Replies

• somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Because food.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Because I didn't like myself. And it only got worse the larger I became, so the eating increased. I've come to realize now that I was eating so much to dull the thoughts and negative feelings rather than deal with them. Once I decided to spend some 'me' time and learn to love the person I am inside, I began to lose weight . It's a natural progression: love starting from the inside out :)
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I thought that I was invincible from weight gain because I'm very active.
  • pattyjabs
    Options
    I fractured my wrist in January of 2013, and my heal bone in April of 2013 due to osteoperosis. The injuries very much reduced my activity level. I was also told to eat more protiens to help the bones knit, so my caloric intake increased. I'm walking on my bad leg now, but still limping. Working on improving my quality of life and health by moving more and taking off the pounds I gained while recovering.
  • kubicak
    kubicak Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been heavy for quite a few years, though despite what BMI says I should be, I maintained a weight that while high on the scale and still tagged as 'overweight' on BMI, I was healthy (per the doctor), I looked great, and I could work out like it was nobody's business and not feel like I was going to puke or pass out after the fact.

Then I got a job. With a boss that pissed everyone off so much he was constantly buying the employees food to forgive him. And because I enjoy a good, free meal, I never said no. Then I'd go home and we'd eat out again. Or I'd make wrong homemade dinner decisions.

At 5'3", I hit 210 lbs. and was a physical and emotional wreck. Might not seem like much to others who're shorter and heavier (or were), but for me, it was an all time low and I knew things had to change. Being categorized as morbidly obese when there are all sorts of fat-related health issues in the family was no longer an option for me. However, I'm 30 pounds lighter and still technically MO because of my short stature, but I sure don't look like it.

...she says as she just came waddling out of a Famous Dave's...
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Ummm, pretty simple how I got fat - ate too much, moved too little. How I got slimmer - reverse the pattern - eat in moderation, move a lot!
  • linstapler
    linstapler Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1. The see-food diet. I see food... I eat.
    2. Lots of excuses to exercise and get active.
    3. Being Asian. You are considered "very fat" at 60-65kg! Sad but true...
  • gotfatincollege89
    gotfatincollege89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    first time I gained weight was due to burning myself out by binge drinking every weekend in college, which stopped my workouts and also being hungover so much all I ever wanted to eat was comfort and/or "easy" food.

this most recent gain was due to me going through a deep depression (still am but at least i'm taking control of my weight again). I was ordering a XL pizza (plus side orders) almost every single DAY because it was the only joy I could get out of life. I gained 60 pounds in 6 months. Now I'm on the loooooong journey back to being slim again. Oy.
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ATe to much and didnt move enough. I could come up with a million excuses and hell maybe a few would be almost ok but it does no good lying to myself. Booze didnt help much either lol
    This :drinker: :laugh:
  • Still1Workoutatatime
    Options
    I used food as a comfort

^^this
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I ate too many darned calories and exercised too darn little. Many of my excessive calories wee reaching for food as an emotional crush.

23 pounds gone and 10 left to lose!
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Combo of nature (thyroid, clinical depression, miscarriages), nurture (crap food rolemodeling, mother constantly on fad diets, etc), and laziness (all mine). My eating has never been OTT but I have redefined what it means to live a sedentary life. I was not overweight growing up, but thought I was. I became overweight when injuries knocked me out of sports and I just became surgically attached to my furniture. Whenever I succumb to my inner lazybum I gain, ever so slowly, but it keeps going and going til I smack myself in the head. This time is the last time.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Yup...
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    Let's see,

- I was a chubby baby, parents and my brothers thought that was cute so they kept over-feeding me - became a fat child.

- My parents unhappy marriage, being bullied in school = secret binge eating/night eating/general over eating and no boundaries set from my carers meant that I had free reign when it came to food, No wasn't an answer I ever got.

- Growing up in a culture where food is abundant and a huge part of socializing, going back for seconds/thirds, everything is pretty much deep fried.

- I ate fruits and vegetables every day but I was also allowed to snack freely on junk, meal portion sizes were larger than they should have been for a person, let alone a child.

- Had to move to a new country when I didn't want to (Palestinian refugees) = bullying, racism, culture shock, you name it, I faced it, resulted in me going from a chubby child to a morbidly obese teenager - food became my emotional crutch.

- Clinical depression set in, medications and a depressive state made it incredibly difficult to lose or sustain any kind of weight loss, especially when changing your mindset is incredibly important but there wasn't enough room or energy to focus on physical health when mental health was virtually at rock bottom.
  • 1_madeline_3
    1_madeline_3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was a nanny last summer so I gain some lbs for eating junk food with the kids. Then I got on meds that made me gain more. Then i broke my ankle so I had to be on bed rest and had even more meds that made me gain even more! But I'm off all that meds now besides one. I just need to lose ten lbs. I'm just a little over weight. Because I'm so short it makes it worst if you know what I mean. I just need encouragement !
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's because I turned to food for all reasons.

Needed Food to make me using my conputer more entertaining.
    Needed Food to get a good night's sleep.
    Needed Food to live a happy life.

my Appetite addiction was uncontrollable...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I like food.
  • rraychul
    Options
    i met someone new and got happy enough to stop neglecting my body. i used to eat one meal a day. over the past year i have slipped so far. i eat constantly. i feel the need to always be full. it needs to change
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I was never technically "overweight," but I've been out of shape since I hit middle school. When I was a kid I was outside playing until after the sun went down, but once I hit puberty I started focusing on tv, video games, and the internet.

I've continued to eat like a child, though - as in, if I wanted cookies, I'd eat a sleeve of cookies. Some people's vice is smoking, for other it's drinking or gambling. Food is my vice, particularly sweets.

When I started college, I went on birth control pills, which brought me from ~125 pounds up to ~130 (though they did make my breasts larger, which was nice). I've been off birth control since May and I'm halfway through my second round of Insanity, and I'm down to 120 pounds.

I am about to re-start my birth control regimen, and I'm terrified I'm going to gain the weight back.

(Oh, and I'm 5'3")

50217897.png
  • andyhat1027
    Options
    about 7 years ago, I was broken up with and got into world of warcraft... I didn't notice ... Now I'm running a ton and am into rock climbing. I still love video games but physical stuff is so much more addictive to me now.