Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i still will never understand how being busy is an excuse for being overweight
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The lady looks fabulous and has the right to post whatever picture of her achievements in getting back in shape. I don't think anyone has a problem with that at all, in fact kudos to her. However, she is acting in a self-righteous manner by implying "look at me I look great, why can't you do the same." People need to learn to be proud of their own achievements for the sake of obtaining their own goals without purposely going out and commenting that a comparison needs to be done between her and someone else. My friend does this a lot with his successful business. We are all proud of his achievement and frequent his store to give him business. However, at one dinner party he went out of his way to find an individual who had just lost his job due to a layoff and was so animated in telling him the problem with him and the rest of America is that we are all afraid to start our own business and are therefore Pawns in the game of life, while he was a king. The gentleman told him that he was proud of my friends accomplishment but that he did not need him throwing in his face his loss of his job, and that he should be more gracious because even a pawn can knock out a king. My friend being obnoxious that night laughed at him and continued to talk about him to others at the party and purposely trying to show a financial comparison. So while I applaud this woman and she is an inspiration to me, the whole purposeful act of the "title" in conjunction with the pic is a definite attention seeking grab and is somewhat unattractive in the need for attention, and is very self-serving. No need to comment on my opinion, it is just mine. I will respect anyone else's opinion posted. Thanks

Sad....just sad...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can see is if she has the ability to dedicate more time to fitness such as she works in the fitness industry or is a SAHM. That of course makes scheduling easier. If someone wants something bad enough of course he/she will make it happen, but it's difficult and unfair to compare your life to another's if you have certain advantages others may not.

PS-know nothing about this woman or what challenges she faces.
    I agree with this - if you get to workout for a living - then this could be you. If you are a SAHM with a gym with daycare- this could be you. If you work full-time have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a husband - THIS IS NOT YOU. I don't know anyone who looks like this under those circumstances. But I get better everyday. I don't hate her - maybe I wish I had her time though...

NO.

I have 3 kids (spaced 2 years apart each), 2 dogs (one is diabetic), and a husband who works 12 hours shifts and does endurance mountain biking (so he's gone a lot). I also work 45-50 hours a week and just completed a master's degree at a rigorous university (although I was only working 30 hours then). And you're right, I don't look like that......

yet.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Maybe she should have captioned it, "You can't do this."

or

"U mad?"

how about

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

Back in 2011 when everyone was sending out mad requests for farmville mob wars words with friends bejeweled bluizt, the stupid pet things and all that BS on facebook - I responded in kind to every single one of them - arent you always complaining about how you dont have time to work out?
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

We've identified your excuse!

This woman does not work out for a living. Her husband is disabled. She owns two (non-fitness-related) businesses. She spends about one hour working out, 5 times a week.

I don't use any excuses, bro. I am 22, unmarried, and have no children. I work out plenty hard and eat right.

However, I know people who are as busy as this woman is, and make time to put in an hour of exercise every day and eat healthy. My mother had three kids of similar ages, worked, and made time to workout every day and she ate/eats a very vegetable-centered diet (with lean meats as well). However, she did/does not look like this woman.

So I find it hard to believe that an hour of exercise per day would get this woman that body 8 months after having a kid (however it might be enough now that she's maintaining). I'd like to see her pregnancy pics for comparison, maybe she only gained about 10 pounds before she gave birth.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Also my hubby has a saying

Excuses are like @&&holes everybody has them.

We all have excuses and instead of looking at oneself, people turn and make negative comments about her. She is just getting you to looking within.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can see is if she has the ability to dedicate more time to fitness such as she works in the fitness industry or is a SAHM. That of course makes scheduling easier. If someone wants something bad enough of course he/she will make it happen, but it's difficult and unfair to compare your life to another's if you have certain advantages others may not.

I agree with this - if you get to workout for a living - then this could be you. If you are a SAHM with a gym with daycare- this could be you. If you work full-time have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a husband - THIS IS NOT YOU. I don't know anyone who looks like this under those circumstances. But I get better everyday. I don't hate her - maybe I wish I had her time though...

Totally false. The biggest problem is that people think it takes a lot of time to look like this. They want to believe this because to accept that it can be done with a few hours per week of being active and managing calories takes away their excuses.
    Agree with the last poster here...For the two quotes above that - why don't you go read the article before you spout such nonsense??? She has a full time job, no nanny, no daycare...
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Maybe she should have captioned it, "You can't do this."

or

"U mad?"

how about

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

Back in 2011 when everyone was sending out mad requests for farmville mob wars words with friends bejeweled bluizt, the stupid pet things and all that BS on facebook - I responded in kind to every single one of them - arent you always complaining about how you dont have time to work out?

While funny, I am sure they were pissed. :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

NO.

I have 3 kids (spaced 2 years apart each), 2 dogs (one is diabetic), and a husband who works 12 hours shifts and does endurance mountain biking (so he's gone a lot). I also work 45-50 hours a week and just completed a master's degree at a rigorous university (although I was only working 30 hours then). And you're right, I don't look like that......

yet.

Just from your profile picture I'd say you are damn close! (creeped your pictures and yep, still say you are damn close) :flowerforyou:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

no one has time.

we all MAKE it.

if you can make time for soap operas or chatting on the phone with friends on logging into facebook or browsing even one forum on MFP - you have time to be the healthiest version of yourself possible.

truth.

I'm not disagreeing with this, but I know how busy my mom was with three kids of similar ages, and she made time to go for a run for an hour every day. She is practically a vegetarian and eats 95% clean and healthy.
    She has NEVER looked like the woman in the photo.

