Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

um, I have competed and never spent more than an hour a day 5 days a week dedicated to working out, so that statement is ludacris.

Is it?

Ludacris-ps01.jpg

my bad, you got me on spelling... it is LUDICROUS. Better? :flowerforyou:

Crankypuss.

I actually laughed at my mistake, because I am in a ridiculously good mood today and thought it was funny, especially when you included the picture. I can laugh at myself. :wink:
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It's crazy to me that people actually have the audacity to insinuate that this woman is a bad mother for taking time for herself to work on her health and fitness.

The only thing I taught my daughter when I was fat and lazy was how to buy *kitten* groceries, how stuff my face full of *kitten* food, how to sit on my *kitten* and watch tv, how to pile on the pounds, and how to make excuses. But hey, I wasn't spending time working out or preparing food or researching fitness and nutrition, so I must have been a good mom....right??? Not to mention the fact that I was too fat and lazy to get off my *kitten* and take her to the park....or for a walk.....or a bike ride. Yup! Great mom huh?!!!

I will tell you that the lessons that my daughter has learned since I made the decisions to change OUR lives have been immeasurable. The fact that she comments, with pride in her eyes, that she can now "wrap her arms all the way around me" is priceless. The fact that she can tell me what foods are nutritious and why she should be eating them is priceless. The fact that she understands why it's important to be active is priceless.

It's time to look at what is truly important here. That woman didn't put any thoughts in anybody's head that weren't there already. Sometimes it's hardest to look within.

/end rant.

This needs to be quoted again.

Edit to say: Inspiring story. I love that you share your healthy lifestyle and mindset with you daughter. Awesome :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    So, some fit mom with three kids posted a picture and the words "What's your excuse?" to inspire people. And for whatever reason, there's been heap loads of hate regarding the image. Some have even gone so far as calling her a bully or self-righteous. Here's the image and a link to the article:

feb06a8d-e7ad-495d-8841-d859157ac54f_What-s-Your-Excuse.jpg

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/hot-mom-defends-herself-against-facebook-haters-192149769.html

Anyways, I feel sorry for the haters.

Your thoughts?

some people have health issuesd that cause them to be overweight. Whats the background of the lady in the pic? single mom? work from home? nanny? sitters? husband? personal trainer? always been fit and in good health i think you can't call people haters b/c she puts a pic up with her story. some are offended. I have no excuse. I love to eat point blank. AS a single mom, full-time student with a full-time job my stress is high, my time is limited and I love to eat. so not all situations are the same. im happy she's able to look that great with 3 kids so hey!

She has her background on the link you just posted. You might want to read it.

I think the point you are missing is that so many are taking away from this is if you want to be healthy and fit there really isn't an excuse. Owning two businesses and raising three young kids without a nanny and she managed it. Heck, look at anyone in the Success threads. They managed it as well once they stopped giving excuses and just did it. Everyone has some reason why they can't do it. Some people just do it anyways.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

um, I have competed and never spent more than an hour a day 5 days a week dedicated to working out, so that statement is ludacris.

Is it?

Ludacris-ps01.jpg

Crankypuss.

I actually laughed at my mistake, because I am in a ridiculously good mood today and thought it was funny, especially when you included the picture. I can laugh at myself. :wink:

I thought it was the most super fun misspelling evAR
    Options

Is it?

Ludacris-ps01.jpg

Crankypuss.

I thought it was the most super fun misspelling evAR

tee hee, that reminded me of "ROAR, I iz a dinosaur!" lol
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I think that if this image were posted in the MFP fitspo thread, everyone would be like :love: :love: :love:

I do think it sits wrong with some people because it sort of implies that EVERYONE should be able to look like that, or should want to look like that. Which not everyone can look like that and of course not everyone wants to. The image itself doesn't say that, but I could see someone taking it that way. And then they get all offended.

I'm not offended. I think she works hard and looks amazing. I'm not particularly inspired by it because I think it's unrealistic for most women not in the fitness industry to look like that, especially 8 months post partum.

