Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Something like this is awesome:
    sev-fitspiration-3-de.jpg
    This is horrible! How dare Jordin Sparks jump in this picture! Is she not sensitive to the fact that there are morbidly obese people out there who can't jump that high? This picture will only make such persons feel like complete losers.

I just can't stop imagining that she bit her own boob in the next frame.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    So, by the same logic, is this picture controversial?

edit photo out

The reason why this is getting so much backlash is not the content of the picture or caption itself. It's the discomfort of looking inward and actively thinking about those excuses. It's easier to point fingers at the "bully" than actually examine their lifestyle. It's definitely a projection issue.

I hate to say it but it's male vs. female perception. As women we already feel bombarded with images of bodies better than ours. Some women feel that we are valued on appearance above all other things, to a much greater extent than men. I think in general men are just better about no internalizing things. "Good for this guy, but what does this have to do with me? I don't want to be a body builder anyway." They don't think "Oh my that guy is lean and only has one leg, I must be a lard *kitten*, no one is going to love me, I'll never be good enough".

Personally I'm more inspired by a woman lifting a heavy weight, or enjoying her workout, laughing with her friends, chasing her kids, than I am by a six-pack.

edit photo out

I can understand that. The male versus female perception of media or persons in the media varies greatly, in that females do tend to compare those images to themselves way more often than a male would. Unfortunately, too often in a negative way.

But that's exactly the kind of mindset I think this type of photo is trying to combat against. Stop playing the victim; start taking responsibility and time for yourself. You CAN be a mom and still work towards your goals. You CAN be a business owner and still find time for your goals. It's meant to be empowering, not degrading. It's what's being *inferred* that's the problem.

yes. thank you.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does. The implicit message is that there is no excuse and therefore NO REASON for any female to look less fabulous than this woman does.

It doesn't say "you shouldn't use excuses to not change your lifestyle".

It says "you have no excuse to not look as sexy and fit as me".

I for one can think of many reasons why many women of all ages and types might not look anything like her while offering no excuses and pursuing the best, healthiest lifestyles there is.

To state it another way, this photo and caption is offensive because its clearly referencing outward appearance as the primary goal for a woman or mother to want to pursue fitness.

If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.

I am part of the problem then, because I feel that saying this victimizes women is laughable.

Apparently I am as well. I think she is beautiful and I am in awe of her amazing stamina to raise threee children that close together and still get them all dressed as well as herself --- the fact that she has a banging body makes me want to be her even more. When I was 400 pounds I would have been pissed... I would have seen it a a personal attack against me.... because at 400 pounds everything weight related was a personal attack against me. Now that I am not that obese person anymore, I am not offended. I am inspired.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Kang, of Sacramento, California, is a former pageant queen and fitness competitor who founded the nonprofit Fitness Without Borders in 2007. She's also a recovering bulimic."

No, she is not your average "stay-at-home" mom. She already had a serious fitness background prior to having kids.

"Kang says she works out five to six days a week, about an hour at a time, doing a half-hour of strength training and a half-hour of cardio — running, the stair climber, or a spin or Zumba class"

She did not achieve that physique by only doing an hour at a time. That is maintenance for her. She achieved this body prior to children while preparing for pageants and fitness competitions. This alone makes it more likely for her to continue having this body after having children.

I don't think this is controversial, but I don't agree that this is achievable for all women. People are ignoring the facts I posted above which came directly from an interview done with her.

An hour a day 5-6 days a week is more time than is necessary to achieve that physique.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate brah
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    summing up so far does the ad...

victimize women? no many other things that are way worse do that
    motivate women? not me, i'm not motivated by accusations but by the other kind of tough love that gives me truth
    empower women? I already knew my power
    alienate women? it would seem so by the vitriol she is getting
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    This is so beyond amazing. I wanna be that woman's best friend!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    "Kang, of Sacramento, California, is a former pageant queen and fitness competitor who founded the nonprofit Fitness Without Borders in 2007. She's also a recovering bulimic."

No, she is not your average "stay-at-home" mom. She already had a serious fitness background prior to having kids.

"Kang says she works out five to six days a week, about an hour at a time, doing a half-hour of strength training and a half-hour of cardio — running, the stair climber, or a spin or Zumba class"

She did not achieve that physique by only doing an hour at a time. That is maintenance for her. She achieved this body prior to children while preparing for pageants and fitness competitions. This alone makes it more likely for her to continue having this body after having children.

I don't think this is controversial, but I don't agree that this is achievable for all women. People are ignoring the facts I posted above which came directly from an interview done with her.

