EVERYONE IS NOT HAPPY FOR ME

Options

Replies

• shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So this is my second encounter with a friend/co-worker trying to put a damper on my success...I shared this pic with a co worker and I asked did she notice a difference she said "yes but i think its because of the way you were positioned". I was blown away by her comment...Tell me what you think.
    [img]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab286/shabrick00/mfp pics/d9d7c8c8-2a57-4005-9204-81ed897cab4f_zpse8b4fa10.jpg[/img]

I think she was wrong. It's not just because of how you were positioned. It's because of how you were positioned +lighting +makeup +hairstyle. Sorry but you are asking what I think. That is what I think.
    LOL....Thank you very much for your detail....lol I guess the make up that I didnt have on my neck makes it look thinner too....or my hair makes my neck look thinner or the lighting....I appreciate your honesty...:happy:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Your "friend" is blind, but it's also important in this journey that you not rely on the confirmations of others. You are the judge of how you're doing, and the compliments will sound all the sweeter when they come unsolicited.
  • shabrick00
    Options
    Your "friend" is blind, but it's also important in this journey that you not rely on the confirmations of others. You are the judge of how you're doing, and the compliments will sound all the sweeter when they come unsolicited.
    this so much sense...Thanks for reminding me of this along with so many others
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Ok. Honest opinion here.

You look beautiful before AND after. Like I think you're a super beautiful lady - and I commend you on a job well done!!

But honestly, one of my personal pet peeves is when people (in weight loss ads, TV, MFP, anywhere) have a before photo where they are clearly not looking their absolute best. No makeup, maybe not the cutest hairstyle or outfit they own...stuff like that...and then the after photo is of them at their best, with perfect hair/makeup and so on.

I do understand that for a lot of people it just has more impact that way. That is why advertisers tend to go that route. And I get it that sometimes if a person has gained a lot of weight they may not be at their best mentally/emotionally and therefore dress less carefully etc. Then when they lose weight and confidence builds, some people are more likely to take more pride in their style and their appearance in general.

BUT...I love it when people show before/after that has them the "same way" heavier & thinner. Whether natural and casual, or dolled up. To me personally it just has more impact that way and the change seems even more obvious.

Though what you say about before and after photos is true, it's equally important to note that people feel a lot better about themselves when they have lost weight, or taken similar steps for themselves, and so they are more likely to change other thing about their looks...like sweeping the hair away from that beautiful face! It's part and parcel of the whole package, people feeling better about themselves and as a result doing more for themselves.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So this is my second encounter with a friend/co-worker trying to put a damper on my success...I shared this pic with a co worker and I asked did she notice a difference she said "yes but i think its because of the way you were positioned". I was blown away by her comment...Tell me what you think.
    [img]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab286/shabrick00/mfp pics/d9d7c8c8-2a57-4005-9204-81ed897cab4f_zpse8b4fa10.jpg[/img]

I think she was wrong. It's not just because of how you were positioned. It's because of how you were positioned +lighting +makeup +hairstyle. Sorry but you are asking what I think. That is what I think.
    LOL....Thank you very much for your detail....lol I guess the make up that I didnt have on my neck makes it look thinner too....or my hair makes my neck look thinner or the lighting....I appreciate your honesty...:happy:

Good I'm glad you're not a crybaby like some guy the other day...here nor there. YOU my friend are on your way to being the scariest thing to walk my husband in front of....so if you see some mexican chick take her husbands hand and walk him across the street while dangling a candy in front of his eyes it's just because I don't want him to get an eye full of your eye candy. LOL.
  • shabrick00
    Options

ETA: see 5 minute makeovers thread
    ETA II: don't mind me I'm a makeup lady who lives in a town where headshots are big business
    ETA III: you are beautiful regardless
    ETA IV: if you have actually lost weight more power to you and congrats. Don't rely on others to mirror your success take your own pics same place same posture same clothes and then no one, not a co-worker or makeup lady online can take that away from you. There's a reason bathroom mirror and gym selfies are so popular on here. they show the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
    ETA V: Nobody crucify me today please. I think this thread should have been in motivation and support not success stories but I am getting tired of hearing myself say where the threads go I am starting to feel like I do at home telling people where to put their toys. If I'm tired of hearing me, I bet I'm not the only one. I'll stfu now. JK. I won't. But I will speak the truth, offer sincere support, tell you how to ignore ppl who don't matter, and remind you how not to invite the devil by not asking someone who just happens to get paid the same place you do for their opinion on something only you can be the judge of.
    HAHA I like you so funny and full of character...and very sarcastic....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    A lot of people respond poorly to obvious fishing for compliments.

