Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You can tell her kids are not by the same man. Lol!

wut?

Oh congratulations for having simultaneously the least relevant, most catty and most unscientific post in the history of MFP.

Where did we put the award for that again?

That made my brain hurt. I can't even focus on all the other ignorant nonsense here after that.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    So, by the same logic, is this picture controversial?

9qjygh.jpg

The reason why this is getting so much backlash is not the content of the picture or caption itself. It's the discomfort of looking inward and actively thinking about those excuses. It's easier to point fingers at the "bully" than actually examine their lifestyle. It's definitely a projection issue.

I find it equally as stupid.

If diet is the main thing to leaning out how does having one leg provide a barrier to that exactly? Or even working out with the suitable equipment? Am I supposed to cut him some slack simply because he has one leg.

Great transformation. Terrible message.
    Way to miss the f***ing point. The man is missing a leg, instead of sitting around and crying in his cheerios he accomplished something. That something could have been something not related to diet or athletics. The point is that he didn't let having one leg paralyze him and turn him into an excuse factory.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    You can tell her kids are not by the same man. Lol!

wut?

Oh congratulations for having simultaneously the least relevant, most catty and most unscientific post in the history of MFP.

Where did we put the award for that again?

That made my brain hurt. I can't even focus on all the other ignorant nonsense here after that.

I know, right? I have 3 kids. One has brown hair, green eyes, one has brown hair brown eyes, the third has blonde hair blue eyes. Not one of them looks anything like my wife. Only one of them looks anything like me.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I think its great. It sets a standard that all men should seek in a women. Why should we have to compromise when looking for our mate?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'll play devil's advocate here....

People do not like things that are preachy.

It's a one size fits all approach. This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.

Talk to someone who travels for work and puts in 60-70 hours per week....maybe they are slightly overweight. Should they be called out?

Is it reasonable to expect EVERYONE to look like a fitness model?

exactly. I think the photo is inspiring and awesome. She proves that she can stay fit and work hard on her body even with 3 tiny kids. Yay for her! I celebrate that. But I don't like the challenging, condescending tone of the message. It doesn't offend me. I'm not even a mom anyway. But to me it DOES sorta imply that ALL women ***should*** look like that. I don't really agree. They should if they want to. But they are not obligated to look like that.

Thanks for this post. That was me. Right after having my kid when he was tiny and I was nursing while making sure I was completely recovered from a debilitating injury and also nursing some new ones sustained during the pregnancy....I guess you could say I felt my plate was full and I felt I'd chosen my priorities and getting in tip top pageant shape was not one of them. And I knew I could do it anytime I wanted, but I didn't wanted at the time. I think you do read it correctly that it implies that.
  • _amluvstld_
    Options
    I can see how it is kind of an in your face approach, but that works for me. I think she looks amazing and gets no hate from me. I have no doubt in my mind that I can achieve her level of fitness if I put in the same dedication as she did/does. However, I will never achieve her look. It's just not physically possible, at least not without $15,000 in plastic surgery. I also had 3 boys in less than 4 years, and let's just say my pregnancies appear to have taken a much bigger toll on my body than hers did. Still not hate worthy, just the luck of genetics. So given that aspect, I can see how it could possibly rub people the wrong way. It's just not 100% attainable for some. Still, jealousy is an ugly b itch.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You can tell her kids are not by the same man. Lol! Gosh seriously and seriously not jealous at all I will say the title is rude. Not that being out of shape is anyone's fault but there own, still I am sensitive. I mean who would really want to be friends with someone with that personality. It just seems like showing out to me. I find it hard to believe she has ever been overweight in her life and genetically I find it hard to think she will ever be. Plus to have three kids, well these result not typical.

What does her children's father(s) have to do with this?

You find it hard to believe she was ever overweight?! Have you not seen some of the people around here that were 100lbs+ overweight that at at her level of fitness or greater?
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've heard many, many moms say pregnancy weight is impossible to lose. Not "hard," not "difficult," but "impossible." They believe it, and want you to believe it too. Hell, it's part of what drove me to MFP a year after my first munchkin terrorist was born.

This is so crazy, how women tell each other this, how society tells women this. I came to mfp for a similar reason. This myth is so pervasive, that a woman that has had kids or "over a certain age" is just going to be carrying around extra weight as a matter of course. So, I became interested in my own fitness/nutrition and learned that no, it's actually a choice.

I've always been thin. Because of that you'll-be-fat-one-day threat that people love to tell thin people, I took up mfp BEFORE getting pregnant, figured out my experimental maintenance, did some weight lifting, and then got pregnant. At 19 weeks I realize how silly this much prep work for pregnancy is, but now I love mfp, and so won't be quitting it any time soon.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

9qjygh.jpg

The reason why this is getting so much backlash is not the content of the picture or caption itself. It's the discomfort of looking inward and actively thinking about those excuses. It's easier to point fingers at the "bully" than actually examine their lifestyle. It's definitely a projection issue.

I hate to say it but it's male vs. female perception. As women we already feel bombarded with images of bodies better than ours. Some women feel that we are valued on appearance above all other things, to a much greater extent than men. I think in general men are just better about no internalizing things. "Good for this guy, but what does this have to do with me? I don't want to be a body builder anyway." They don't think "Oh my that guy is lean and only has one leg, I must be a lard *kitten*, no one is going to love me, I'll never be good enough".

