Why are you fat?

Options

Replies

• Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Psych meds following 2 significant bereavements... Became numb to everything but the delicious taste of take away

Psych meds are a b*^#h when it comes to weight control. I have been on several over the last few years and those damn anti-anxiety drugs cause me to eat like it is my job. I just didn't CARE I was getting fatter and fatter. Then when I had to switch to something else and had withdrawals...I swear eating something sugary/fatty was the only thing that made me feel (temporarily) better. I got sick of being on them for years with NO improvement and about a month ago started tapering down verrrry slowly. All of sudden I'm eating healthy all but one day of the week, going to the gym everyday that it is feasible with my schedule and now I've been off them completely for a week or so and I feel better than I have in a long time. Don't get me wrong, many years ago I was on meds that worked great and didn't do this, so I'm not knockin' 'em completely, but, damn, they can wreak havoc on one's appetite...

May I ask what psych meds you were on? I started gaining weight when my doctor put me on geodon.

The worst offenders were Paxil (paroxetine), Atvian (lorazepam), and Effexor (venlafaxine)...especially Paxil. I probably gained close to 20lbs while on Paxil for a very short time...I didn't care about anything...in the past when I was in the process of getting fat, I cared...I cared a lot. On Paxil, I knew damn well I was getting fatter and just didn't care...and getting OFF Paxil...Now that was tough and I swear I ate something sugary/fatty every half hour or so to chase away the nasty withdrawals.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    coz i think i eat to much people say im a fat cow anyways so it must be true but hopfully ill loose it soon :cry:

Use that 'fat cow' to help. I did. Hubby & son used to call me that, even though they thought they were not being mean & I know they were not. But I used that at the start (and still do). I would write on my water bottle.... "try harder fat cow" "how now fat cow" "may the cow be with you" & stuff like that. It helped me by putting it there myself I knew it was ME that could stop it from being said.

I still have my photo up on the fridge of my very 1st workout & at my heaviest with the words "try harder you fat cow" in texta on the top.

It works if you use it as a motivation.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat.

Then why did you respond to this thread? The question was for fat people.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat.

So you have to be fat? I guess I'll back out again then.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    coz i think i eat to much people say im a fat cow anyways so it must be true but hopfully ill loose it soon :cry:

Use that 'fat cow' to help. I did. Hubby & son used to call me that, even though they thought they were not being mean & I know they were not.

Oh my, how is calling your wife/mother a fat cow NOT mean??!! I cannot imagine my fiancé and daughter doing that...I'd be crushed. My daughter is 3 and when she was a little younger and more roly-poly toddler we used to rub her belly and squeeze her thighs and say "Oh, I love your chubby legs." or "Oh, I love this chubber belly." One day we are sitting on the floor and my muffintop is spilling out of some pj pants and she pokes it and says, "Oh, I love your chubber." I know she meant it well because when we did it to her, it was a good thing, so naturally she wasn't trying to be mean, but that about broke my heart. Terribly embarrassing. I was hoping it would motivate me to lose weight but it actually made me MORE depressed which in turn, I ate more. That was awhile back and I'm on the right track now, but that is still stuck in my mind and makes me self-conscious of my "chubber" around her now.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat.

Because I wanted to be a pain in the a** I guess, sorry.. joking. I was fat.. not everyone on here is fat. Some people joined to gain weight too. Have a great day.
  • Laffinhippiegurl
    Laffinhippiegurl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Always been fat. Fat baby, fat toddler, fat child, fat teen, fat adult. Of course i got bigger as I grew up... both naturally bigger and vertically bigger? My eating was definitely a problem... that and i didn't really exercise. I would eat 1, maybe 2, meals a day that were probably around the 4000 calorie range just themselves. :P while working or going to school. I also say i have a few medical issues that have always kept me big lol

All of this^ and... I'm an emotional eater. I'm a buddy eater. I love food. And I'm basically lazy. Learning how to exercise...in my 30's. Better late than never. :tongue:
  • femmebb23
    Options
    I'm on 150mg Effexor right now and I hate it so much. It makes losing weight more difficult and it does nothing to help my depression and anxiety. When I forget to take it for a day or two, I have crazy withdrawal symptoms. I've no idea why my doctor even put me on it in the first place, it does way more harm than good.
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My parents fed me as a child, chocolate here, candy there, you know how it goes.. and when I was old enough, I just didn't take myself into my own hands and did something about that, spending 16 years as a fat person. at 16 I started starving myself, although I was also binging and fasting, kinda like bulimics do but without the purging. I was diagnosed to EDNOS (ed not other specified), and after a while gained everything back (over eating, like I used to do before)... so yeah, now you know my story ^^"
    (I'm 5"6.5', my lowest was 172lb during ED, and highest 231.5lb before I started the current weight loss)
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I'm on 150mg Effexor right now and I hate it so much. It makes losing weight more difficult and it does nothing to help my depression and anxiety. When I forget to take it for a day or two, I have crazy withdrawal symptoms. I've no idea why my doctor even put me on it in the first place, it does way more harm than good.