Saying, "what's your excuse" is an absurd and confrontational choice of words. It implies far more than if it said, "If I can do it, so can you" or something else that is inspirational without being pushy or braggy.

Personal preference. I would find something like "if I can do it, so can you" to be trite and patronizing.

Just because it doesn't blow air up your skirt in no way makes it wrong or absurd. Just different strokes for different people
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I like how if some posters don't agree with other posters 100% then we must have excuses.

In fact, I never said anything derogatory or insulting about this woman.

What I quoted were facts from an article where this woman was interviewed and stated that a larger portion of her life has been and is dedicated to fitness than what is being thrown around on this post.

Preparing for pageants from a young age, preparing for fitness competitions, running a fitness based NFP.

Her husband is disabled, she runs two businesses, she works out, she does whatever. Her kids are not school age. And I'm too believe she has no help?

I don't buy it.

There are no excuses. It has nothing to do with my personal goals or value as a woman or ability to exercise.

I just don't believe all the information being spouted about her and her life to be 100% true.

She put a picture out there with a tagline. She posited a question on the photo. Hopefully, she was prepared for the ****storm that has ensued. If not, then she didn't think hard enough about it before doing it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This woman does not work out for a living. Her husband is disabled. She owns two (non-fitness-related) businesses. She spends about one hour working out, 5 times a week.

I don't use any excuses, bro. I am 22, unmarried, and have no children. I work out plenty hard and eat right.

However, I know people who are as busy as this woman is, and make time to put in an hour of exercise every day and eat healthy. My mother had three kids of similar ages, worked, and made time to workout every day and she ate/eats a very vegetable-centered diet (with lean meats as well). However, she did/does not look like this woman.

So I find it hard to believe that an hour of exercise per day would get this woman that body 8 months after having a kid (however it might be enough now that she's maintaining). I'd like to see her pregnancy pics for comparison, maybe she only gained about 10 pounds before she gave birth.

We already identified your mother's problem: lack of protein and lack of strength training.

Your mom could have looked like that woman with the same time input, with some dietary changes and a change in her workout program.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I can definitely seen why it's controversial. Seems braggish. I understand it's trying to be motivational but it's just annoying. Being a mom is hard enough with out pressure to look like a fitness model. Of course by no means should you use it as an excuse to be unhealthy either. If you don't want to put in the time, or regulate your eating to that degree, you shouldn't feel pressured too. Sometimes just being healthy is "good enough".

QFT.

I will never be satisfied with 'good enough'.

so you and i are probably going to have to agree to disagree from now on.

'good enough' is what I consider my starting point.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

NO.

yet.

psha, you is HOT and strong!!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I like how if some posters don't agree with other posters 100% then we must have excuses.

What I quoted were facts from an article where this woman was interviewed and stated that a larger portion of her life has been and is dedicated to fitness than what is being thrown around on this post.

Preparing for pageants from a young age, preparing for fitness competitions, running a fitness based NFP.

Her husband is disabled, she runs two businesses, she works out, she does whatever. Her kids are not school age. And I'm too believe she has no help?

I don't buy it.

There are no excuses. It has nothing to do with my personal goals or value as a woman or ability to exercise.

I just don't believe all the information being spouted about her and her life are 100% true.

She put a picture out there with a tagline. She posited a question on the photo. Hopefully, she was prepared for the ****storm that has ensued. If not, then she didn't think hard enough about it before doing it.

Well, then I guess everyone who posted pictures in the MFP Fitspiration thread better "watch out".

Eye_roll.gif
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

<~~~ proof that it does ONLY take an hour a day and yes, I am a mom of 2 who works full time and only works out 3-5 days a week for no more than an hour a day. It IS possible.

ETA: my profile pics have not been touched or edited.
  • yoovie
    Options

I don't buy it.

I just don't believe all the information being spouted about her and her life to be 100% true.

Use yourself as a positive example then!

Youre busy and have a very full life! So share with us what you have managed to accomplish since you joined MFP in June!!!
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I don't buy it.

I just don't believe all the information being spouted about her and her life are 100% true.

thank you, this is exactly what I'm trying to say. And yeah, I love how we have excuses instead of just differing opinions. I'm into my second month of my second round of Insanity and have maintained a <1200 cal diet for the last month. I don't make excuses, I put my time and work in, and control my appetite. We obviously aren't falling back on excuses if we're using MFP. Derp.
  • yoovie
    Options

<~~~ proof that it does ONLY take an hour a day and yes, I am a mom of 2 who works full time and only works out 3-5 days a week for no more than an hour a day. It IS possible.

the single, never married, no kids argument that moms dont have enough time to exercise. im confused. i'll let this one be cause I dont see the logic circle closing in yet.

*NOT aimed at puffy - btw - obv
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I can definitely seen why it's controversial. Seems braggish. I understand it's trying to be motivational but it's just annoying. Being a mom is hard enough with out pressure to look like a fitness model. Of course by no means should you use it as an excuse to be unhealthy either. If you don't want to put in the time, or regulate your eating to that degree, you shouldn't feel pressured too. Sometimes just being healthy is "good enough".

QFT.

I will never be satisfied with 'good enough'.

so you and i are probably going to have to agree to disagree from now on.

'good enough' is what I consider my starting point.

Freakin' hi5 Yoovie!

To me, good enough is settling and I've done that for too long and had enough of that crap. I'm aiming for being the best I can be and not letting excuses hold me back.