EVERYONE IS NOT HAPPY FOR ME

Options
shabrick00
shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
So this is my second encounter with a friend/co-worker trying to put a damper on my success...I shared this pic with a co worker and I asked did she notice a difference she said "yes but i think its because of the way you were positioned". I was blown away by her comment...Tell me what you think.
[img]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab286/shabrick00/mfp pics/d9d7c8c8-2a57-4005-9204-81ed897cab4f_zpse8b4fa10.jpg[/img]

Replies

• Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    u look beautiful in first pic!!
  • shabrick00
    Options
    u look beautiful in first pic!!
    Thank you!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A lot of people respond poorly to obvious fishing for compliments.

Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Normally, I'm thrown off when ppl post their "after" pic to the left of their "before" pic, but I can clearly tell which one is your after pic. :flowerforyou: I don't think that the position that you're sitting in would affect the fat that I no longer see on your neck. Your face looks smaller. Your coworker is a hater. I, um, hate that word and rarely use it bc I'm fortunate enough to not know a lot of ppl like that. But, yep, she's a true hater. I wouldn't consider her a friend. Just call her a coworker.
    Wow. That was rude, even though you followed it up w a compliment. You sound like her coworker...She may have not been fishing for compliments. She probably just wanted to know if others could tell that she lost the weight. How many posts do you see from ppl who say that they've lost weight, but they just don't see the results?
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Big difference. By the way, you are looking really great. Well done!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hey, Shabrick --

Even if the angle is slightly up in one and down in the other, you can CLEARLY see that your face is thinner!!! Sounds like your co-worker likes things the way they are and doesn't look forward to a more confident, radiant you!!!

Ignore her and just keep doin' what you're doin'...some people can only make themselves feel better by putting others down.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hey, Shabrick --

Even if the angle is slightly up in one and down in the other, you can CLEARLY see that your face is thinner!!! Sounds like your co-worker likes things the way they are and doesn't look forward to a more confident, radiant you!!!

Ignore her and just keep doin' what you're doin'...some people can only make themselves feel better by putting others down.
    All of this. :smile:
  • shabrick00
    Options

Congratulations on your weight loss.
    wow that was really rude.....but to address your ignorance (lack of knowledge) I only showed her the pictures to encourage her as she is looking to lose weight as well...I dont need anyone to tell me anything because my measurements and the numbers on my scale are going in the right direction.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I'd say that not everyone is going to be happy for you because many don't like to feel one upped, especially when you're achieving what they want to also achieve.
    I've always gone by not really personally taking what other think because it's gonna be subjective. Accept her view, thank her and move on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shabrick00
    Options
    Hey, Shabrick --

Obviously not!
    I live by this "some people can only make themselves feel better by putting others down. " But you wouldnt want to think these thoughts of someone you considered a friend...
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    not everyone can tell after 13 pounds. on myself, i still cant tell. :( im thinking maybe 50 pounds.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    you do look prettier and healthier and such but the before picture wasn't the nicest of before pictures in the first place.

because

after:
    makeup
    better lighting
    better angle
    hair done
    (amongst being healthier and thinner looking)

Before:
    Make-upless
    Poor lighting
    The dreadful under chin angle (flatters no one)
    Hair just average
    (without the lustre of healthier skin and hair and such)

So i would say I'm happy for you and your loss but also that when comparing two pictures it's best to have them both have as close to the same circumstances as possible. If you are looking your best at the time in the before, you should in the after. If you are looking laid back and average in the before, you should do the same for the after. with the same angles of course. It just makes it easier to actually compare your differences (and successes) between the two rather than just the differences between the pictures... if you understand?

(coming from someone who took photography courses and knows that there are lighting, angles and tricks one can do (or accidentally do) to make themselves look better or worse in a picture.)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Ok. Honest opinion here.

You look beautiful before AND after. Like I think you're a super beautiful lady - and I commend you on a job well done!!

But honestly, one of my personal pet peeves is when people (in weight loss ads, TV, MFP, anywhere) have a before photo where they are clearly not looking their absolute best. No makeup, maybe not the cutest hairstyle or outfit they own...stuff like that...and then the after photo is of them at their best, with perfect hair/makeup and so on.

I do understand that for a lot of people it just has more impact that way. That is why advertisers tend to go that route. And I get it that sometimes if a person has gained a lot of weight they may not be at their best mentally/emotionally and therefore dress less carefully etc. Then when they lose weight and confidence builds, some people are more likely to take more pride in their style and their appearance in general.

BUT...I love it when people show before/after that has them the "same way" heavier & thinner. Whether natural and casual, or dolled up. To me personally it just has more impact that way and the change seems even more obvious.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    not everyone can tell after 13 pounds. on myself, i still cant tell. :( im thinking maybe 50 pounds.

Until I lost about 20lbs most people did not notice. Hang in there and do it for yourself.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! There is a big difference. Very noticeable.

Don't give a thought to her comment. Honestly, we need to lose and be at our best for ourselves. No one else. While it is great to hear praise from others our own feelings about our bodies are the only ones that really count.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    So this is my second encounter with a friend/co-worker trying to put a damper on my success...I shared this pic with a co worker and I asked did she notice a difference she said "yes but i think its because of the way you were positioned". I was blown away by her comment...Tell me what you think.
    [img]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab286/shabrick00/mfp pics/d9d7c8c8-2a57-4005-9204-81ed897cab4f_zpse8b4fa10.jpg[/img]

I can see a definite difference in your face! You look great! Congrats!
  • Munchkin73113
    Munchkin73113 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great work! Keep it up, and you look wonderful! Don't worry about others, it's not their journey! ; )
  • shabrick00
    Options
    Big difference. By the way, you are looking really great. Well done!
    Thanks so much!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You look like two different people - good work! That first picture was taken from an angle that looks unflattering on almost everyone, so I'd give your coworker/friend the benefit of the doubt. Other people don't always notice our achievements.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    you do look prettier and healthier and such but the before picture wasn't the nicest of before pictures in the first place.

because

after:
    makeup
    better lighting
    better angle
    hair done
    (amongst being healthier and thinner looking)

Before:
    Make-upless
    Poor lighting
    The dreadful under chin angle (flatters no one)
    Hair just average
    (without the lustre of healthier skin and hair and such)

So i would say I'm happy for you and your loss but also that when comparing two pictures it's best to have them both have as close to the same circumstances as possible. If you are looking your best at the time in the before, you should in the after. If you are looking laid back and average in the before, you should do the same for the after. with the same angles of course. It just makes it easier to actually compare your differences (and successes) between the two rather than just the differences between the pictures... if you understand?

(coming from someone who took photography courses and knows that there are lighting, angles and tricks one can do (or accidentally do) to make themselves look better or worse in a picture.)

Exactly!!

I have a selfie on my computer of me 5 years ago when I weighed 89 lb more than I do right now. I look thinner, and honestly prettier, in that photo!!! It was a selfie in the car with some kind of magical lighting. But I also have photos taken around the same time that show how rough I looked then, too. Photos are seriously tricky that way.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!