Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I wonder how people would react to someone waving a PhD certificate around saying "What's your excuse?"

When I mention my doctorate online, people:
    Insist that I'm lying
    Smugly ask me for a list of my publications, and then fail to reply when I provide one
    Smugly tell me that educational achievements have nothing to do with intelligence
    Smugly tell me a personal anecdote about someone they know with a doctorate who is stupid and/or unsuccessful in life
    Smugly tell me a personal about a high school dropout they know (sometimes themselves) who is smart and/or successful in life (if themselves, the anecdote will invariably be riddled with spelling and grammar errors despite their supposed higher-than-mine IQ)
    Smugly tell me that I must not have any common sense or "street smarts", because that and education are opposites
    Smugly tell me that I must not have any social skills, because that and education are opposites

I think the bottom line is that women are expected to be meek and self-deprecating, and when a woman publicly celebrates her personal accomplishments, everyone rushes in to pull her back down to her "proper place."
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think the bottom line is that women are expected to be meek and self-deprecating, and when a woman publicly celebrates her personal accomplishments, everyone rushes in to pull her back down to her "proper place."

Sadly, this.
    really wanted to input the "rainbow cake" quote from mean girls (i hate being serious) but worried about backlash lol.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Its a good debate topic.

Its a hot topic because women spent so many decades fighting for the right to be free and choose their own happiness and live outside the traditional box - and now that we are finally enjoying the fruits of the labor of our generation and the ones before us - we are being dragged down and torn apart by our own.

Guys are prolly like - yo let those crazy chicks have whatever they want - they'll all tear each other's hair out and then put us back in charge lollergasm. -scratches butt-

You forgot the finger sniff.

It is like you know nothing about men.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    After checking out her website and Instagram photos, I find Maria Kang incredibly inspiring...
    58f7f75e22cf11e380a722000aaa08b2_7.jpg

BURN THE WITCH!

-friending her on facebook today-

I decided to check out her facebook page today after seeing it blowing up my newsfeed. I decided to like it/her because I see nothing wrong with the picture and I thought she seemed like the type of person I'd like to be/know.

It's all about our perception/interpretation. If you want to see it as a negative, you will.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but the thing I find most wrong with the pic is the suggestion that every woman could look like that if they just stopped making excuses. That woman is gorgeous. If all she is flaunting is her fitness, then what is with the glamour makeup and hair?

And the caption is more than a little narcissistic. "What is your excuse?" It implies that she imagines every woman wants to look like her.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I feel sad for the people who are attacking her and not wanting to see past their own insecurities. It is their loss not hers. She has been inspiring me for nearly a yr when I first read her story with the same photograph. There is also another picture she posted recently where she is sitting down in a bathing suit on the beach with her beautiful "momma" skin ( stretched and slightly flabbed like mine).

And for the remark that they are not her husbands children...Grow up and educate yourself on the many possibilities of how the children could look. My husband is Puerto Rican(looks black) and our son came out looking like the identical version of him, excpet has coarse blonde hair, blue eyes and is white
    > and is 100% his!

What is the difference between an attack and a critical analysis of her intent/approach? People who have offered the latter are being labelled as "haters", which serves little purpose in driving a substantive discussion.
  • myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options
    I think it struck a cord with some moms because there are kids who can make a person lose their freaking mind. Seeing a mom of 3 flaunting her tight body and say motherhood isn't an excuse for being overweight only gives them a target to hate (since it's in poor taste to hate your own kids :laugh:).

That mom looks great and I strive to have her body someday (sooner than later!). She isn't responsible for me eating my way to obesity; I am.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    After checking out her website and Instagram photos, I find Maria Kang incredibly inspiring...

BURN THE WITCH!

I decided to check out her facebook page today after seeing it blowing up my newsfeed. I decided to like it/her because I see nothing wrong with the picture and I thought she seemed like the type of person I'd like to be/know.

It's all about our perception/interpretation. If you want to see it as a negative, you will.

Just eat the pizza! And yeah, my kids think it's hilarious to crawl under my while I do pushups, then I squish them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

What if another mom posted a picture of their 3 graduate degrees or their corner office or their bestselling novel and used that same caption? It would be rude, right?

Bwahahahahaha I just had an image of hillary clinton with that caption over her head

Don't most people post their degrees in their office? I kinda like to see that if I am visiting a professional.
  • myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options

BURN THE WITCH!

Just eat the pizza! And yeah, my kids think it's hilarious to crawl under my while I do pushups, then I squish them.

