Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
So, some fit mom with three kids posted a picture and the words "What's your excuse?" to inspire people. And for whatever reason, there's been heap loads of hate regarding the image. Some have even gone so far as calling her a bully or self-righteous. Here's the image and a link to the article:

feb06a8d-e7ad-495d-8841-d859157ac54f_What-s-Your-Excuse.jpg

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/hot-mom-defends-herself-against-facebook-haters-192149769.html

Anyways, I feel sorry for the haters.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    obese people love having excuses as to why they are fat. one of them is that they have to take care of their children. so when the see a mom of 3 that looks like that they have to attack her rather than look inward.
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yep. Jealous haters looking for excuses.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    She's hot, and has a point!
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    I saw that yesterday and posted how she looks great and with three kids. Jealousy is a *****. She is motivation.
  • PolkaDot_Princess
    PolkaDot_Princess Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    it's all jelousy! She's trying to be motivational an supportive by saying, hey if i can do it so can you! But those that are full of excuses are going to say she's a jerk for whatever reason, thats she's flaunting it. Hey i'm full of excuses too but it comes down to sacrifice and how far you're willing to go to get the results you want. I say live and let live, but there's alot of hateful, negative people in the world that disagree. Oh well....
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is self-rightous, but when you look like that, especially within 3 years of having 3 kids...maybe you're allowed to have a little bit of an attitude. Plus I'm guessing her website is to hire her as a personal trainer, so of course you're going to put the best possible picture up.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Whoa... She's hot. Can I keep her?
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think its great, she looks amazing and obviously likes to have sex :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can see is if she has the ability to dedicate more time to fitness such as she works in the fitness industry or is a SAHM. That of course makes scheduling easier. If someone wants something bad enough of course he/she will make it happen, but it's difficult and unfair to compare your life to another's if you have certain advantages others may not.

PS-know nothing about this woman or what challenges she faces.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    People do not like having to face their own flaws. There are also people who work 60+ hour weeks with families that manage to keep in shape.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    My gym has lots of moms just like her. It also has moms who aren't. And the ones who aren't are the ones who are going to make the negative remarks in most cases. She's obviously worked hard at it (along with some good genetics) so posting a pic with her kids to prove that it's POSSIBLE should be inspiring to others and not viewed as bullying.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can see is if she has the ability to dedicate more time to fitness such as she works in the fitness industry or is a SAHM. That of course makes scheduling easier. If someone wants something bad enough of course he/she will make it happen, but it's difficult and unfair to compare your life to another's if you have certain advantages others may not.

PS-know nothing about this woman or what challenges she faces.

I would have thought something similar but I just took a peek at the article and saw her quoted as saying this

“I'm sorry you took an image and resonated with it in such a negative way. I won't go into details that I struggled with my genetics, had an eating disorder, work full time owning two businesses, have no nanny, am not naturally skinny and do not work as a personal trainer,”

So if you believe her, it looks like she doesn't have more time than the average working mom.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Some people like to hang their hat on "having kids ruined my body." While there are some complications that can really take away from your ability for your body to bounce back, it's not as common as the excuse is used. I grew up thinking that pregnancy made you permanently larger, I learned from experience that it does not permanently make me larger however continuing to eat at the pregnancy surplus and with the eat everything in sight mindset does.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I'll play devil's advocate here....

People do not like things that are preachy.

It's a one size fits all approach. This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.

Talk to someone who travels for work and puts in 60-70 hours per week....maybe they are slightly overweight. Should they be called out?

Is it reasonable to expect EVERYONE to look like a fitness model?
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    With a body like that, I don't see why she shouldn't be proud of it. She works hard. Good for her! If I looked like that, and had three kids come out of me, I'd show it off too!
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I have no "mom friends" left for this reason. They all hate me because I'm motivated. Whatevs! I just don't use having kids as an excuse to be overweight and/or out of shape.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I read this article this morning. In the article she is NOT a personal trainer. She actually dedicates time to work out. When she takes her kids to the park she stated that she does not sit there like the other moms with her iphone sitting on a bench she uses her children and playground equipment as tools to workout and be interactive with her kids at the same time. I have 3 kids and I personally applaud her. You would not believe the amount of parents who take their kids to the park or a sporting event and sit there on their phone. Or chit chat with other parents instead of motivating or being involved with their kids. As a society we have forgotten how to get off our butts and interact. Anyway I find her to be a great fitspiration. I think the main problem is the banner above her. People find it offensive and demeaning. I guess if you had a weight issue I could possibly see that as coming across as being a bit offensive. But she does have a point!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.
    Not according to the article she isn't, not anymore.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Great paragraph from the article:

“I'm sorry you took an image and resonated with it in such a negative way. I won't go into details that I struggled with my genetics, had an eating disorder, work full time owning two businesses, have no nanny, am not naturally skinny and do not work as a personal trainer,” she wrote, in part. “What I WILL say is this. What you interpret is not MY fault. It's yours. The first step in owning your life, your body and your destiny is to OWN the thoughts that come out of your own head. I didn't create them. You created them. So if you want to continue ‘hating’ this image, get used to hating many other things for the rest of your life.”
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    I'll play devil's advocate here....

People do not like things that are preachy.

It's a one size fits all approach. This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.

Talk to someone who travels for work and puts in 60-70 hours per week....maybe they are slightly overweight. Should they be called out?

Is it reasonable to expect EVERYONE to look like a fitness model?
    Pull your horns off then because she's not any of those above.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition