Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I can definitely seen why it's controversial. Seems braggish. I understand it's trying to be motivational but it's just annoying. Being a mom is hard enough with out pressure to look like a fitness model. Of course by no means should you use it as an excuse to be unhealthy either. If you don't want to put in the time, or regulate your eating to that degree, you shouldn't feel pressured too. Sometimes just being healthy is "good enough".
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.

I think people thinking they are a victim, is part of the problem.

her response
    “I'm sorry you took an image and resonated with it in such a negative way. I won't go into details that I struggled with my genetics, had an eating disorder, work full time owning two businesses, have no nanny, am not naturally skinny and do not work as a personal trainer,” she wrote, in part. “What I WILL say is this. What you interpret is not MY fault. It's yours. The first step in owning your life, your body and your destiny is to OWN the thoughts that come out of your own head. I didn't create them. You created them. So if you want to continue ‘hating’ this image, get used to hating many other things for the rest of your life.”

Agree 100%.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does. The implicit message is that there is no excuse and therefore NO REASON for any female to look less fabulous than this woman does.

It doesn't say "you shouldn't use excuses to not change your lifestyle".

It says "you have no excuse to not look as sexy and fit as me".

I for one can think of many reasons why many women of all ages and types might not look anything like her while offering no excuses and pursuing the best, healthiest lifestyles there is.

To state it another way, this photo and caption is offensive because its clearly referencing outward appearance as the primary goal for a woman or mother to want to pursue fitness.

Wow, that's what you got out of her message, really? Sad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight and bordering on obese I had about a million and one excuses...when I realized that they were just that...excuses...well, that's when things really started to come into focus for me and I actually started making real progress.

Of course, my biggest excuse was that I just didn't have the time...never mind the fact that I didn't have any kids or anything...yeah, I worked a lot of hours and what not, but I also sat around drinking beer and smoking cigarettes in my free time. I'm busier than ever now with two boys and still working a ton of hours...yet somehow I manage to hit the weight room hard 3x weekly and get out on my bike for 45 minutes or so a couple times per week and squeeze in a run here and there as well...it's all about priorities and letting go of the lame excuses.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    People are pathetic. This is not worth the hate.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Maybe people are working out and eating better but just have not reached her body yet. MEH
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.
    Not according to the article she isn't, not anymore.

She has lots of free time then.

A woman that owns two businesses and has 3 young kids has lots of free time? Are you serious?

Since we keep going back and forth, what exactly does she do? There are multiple sources with scores of information.

As for time, she sets her own schedule.

My point is that you seemed to have assumed that she had all the time in the world to work out at her leisure. But her point seems to be that she is making the time. With a busy life, she is making the time - before the kids get up, while her husband handles mornings, at lunch time, after bedtime, at the park. Whatever the case may be, she is not using being busy as an excuse.
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    I have 3 kids. I personally do not take offense to this. We all have to work to get results. It's not going to magically happen. I stayed fat for a year and a half after my first child. It was my fault, I ate like I was still pregnant. The last two children, I ate right and worked out when the kids were napping or after they went to bed at night. It's not impossible to change your body if you eat right and manage your time.

Don't get me wrong, even putting in time working out, we all might not look like that lady in the picture.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    to answer your question, OP, people like to be offended and take personal offense to things that aren't about them and turn something positive and inspirational into something of a vicious attack.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    They hate because it is a hard reminder that the excuses they are making are not valid. People hate to think something is their own fault.

Yep
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.
    Not according to the article she isn't, not anymore.

She has lots of free time then.

A woman that owns two businesses and has 3 young kids has lots of free time? Are you serious?

I'm no where near that kind of body so I genuinely don't know the answer.... could you get a body like that through 1 or 2 hours exercise a day? That is how much "me" time I get. That if after working, cooking, cleaning, taking care of my kids (homework, bath, bedtime routine etc).

I reckon most (not all but most) could squeeze 1-2 hours free a day if they didn't go on the computer, watch TV etc.

I absolutely think you can get a great body like hers with 1-2 hours a day. Probably even less than that especially combined with the right eating habits.

Edited to add this: Your body might not look like hers though because, well, you're you, not her. You can be a fit version of you with that level of effort - definitely.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does. The implicit message is that there is no excuse and therefore NO REASON for any female to look less fabulous than this woman does.

I for one can think of many reasons why many women of all ages and types might not look anything like her while offering no excuses and pursuing the best, healthiest lifestyles there is.

To state it another way, this photo and caption is offensive because its clearly referencing outward appearance as the primary goal for a woman or mother to want to pursue fitness.

you need to look in the mirror. it is YOU that is the problem. just because you dont have the will dont hate on her.
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It would appear that those who have something negative to say didn't bother to read the article that is linked in the OP's post.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Speak for yourself. I'm a woman, and this doesn't victimize me.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    i think she is beautiful and I will be the first to admit its my fault I'm fat and out of shape. I have been to lazy to do something about it but I'm doing it now so better late than never.... things like this inspire me to get up off my fat *kitten* and move it!!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

no. sorry. you don't have to look like her at all in order to be considered in shape and healthy, all she's saying is that you can find time to take care of yourself even being as busy as she is.

this is not victimizing women. please. don't cry wolf for trivial things when there are much bigger (and not completely imagined) injustices out there. that makes YOU part of the problem.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    to answer your question, OP, people like to be offended and take personal offense to things that aren't about them and turn something positive and inspirational into something of a vicious attack.

This. Some people just like being miserable and spend the entire of their days finding things to hate and be offended by.