Personally I'm more inspired by a woman lifting a heavy weight, or enjoying her workout, laughing with her friends, chasing her kids, than I am by a six-pack.

Something like this is awesome:
    sev-fitspiration-3-de.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does.

It doesn't say "you shouldn't use excuses to not change your lifestyle".

It says "you have no excuse to not look as sexy and fit as me".

If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.

Don't confuse what is "implied" with what you have "inferred." I find this to be a common mistake.

And this shouldn't victimize women - it should empower them. If you feel victimized, then you are the problem.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I can see how it is kind of an in your face approach, but that works for me. I think she looks amazing and gets no hate from me. I have no doubt in my mind that I can achieve her level of fitness if I put in the same dedication as she did/does. However, I will never achieve her look. It's just not physically possible, at least not without $15,000 in plastic surgery. I also had 3 boys in less than 4 years, and let's just say my pregnancies appear to have taken a much bigger toll on my body than hers did. Still not hate worthy, just the luck of genetics. So given that aspect, I can see how it could possibly rub people the wrong way. It's just not 100% attainable for some. Still, jealousy is an ugly b itch.

I will say that, in the context of her greater FB presence, it is much more friendly and tame. If you know her as an online personality and brand, you get it. Seeing it as a one off is kind of nauseating, especially for people like me who are just really bored with the whole narcissism thing
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You can tell her kids are not by the same man. Lol! Gosh seriously and seriously not jealous at all I will say the title is rude. Not that being out of shape is anyone's fault but there own, still I am sensitive. I mean who would really want to be friends with someone with that personality. It just seems like showing out to me. I find it hard to believe she has ever been overweight in her life and genetically I find it hard to think she will ever be. Plus to have three kids, well these result not typical.

Hermione-Raising-Hand.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I don't think that's the message she intended to send, and I'm not personally offended by the picture and caption. But if you have
    an analytical mind of any sort you can see that while she might intend her message to be about fitness and health it's obviously about appearance as her appearance is what's being referenced.

The OP wondered why the picture would be controversial and I've clearly explained why it is.

People seem to think its a "hater gonna hate" thing but its actually controversial because it's just another brainless message telling women they have to look a certain way regardless of health or fitness level.

And yeah... I'm sorry... if you can't see that, then you are indeed part of a greater problem in the war women fight against themselves and each other.

And that, my friend, is what is sad.
    Where on earth are you getting this implied message that she is telling women they have to look a certain way (like her)? Her message is simple - even if you have very little free time, you can still reach your goals. She isn't defining your goals or expectations. That's your role.

have to look a certain way?

what way is that??? healthy????

since when is - "non-descript nationality healthy mother of three" the aesthetic demanded for women?

ETA - i cant count kids - more than one always looks like 4

bwaahahahahah....yoovie! me too. i only have had one at a time and have never gotten to learn what it's like to have more...so when i get together with friends with kids i am always taken aback. whoa! did you get another one?
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

edit: picture out

If diet is the main thing to leaning out how does having one leg provide a barrier to that exactly? Or even working out with the suitable equipment? Am I supposed to cut him some slack simply because he has one leg.

Wow. MFP world, you always deliver. :noway:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Hermione-Raising-Hand.gif

to the inner box quote ummmmm, not true I currently have 2 friends with that many kids that look prettier than her. results achievable.

to yoovie so funny lady you are killing me today. yeah,

"if you don't have something nice to say come sit next to me"--olympia dukakis, That one movie I can't rememer the name of.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

9qjygh.jpg

Uh, he clearly had to lift weights to achieve his increased muscle mass.
  • geral4479WECHANGED
    Options
    I'm overweight and I don't think she is fat shaming or being rude. Personally, I don't care otherwise.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does.

It doesn't say "you shouldn't use excuses to not change your lifestyle".

If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.

Don't confuse what is "implied" with what you have "inferred." I find this to be a common mistake.

And this shouldn't victimize women - it should empower them. If you feel victimized, then you are the problem.

yeah I read it as

What's Your Excuse for Not Being the Healthiest Version of Yourself Possible

not

What's Your Excuse for Not Being as Sexy as Me

wtf?

It's mesmerizing to give people a fill in the blank sentence or question and just sit back and watch the crazy stuff they project from their own fears and hangups into that blank - and then turn around and get upset and accuse someone else of putting that in the blank.

you put that there.

no... no it doesn't.

tumblr_m806h3Z7HY1rs1aer.gif
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be. To me, it's inspirational. It shows me first off, that she has an interest in health and fitness. It also shows me that taking care of herself is important to her. I have always thought that if a person can accomplish something then I can to. The only difference would be the way we work towards accomplishing the goal.
  • yoovie
    Options
    It shouldn't be. To me, it's inspirational. It shows me first off, that she has an interest in health and fitness. It also shows me that taking care of herself is important to her. I have always thought that if a person can accomplish something then I can to. The only difference would be the way we work towards accomplishing the goal.

AND!!!! She's also teaching these good habits to her healthy little kiddos!