Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    So, some fit mom with three kids posted a picture and the words "What's your excuse?" to inspire people. And for whatever reason, there's been heap loads of hate regarding the image. Some have even gone so far as calling her a bully or self-righteous. Here's the image and a link to the article:

feb06a8d-e7ad-495d-8841-d859157ac54f_What-s-Your-Excuse.jpg

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/hot-mom-defends-herself-against-facebook-haters-192149769.html

Anyways, I feel sorry for the haters.

Your thoughts?

First good lawd what a babe! Secondly she has every right to post that pic to inspire or to brag what ever the case may be that took a fuk ton of work and she should be admired for her feat! If you're offended by that then get the fuk outa fitness sites
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'll play devil's advocate here....

People do not like things that are preachy.

It's a one size fits all approach. This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.

Talk to someone who travels for work and puts in 60-70 hours per week....maybe they are slightly overweight. Should they be called out?

Is it reasonable to expect EVERYONE to look like a fitness model?

^You nailed it .
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous! Even if you don't want/need to look like her her point is that everyone can find a way to get and stay healthy. You don't have to be as toned as her to be healthy. She looks amazing and I am jealous - but I'll use that as motivation. I, like many others, am a working mom. I'm also in school full time. Time is limited. I'm not sure if I"ll ever look like her but that's fine. I don't need to. We need to be the best versions of us that we can be with the time, resources, and motivation that we have. If you can't work out, you can still eat healthy and go for short walks (or whatever the case may be - if you're in a wheelchair maybe you can do dumbbell curls...). There's a way to be healthy regardless of circumstances.

That's what I believe the message is. I think this woman is amazing. We don't need to criticize healthy people because everyone has gotten so used to being fat (myself included)
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If this victimizes women....than half the dudes with ripped ABvatars on MFP here are victimizing the hell out of men on the regular

Im happy for this woman....she looks good.\

carrying on
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids. I personally do not take offense to this. We all have to work to get results. It's not going to magically happen. I stayed fat for a year and a half after my first child. It was my fault, I ate like I was still pregnant. The last two children, I ate right and worked out when the kids were napping or after they went to bed at night. It's not impossible to change your body if you eat right and manage your time.

Don't get me wrong, even putting in time working out, we all might not look like that lady in the picture.

Completely Agree! I too have 3 kids, with 6 years in between each one..my body is not what it once was..But I am making the time to get it where I want to be...Will I ever look like her? Probably not..I'm 5'10 and I have a larger frame. It may take me the next two years to get my body where I want it, but it's about putting in the time no matter how long it takes.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    People do not like having to face their own flaws. There are also people who work 60+ hour weeks with families that manage to keep in shape.
    This.

I am a huge fan of this woman. America is not the most obese society in the world because of genetics. It's because we're a nation of over eating TV watching fast food devouring excuse makers.

Big time 'hell yeah' to this woman.
  • IntoTheSunset
    Options
    I don't think that's the message she intended to send, and I'm not personally offended by the picture and caption. But if you have
    an analytical mind of any sort you can see that while she might intend her message to be about fitness and health it's obviously about appearance as her appearance is what's being referenced.

The OP wondered why the picture would be controversial and I've clearly explained why it is.

People seem to think its a "hater gonna hate" thing but its actually controversial because it's just another brainless message telling women they have to look a certain way regardless of health or fitness level.

And yeah... I'm sorry... if you can't see that, then you are indeed part of a greater problem in the war women fight against themselves and each other.

And that, my friend, is what is sad.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If this victimizes women....than half the dudes with ripped ABvatars on MFP here are victimizing the hell out of men on the regular

Im happy for this woman....she looks good.\

carrying on

Please stop victimizing me and gain 60lbs to protect my self esteem, please.
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I have no "mom friends" left for this reason. They all hate me because I'm motivated. Whatevs! I just don't use having kids as an excuse to be overweight and/or out of shape.

Same here, most moms hate me at the school. They get all huffy when i mention going for a walk or to the gym or say no thank you to treats. They think i am :easy" and a few wont let their hsbands talk to me or their son come over to play with my son. Women are beasts. I don't look as good as the girl in the picture but in my demographic i will just say my hard work is evident, my town is very overweight.

*giggle* I wonder if they think I'm "easy" as well! I never thought about that.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think you can get a great body like hers with 1-2 hours a day. Probably even less than that especially combined with the right eating habits.

Edited to add this: Your body might not look like hers though because, well, you're you, not her. You can be a fit version of you with that level of effort - definitely.

You can actually make really good progress with a good diet and just 2-3 hours a week of lifting. That's all I've been able to do for the past 2 years, and well, actually I don't do the "good diet" part very well.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I can definitely seen why it's controversial. Seems braggish. I understand it's trying to be motivational but it's just annoying. Being a mom is hard enough with out pressure to look like a fitness model. Of course by no means should you use it as an excuse to be unhealthy either. If you don't want to put in the time, or regulate your eating to that degree, you shouldn't feel pressured too. Sometimes just being healthy is "good enough".

