Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

no one has time.

we all MAKE it.

if you can make time for soap operas or chatting on the phone with friends on logging into facebook or browsing even one forum on MFP - you have time to be the healthiest version of yourself possible.

truth.

I'm not disagreeing with this, but I know how busy my mom was with three kids of similar ages, and she made time to go for a run for an hour every day. She is practically a vegetarian and eats 95% clean and healthy.
    She has NEVER looked like the woman in the photo.

Saying, "what's your excuse" is an absurd and confrontational choice of words. It implies far more than if it said, "If I can do it, so can you" or something else that is inspirational without being pushy or braggy.

Personal preference. I would find something like "if I can do it, so can you" to be trite and patronizing.

Just because it doesn't blow air up your skirt in no way makes it wrong or absurd. Just different strokes for different people

WORD!!!!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I like how if some posters don't agree with other posters 100% then we must have excuses.

In fact, I never said anything derogatory or insulting about this woman.

What I quoted were facts from an article where this woman was interviewed and stated that a larger portion of her life has been and is dedicated to fitness than what is being thrown around on this post.

Preparing for pageants from a young age, preparing for fitness competitions, running a fitness based NFP.

Her husband is disabled, she runs two businesses, she works out, she does whatever. Her kids are not school age. And I'm too believe she has no help?

I don't buy it.

There are no excuses. It has nothing to do with my personal goals or value as a woman or ability to exercise.

I just don't believe all the information being spouted about her and her life are 100% true.

She put a picture out there with a tagline. She posited a question on the photo. Hopefully, she was prepared for the ****storm that has ensued. If not, then she didn't think hard enough about it before doing it.

Well, then I guess everyone who posted pictures in the MFP Fitspiration thread better "watch out".

Eye_roll.gif

YUP
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

We've identified your excuse!

This woman does not work out for a living. Her husband is disabled. She owns two (non-fitness-related) businesses. She spends about one hour working out, 5 times a week.

I don't use any excuses, bro. I am 22, unmarried, and have no children. I work out plenty hard and eat right.

However, I know people who are as busy as this woman is, and make time to put in an hour of exercise every day and eat healthy. My mother had three kids of similar ages, worked, and made time to workout every day and she ate/eats a very vegetable-centered diet (with lean meats as well). However, she did/does not look like this woman.

So I find it hard to believe that an hour of exercise per day would get this woman that body 8 months after having a kid (however it might be enough now that she's maintaining). I'd like to see her pregnancy pics for comparison, maybe she only gained about 10 pounds before she gave birth.

<~~~ proof that it does ONLY take an hour a day and yes, I am a mom of 2 who works full time and only works out 3-5 days a week for no more than an hour a day. It IS possible.

the single, never married, no kids argument that moms dont have enough time to exercise. im confused. i'll let this one be cause I dont see the logic circle closing in yet.

me or who I quoted, because I think I got lost....
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I can definitely seen why it's controversial. Seems braggish. I understand it's trying to be motivational but it's just annoying. Being a mom is hard enough with out pressure to look like a fitness model. Of course by no means should you use it as an excuse to be unhealthy either. If you don't want to put in the time, or regulate your eating to that degree, you shouldn't feel pressured too. Sometimes just being healthy is "good enough".

QFT.

I will never be satisfied with 'good enough'.

so you and i are probably going to have to agree to disagree from now on.

'good enough' is what I consider my starting point.

"I am so sick of everyone's lack of honor. I am so sick of everyone's willingness to settle. Why is no one prepared to die for anything? - Rob Bailey
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I don't buy it.

I just don't believe all the information being spouted about her and her life to be 100% true.

So, are we to take this as you think she's lying?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I like how if some posters don't agree with other posters 100% then we must have excuses.

What I quoted were facts from an article where this woman was interviewed and stated that a larger portion of her life has been and is dedicated to fitness than what is being thrown around on this post.

Preparing for pageants from a young age, preparing for fitness competitions, running a fitness based NFP.

Her husband is disabled, she runs two businesses, she works out, she does whatever. Her kids are not school age. And I'm too believe she has no help?

I don't buy it.

There are no excuses. It has nothing to do with my personal goals or value as a woman or ability to exercise.

