Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Guess how many hours per week of exercise went into this:

yummy hours is my answer.

Indeed. I spend more time in McD's and Taco Bell every week than the gym.

I just realized that, and think it's hilarious.

I bake way more than I should, but its ok, because moderation is my friend. :smile:
  • Submariner5
    Options

We've identified your excuse!

This woman does not work out for a living. Her husband is disabled. She owns two (non-fitness-related) businesses. She spends about one hour working out, 5 times a week.

I don't use any excuses, bro. I am 22, unmarried, and have no children. I work out plenty hard and eat right.

However, I know people who are as busy as this woman is, and make time to put in an hour of exercise every day and eat healthy. My mother had three kids of similar ages, worked, and made time to workout every day and she ate/eats a very vegetable-centered diet (with lean meats as well). However, she did/does not look like this woman.

So I find it hard to believe that an hour of exercise per day would get this woman that body 8 months after having a kid (however it might be enough now that she's maintaining). I'd like to see her pregnancy pics for comparison, maybe she only gained about 10 pounds before she gave birth.

She was 180lbs. She did not only gain 10 pounds before she gave birth.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Her husband is disabled, she runs two businesses, she works out, she does whatever. Her kids are not school age. And I'm too believe she has no help?

I don't buy it.

I didn't expect "she's lying" to be one of the excuses, actually. I should have expected that. But I didn't.

Why would I just believe that what she says or what is said in articles about her hasn't been fluffed to reflect the point she wants to get across.

Because you would believe it's possible.

You don't believe it's possible.

This is the difference between successful people and unsuccessful people. Successful people see this and think "yeah, I can do that!" or "yeah, I already did that."

Unsuccessful people see "she's lying" and "she's special" and "this doesn't apply to me for some reason."

I've already proved that more of her life has been dedicated to fitness than was portrayed by quotes at the start of this thread.

Her disabled husband is clearly capable of watching her children or she wouldn't be able to workout even an hour a day or run her businesses and her fitness NFP.

My point is that it is totally possible. OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE LOOK AT HER. But it happened differently than is being portrayed on the internet.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

the single, never married, no kids argument that moms dont have enough time to exercise. im confused. i'll let this one be cause I dont see the logic circle closing in yet.

I'm sorry you're confused, my point was simply that I know how busy mothers can be, and claiming that 8 months after giving birth, women who don't have that woman's body are "making excuses" is ridiculous and unfair. My description of my own situation was in response to being told that I was using motherhood or business as an excuse - which I clearly am not, since I'm working out, dieting, and not a mother.

at some point - you are going to realize that this is not about HER BODY. it is about what we are doing with OUR BODIES. She has dropped all the excuses to make time and get the best, healthiest body she can.

For the women out there, that are NOT trying because they are letting excuses rule their lives - and may not even realize that they are indeed excuses and not legitimate reasons, she is asking why they are procrastinating getting the healthiest bodies they can possibly have - and sharing that quest with their family.

So every time you say that she is insisting that I stop drop and look like her - your argument loses credibility.

She isnt even saying moms.

She is saying "you" in general.

WHAT ARE YOU ALLOWING TO STAND IN THE WAY OF BEING THE HEALTHIEST VERSION OF YOURSELF EVER?

that's bold cause it's a caption, not cause im yelling or whatnot.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended by it at all.

That said... I'll never look as fit as she does, no matter how hard I work. First of all, I let myself get really fat. My body has some permanent cosmetic 'damage' from letting myself gain 66 pounds. Also, I'm quite a bit older than she is (42). (Maybe that's an excuse?)

Does that bother me or make me feel jealous that I can't look like a fitness model? Not at all! I'm healthy - weight, body fat% and my bloodwork are all perfect. I feel great and I think I look great. I'm the best me that I can be, and some other woman's success does not diminish that. It's not a competition. :-)

YES! Exactly what she said.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've already proved that more of her life has been dedicated to fitness than was portrayed by quotes at the start of this thread.

She achieved it by spending about an hour working out 5 times a week.

Or are you saying that's the part that's a lie?
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at all the responses in this thread because 15 pages is more than I have time for, but I think I might have another perspective. One of the messages I get from the photo is that it implies that women should have more kids. My excuse for that? It's irresponsible to be adding consumers to a planet that cannot provide for them. I refuse to do it and I resent the implied expectation that because I am a woman I should not only be reproducing but I should be buff and beautiful while doing it. But I think if I look at it from the most prevalent perspective, from what I've seen here, I would resent the implication that I am making excuses in order not to exercise, which I don't, and I will never look like her, no matter how hard I try, even without kids. I do have kids and having them changed my body forever, even if I am able to improve my weight and fitness afterward, which I did and worked hard at it. I don't like someone trying to tell me that I'm not doing it right or enough if I don't look like the woman pictured. As I said, that will never happen, no matter what I do.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    "Kang, of Sacramento, California, is a former pageant queen and fitness competitor who founded the nonprofit Fitness Without Borders in 2007. She's also a recovering bulimic."

