Why are you fat?

Options

Replies

• leelo2003
    leelo2003 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also could give many excuses i know i wasn't fat when i was 5.
    Can't remember when i started getting fat, i tell everyone it was the summer i was 8 when i got run over and couldn't walk for 6 weeks and the guy that ran me over bought me sweets everyday but that may have been the start but not full reason, basically I'm fat because i never thought about what i eat and the lack of activity i do.
    I don't think about food or whats in it i just pick it up and devour it.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    im not. trololol
  • spicymariaelena
    spicymariaelena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have actually always been small, until I had my son when I was 40 years old. Now 2 years later I still have not went back to the size I was. I hate that I am now 153 and a size 10, only because of my stomach area. I really really really hate being this size, and don't feel that I look that great. I am trying to find a place where I think I can lose weight. I have been a member of MFP for awhile but I have a hard time eating only 1200 calories a day. I need structure, any ideas anyone??
  • Giovanna_Isabella_Santarelli
    Options
    I'm not fat but i am slightly overweight for my height. I gained weight because i turned to food for comfort and stopped exercising!
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    I started barbell strength training. I wanted to ride the novice curve as long as possible, so I ate at a surplus...

..but instead of a well-planned, controlled bulk, I went on the "see-food" diet. If I saw it, I ate it. I was also going through about 2 gallons of whole milk a week. I added 25 pounds of fat (on top of a lot of muscle) in 7 months.

OOPS!

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. And I ATG squat more than a lot of the guys at my gym.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I've been a compulsive over eater since I was a teenager. I used food for comfort, relaxation, to reward myself, to deal with boredom, etc. I pray that I am done with that now.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Most likely you can eat more that 1200 and still lose weight. Do some reading of the many threads of people trying to do the 1200 thing.
    I have actually always been small, until I had my son when I was 40 years old. Now 2 years later I still have not went back to the size I was. I hate that I am now 153 and a size 10, only because of my stomach area. I really really really hate being this size, and don't feel that I look that great. I am trying to find a place where I think I can lose weight. I have been a member of MFP for awhile but I have a hard time eating only 1200 calories a day. I need structure, any ideas anyone??
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Popular post...gotta add my two cents..journey starts with being accountable, no? I am fat because I either eat too much or cut cals too far and send my body into starvation mode; have way too much stress and am a stress eater, the bottom line anyone is fat is because you aren't working off what you take in (unless you have the whole starving flight or fight thing goin on). You can blame it on hormones, metabolism, etc. etc. but very few people can do so legitimately, and if you can, how did you get that way? You ate too much or stressed too much and your body stasis couldn't be maintained! Well, I am here because I am sick and tired of being fat and just because I am 50 so does NOT mean I gotta look like it or feel like it! I used to say well I may not look like much for a mom but I'm pretty hot for a gramma Well maybe I don't want people to be able to tell I'm a gramma! LOL Didn't think I needed the social gratification to keep on but apparently I do because one week into this and I cannot believe how supportive you guys are of each other and us newbies! The best part is I realize that a lot of my current problem is just not eating enough, but how to do so without overeating? The food diary is excellent for that, for example of COURSE I'm gonna feel like the Michelin tire guy the morning after eating 3 times the recommended amount of sodium! It's about learning how to eat without depriving but eat smarter, AND portion recognition. Prime example is fill a bowl with as much cereal and milk as you would normally eat, then measure it out! Eye opener! Anyway I just rambled on here A LOT longer than I had planned...Will be a good journey to the New Me with my New Friends and tools. Thanks!
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wait! Just realized,...I am NOT over weight - I am UNDERSHORT! HAHA HAD to throw that in! (Besides - I am 5'3" and the oldest of my sibs...Mom was 5'7", Sis is 5'8", and my bros and dad are all like 6 feet! The gene pool took one look at me and said oh crap ad height! Quick! LOL)
  • AnneMarie1966
    AnneMarie1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat too much of the wrong foods, and don't appear to have a 'full' button :( however I joined a fitness camp end of July, so toned up a bit, but didn't lose weight, have developed a healthy habit of getting out of bed at a ridiculous hour 3 mornings a week, exercise done and get on with the day.
    I know the exercise won't happen if I don't do it first thing, work interferes - too many long hours recently! So to add something else to the exercise, I joined Slimming world last week, first meeting will be this Monday, determined to stay as have not a clue how it works!
    Fingers crossed, with exercise and some discipline around food, I hope to see some weight falling off now....
  • nisia915
    nisia915 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Frustration and defiance.

I know I can lose weight, I know I can workout, I know I can eat healthy and be happy.

