Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I hope I am one day hot enough to have people hate me for no reason.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's the message she intended to send, and I'm not personally offended by the picture and caption. But if you have
    an analytical mind of any sort you can see that while she might intend her message to be about fitness and health it's obviously about appearance as her appearance is what's being referenced.

The OP wondered why the picture would be controversial and I've clearly explained why it is.

People seem to think its a "hater gonna hate" thing but its actually controversial because it's just another brainless message telling women they have to look a certain way regardless of health or fitness level.

And yeah... I'm sorry... if you can't see that, then you are indeed part of a greater problem in the war women fight against themselves and each other.

And that, my friend, is what is sad.

No, you are the one fighting against other women. You are trying to make it a negative that she has an attractive body and has worked for that goal. Would you be happier if she were 30lbs heavier? Is that a more positive image to send?

Telling women that it is wrong to want to look attractive or wrong to work towards that goal is YOU victimizing them.
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I hope I am one day hot enough to have people hate me for no reason.

I already hate you for no reason.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.

I think people thinking they are a victim, is part of the problem.

her response
    “I'm sorry you took an image and resonated with it in such a negative way. I won't go into details that I struggled with my genetics, had an eating disorder, work full time owning two businesses, have no nanny, am not naturally skinny and do not work as a personal trainer,” she wrote, in part. “What I WILL say is this. What you interpret is not MY fault. It's yours. The first step in owning your life, your body and your destiny is to OWN the thoughts that come out of your own head. I didn't create them. You created them. So if you want to continue ‘hating’ this image, get used to hating many other things for the rest of your life.”

Agree 100%.
    couldn't have said this any better
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do find it inspirational. When I see someone who has done well it makes me think, "Hey, that person did it so I can too!" I understand that we all have different circumstances, issues, struggles, etc. Truthfully, I may never look like her but that still doesn't mean that I can appreciate her success as I struggle towards my own.

At one time, I was the queen of excuses. I blamed everything on my poor health. While it is true I have to deal with some things that others may not while working towards a healthier me, I hid behind these problems and said it wasn't my fault. I really didn't start moving forward until I refuse to accept my own excuses.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that her boys are adorable! More power to her!
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think you can get a great body like hers with 1-2 hours a day. Probably even less than that especially combined with the right eating habits.

Edited to add this: Your body might not look like hers though because, well, you're you, not her. You can be a fit version of you with that level of effort - definitely.

You can actually make really good progress with a good diet and just 2-3 hours a week of lifting. That's all I've been able to do for the past 2 years, and well, actually I don't do the "good diet" part very well.

Oh, I absolutely agree! Was just trying to directly answer her question. I'm a 3x/week lifter, minimal cardio and so-so eater myself.

yep

I workout 3x a week too with kettlebells...mostly@ home or at the beach.... eat moderately clean and still stay in good shape

maybe not the bodybuilder shape pics from when i was competing 3 years ago...but the pic in my white shirt is how I maintain now with a pretty mild, balanced program
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Because people don't like to have their excuses shot down. Makes them feel badly about themselves.

Also: "MY METABOLISM" and "MY THYROID"
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does. The implicit message is that there is no excuse and therefore NO REASON for any female to look less fabulous than this woman does.

It doesn't say "you shouldn't use excuses to not change your lifestyle".

It says "you have no excuse to not look as sexy and fit as me".

I for one can think of many reasons why many women of all ages and types might not look anything like her while offering no excuses and pursuing the best, healthiest lifestyles there is.

To state it another way, this photo and caption is offensive because its clearly referencing outward appearance as the primary goal for a woman or mother to want to pursue fitness.

If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.

I am part of the problem then, because I feel that saying this victimizes women is laughable.

^^This^^
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    People do not like having to face their own flaws. There are also people who work 60+ hour weeks with families that manage to keep in shape.
    This.

I am a huge fan of this woman. America is not the most obese society in the world because of genetics. It's because we're a nation of over eating TV watching fast food devouring excuse makers.

Big time 'hell yeah' to this woman.