Congratulations on your weight loss.

I didn't feel like OP was fishing for compliments. Her post to me read more like "settle a bet" or "validate my perspective" I think those are both valid things to ask opinions thoughts on. I see no fishing here. That's just what I THINK though. this is a very thinky thread. thanks op.
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    HATERS.. I know how you feel .. I have a lot of those in my life. One of them is my own sister.. Oh gotta love them..
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    She's right you're "Positioned " 13 pounds away from the first pic :wink:
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

HA.. Ur funny.
  • shabrick00
    Options
    LOL...I like that!
  • NewYorkJellybean
    NewYorkJellybean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to kind of agree with the poster who said there was an obvious fishing for compliments. HOWEVER, that is something you should do with your friends and/or loved ones. Don't ask co-workers or anyone else who is not considered close to you if they notice the difference. Your friends will be more than happy to tell you they see a difference as will your family and even people here who are walking the same journey you are. Co-workers may have something against you that you don't realize (even if they are nice to your face) and they will try and rain on your parade. Just my 2 cents... If a co-worker of mine offers the compliment, I will take it but I would never ask them if they can tell I've lost weight. At any rate, don't mind that person who was rude...keep on doing what you're doing!!!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes your head is at a different angle and the lighting is different but I looked at your neck. You can do a lot with makeup, sure, but your neck is not makeup. YOU know you're losing, you've got the confident healthy glow in the pic on the left, just keep doing it for YOU.

If it's any consolation, I think I lost about 50 lbs before anyone noticed....and even then it was just "your face looks thinner." Yeah, I lost the equivalent of a small child and that's what people noticed. I lost 100 lbs and still heard about my face. Just keep doing it for you.
  • shabrick00
    Options
    I have to kind of agree with the poster who said there was an obvious fishing for compliments. HOWEVER, that is something you should do with your friends and/or loved ones. Don't ask co-workers or anyone else who is not considered close to you if they notice the difference. Your friends will be more than happy to tell you they see a difference as will your family and even people here who are walking the same journey you are. Co-workers may have something against you that you don't realize (even if they are nice to your face) and they will try and rain on your parade. Just my 2 cents... If a co-worker of mine offers the compliment, I will take it but I would never ask them if they can tell I've lost weight. At any rate, don't mind that person who was rude...keep on doing what you're doing!!!
    thanks for your input but AGAIN i was not fishing for a compliment. I dont need that I have people who love me and constantly remind of how beautiful I am let alone the fact that I know that I am beautiful and dont need anyone to validate me. Next I showed her the picture to encourage her and to let her know that she could lose weight because she now wants to but highly doubts her ability to...Next you must have missed the part where I said that I CONSIDERED HER A FRIEND.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    You can see the difference in you neck and chin. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • shabrick00
    Options
    Yes your head is at a different angle and the lighting is different but I looked at your neck. You can do a lot with makeup, sure, but your neck is not makeup. YOU know you're losing, you've got the confident healthy glow in the pic on the left, just keep doing it for YOU.

If it's any consolation, I think I lost about 50 lbs before anyone noticed....and even then it was just "your face looks thinner." Yeah, I lost the equivalent of a small child and that's what people noticed. I lost 100 lbs and still heard about my face. Just keep doing it for you.
    I will and thank you!...Thats the point im making my neck is not made up and I could clearly see a difference...Im not sure all what you can do with make up because i use the bare minimum. Some people just Dont know what to say sometimes...they like to build themselves up by tearing other down or trying at least...
  • shabrick00
    Options
    You can see the difference in you neck and chin. Congrats on your loss so far!
    thank You
  • sillyli234
    sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I honestly was not 100% sure due to the lighting and angling, but gathered it was the picture with make-up. I don't think what your co-worker said was mean since I had the same issue. What does it matter what anyone thinks anyways? Just keep on losing and being healthy. Congrats on your success!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You were "blown away" by a perfectly neutral statement made by one person? A somehow this translates into "everyone" not being happy for you?

I think you are being oversensitive. (The angles WERE off in the pictures, to be honest.) I'd hate to see how you'd respond if somebody had ACTUALLY insulted you.

But yes, I do see a marked difference. You look very pretty.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Who cares if other people are "happy" for you or not. You're doing this for yourself not them Do you.

Congrats on your loss, and yes I can tell a difference.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!