No, she is not your average "stay-at-home" mom. She already had a serious fitness background prior to having kids.

"Kang says she works out five to six days a week, about an hour at a time, doing a half-hour of strength training and a half-hour of cardio — running, the stair climber, or a spin or Zumba class"

She did not achieve that physique by only doing an hour at a time. That is maintenance for her. She achieved this body prior to children while preparing for pageants and fitness competitions. This alone makes it more likely for her to continue having this body after having children.

I don't think this is controversial, but I don't agree that this is achievable for all women. People are ignoring the facts I posted above which came directly from an interview done with her.

An hour a day 5-6 days a week is more time than is necessary to achieve that physique.

Continue to ignore the fact that she trained for fitness competitions and pageants prior to having children. I'm sure that was for more than an hour a day.

Once again, that is not the life of most women.

unfortunately, the life of most women SHOULD include healthy eating and consistent physical activity and the fact that is usually doesnt is a sad reality we are fighting against.

I work 11 and 12 hour days all the time, plus an almost 2 hour commute, plus i lost a hundred pounds and have tons of physical setbacks that i have to work against or around, plus a booming social life and tons of personal projects. I make the effort to workout regularly because I care about my health and i care about it more than just in a 'am i there yet, can i stop now' way.
    Well obviously you are missing a few other components in your life that this ad is directed at- like a brood of kiddos and a post-pregnancy body after 8 months. You admit it took you 5 years to get where you are - then you disagree with others who are on their journey working just as hard but have not had 5 years to complete it yet.
    As I said in my post that you said "NO" to - under certain circumstances you can look like her 8 months post delivery. However, most people do not have those circumstances. I also work out as many days as she says she does - 6 hours a week minimum and 35 months post delivery of baby#4 I don't look like that - but that doesn't mean I am not trying or my reality is not legitimate. Get real. We are all trying to improve- as I said in my earlier post - you need the time to do this (which I make) and you need to start where she started- which I did not. So I have longer to get there. I imagine it is not hard to cut back on your social life to find time for the gym and healthy cooking. Try keeping 5 other people alive and thriving and working your hours and getting there in 1/3 of the time it took you to get to your goal...oh wait - you didn't do that. But yet you judge...
  • yoovie
    Options
    I can definitely seen why it's controversial. Seems braggish. I understand it's trying to be motivational but it's just annoying. Being a mom is hard enough with out pressure to look like a fitness model. Of course by no means should you use it as an excuse to be unhealthy either. If you don't want to put in the time, or regulate your eating to that degree, you shouldn't feel pressured too. Sometimes just being healthy is "good enough".

QFT.

I will never be satisfied with 'good enough'.

so you and i are probably going to have to agree to disagree from now on.

'good enough' is what I consider my starting point.

Sometimes I am satisfied with "good enough" and sometimes I"m not. Depends on what else is going on in my life.

I meant in an all-encompassing way.

sometimes when im sweeping, im like - eh - good enough.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Her husband is disabled, she runs two businesses, she works out, she does whatever. Her kids are not school age. And I'm too believe she has no help?

I don't buy it.

I didn't expect "she's lying" to be one of the excuses, actually. I should have expected that. But I didn't.

Why would I just believe that what she says or what is said in articles about her hasn't been fluffed to reflect the point she wants to get across.

This is the difference between successful people and unsuccessful people. Successful people see this and think "yeah, I can do that!" or "yeah, I already did that."

Unsuccessful people see "she's lying" and "she's special" and "this doesn't apply to me for some reason."

dude i am seriously adoring you today
  • jonnythan
    Options
    "Kang, of Sacramento, California, is a former pageant queen and fitness competitor who founded the nonprofit Fitness Without Borders in 2007. She's also a recovering bulimic."

No, she is not your average "stay-at-home" mom. She already had a serious fitness background prior to having kids.

"Kang says she works out five to six days a week, about an hour at a time, doing a half-hour of strength training and a half-hour of cardio — running, the stair climber, or a spin or Zumba class"

She did not achieve that physique by only doing an hour at a time. That is maintenance for her. She achieved this body prior to children while preparing for pageants and fitness competitions. This alone makes it more likely for her to continue having this body after having children.

I don't think this is controversial, but I don't agree that this is achievable for all women. People are ignoring the facts I posted above which came directly from an interview done with her.

An hour a day 5-6 days a week is more time than is necessary to achieve that physique.

Continue to ignore the fact that she trained for fitness competitions and pageants prior to having children. I'm sure that was for more than an hour a day.

Once again, that is not the life of most women.

unfortunately, the life of most women SHOULD include healthy eating and consistent physical activity and the fact that is usually doesnt is a sad reality we are fighting against.

