Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Personally, images like this motivate me to get my frumby a** off the couch and work out. I don't find it offensive. I don't feel that I am being "slighted" or "insulted" for making excuses. Two years ago my favorite excuse in the world was "i'm eating for two".. Yeah, I was pregnant.. but I wasn't supposed to be eating enough for TWO ADULT MALES and myself!

Google Lea-Ann Ellison. Controversial? Yes. Healthy, strong, fit mother? You bet. PLEASE read the articles and do a little research before/if you decide to bash her. She's lifting #43lbs in the pictures.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    The lady looks fabulous and has the right to post whatever picture of her achievements in getting back in shape. I don't think anyone has a problem with that at all, in fact kudos to her.

Yea? And I look fabulous too, and have a successful career and great education. That doesn't mean I would make any friends by plastering my facebook page in self-serving status updates about my salary, promotions, and dress size.

ETA: I dont find the image controversial at all, but I can totally see why some would consider it obnoxious
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The lady looks fabulous and has the right to post whatever picture of her achievements in getting back in shape. I don't think anyone has a problem with that at all, in fact kudos to her. However, she is acting in a self-righteous manner by implying "look at me I look great, why can't you do the same." People need to learn to be proud of their own achievements for the sake of obtaining their own goals without purposely going out and commenting that a comparison needs to be done between her and someone else. My friend does this a lot with his successful business. We are all proud of his achievement and frequent his store to give him business. However, at one dinner party he went out of his way to find an individual who had just lost his job due to a layoff and was so animated in telling him the problem with him and the rest of America is that we are all afraid to start our own business and are therefore Pawns in the game of life, while he was a king. The gentleman told him that he was proud of my friends accomplishment but that he did not need him throwing in his face his loss of his job, and that he should be more gracious because even a pawn can knock out a king. My friend being obnoxious that night laughed at him and continued to talk about him to others at the party and purposely trying to show a financial comparison. So while I applaud this woman and she is an inspiration to me, the whole purposeful act of the "title" in conjunction with the pic is a definite attention seeking grab and is somewhat unattractive in the need for attention, and is very self-serving. No need to comment on my opinion, it is just mine. I will respect anyone else's opinion posted. Thanks

I think if that was the intention like your friend there will be karma to pay.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    The lady looks fabulous and has the right to post whatever picture of her achievements in getting back in shape. I don't think anyone has a problem with that at all, in fact kudos to her.

Yea? And I look fabulous too, and have a successful career and great education. That doesn't mean I would make any friends by plastering my facebook page in self-serving status updates about my salary, promotions, and dress size.

she has 85,000 followers who obviously believe in her and aren't offended by the poster that was intended to help inspire others.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Her picture makes me think I need to pay more attention to the Moms bringing their kids to day care at the gym.....
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    You saw my Facebook feed, didn't you Tom? ;)

Anyway, my original comments on a thread relating to this still hold true:

It's the caption. It is accusatory. If it were directed more as an 'I have no excuses' comment and wasn't followed up with her trying to explain herself, it might have done something more for me. As it stands, it's accusatory and not motivational - for me. For others, maybe it is.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    When people look inward and hate what they see they project it outward against those that they wish they could be.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I agree it might have avoided a lot of angry backlash from jealous b*tches if she had just said "you can do it too!" instead of "what's your excuse?" However I am not offended by the image and think she looks incredible. Just because she is a mom doesn't mean she has to be wearing a parka. She's a woman and deserves to express her femininity and sexuality however she chooses.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    When people look inward and hate what they see they project it outward against those that they wish they could be.

/internetz
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options

Yes, I think that's what I was trying to say. :flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I'll play devil's advocate here....

People do not like things that are preachy.

It's a one size fits all approach. This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.

Talk to someone who travels for work and puts in 60-70 hours per week....maybe they are slightly overweight. Should they be called out?

Is it reasonable to expect EVERYONE to look like a fitness model?

exactly. I think the photo is inspiring and awesome. She proves that she can stay fit and work hard on her body even with 3 tiny kids. Yay for her! I celebrate that. But I don't like the challenging, condescending tone of the message. It doesn't offend me. I'm not even a mom anyway. But to me it DOES sorta imply that ALL women ***should*** look like that. I don't really agree. They should if they want to. But they are not obligated to look like that.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

she has 85,000 followers who obviously believe in her and aren't offended by the poster that was intended to help inspire others.

^ Very interesting point - if the photo was meant for her followers only, does it change how it should be interpreted?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    does not feel sorry for haters.

feels sorry for kids of haters.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think its awesome, good for her. I wouldn't call her a bad mom, she is taking care of herself so she can take care of her family. She will have the energy to play with her kids instead of sitting on the couch watching TV and not able to play, so in my opinion, she is a great mom!!!! What would be worse? I say this is awesome. You should always make time for yourself. and an hour a day is not that much in realty. so I raise my glass to her and to all the other parents out there that take care of themselves! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

^ Very interesting point - if the photo was meant for her followers only, does it change how it should be interpreted?

I didn't say the picture was intended for her followers only. I said that she has 85,000 followers in response to the quote before mine. it doesn't change anything for me, because I know she meant only to inspire, not to bully.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Yea, for a targeted audience, it totally makes sense.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I agree it might have avoided a lot of angry backlash from jealous b*tches if she had just said "you can do it too!" instead of "what's your excuse?" However I am not offended by the image and think she looks incredible. Just because she is a mom doesn't mean she has to be wearing a parka. She's a woman and deserves to express her femininity and sexuality however she chooses.

when someone says YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!! to me - i feel like im being patronized. Like awww widdle gurlllluh yoo can doo eet if you twy weally hard!

gags

NO

dare me to man up!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Her response says it all really -

“I'm sorry you took an image and resonated with it in such a negative way. I won't go into details that I struggled with my genetics, had an eating disorder, work full time owning two businesses, have no nanny, am not naturally skinny and do not work as a personal trainer,” she wrote, in part. “What I WILL say is this. What you interpret is not MY fault. It's yours. The first step in owning your life, your body and your destiny is to OWN the thoughts that come out of your own head. I didn't create them. You created them. So if you want to continue ‘hating’ this image, get used to hating many other things for the rest of your life.”

All the picture aims to do is make people look inward. Most people on MFP have done that, and found greatness within them. If trying to get people to re-assess their ability to reach their goals is wrong, then the world has gone mad.

By the way, I wonder if the same people would go bat-guano crazy over the individuals on MFP who have achieved the same results after coming back from severe injury or even paralysis? Or the guy with cystic fibrosis who hits the gym every day.

Because heck, if those people didn't have valid excuses, then no one does.
  • yoovie
    Options
    You saw my Facebook feed, didn't you Tom? ;)

Anyway, my original comments on a thread relating to this still hold true:

It's the caption. It is accusatory. If it were directed more as an 'I have no excuses' comment and wasn't followed up with her trying to explain herself, it might have done something more for me. As it stands, it's accusatory and not motivational - for me. For others, maybe it is.

Im one of the people that these kind of direct, shake you up, challenging, defiant kind of ad works on. Like REALLY works.

The other ones that are super gentle and kind and encouraging make me

tumblr_mcmip6iP4i1qh3z2x.gif
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    2 years ago...I might have hated her...now that's the kind of person who inspires me. Haters are always gonna hate. I've lost more than 1 close "mom" friend in the past 2 years...and my only regret is that I let being a working mom be my excuse for 11 years!