I second your hell yeah!
  • whierd
    Options
    Because people don't like to have their excuses shot down. Makes them feel badly about themselves.

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU ARE A YOUNG, RIPPED MAN AND YOUR ADVICE IS INVALID
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I do think we women do a lot of "this" to ourselves. We (some of us anyway) look at this image and see pressure to look like this. Men look at an image of a guy with abs and a similar message and they think "Nice abs, dude. but I like pizza and beer". Why does an image effect us so? Why can't we just be happy for her, and happy for ourselves and our own choices?
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options
    I do think we women do a lot of "this" to ourselves. We (some of us anyway) look at this image and see pressure to look like this. Men look at an image of a guy with abs and a similar message and they think "Nice abs, dude. but I like pizza and beer". Why does an image effect us so? Why can't we just be happy for her, and happy for ourselves and our own choices?

wait? we cant have abs AND pizza and Beer?!?! :sad:
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU ARE A YOUNG, RIPPED MAN AND YOUR ADVICE IS INVALID

mmhmmm...
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm grasping here but all I can figure is that it's a bit weird that she is pretty much unclothed with a ton of makeup on and her 3 boys taking a photo with her. That's the only thing I can find remotely odd about this photo.

If people are offended by the message, they should never read a fitness inspiration post again because it's not like it's the first time the whole "What's your excuse" dealie has been used.

the kids look photoshopped in to me
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Oh wait, you can. Just not an entire pizza and a case of beer.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options

Oh wait, you can. Just not an entire pizza and a case of beer.

thin crust personal veggie/chicken pizza with a Ultra 64 :)
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's the message she intended to send, and I'm not personally offended by the picture and caption. But if you have
    an analytical mind of any sort you can see that while she might intend her message to be about fitness and health it's obviously about appearance as her appearance is what's being referenced.

The OP wondered why the picture would be controversial and I've clearly explained why it is.

People seem to think its a "hater gonna hate" thing but its actually controversial because it's just another brainless message telling women they have to look a certain way regardless of health or fitness level.

And yeah... I'm sorry... if you can't see that, then you are indeed part of a greater problem in the war women fight against themselves and each other.

And that, my friend, is what is sad.

No, you are the one fighting against other women. You are trying to make it a negative that she has an attractive body and has worked for that goal. Would you be happier if she were 30lbs heavier? Is that a more positive image to send?

Telling women that it is wrong to want to look attractive or wrong to work towards that goal is YOU victimizing them.
    Tell me where ANYONE says this woman is wrong by wanting to look any certain way. Oh, that's right - no one said anything like that. I love the irony in this post - it's alright for HER to tell others they should look a certain way... and somehow when people get upset about it they are doing the same thing and it's wrong? No women likes to be told they have to look a certain way but if that person happens to fit your ideal then it's ok? lolz...
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    It would appear that those who have something negative to say didn't bother to read the article that is linked in the OP's post.
    ^^THIS. Looking only at the picture and taking it at face value, I could see how some could get offended because there's no back story. However, after I (quickly) read the entire page on her site, I can see the point see was trying to make. She gave plenty of detail of how she grew up, dealt with weight issues and ED, and that picture was at the VERY END of the article and used to emphasize her point, like an exclamation mark.
    I'm willing to bet that 95% of the haters did NOT read the page; rather, they just looked at the pic and their panties got all twisted.

P.S. One point of confusion: She has a couple of pics dated Dec 2008 and Jan 2009, the latter stating that it was 1 month after her first child was born. She doesn't look 8-9 months pregnant in the first pic.... so WTF? Am I missing something?
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm grasping here but all I can figure is that it's a bit weird that she is pretty much unclothed with a ton of makeup on and her 3 boys taking a photo with her. That's the only thing I can find remotely odd about this photo.

If people are offended by the message, they should never read a fitness inspiration post again because it's not like it's the first time the whole "What's your excuse" dealie has been used.

the kids look photoshopped in to me

She is in workout gear, not unclothed. Make up is irrelevant, as is them being in the pic with her.