Why are you fat?

Options

Replies

• CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat. In the eyes of the majority of the world, I'm wealthy. I'm just a little too wealthy.
  • SusieQ3121
    Options
    I am overweight because of my age...My metabolism is definitely slowing down. I love ice cream and eat it almost every night. There are many reasons why I have gained weight. I am now working on trying to lose 20 lbs. and being more comfortable with myself.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I enjoy food and cooking a bit too much. I'm an addict more than an emotional eater.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I used food as a comfort

^this
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Indulging in a few too many wines most nights of the week for the last 5 years.
    Working at a pizza shop with a boss who makes you dinner in the shop every night and then sends you home with a large pizza ... which of course I ate.
    I had a major issue with late night cravings after I stopped working at the shop also which I just satisfied by eating more.
    Going through phases where I "couldn't be bothered" and literally eating junk food for every single meal :(

Thankfully I'm finding most of that is easily rectifiable by just going to bed earlier and avoiding the bottle shop on the way home :)
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I was fat because of what I now call the "food panic"... a reptilian urge to eat, normally just beneath the level of my conscious brain -- but sometimes a light bulb would come on and I would wonder:

"Why I am I eating so much, all the time, and even eating more when I'm full?"

"Why am I unable to resist the compulsion to get up off the couch and grab a bag of chips or cookies from the kitchen and eat half or all of it in front of the TV?"

"Why do I need to clear my wife's and kids' plates off after I've cleaned off my own?"

"Why do I go to a restaurant with my wife and eat an appetizer, a full meal, and a dessert, and then come home and eat even more.... and finally go to bed stuffed and acidic and miserable?"

After a long time thinking about these issues I decided that, at least for me, the food panic is a basic biological mechanism that has gone haywire. It doesn't seem to have the psychological component for me that it does in some others. I don't think I was using food as a comfort or escape from emotional pain... I was generally upbeat and full of (probably undue) self-regard.

I call it the food panic. I think of it as a screaming need for food driven by an unconscious/biological panic that I won't be getting enough.

I still feel it, sometimes intensely... but I seem to have found ways to cope with it, thankfully.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Anxiety medications (main reason)
    Insulin resistance (developed this because of weight gain from anxiety meds)
    Reactive hypoglycemia (developed this because of weight gain from anxiety meds)
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Because I always took a heavy class load in college and never had time to cook . . . I ate nothing but fast food for years, and I never exercised.

Then after college I got sick and basically didn't move or leave my house for a few years, at which point I was diagnosed bipolar and began treatment.

After almost 3 years the treatment is finally going really well and my mental health is under control, so now I can focus on my physical health.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Realistically... because I consumed more calories than I burned and I became lazy as I got older. I started eating a lot of fried foods, high calorie takeout, fast food, and packaged convenience foods. I drank tons of soda and no water. My habits were just plain poor. I also used both of my pregnancies as excuses to eat whatever because it was the baby craving it, not me! :-P

I had a lot of excuses. I worked nights and went to a job that was more sedentary than my previous one. Then medical issues. Then getting pregnant with my daughter. Then depression. One day I woke up and said "No more excuses!"
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I eat more calories than I use in a day. Basically I'm lazy and/or addicted to food.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Took care of a terminally ill family member for two years (24 hr care, rarely had time to myself or days away from it), then said family member died and I really pack on the weight from depression. It was my grandmother, who pretty much filled in for a mom as I was raised by my father.
  • sweetiememoirs
    sweetiememoirs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was a 10lb baby. I was always chubby growing up & then I was fat. My mother had put me on diets when I was early teens. At 5'9 I was made to feel disgustingly fat in size 12 jeans. Looking back, I wish I could have ignored the negativity because it only furthered my depression & stress eating. Now in jeans twice the size, I can only hope to be the "chubby" person I was then. On top of it all it doesn't help that I love food, & often boredom eat. *sigh* I'm a whole mess of problems. Ha!
  • joani61
    Options
    When I was in high school I graduated weighing 117 lbs. I was considered underweight. I weighed 120 lbs when I got married at 20. I never had any children so I can’t say it was because I had children. I was divorced at 24 still only weighing 125.

So let’s see my weight I didn’t gain until I was 37. I was going thru menopause at a very early age and; oh my, did I ever gain weight. I was still eating the same and exercising the same but because of menopause I was just gaining and gaining and honestly I didn’t care because I was depressed. I got married the second time in 2003 at age 42 and three years into that marriage my husband had a brain aneurysm and a mini stroke and in 2009 he died of lung cancer and that sunk me into depression again. I did my official year of mourning and I kept eating and eating.
    I made a New Years resolution this year 2014 to lose 100 lbs by this time next year. I can’t live to be 95 yrs old if I fat and old. I want to be a healthy 95 year old woman. I am only 52 now but the next 43 years I want to feel alive again. I want to do things that I used to do when I was in my early 30’s. I am not talking about climbing some high mountain but I would love to start wearing shorts again instead of Capri’s a shirt with no sleeves when it is 85+ outside.
  • ks07032rd
    ks07032rd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    emotional eating
  • brifinn23
    Options
    itaco bell and pasta
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm not.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I like food. Problem?
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I am not fat. I HAVE fat. My weight does not define me.
    True story!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    World of Warcraft + being unemployed = FAT
  • Jaylello
    Jaylello Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cake