I definitely don't think people should start attacking the woman in the image, saying she's body shaming, etc. And I especially hate the comments that act like since she's fit that means she must be a bad mom. :noway:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    "Kang, of Sacramento, California, is a former pageant queen and fitness competitor who founded the nonprofit Fitness Without Borders in 2007. She's also a recovering bulimic."

No, she is not your average "stay-at-home" mom. She already had a serious fitness background prior to having kids.

"Kang says she works out five to six days a week, about an hour at a time, doing a half-hour of strength training and a half-hour of cardio — running, the stair climber, or a spin or Zumba class"

She did not achieve that physique by only doing an hour at a time. That is maintenance for her. She achieved this body prior to children while preparing for pageants and fitness competitions. This alone makes it more likely for her to continue having this body after having children.

I don't think this is controversial, but I don't agree that this is achievable for all women. People are ignoring the facts I posted above which came directly from an interview done with her.

An hour a day 5-6 days a week is more time than is necessary to achieve that physique.

Continue to ignore the fact that she trained for fitness competitions and pageants prior to having children. I'm sure that was for more than an hour a day.

Once again, that is not the life of most women.

^^^Love This!^^^

Have been contemplating competing before I'm 50 just to say I did it. Have done a lot of research on how much time I would need to be working out, because, yanno, I also have a life and other interests besides picking up the heavy things and being the best me I can be.and I was honestly surprised by how it isn't much more than I'm already putting into it. //shrug//
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can see is if she has the ability to dedicate more time to fitness such as she works in the fitness industry or is a SAHM. That of course makes scheduling easier. If someone wants something bad enough of course he/she will make it happen, but it's difficult and unfair to compare your life to another's if you have certain advantages others may not.

PS-know nothing about this woman or what challenges she faces.

this was my reaction as well. Good for her and all, and I get that it's probably an ad for her work as a personal trainer or something, but plenty of mothers just don't have the time to hit the gym as much as she does to get that body, especially not right after having a baby. Priorities are not an excuse, they are a completely valid reason for most mothers to not have that body.
    Options
    "Kang, of Sacramento, California, is a former pageant queen and fitness competitor who founded the nonprofit Fitness Without Borders in 2007. She's also a recovering bulimic."

No, she is not your average "stay-at-home" mom. She already had a serious fitness background prior to having kids.

"Kang says she works out five to six days a week, about an hour at a time, doing a half-hour of strength training and a half-hour of cardio — running, the stair climber, or a spin or Zumba class"

She did not achieve that physique by only doing an hour at a time. That is maintenance for her. She achieved this body prior to children while preparing for pageants and fitness competitions. This alone makes it more likely for her to continue having this body after having children.

I don't think this is controversial, but I don't agree that this is achievable for all women. People are ignoring the facts I posted above which came directly from an interview done with her.

An hour a day 5-6 days a week is more time than is necessary to achieve that physique.

Continue to ignore the fact that she trained for fitness competitions and pageants prior to having children. I'm sure that was for more than an hour a day.

Once again, that is not the life of most women.

^^^Love This!^^^

Have been contemplating competing before I'm 50 just to say I did it. Have done a lot of research on how much time I would need to be working out, because, yanno, I also have a life and other interests besides picking up the heavy things and being the best me I can be.and I was honestly surprised by how it isn't much more than I'm already putting into it. //shrug//

Do it! Doitdoitdoit!!! I loved it and all of the people I met through competing were supportive and amazing! I have no regrets and seriously, it didn't take more time than normal, except now I don't train 5 days. I might do 3 gym days a week. It was worth saying I did it. And, it was fun.
    Options
    Only thing I can see is if she has the ability to dedicate more time to fitness such as she works in the fitness industry or is a SAHM. That of course makes scheduling easier. If someone wants something bad enough of course he/she will make it happen, but it's difficult and unfair to compare your life to another's if you have certain advantages others may not.

this was my reaction as well. Good for her and all, and I get that it's probably an ad for her work as a personal trainer or something, but plenty of mothers just don't have the time to hit the gym as much as she does to get that body, especially not right after having a baby. Priorities are not an excuse, they are a completely valid reason for most mothers to not have that body.

maybe read what she said, first.....