An hour a day 5-6 days a week is more time than is necessary to achieve that physique.

Continue to ignore the fact that she trained for fitness competitions and pageants prior to having children. I'm sure that was for more than an hour a day.

Once again, that is not the life of most women.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    This is so beyond amazing. I wanna be that woman's best friend!

I have lots of friends that look like that now that I just remembered. Where do you live Molly? Maybe you should come to LA?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    That woman is awesome. I would have more respect for her though if she just went around being awesome instead of publishing that pic. That 'fitspiration' has a whiff of challenge in my mind. Sort of "I overcame my challenges - your inability to do the same means you are lesser". I fully acknowledge that most of that comes from what I'm bringing to the table in my own mind, but I think she's a fool if she can't acknowledge the multitude of different interpretations that people can make. Instead she seems to blame the beholder - "not my fault you're so negative" Indeed it's not, but there is no need to attempt to delegitimize what seems to be a fairly common interpretation.

From a different perspective though, if I ran across that picture absent any context, I'd probably say "Good for you!" and go on about my day without a second thought.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Continue to ignore the fact that she trained for fitness competitions and pageants prior to having children. I'm sure that was for more than an hour a day.

Who cares what she did before?

You could look like her with an investment of an hour a day 5 times a week.

Sounds like you have your excuses all lined up though.

As a friend pointed out to me earlier: the difference in mindset between successful people like the woman in the OP and people like ejean is what this conversation really highlights.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    sev-fitspiration-3-de.jpg
    This is horrible! How dare Jordin Sparks jump in this picture! Is she not sensitive to the fact that there are morbidly obese people out there who can't jump that high? This picture will only make such persons feel like complete losers.

I just can't stop imagining that she bit her own boob in the next frame.

fraking snorted
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

unfortunately, the life of most women SHOULD include healthy eating and consistent physical activity and the fact that is usually doesnt is a sad reality we are fighting against.

I work 11 and 12 hour days all the time, plus an almost 2 hour commute, plus i lost a hundred pounds and have tons of physical setbacks that i have to work against or around, plus a booming social life and tons of personal projects. I make the effort to workout regularly because I care about my health and i care about it more than just in a 'am i there yet, can i stop now' way.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

He isn't ignoring it, he just said it is achievable with only the hour per day a few times per week, which is correct.

But hey, excuses are cool too.
  • whierd
    Options

unfortunately, the life of most women SHOULD include healthy eating and consistent physical activity and the fact that is usually doesnt is a sad reality we are fighting against.

I work 11 and 12 hour days all the time, plus an almost 2 hour commute, plus i lost a hundred pounds and have tons of physical setbacks that i have to work against or around, plus a booming social life and tons of personal projects. I make the effort to workout regularly because I care about my health and i care about it more than just in a 'am i there yet, can i stop now' way.

^Now that is an attitude I find inspiring. A big middle finger to the situation and doing it anyway.
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    just saw this while walking past my tv to make lunch. meh good for her. she worked for it she deserves a body like that
  • whierd
    Options

Who cares what she did before?

You could look like her with an investment of an hour a day 5 times a week.

Sounds like you have your excuses all lined up though.

As a friend pointed out to me earlier: the difference in mindset between successful people like the woman in the OP and people like ejean is what this conversation really highlights.

Like one of my favorite quotes, "Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right."
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Didn't you read the memo in 1950! Mom's are not supposed to be even REMOTELY sexy!

Anyway, her facebook page has a great post on her "Apology" which is very tongue planted firmly in cheek, I would post a link but all of you MFP'ers are pretty internet savy:tongue:
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Is it reasonable to expect EVERYONE to look like a fitness model?

I don't think that's what she's saying at all.

For example... My ex is very overweight. He has high blood pressure, his cholesterol is bad and has other issues. He has a gym membership. He claims to be "too busy" to go to the gym. He's not. It's mind over matter which I think is her point. If he wanted to, he could find the time and work out and eventually get off of some of his medications. But, he has that mental block. He truly doesn't want to work out.

I told my ex, I have two jobs, a son to take care of, going to his football games, taking care of two dogs, a house, church & community events, and going out w/friends once in a while. I STILL made time to work out and lose 114 pounds. He can't tell me that I had all the time in the world because I did NOT. It's all a mental game and my ex is a mental case - (threw that one in for free! hahaha)

Again, her point isn't to have everyone look like a fitness model, but to look at their own individual fitness goals and to work towards them.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    A mother of three little boys under the age of four does not have free time. She has obviously had to make the time to take care of herself. I applaud her and wish I had made my health a priority when I was having babies!