Why are you fat?

Options

Replies

• rednailvarnish
    rednailvarnish Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Number one reason why people get fat is hormonal imbalances. Sure eating too much and not exercising can cause you to get fat, but what is causing you to eat too much? Even emotional eating a lot of times can be traced back to hormonal imbalances. If you have metabolic problems, you are more likely to be depressed, and depression and comfort food go hand in hand. I argue we are not fat because we eat too much, but we eat to much because we are sick. Fix the problem and the fat will go away.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I drink too much water.
  • hambletonreva
    Options
    A car accident in which I broke my knee, overeating, and the medication seroquel!
  • Jesaky
    Jesaky Posts: 3
    Options
    Never learnt how to eat properly.
    You know, when half of your family is heavily overweight and doesn't care, you'll get used to it.
    "Oh, you're satisfied? nope, we have still food, eat it!"
    "Oh, you can't eat that adult portion? Well, you won't leave the table until you do!"
    "What you don't want the *insert food I don't really like*? Don't care, eat it. A lot!"
    And thus I stopped listening to my body and began eating what's on my plate. All of it, no matter how 'full' my stomach was
    because, yeah, I MUST eat it or else I'm getting somehow punished.

And I'm one of those emotional eaters; I like sweets, I've always been overweight, I never found the love for sports, because everybody rejected me (because I am fat)

You know those stories. :)
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Because when my metabolism slowed as I aged and I moved into a desk job I didn't slow down with the tasty beers and food. Worse, when I started to travel I enjoyed immersing myself in the local cultures by eating everything I could. That added up to being 70# overweight. I'm down 50....
  • sbates43
    sbates43 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I thought I could eat everything I did when I was in my 20's, it just seemed I woke up one morning and I was in my 40"s. I decided to make a change for me. I decided I needed to quit smoking and then even more weight packed on.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was never what you would consider skinny or buff. But I was slim my whole life, even after I had my baby I was able to lose all my pregnancy weight. My downfall was when my Dr. put me on Seroquil, so every day I ate fries and every morning I ate donuts. Coupled with a desk job in a call center the pounds started to add up. I lost all that weight at one point after I quit taking my meds. I relocated 3 years ago from Florida to Chicago and when I moved my diet drastically changed. I went from being vegan to being in a relationship with someone who loves cheese and going out to eat. I just didn't monitor my intake and over 3 years I put on nearly 50 lbs.

I decided to stop letting other people make my meal decisions, its my own fault if I don't eat right its my own fault if I don't work out.
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Because I am... Altho, I am working on not being so fat.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    True confession? After I was diagnosed with Type 1,at age 9, I lived a life of being told I couldn't have this, couldn't have that. Poor Corinne, she can't have this candy, like everybody else. I'll cut up an apple and she'll feel it's just as good. Guess what!!! It wasn't, and still isn't!
    So, after reflecting on this while talking to a dietician, I realized that I eat what I want, when nobody's watching. I've always been told I do such a good job, I take such good care of myself. Yeah, in public. When it's just me, I struggle. I always have cravings for anything I'm not suppose to have.
    So, here I am now, age 49, still battling these demons. I start every day with great intentions. That's why, many of you who see my diary, see that it's not finished on most days. There's a good reason for that. I can't face my own realities.
    I did great for while. I've fallen off. Luckily, I've only gained back 2 pounds since I started. But, It's so damned discouraging.
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Always been on the big side in the sense that I inherited my mother's side on height and my father's side on build (and he was built like a UK style rugby player!).

All was well to begin with but then there was a big family trauma (which I won't go into) when I was 8 and things just went pear-shaped from there onwards.Or rather, food shaped - I ate anything and as much as I could, as I was SO unhappy. Carried on like this until I met "my" man (to whom I am still happily married for nearly 40 years) and lost lots of weight - a slim bride - but put weight on with each of 2 pregnancies. I didn't deal with the weight at the time and then there was another year of horror for me when I tried very hard not to turn to food for comfort but still did so on occasion and would stuff myself until I was sick.

Roll on 16 years and I decide to start training to be a counsellor; now by this I mean taking a counselling skills course first to check on my suitability and to see if it really was for me. I was suitable but I didn't feel it was something I could do full time, so I didn't pursue it as a career BUT on the way, during the counselling skills, I learned such a lot about myself and what makes me tick that I started to actively work out why it was I ate whenever I got stressed/upset/angry - whatever. In other words, every time I craved a food, I tried to note down why I wanted it and tried to address the underlying problem rather than reach for the food and start the self-dislike cycle all over again.

Well, I've lost nearly 60 pounds so far, using both the skills I learned, the self-knowledge and the courage to face up to underlying problems that were causing me to overeat. Oh, and MFP and my pals here helped too - lots and lots of credit to them for their unwavering support.

Still got a long way to go but I am going to continue with this method of addressing any underlying problem - it has really, really helped and I hope to hit goal in about 14 - 18 months from now.

P.S. My goal only shows 210 at present but my final goal is actually 140, so I actually have about 80 to go - not quite half way yet - hence the 12 to 18 months prediction of how long it will take.
  • marionmmm
    Options
    May be hard to believe, but I drink a lot of beer...
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I was 160 at 5'5 for years too and I used to be self conscious but looking back I think "i wish i still looked like that" lol. I'm fat because I had 3 babies in 3 years.. I have 4 all together. I never lost the baby weight after I had my son, then 6 months later I got pregnant with my other son and 6 months after I gave birth to him, I got pregnant with my daughter. So yeah, that's why.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Well I'm not fat anymore but earlier this year I was, I was basically fat all my life, always overweight as a kid, my parents never really cooked for me since I turned about 5 so I just sort of ate whatever there was and I used food as a comfort because of a cruel mother... So nothing really nutritious and overeating on just things like crisps, snacks, ready meals etc. it just became a way of life for me and I always hated being fat but didn't really know how to stop bad habits properly... :) but I know now though and for once I am actually healthy weight....not quite where I want to be though :)
  • juniorsmomma
    Options
    strangely, when l was pregnant with my son (19months old) l lost 10kgs, but the minute he was born, it was as if it came back with a vengence and brought lots of couzins with to make me fat. Besides, l tend to nibble alot too. think l need to go on the diet l was on when l was pregnant. i just could not stand any food, except soup.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Because I love to eat and drink :heart: :drinker:

Seriously though, I never learnt proper nutrition and I hated exercise :)
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I drink too much water.

:drinker: :laugh:
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Food = love :(
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    same reason why everyone else gets fat - I ate too much and didn't exercise
  • kiran58
    Options
    I had a meniscus tear in my left knee and i was immobile for almost few months. I limped after that for almost 2 years and all this hit me mentally, my personality and brought me down badly in my self confidence also. Doctors advised me to loose weight and wouldnt operate on my knee, which was good in a way.... all the depression and keeping myself closed up always, putting up a bravefront actually made me put on a lot of flesh on the areas which is so tough now to get rid off!
    I ve somehow managed to shed off 5 kgs since then and need to loose another 7kgs atleast....
    I also feel that if i take any kind of hard drinks i add on a lot of calories :( , water retention and get bloated....
  • ThousandOaksVilla
    Options
    I was slim, then fat, then slim and now fat. again :(

I am fat because I eat and my 'need' for chocolate and crisps is bigger than my 'need' to be slim at the moment