Who is that "average woman" who needs to eat 2,000 cal?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    we're all here for the same reason

Every time someone says this, a baby seal gets clubbed.

There is something fundamentally wrong with you people who seem to find it amusing to berate or joke others. The majority of us are here for support and tracking, no matter what the individual goal: gain, lose or maintain.

I'm here for junk pics.

300px--HK_CityHall_Seaview_51217_5.png
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    According to Wikipedia: The mean height of women in the United States over 20 (the height of all women over 20 / the number of women over 20) is 5'4.5". The mean weight is 165lbs.

Plug those numbers into this calculator, with an age of 30:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I get a TDEE of 2001 calories.

Of course the default option is exercise 3 times a week. No exercise is 1746.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I've already accepted I'm not average, but when it comes to maintenance, I'm sure I'll figure out what's best for my body eventually. Why do we care so much about the middle ground when we're all unique anyway?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My TDEE works out to be around 2,400 cals a day at 5' 3" 125ish pounds. That's with minimal cardio.

Does that mean I'm finally considered above average? :bigsmile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well. I'm a touch shorted than average and lighter than average (According to Busylady's provided stats) but I lose a pound a week on 1700+ calories, so logically my TDEE would be around 2200. Adding to this I spent a few weeks just eating whatever and not doing much by way of physical activity (just lifting 3 days a week) and averaged around 2150 calories a day and thought I'd gained .5 pounds but that's such a small amount I may have maintained/lost in that time period and couldn't tell because I basically go around eating salt. I actually am leaning towards lost because 4 days back into eating at my cut and I'm down 1.4 pounds (as of this morning)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" tall, 137 pounds, and 44 years old (45 next month). I maintain on a little more than 2000 calories a day (which makes me very very happy!).

Edited to add, I'm not doing much intentional exercise right now. Just trying to get at least 10,000 steps a day on my fitbit.
  • rowrunyoga
    rowrunyoga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    we're all here for the same reason

Every time someone says this, a baby seal gets clubbed.

There is something fundamentally wrong with you people who seem to find it amusing to berate or joke others. The majority of us are here for support and tracking, no matter what the individual goal: gain, lose or maintain.

I'm here for junk pics.

NICE JUNK!:love:
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Those 2000 calories are probably still from the good old days when people would do manual labour instead of alternating between sitting in front of a PC at work and a TV at home... ;)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7", and my calories are 1870 per day without exercise and around 2300-2400 with exercise.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 years old,5'7" and weigh 130. Still trying to figure out maintenance. September I averaged 2,318 calories and lost two pounds. I started Stronglifts two weeks ago, cut out cardio and upped to 2,500. We'll see........
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Those 2000 calories are probably still from the good old days when people would do manual labour instead of alternating between sitting in front of a PC at work and a TV at home... ;)

I don't know. I sit in front of the TV and Computer pretty much 7 days a week and my maintenance is still above 2000 calories. And I'm not a work out fiend: I lift 3 days a week and try to get an hour or two of cardio in (And usually fail.)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

[/quote

tumblr_lp0tqsLVvg1qlvikyo1_500.gif
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I don't know. I sit in front of the TV and Computer pretty much 7 days a week and my maintenance is still above 2000 calories. And I'm not a work out fiend: I lift 3 days a week and try to get an hour or two of cardio in (And usually fail.)

That's me as well.

Desk job, plus school, plus T.V./reading at night. Outside of exercise, I'm a slug.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    On shows about weight, such as "supersized vs. superskinny" or "secret eaters" they keep repeating that an average woman needs to eat 2,000 calories a day and average man 2,500(that is so not fair, btw :o).

But all online calculators tell me that my maintenance rate if I am not active is 1,300 calories. That sounds extremely depressing. (BTW, I've been losing eating 1,500 NET calories, so I think this might be inaccurate). Sure, I'm active, but since I eat back all of my workout calories, that should not matter for this calculation.

Is the 2,000 calorie diet a myth, and women who eat that will be slowly gaining weight?
    WHO is that average woman that can eat 2,000?

Your BMR is not your maintenance calories. You did not use these calculators right.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    On shows about weight, such as "supersized vs. superskinny" or "secret eaters" they keep repeating that an average woman needs to eat 2,000 calories a day and average man 2,500(that is so not fair, btw :o).

But all online calculators tell me that my maintenance rate if I am not active is 1,300 calories. That sounds extremely depressing. (BTW, I've been losing eating 1,500 NET calories, so I think this might be inaccurate). Sure, I'm active, but since I eat back all of my workout calories, that should not matter for this calculation.

Is the 2,000 calorie diet a myth, and women who eat that will be slowly gaining weight?
    WHO is that average woman that can eat 2,000?

Your BMR is not your maintenance calories. You did not use these calculators right.

This. ^^^
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What is this I don't even...next people will be crying foul because we don't all actually have 2.2 kids and 1.5 cats.

LEARN WHAT AVERAGE MEANS.

And I ask this question to you too;

PLEASE TELL US WHAT AVERAGE MEANS.. (weight, height, age, activities, what ever)

average weight = sum of individual weights/number of individuals weighed
    average height = sum of individual heights/number of individuals measured
    average whatever = sum of individual whatevers/number of individuals whatevered

You (and professorrat) haven't answer the question as related to this thread. Age of 'average woman," height of "average woman," "weight of average woman." Show me the numbers... or maybe we should use "whatevered."

Averages in my opinion don't really exits, it is just a word with a definition that doesn't mean much and people give it different interpretation. Just like BMI.

Any way, out I go, because this thread is not getting anywhere, and is not very educational either.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and eating 2750calories/day. I'm trying to find my bulking calories and will probably be raising to 3000 next week (250 calorie surplus). I'm doing Starting Strength 3x week (since Sept 1st) and each session takes me about 80 minutes.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of snarky comments. Be nice people, we're all here for the same reason. If you can't be a positive influence, keep your mouth shut.
    I'm here to make snarky comments. So, since we're all here for the same reason, I can rest assured that you are too, and that your comment was just sarcasm and what you really meant was "ha ha great job with all the snarky comments!"
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    What is this I don't even...next people will be crying foul because we don't all actually have 2.2 kids and 1.5 cats.

LEARN WHAT AVERAGE MEANS.

And I ask this question to you too;

PLEASE TELL US WHAT AVERAGE MEANS.. (weight, height, age, activities, what ever)

average weight = sum of individual weights/number of individuals weighed
    average height = sum of individual heights/number of individuals measured
    average whatever = sum of individual whatevers/number of individuals whatevered

You (and professorrat) haven't answer the question as related to this thread. Age of 'average woman," height of "average woman," "weight of average woman." Show me the numbers... or maybe we should use "whatevered."

Averages in my opinion don't really exits, it is just a word with a definition that doesn't mean much and people give it different interpretation. Just like BMI.

Any way, out I go, because this thread is not getting anywhere, and is not very educational either.

Of course they exist. Case in point:

AVERAGE AGE: 30

Weight

AVERAGE WEIGHT: 145

TDEE
    AVERAGE TDEE: 2000

Now assume person X is 28 and 155 pounds...what is the best ROUGH estimate of her TDEE? It would be the average.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hmm...