Who is that "average woman" who needs to eat 2,000 cal?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of snarky comments. Be nice people, we're all here for the same reason. If you can't be a positive influence, keep your mouth shut.

I did find a neat TDEE calculator that gives you percentages of what to eat based on exercise level. Not sure if it's true for my body, but might be right for yours.

Here's the link:
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

And every time someone is blatantly hypocritical like this in a post, someone kicks a puppy.

So please stop...

...do it for the puppies.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is above 2000 calories a day... but I'm a tall woman.

But in another thread, you said you weren't being consistent with your logging/eating so how do you know what your maintenance is? And if you know your maintenance, then I'm confused about the other thread in where you had issues losing.

Sorry, it just stuck out is all. But...back to the averages I guess....

Isn't there something about creating drama by bringing stuff from other threads? Why is my maintenance any of your damn concern in the first place?

It was just a question...sheesh.

At my height and weight, MFP has my maintenance (for sedentary) at 2230.

I have had my goal at 1800 calories for most of this year. No... I did not always stay at 1800 calories. Guesstimating, I would say I ate at maintenance or higher 6 to 8 times a month.

I'm having some hormone issues.

Why can I not ask a general nutrition question without giving a complete breakdown of my diet/fitness/macro-ratios and overall general health? My diary is my business... if I don't want anyone poking around in it, then that is my choice.

And yes, jonnythan, I deleted you... because you champion IIFYM, then wagged your finger at me when I let you in my diary!!

No one's asking to see your diary or berating you or anything like that.

Joy simply asked how you know your maintenance because of other questions you asked earlier. I wondered the same thing when I read this post.
    And, I'm sorry, but you can't ask people to isolate your posts and only respond to them on an individual basis. If you post something about having trouble losing weight, and then post that you aren't logging/tracking/weighing, and THEN post that you know what your maintenance is.....well, people are going to put 1+1+1 together and come to a conclusion about what your problem might be. And then, they may even offer advice on how to fix your issue (medical conditions aside).

That's how MFP works. That's how I've seen you work in the forums many times. Don't be surprised and upset when people ask questions about inconsistent posts.

I'm genuinely sorry if it seemed that I lashed out a Joy. It's become a sensitive subject for me as I feel as if I have been ridiculed for how I choose to work my program. I do not weigh food. I have not been weighing myself. My question that wAs posted in the group was a general question about nutrition and it's relationship to hormones. I didn't feel like opening my diary was necessary to answer a general question relevant to everyone, in general.

But that wasn't a general question, relevant to everyone. Your question was very specific and relevant to your situation.

And you may have something going on - that's for your doctor to determine. But the advice you got in the thread still stands. You need to be more accurate and thorough with MFP before you can claim you're not seeing results.

If you don't log, don't weigh your food, don't exercise, etc, then you're missing pieces of the puzzle. So.....medical issues still aside, you are complaining about not getting results while not doing the work. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's simple for me to see what the problem is. And if there is a medical situation, it will not absolve you of having to do those things in order to reach your goal weight. If anything, you'll have to be twice as diligent.

No one said I wasn't logging or exercising. All I said was that I don't weigh my food. I find it inconvenient. As I said in the group thread, I stopped lifting because I wasn't progressing with strength gains.

I'm offended by the fact that that conversation has poured over into this one. This thread was not about me. And my statement that my maintenance is above 2000 didn't contradict anything that I said in the other thread. What I said in the other thread is that hormone imbalance could be screwing with my maintenance intake. Yeah, 2230 might not be my actual maintenance level, but based on math it is. So, I don't see how "calling me out" for something I said in other threads was relevant.

Oh... and the question might have been relevant to my situation... or anyone else having issues with cortisol... which could be any number of people.

It *could* be.....but a lot of issues that people are having with weight loss directly relate to their inconsistencies. I find that to be true in a lot of the threads/questions I see here.