ETA: I'm a working mom and am able to make time for an hour a day for 3-5 days to workout, too. Its not time consuming. But, it is, however, beneficial to teach our kids to be active and live healthy lifestyles.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't get how it is or even could be offensive. I think it solely has to do with the mentality/interpretation of the reader.
    Excuses won't get you healthy, regardless of your starting point and/or current level of fitness. I just see it as implying that her children are not an excuse for her not to strive for (and achieve) her fitness goals. What's wrong with that? I could hold up an x-ray of my knees, or a pic at my (painfully huge) starting point and say "what's your excuse?" Would that be offensive?

Oh well, If it is I doubt it will be the last offensive thing I say or do today.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Yeah... Going to the park and actually playing with your child on the playground instead of playing on your phone on a park bench (which is one of the ways she stays in shape) is totally unrealistic and unreasonable. Mmmhmmm.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is "What is your excuse?"

We all have them, each and everyone of us may it be fitness or in another area of our lives.

I think many (not all and I am one at times) use excuses to not do what is hard, what is difficult. Losing weight is not as easy as putting on the weight, but nothing in life is easy! Look at other areas of ones life college, work, relationships...etc you have to WORK at every aspect of your life to improve and maintain.

So, a fitness model / trainer posed with her 3 kids to show that she can be fit and healthy. She simply posed the question "What is your excuse?" If someone saw something more than that, perhaps you are looking at yourself and seeing your excuses. She is not saying you can be like me or you have to look like me, she is simply getting you to think about your own excuses and see that there is a way around them. Get up off the computer chair and doing something instead of chastising a woman who has worked hard for what she wanted. It may not be what you or I want, but it was her goals and she obtained them and is maintaining them.

If you want something bad enough you have to and eventually will work for it. :wink:
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    So, some fit mom with three kids posted a picture and the words "What's your excuse?" to inspire people. And for whatever reason, there's been heap loads of hate regarding the image. Some have even gone so far as calling her a bully or self-righteous. Here's the image and a link to the article:

feb06a8d-e7ad-495d-8841-d859157ac54f_What-s-Your-Excuse.jpg

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/hot-mom-defends-herself-against-facebook-haters-192149769.html

Anyways, I feel sorry for the haters.

Your thoughts?

She's hot and I can only hope that someday I'll reach that same level of fitness. Many of our excuses are stupid and pointless. I think the haters are going to hate and those who really want to achieve, will find a way.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Because I am such a google freak, I wanted to share a couple things with those of you that haven't checked out the page with the picture on it on her site, or that saw anything else related to her on the web.

Regarding her having never been overweight? She didn't always look like she does now:

Maria-Kang-Transformation.jpg

Also, regarding digitally enhanced? She addressed this on her site, as well, and posted the following selfie taken with her phone:

maria-kang-photoshoot.jpg

And I really wish I knew why this thread is such a time suck for me today... :wink:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Maria Kang is hot.

Haters gonna hate.

Lazy is never the answer.

/thread
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

no one has time.

we all MAKE it.

if you can make time for soap operas or chatting on the phone with friends on logging into facebook or browsing even one forum on MFP - you have time to be the healthiest version of yourself possible.

truth.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Some people are small minded and not very bright
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I can definitely seen why it's controversial. Seems braggish. I understand it's trying to be motivational but it's just annoying. Being a mom is hard enough with out pressure to look like a fitness model. Of course by no means should you use it as an excuse to be unhealthy either. If you don't want to put in the time, or regulate your eating to that degree, you shouldn't feel pressured too. Sometimes just being healthy is "good enough".

QFT.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    To me it is always to walk a mile in my moccasins. I feel we should applaud each others efforts, encourage those of use who may not be able to do those same things and walk in harmony and love together.