I just don't believe all the information being spouted about her and her life are 100% true.

She put a picture out there with a tagline. She posited a question on the photo. Hopefully, she was prepared for the ****storm that has ensued. If not, then she didn't think hard enough about it before doing it.

Well, then I guess everyone who posted pictures in the MFP Fitspiration thread better "watch out".

Eye_roll.gif

YUP

I hope you never go in there because I would dislike you picking apart everyone....and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

the single, never married, no kids argument that moms dont have enough time to exercise. im confused. i'll let this one be cause I dont see the logic circle closing in yet.

I'm sorry you're confused, my point was simply that I know how busy mothers can be, and claiming that 8 months after giving birth, women who don't have that woman's body are "making excuses" is ridiculous and unfair. My description of my own situation was in response to being told that I was using motherhood or business as an excuse - which I clearly am not, since I'm working out, dieting, and not a mother.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I don't buy it.

I didn't expect "she's lying" to be one of the excuses, actually. I should have expected that. But I didn't.
  • tihi18
    tihi18 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Interesting argument. I found this woman's body awesome and I would love to look like that. I have before and I can again.

That said women have different body shapes, so I agree with the posters that said it's one thing to promote healthy living quite another to post an image(even if that was not the intention) implying what is your excuse to not have a hot body like mine. Some people interpreted it that way, even if you and I didn't.

When I was active duty we were pretty much all fit...did we all have a body like hers? No some did,some didnt', but we were fit. So while I don't find anything wrong with her image she probably could have worded it differently. If she truly is trying to be motivational...well use motivational words. How easy would it have been to say "If I can do it so can you? No excuses." Whatever. Hope she's not trying to turn this into a business thing, cause words matter.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I can definitely seen why it's controversial. Seems braggish. I understand it's trying to be motivational but it's just annoying. Being a mom is hard enough with out pressure to look like a fitness model. Of course by no means should you use it as an excuse to be unhealthy either. If you don't want to put in the time, or regulate your eating to that degree, you shouldn't feel pressured too. Sometimes just being healthy is "good enough".

QFT.

Freakin' hi5 Yoovie!

To me, good enough is settling and I've done that for too long and had enough of that crap. I'm aiming for being the best I can be and not letting excuses hold me back.

Why bust our butts so hard and put in SO MUCH EFFORT just to get right inside the acceptable line and settle for ALMOST AWESOME.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Guess how many hours per week of exercise went into this:

Comparison-6-13_small.png
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I know this is off topic. Love the Niners theme man! GO NINERS!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

yummy hours is my answer.
  • smwright20
    smwright20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Girls compete with each other WOMEN empower one another. That was her point to empower other women POINT BLANK PERIOD. If you are offended by the "message" the pic "implies" ok you are entitled if that is how you feel. However the way some people are bashing this woman make you no better than what the "message implies" to you. You "can't" do it, that is fine too, but I applaud because she decided that she CAN find a way to get into or back into shape with all the things that she has going on in her life. Women can be so hateful!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I don't buy it.

I didn't expect "she's lying" to be one of the excuses, actually. I should have expected that. But I didn't.

Excuse for what? Not bowing down to this picture and jumping on board with hating her and/or thinking she is just flipping amazing?

I've never met this woman in person or seen a week in her household.

Why would I just believe that what she says or what is said in articles about her hasn't been fluffed to reflect the point she wants to get across.

You just don't like that I don't agree, so that automatically means I must be full of excuses.

I don't agree with your opinion of this picture. Get over it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

No uterus no opinion!
  • jonnythan
    Options

yummy hours is my answer.

Indeed. I spend more time in McD's and Taco Bell every week than the gym.

I just realized that, and think it's hilarious.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

QFT.

Sometimes I am satisfied with "good enough" and sometimes I"m not. Depends on what else is going on in my life.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't buy it.

Why would I just believe that what she says or what is said in articles about her hasn't been fluffed to reflect the point she wants to get across.

Because you would believe it's possible.

You don't believe it's possible.

This is the difference between successful people and unsuccessful people. Successful people see this and think "yeah, I can do that!" or "yeah, I already did that."

Unsuccessful people see "she's lying" and "she's special" and "this doesn't apply to me for some reason."