I'm sorry you're offended that the conversation spilled over. I think that's bound to happen anytime you have a sizeable group of people who are all active in the same forums. Our posts here aren't isolated and we tend to remember things that stick out to us, for whatever reasons.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    we're all here for the same reason

Every time someone says this, a baby seal gets clubbed.

There is something fundamentally wrong with you people who seem to find it amusing to berate or joke others. The majority of us are here for support and tracking, no matter what the individual goal: gain, lose or maintain. If someone asks for help, if you don't have any to offer, just don't respond.

im just here for the lulz.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

There is something fundamentally wrong with you people who seem to find it amusing to berate or joke others. The majority of us are here for support and tracking, no matter what the individual goal: gain, lose or maintain. If someone asks for help, if you don't have any to offer, just don't respond.

thumper21.jpg

Does this rule still apply since we're all presumably adult humans and not talking juvenile rabbits?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is above 2000 calories a day... but I'm a tall woman.

But in another thread, you said you weren't being consistent with your logging/eating so how do you know what your maintenance is? And if you know your maintenance, then I'm confused about the other thread in where you had issues losing.

Sorry, it just stuck out is all. But...back to the averages I guess....

Isn't there something about creating drama by bringing stuff from other threads? Why is my maintenance any of your damn concern in the first place?

It was just a question...sheesh.

At my height and weight, MFP has my maintenance (for sedentary) at 2230.

I have had my goal at 1800 calories for most of this year. No... I did not always stay at 1800 calories. Guesstimating, I would say I ate at maintenance or higher 6 to 8 times a month.

I'm having some hormone issues.

Why can I not ask a general nutrition question without giving a complete breakdown of my diet/fitness/macro-ratios and overall general health? My diary is my business... if I don't want anyone poking around in it, then that is my choice.

And yes, jonnythan, I deleted you... because you champion IIFYM, then wagged your finger at me when I let you in my diary!!

No one's asking to see your diary or berating you or anything like that.

Joy simply asked how you know your maintenance because of other questions you asked earlier. I wondered the same thing when I read this post.
    And, I'm sorry, but you can't ask people to isolate your posts and only respond to them on an individual basis. If you post something about having trouble losing weight, and then post that you aren't logging/tracking/weighing, and THEN post that you know what your maintenance is.....well, people are going to put 1+1+1 together and come to a conclusion about what your problem might be. And then, they may even offer advice on how to fix your issue (medical conditions aside).

That's how MFP works. That's how I've seen you work in the forums many times. Don't be surprised and upset when people ask questions about inconsistent posts.

I'm genuinely sorry if it seemed that I lashed out a Joy. It's become a sensitive subject for me as I feel as if I have been ridiculed for how I choose to work my program. I do not weigh food. I have not been weighing myself. My question that wAs posted in the group was a general question about nutrition and it's relationship to hormones. I didn't feel like opening my diary was necessary to answer a general question relevant to everyone, in general.

But that wasn't a general question, relevant to everyone. Your question was very specific and relevant to your situation.

And you may have something going on - that's for your doctor to determine. But the advice you got in the thread still stands. You need to be more accurate and thorough with MFP before you can claim you're not seeing results.

If you don't log, don't weigh your food, don't exercise, etc, then you're missing pieces of the puzzle. So.....medical issues still aside, you are complaining about not getting results while not doing the work. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's simple for me to see what the problem is. And if there is a medical situation, it will not absolve you of having to do those things in order to reach your goal weight. If anything, you'll have to be twice as diligent.

No one said I wasn't logging or exercising. All I said was that I don't weigh my food. I find it inconvenient. As I said in the group thread, I stopped lifting because I wasn't progressing with strength gains.

I'm offended by the fact that that conversation has poured over into this one. This thread was not about me. And my statement that my maintenance is above 2000 didn't contradict anything that I said in the other thread. What I said in the other thread is that hormone imbalance could be screwing with my maintenance intake. Yeah, 2230 might not be my actual maintenance level, but based on math it is. So, I don't see how "calling me out" for something I said in other threads was relevant.

