in Connecticut where I went to Yale's rheumatology program. The rheumatologist there said the same.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I think its a choice we should all make.
    OK. I will make the choice. I choose to continue to eat whatever I want if it fits my macros. Thank you for respecting that. :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Low carbing reduces glycogen/water storage. Reintroduction to them increases glycogen/water storage. Unless you plan to eat that way the rest of your life, expect any weight gain with reintroduction with carbs.
    And sugar isn't toxic. If it was, then ANY carb you eat should be poisoning you.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes I agree with what you say. Minus the sugar toxin part
    You'll stil have to explain how sugar is a toxin. Toxins are poisonous. That means anyone consuming a substantial amount should die after ingesting it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing all your thoughts about greedy fat cells and energy efficient ones. It's possible I have greedy fat cells which is why sugar/carbs effect me differently. Just thought I would throw that out there.

But seriously, what.the.actual.FU*K.are you talking about?! What in the name of all that is holy is a greedy fat cell? Like this?

30tiatz.jpg

Listen, since obviously chocolate makes you magically expand like no one else in the whole wide world, I suggest consuming copious amounts of bacon instead. Real animal product and no sugar to make your body all toxic!!!

ETA: I watched your youtube video. So this one random dude with M.D. after his name and a cute little infographic of "fat cells" is your source of information? Why yes, you're right. I laughed at this video and cried a little inside to think that you actually think that's real research. Dude for real?