This time around Effexor did nothing for me. I used it about 12 years ago and it was great for the anxiety I had back then but not this time. The withdrawals are terrible. I tapered off by doing half doses instead of regular doses, then quarter doses, then I would just cut shards off of the quarter, then take a shard every other day...it was not too too bad, but Effexor withdrawal is never fun.
  • Masovera
    Options
    Because I eat too much, drink too much wine, exercise too little and make too many excuses, like being menopausal/ post menopausal.
  • l0l0p
    l0l0p Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cause my input is more than my output....reversing in progress...WTG!:bigsmile:
  • MrsBrown104
    MrsBrown104 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    o gosh.
    lack of motivation. lack of self control.
    ive always been slightly overweight. in high school I started playing soccer, and lost close to 35 pounds. after high school I got busy with work, and drinking, and I didn't seem to be putting on weight. however about 2 years ago I noticed that I started gaining weight, and have been ever since. ive gained probally 70 pounds in 2 years. its now time to do smething about this!
  • femmebb23
    Options

Use that 'fat cow' to help. I did. Hubby & son used to call me that, even though they thought they were not being mean & I know they were not. But I used that at the start (and still do). I would write on my water bottle.... "try harder fat cow" "how now fat cow" "may the cow be with you" & stuff like that. It helped me by putting it there myself I knew it was ME that could stop it from being said.

I still have my photo up on the fridge of my very 1st workout & at my heaviest with the words "try harder you fat cow" in texta on the top.

It works if you use it as a motivation.

It makes me really sad that your husband would call you that. If my boyfriend EVER did that to me, his *kitten* would be on the curb. I know it isn't my place, but I don't think it's healthy that he thinks it's okay to equate you to a farm animal and dehumanize you like that. That isn't what a husband should do, whatsoever.
  • I ate more than I needed to.
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat too much because I LOVE the taste of food, genetics, lack of exercise, too much processed and fast foods. I could probably add a few more but meh
  • BrendaVJP
    BrendaVJP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Anyone who doesn't pay attention to correct food choices can fall under your "fat category". The fat label comes from not having an awareness to food and unconscious eating. Since I've joined MFP I look at the stats daily and log in my information. I have chosen now to pay more attention to when and what I eat as well as exercise rather then just eating what I want and at any given time. It's great to do that. It's like being on a budget you have to pay attention to every single cent and it benefits you greatly in the end. People also don't structure themselves for "me" time. They take care of everyone else. In the last few days of paying attention to what I eat. I am feeling amazing. If I keep this up then I guess I'll be answering the question: Why am I skinny?
  • brotundkase
    brotundkase Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I snack a lot when I'm anxious or have too much work to do, and sometimes I choose high-calorie foods like peanut butter :frown: I also eat too many simple carbs because I find them hard to resist (that's why I gained 10 f-ing pounds in one year)
  • jlkarnes
    jlkarnes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My weight has always varied since middle school, constantly going up and down. I was always in a healthy range though, just gaining and dropping 10-20 pounds here and there. However, once I got to college, I got depressed and started putting on more weight. I started around 125, but by the end of Freshman year I was 135. By the end of Sophomore year, I was 145, and now I am at my highest and scariest, 160. I am only 5' 0", so I am definitely way too high for my health. My depression is in full swing, and I'm pretty sure that it has a lot to do with my eating habits and lack of exercise.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I became "fat" because I ate - and certainly drank - far too much as a method of dealing with certain events in my life (not an uncommon story). I stayed fat, however, by making excuses and persuading myself that the mythical land of tomorrow (as much a foreign country as the past I assure you L.P. Hartley) was a much better time to worry about sorting things out. This coupled with the abandonment of weight training and sports which had mitigated a lot of the potential damage growing up created the situation I am in today.

There is more to it than this as I'd wager is usually the case but broadly this is why.