Oh... and the question might have been relevant to my situation... or anyone else having issues with cortisol... which could be any number of people.
    I am baffled by the stopping lifting because you weren't progressing with strength gains.
    How does that make ANY sense?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There is something fundamentally wrong with you people

Hey, If you can't be a positive influence, keep your mouth shut.

Right?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Taking an average means collecting specific info in order to make a generalisation.

For example to find the average age of 2,000 people at a One Direction concert - you would find out the total age of the 'population' ie every single person there's age, add them all up and then divide by 2,000.

Most populations have a Gaussian or bell shaped curved - very few at the extreme ends - ie at the 1D concert I'd predict there won't be many 3-month old babies or many 84-year-olds grooving to the sounds of Harry, Niall, Louis, Liam and Zayn.

I'm down with the kids, me. :glasses:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Seems like there is a lot going on in this thread...but have not read the entire thing yet. However, to answer the question...me, for one.

I am leaner than 'average' (as in lighter and therefore need 'less' calories), and 5 6" (1/2 inch taller than average), have a desk job, do no cardio - just lift weights, but am very inactive outside the gym, am 46 years old (the older you are the lower your maintenance in general) and maintain on more than 2,000 calories.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    2000ish here. I'm only 4'11.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I maintain on right around 2000 calories. I go to the gym 4 times per week. I'm 5'3.75" and about 133 lbs.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    There is lots of evidence in this thread that many people have no idea what "average" means. This makes me sad.

And what is your definition of "average"?

Seriously? It isn't MY definition of average, this is THE definition of average:

av·er·age
    ˈav(ə)rij
    noun
    1.the result obtained by adding several quantities together and then dividing this total by the number of quantities; the mean.

So, in the context of this thread topic, for example, a number of women (N) can be rounded up and their individual TDEE values could be estimated, summed, and then divided by N. This would yield the average TDEE for the N women.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 41 years old, and about 140 pounds, and my TDEE is about 2300 or so, exercising 5-6 times a week, typically running between 3-6 miles three times a week and lifting weights 2-3 times a week.

I'm not terribly active outside of exercise. I'm an artist who works from home, so a lot of time is spent sitting, but I'm also a bit like a hummingbird and don't stay sitting for very long without needing to get up and flit about.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the (drama?) posts, but I need about 2000 to maintain, maybe slightly more. 5'9", lean, 140 lbs. Guess I'm average. :)
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    What is this I don't even...next people will be crying foul because we don't all actually have 2.2 kids and 1.5 cats.

LEARN WHAT AVERAGE MEANS.

And I ask this question to you too;

PLEASE TELL US WHAT AVERAGE MEANS.. (weight, height, age, activities, what ever)

average weight = sum of individual weights/number of individuals weighed
    average height = sum of individual heights/number of individuals measured
    average whatever = sum of individual whatevers/number of individuals whatevered
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    Me... at 5 ft 11 my maintenance level for a healthy middle range weight is around 2100 calories per day :)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Coming up in our next segment.... 'Improper Fractions'

Stay tuned....
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I couldn't resist.

mbcn1957l.jpg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I am baffled by the stopping lifting because you weren't progressing with strength gains.
    How does that make ANY sense?

There were other things that influenced that decision. At first, I thought I had a hernia, and then, I had a lack of energy. And other things came up, and I wasn't sure what was going on with me.

I plan to return to it. I'm just trying to get oriented in the issues that I'm having.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Maintain around 1900 -2000 a day. lift 3x week and 2x cardioishy stuff- 5'3 115pounds,48yrs young~
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

There is something fundamentally wrong with you people who seem to find it amusing to berate or joke others. The majority of us are here for support and tracking, no matter what the individual goal: gain, lose or maintain.

I'm here for junk pics.