Seems braggish. I dont like crap like this. She looks amazing, but the whole thing seems very self serving. And it's not like the kids had any choice in being a part of it. I don't really like people who make public spectacles of their children like that.

But she DOES look great and I DO congratulate her on that. It's not shaming to me, but IRL we wouldnt be friends.
  • happyindian
    happyindian Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can see is if she has the ability to dedicate more time to fitness such as she works in the fitness industry or is a SAHM. That of course makes scheduling easier. If someone wants something bad enough of course he/she will make it happen, but it's difficult and unfair to compare your life to another's if you have certain advantages others may not.

PS-know nothing about this woman or what challenges she faces.

If u think that as SAHM, we have it easy...u surely are mistaken. And scheduling is far more difficult, cos u do not have fixed 'working hours'...u r on call 24 /7.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite response so far (from someone on my FB who likely weighs 350+ lbs):

This woman is clearly obsessed with fitness. She's a recovering bulimic, and that doesn't really say healthy things about her relationship with food and exercise. It's probably a good thing she has boys.

What ignorance. Good for this woman - I hope I can look like that one day, kids or no.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    So, some fit mom with three kids posted a picture and the words "What's your excuse?" to inspire people. And for whatever reason, there's been heap loads of hate regarding the image. Some have even gone so far as calling her a bully or self-righteous. Here's the image and a link to the article:

feb06a8d-e7ad-495d-8841-d859157ac54f_What-s-Your-Excuse.jpg

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/hot-mom-defends-herself-against-facebook-haters-192149769.html

Anyways, I feel sorry for the haters.

Your thoughts?

Let me preface this by saying I've skimmed the comments but I didn't read the article. Honestly, my first impression seeing this picture and reading the caption, I took a different interpretation than most, I guess. Instead of reading it as "What's your excuse?" and inferring something along the lines of "Excuses ex-schmuses! You're all just fat and lazy" I got more of a "Being active with my kids really motivates me! What motivates you?" feel from it.

... But then again, I don't typically wake up with the intention of looking for things that might make my butt hurt.

ETA: to clarify a little.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's the message she intended to send, and I'm not personally offended by the picture and caption. But if you have
    an analytical mind of any sort you can see that while she might intend her message to be about fitness and health it's obviously about appearance as her appearance is what's being referenced.

The OP wondered why the picture would be controversial and I've clearly explained why it is.

People seem to think its a "hater gonna hate" thing but its actually controversial because it's just another brainless message telling women they have to look a certain way regardless of health or fitness level.

And yeah... I'm sorry... if you can't see that, then you are indeed part of a greater problem in the war women fight against themselves and each other.

And that, my friend, is what is sad.

what is sad is your view on life and the world. stop spreading it around here.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I don't like it because how she looks is not how I want to look. I don't find inspiration from people who are in a better position in life than me. Yeah, it's pathetic, but it's me and I admit it.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Some people like to hang their hat on "having kids ruined my body." While there are some complications that can really take away from your ability for your body to bounce back, it's not as common as the excuse is used. I grew up thinking that pregnancy made you permanently larger, I learned from experience that it does not permanently make me larger however continuing to eat at the pregnancy surplus and with the eat everything in sight mindset does.

QFcompleteT
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does. The implicit message is that there is no excuse and therefore NO REASON for any female to look less fabulous than this woman does.

It doesn't say "you shouldn't use excuses to not change your lifestyle".

It says "you have no excuse to not look as sexy and fit as me".

I for one can think of many reasons why many women of all ages and types might not look anything like her while offering no excuses and pursuing the best, healthiest lifestyles there is.

To state it another way, this photo and caption is offensive because its clearly referencing outward appearance as the primary goal for a woman or mother to want to pursue fitness.

If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.
    I very much agree with this. While I can look at it and say "wow! that is amazing that she has done that" I also know a lot of moms that find time to work out and cook healthy meals for their family and they do not have a flat stomach - are they supposed to feel like **** or like they are making excuses? I feel that she makes it about appearance and not about being healthy and having healthy habits. Also anytime you are going to criticize other mom's you are just asking for it - so this woman has made looking "hot" a priority and makes time for it. Some moms make having an immaculate house a priority - is it ok for one of those women to go to the women above and point out every dirty spot on her house and ask her what her excuse is? I feel it's not what she is saying it's how she said it - it's more about being "hot" than healthy.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think you can get a great body like hers with 1-2 hours a day. Probably even less than that especially combined with the right eating habits.

Edited to add this: Your body might not look like hers though because, well, you're you, not her. You can be a fit version of you with that level of effort - definitely.

You can actually make really good progress with a good diet and just 2-3 hours a week of lifting. That's all I've been able to do for the past 2 years, and well, actually I don't do the "good diet" part very well.

Oh, I absolutely agree! Was just trying to directly answer her question. I'm a 3x/week lifter, minimal cardio and so-so eater myself.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! My parents both took the time to stay fit and provide healthy meals. I've had my issues with food and weight but I think that's a big reason why I've never been really obese. I think it's actually more important for parents to stay fit because you are the role model for your children.