Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I can see some mothers also work just as hard at fitness and nutrition but just aren't lucky enough to have skin that pings back into place being upset that it might imply not having the same results means they're slackers.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.
    Not according to the article she isn't, not anymore.

She has lots of free time then.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    They hate because it is a hard reminder that the excuses they are making are not valid. People hate to think something is their own fault.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm grasping here but all I can figure is that it's a bit weird that she is pretty much unclothed with a ton of makeup on and her 3 boys taking a photo with her. That's the only thing I can find remotely odd about this photo.

If people are offended by the message, they should never read a fitness inspiration post again because it's not like it's the first time the whole "What's your excuse" dealie has been used.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options

A woman that owns two businesses and has 3 young kids has lots of free time? Are you serious?
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    haters gonna hate

doesnt matter what you do...

lotta bitter, jealous people out there
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably because of the header that people feel it comes across *****y. If it had said something like "If I can do it, so can you", it may have been better received.

Having said that, she is correct in what she says. Overweight people (including myself) do make excuses. Eventually when the time is right, people will decide enough of the excuses and come to a site like this and stop with the excuses. But people who are not in the right frame of mind don't see "excuses"..... they see genuine reasons why they cannot do it. But yeah..... they are still excuses. Kids and work and travelling used to be mine too, eventually I wised up.
  • IntoTheSunset
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does. The implicit message is that there is no excuse and therefore NO REASON for any female to look less fabulous than this woman does.

It doesn't say "you shouldn't use excuses to not change your lifestyle".

It says "you have no excuse to not look as sexy and fit as me".

I for one can think of many reasons why many women of all ages and types might not look anything like her while offering no excuses and pursuing the best, healthiest lifestyles there is.

To state it another way, this photo and caption is offensive because its clearly referencing outward appearance as the primary goal for a woman or mother to want to pursue fitness.

If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I've heard many, many moms say pregnancy weight is impossible to lose. Not "hard," not "difficult," but "impossible." They believe it, and want you to believe it too. Hell, it's part of what drove me to MFP a year after my first munchkin terrorist was born.

When I lost the weight from baby #1 one of these acquaintances became livid. Then it was "well, it must be easier if you're under 30" and I was 6 months older than her. Then it was "it must be easier if you have all this free time without the kid" and then I just had to laugh because she has four grandparents for free babysitting and I don't.

People will usually find an excuse before they see a problem they can work around. Mine was "of course I'm still fat--I just had a kid" which held for about a year. I owe that one lady who said she'll never, ever lose the 60lbs of fat she gained after pregnancy. Seeing that extreme and going "wow, that could be me!" was way easier to believe than looking at that in shape mom of three and going "wow, that could be me."
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

A woman that owns two businesses and has 3 young kids has lots of free time? Are you serious?

Since we keep going back and forth, what exactly does she do? There are multiple sources with scores of information.

As for time, she sets her own schedule.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Didn't read the article, did ya?

And it isn't terribly hard for nearly anyone to find 30-60 minutes a few time per week to exercise. And it is mostly all about nutrition anyway.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    "Haters don't really hate you. They hate themselves because you are a reflection of what they wish to be."
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I'm no where near that kind of body so I genuinely don't know the answer.... could you get a body like that through 1 or 2 hours exercise a day? That is how much "me" time I get. That if after working, cooking, cleaning, taking care of my kids (homework, bath, bedtime routine etc).

I reckon most (not all but most) could squeeze 1-2 hours free a day if they didn't go on the computer, watch TV etc.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does. The implicit message is that there is no excuse and therefore NO REASON for any female to look less fabulous than this woman does.

It doesn't say "you shouldn't use excuses to not change your lifestyle".

It says "you have no excuse to not look as sexy and fit as me".

I for one can think of many reasons why many women of all ages and types might not look anything like her while offering no excuses and pursuing the best, healthiest lifestyles there is.

To state it another way, this photo and caption is offensive because its clearly referencing outward appearance as the primary goal for a woman or mother to want to pursue fitness.

If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.

I am part of the problem then, because I feel that saying this victimizes women is laughable.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    She's hot, and has a point!
    Shoot...she's so hot...now I have a point...:drinker:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I have no "mom friends" left for this reason. They all hate me because I'm motivated. Whatevs! I just don't use having kids as an excuse to be overweight and/or out of shape.

I would still be your friend! I LOVE having people that are motivated around me! Nothing worse than a friend that is constantly moping or complaining about something! Get up and do the damn thing!
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    "Haters don't really hate you. They hate themselves because you are a reflection of what they wish to be."

*like*
  • JessiesGirls520
    Options
    I don't know why it is controversial. I can't believe people are calling her a shamer. If anything, people are jealous and lashing out. Now what really gets me mad is the whole "real women have curves" thing. That is directly shaming thin women and making them feel insignificant.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I think its great, she looks amazing and obviously likes to have sex :)

:bigsmile: maybe she puts up with sex because she likes babies??? :laugh:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

she owns businesses and works, like many other moms. Kudos to her for wanting to help encourage and inspire others!