I work 11 and 12 hour days all the time, plus an almost 2 hour commute, plus i lost a hundred pounds and have tons of physical setbacks that i have to work against or around, plus a booming social life and tons of personal projects. I make the effort to workout regularly because I care about my health and i care about it more than just in a 'am i there yet, can i stop now' way.
    Well obviously you are missing a few other components in your life that this ad is directed at- like a brood of kiddos and a post-pregnancy body after 8 months. You admit it took you 5 years to get where you are - then you disagree with others who are on their journey working just as hard but have not had 5 years to complete it yet.
    As I said in my post that you said "NO" to - under certain circumstances you can look like her 8 months post delivery. However, most people do not have those circumstances. I also work out as many days as she says she does - 6 hours a week minimum and 35 months post delivery of baby#4 I don't look like that - but that doesn't mean I am not trying or my reality is not legitimate. Get real. We are all trying to improve- as I said in my earlier post - you need the time to do this (which I make) and you need to start where she started- which I did not. So I have longer to get there. I imagine it is not hard to cut back on your social life to find time for the gym and healthy cooking. Try keeping 5 other people alive and thriving and working your hours and getting there in 1/3 of the time it took you to get to your goal...oh wait - you didn't do that. But yet you judge...

She didn't start out 125 lbs overweight.

She never said "anyone can look like me 8 months after having a kid."
  • yoovie
    Options
    this new ticker game is freaking awesome.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

No, I do not believe that only one hour a day working out is what she has done her whole life. That's what she does now. But it doesn't address how long that has been her regiment. Since before the kids? Only after the kids? What was her life like when she battled bulimia? There's just too much information missing.
  • yoovie
    Options

One of the messages I get from the photo is that it implies that women should have more kids. My excuse for that? It's irresponsible to be adding consumers to a planet that cannot provide for them. I refuse to do it and I resent the implied expectation that because I am a woman I should not only be reproducing but I should be buff and beautiful while doing it.

dont think so
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm coming into this late, and probably shouldn't be posting at all. But I'm a glutton for punishment, so...

There is a big difference between having other priorities and making excuses. If you decide that talking with your friends for an hour is more important than working out, fine. If you decide having ice cream with your kids is more important that hitting your calorie goal, then fine. As a single father, I weight those decisions all the time. Most of my training-related goals oppose my family goals which oppose my career goals (as one takes time away from the other two), so there is a constant balancing act going on. Sometimes I chose to eat "crappy" food with my kids. Sometimes I don't.

Own your decisions and your priorities. Don't ***** people because of them.

Could I squat 3*BW? Probably. Could I get down to 8% body fat? Probably. But I'm not willing to do what it takes to get there, to have that type of discipline and dedication. I have different priorities. And I'm fine with that.

Lastly, not every though you have needs to go on facebook or wherever. Sometimes it's fine just congratulate someone on their accomplishment, or *gasp* just keep your damn mouth shut. Not everything is an attack/insult.
  • JewelsinBigD
    Options

I don't buy it.

WRONG
    Some people do not have her circumstances and therefore could not do that. But they are doing something else because where they started is somewhere else and their daily life is different. I don't hate this girl - I applaud her. But I am disgusted with the judgments of the people in this thread.
  • jonnythan
    Options

No, I do not believe that only one hour a day working out is what she has done her whole life. That's what she does now. But it doesn't address how long that has been her regiment. Since before the kids? Only after the kids? What was her life like when she battled bulimia? There's just too much information missing.

Who cares about "her whole life"?

You can achieve that body working out one hour a day, 5 days a week.

That's the entire point of all of this.

You can look like her, with just a few hours a week.

The question is: why don't you?
  • JewelsinBigD
    Options
    I'm coming into this late, and probably shouldn't be posting at all. But I'm a glutton for punishment, so...

There is a big difference between having other priorities and making excuses. If you decide that talking with your friends for an hour is more important than working out, fine. If you decide having ice cream with your kids is more important that hitting your calorie goal, then fine. As a single father, I weight those decisions all the time. Most of my training-related goals oppose my family goals which oppose my career goals (as one takes time away from the other two), so there is a constant balancing act going on. Sometimes I chose to eat "crappy" food with my kids. Sometimes I don't.

Own your decisions and your priorities. Don't ***** people because of them.

Could I squat 3*BW? Probably. Could I get down to 8% body fat? Probably. But I'm not willing to do what it takes to get there, to have that type of discipline and dedication. I have different priorities. And I'm fine with that.

Lastly, not every though you have needs to go on facebook or wherever. Sometimes it's fine just congratulate someone on their accomplishment, or *gasp* just keep your damn mouth shut. Not everything is an attack/insult.
    AMEN
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

I am not her, but someone who does only work out for no more than an hour a day, no more than 5 days a week, even when I was training to compete. It is possible. I also suffered from anorexia prior to getting into competing. There's not too much missing, aside from you refusing to believe it's possible.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I don't buy it.

Her disabled husband is clearly capable of watching her children or she wouldn't be able to workout even an hour a day or run her businesses and her fitness NFP.

My point is that it is totally possible. OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE LOOK AT HER. But it happened differently than is being portrayed on the internet.

tumblr_ll3oeqQXbe1qbvaudo1_500.gif