When I was younger, my dad was a marathon runner, wanted me in sports and to constantly be better. He pushed me a lot, but not in the right way. It was always "why can't you be like my best friends daughter? she does more than you, she workout longer than you do, she knows the play, why can't you" It pissed me off to no end so eventually I stopped altogether. I quit sports because I had had enough of being compared to my best friend at the time, I didn't wanna end up hating her just because of my dad.

In college it got better. I went to the gym every morning, I even went dancing a lot. I drank more water, I lost a lot of weight. Then I moved back home after graduation and I stopped working out because my dad kept criticizing my workout, then wanted to show me he could do beat me in the number of reps I did. So I moved out again.

I moved in with my now fiancee. We go running several times a week together, we use a food scale, we drink close to 10 bottles of water a day, we workout, and we eat a lot more vegetables. Together we lost 60pounds. in about a year.

It was an excuse, I see that now. It was annoying. And it was easier to just stop and avoid the incessant nagging.

I know my dad thought he was helping but he really wasn't and overall it wasn't a method that worked for me.

Now I am taking back my life and trying my best to remember I am the only one who decides what I can and can't do, and it has helped a lot that I have the love and support of my soon-to-be husband!
  • Chellelyn8112
    Chellelyn8112 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Got married then lost my job. Turned lazy, lazy,lazy! Was skinny all my life. Hard to believe I have been this heavy for 6 yrs. I don't even associate with this person as being me. I can say since gaining what I have became the most insecure person and my own worst enemy to boot! Why didn't I do something when I started to gain the first 10 lbs?! 60 lbs later here I am! But , I have great children and a hot awesome husband! And really I just need to get my booty in gear and not let my thirty continue this way!
  • Prettypedalpower
    Options
    Psych meds following 2 significant bereavements... Became numb to everything but the delicious taste of take away
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Psych meds following 2 significant bereavements... Became numb to everything but the delicious taste of take away

Psych meds are a b*^#h when it comes to weight control. I have been on several over the last few years and those damn anti-anxiety drugs cause me to eat like it is my job. I just didn't CARE I was getting fatter and fatter. Then when I had to switch to something else and had withdrawals...I swear eating something sugary/fatty was the only thing that made me feel (temporarily) better. I got sick of being on them for years with NO improvement and about a month ago started tapering down verrrry slowly. All of sudden I'm eating healthy all but one day of the week, going to the gym everyday that it is feasible with my schedule and now I've been off them completely for a week or so and I feel better than I have in a long time. Don't get me wrong, many years ago I was on meds that worked great and didn't do this, so I'm not knockin' 'em completely, but, damn, they can wreak havoc on one's appetite...
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Different reasons. I started gaining weight after a new medication. But this past year or so, I've been eating out of boredom and eating for comfort. I'm restricting my calories now, but it's hard because I always want to eat.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Psych meds are a b*^#h when it comes to weight control. I have been on several over the last few years and those damn anti-anxiety drugs cause me to eat like it is my job. I just didn't CARE I was getting fatter and fatter. Then when I had to switch to something else and had withdrawals...I swear eating something sugary/fatty was the only thing that made me feel (temporarily) better. I got sick of being on them for years with NO improvement and about a month ago started tapering down verrrry slowly. All of sudden I'm eating healthy all but one day of the week, going to the gym everyday that it is feasible with my schedule and now I've been off them completely for a week or so and I feel better than I have in a long time. Don't get me wrong, many years ago I was on meds that worked great and didn't do this, so I'm not knockin' 'em completely, but, damn, they can wreak havoc on one's appetite...

May I ask what psych meds you were on? I started gaining weight when my doctor put me on geodon.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    As much as I would like to blame my parents for my upbringing and the choices of food they chose to buy, and bring into the house. I honestly only have myself to blame for eating the stuff.

I used to eat whatever because I didn't really know any different. My family would eat for literally any occasion, so I looked at food as comfort, celebration, etc. etc.
    I had to change the way I looked at food. Now I try to only look at it as nutrition, and occasionally for celebration of something major, but not for every situation like I used to.
  • femmebb23
    Options
    My whole family is fat and I've been fat pretty much forever. I've got a picture of me from when I was two and I had the chubbiest little tomato face ever. When I was little, I was always hungry for some reason and I didn't know when to stop eating. I'd probably eat like 6 times a day and even though I'd have to ask my mom to use the microwave or to have a snack, she'd say "go ahead, but this is the last one." When I got older,, I still hadn't figured out a proper portion size or anything like that, plus I just really liked food. I still struggle with portion size to this day and it really sucks. Like milk for example, it's good when you drink the proper amount, but it's a lot of sugar if you drink more than that. All the glasses in our house are huge, so when I fill the milk up only to the 1 cup point, it looks like I'm barely drinking anything, so I always find myself mindlessly filling it up all the way. Making changes like that is hard because you don't always catch yourself.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never get full is why. I should of went into a career with competitive eating now thinking about it.