My kids leave me alone for the most part when I'm exercising, but the youngest likes to do yoga with me. Which is fun, until he goes left when he should be going right and yoga turns into a rendition of human bumper cars.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
    this again?:huh:
    snoozefest.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Publicity stunt, indeed!!!

Someone knows how to push the right buttons to get people talking.

1. Mixing sexy and babies just creeps some people out (me for one). I'm not saying that she looks skanky, but she ain't exactly dressed like someone loading up the minivan to schlep her kids to the grocery store. The photo makes the kids look like props.

2. Someone else mentioned the text. I agree - Yeah, "if I can do it, so can you!" sounds much less b¡tchy than her hands on her hips, saying "What's your excuse?" It's confrontational - on purpose.

Slick marketing product there. I imagine she paid a pretty penny for it.

Creepy??????????? Wow! I was thinking, "ADORABLE!" when I saw the photo! Calling it creepy just shows where your mind is.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I didn't say 'provocative', I said 'sexy'.

Angry_7c0934_660289.gif

Thanks a lot! You made me spit out my coffee!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Publicity stunt, indeed!!!

Someone knows how to push the right buttons to get people talking.

1. Mixing sexy and babies just creeps some people out (me for one). I'm not saying that she looks skanky, but she ain't exactly dressed like someone loading up the minivan to schlep her kids to the grocery store. The photo makes the kids look like props.

2. Someone else mentioned the text. I agree - Yeah, "if I can do it, so can you!" sounds much less b¡tchy than her hands on her hips, saying "What's your excuse?" It's confrontational - on purpose.

Slick marketing product there. I imagine she paid a pretty penny for it.

Creepy??????????? Wow! I was thinking, "ADORABLE!" when I saw the photo! Calling it creepy just shows where your mind is.
    I don't even think "sexy" when I look at that picture. I think, "Woman who works out wearing workuot clothes."

She's not in lingerie, FPS, with her legs spread.

Apparently, though, if you look too good, you're "sexy" and that means it's inappropriate to have kids in the picture with you.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I wonder how people would react to someone waving a PhD certificate around saying "What's your excuse?"
    (...)
    There is a difference. A PhD is not feasible for all people, perhaps not even most.
    Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is.

For what it's worth, I don't think she looked all that hot in the original image (elbows too pointy) it was clearly chosen so as to highlight her fitness level rather than her attractiveness.

That swimsuit pic on the other hand :love:

A PhD is mostly hard work in the same way that achieving a certain body condition is hard work.

I wouldn't post a picture of my graduation along side my kids/husband/dogs/hamster and say 'what's your excuse" because it seems a bit big headed and assumes that everyone should have the same goals as me.

In addition to "hard work," it requires the ability to achieve a Master's first, and a Bachelor's, oh and a high school diploma. That is *not* achievable for people with less-than-average intelligence. You don't have to be smart to be fit. You do have to be smart to get a PhD.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Hm. I like the picture, don't get the problem or why people are being so sensitive about it.

And yes, she may be half naked, but I don't get people's problems with a woman's body. Some people seem to be bothered by the fact that she's half naked WITH her kids in the photo. Which I don't get the problem with that either, a body is a natural beautiful thing. We were all born naked right!?

No kidding! And how many women take their kids to the pool or swim park while wearing a bikini? Jealous is as jealous does.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but the thing I find most wrong with the pic is the suggestion that every woman could look like that if they just stopped making excuses. That woman is gorgeous. If all she is flaunting is her fitness, then what is with the glamour makeup and hair?

And the caption is more than a little narcissistic. "What is your excuse?" It implies that she imagines every woman wants to look like her.

Yeah - you cant flaunt your fit body AND wear makeup and fix your hair lololol that's just asking for too much. you cant be fit and look pretty. you can only have one!

Obvs she broke the rules and didnt give up makeup and hairdos in exchange for fitness. I call shenanigans.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Only people who already have something psychologically wrong up there - would accuse a mother of being creepy with her own children, just because she's hanging out with them and wearing a two piece.

Thank you, yoovie. This is worth repeating!
  • yoovie
    Options
    I feel sad for the people who are attacking her and not wanting to see past their own insecurities. It is their loss not hers. She has been inspiring me for nearly a yr when I first read her story with the same photograph. There is also another picture she posted recently where she is sitting down in a bathing suit on the beach with her beautiful "momma" skin ( stretched and slightly flabbed like mine).

And for the remark that they are not her husbands children...Grow up and educate yourself on the many possibilities of how the children could look. My husband is Puerto Rican(looks black) and our son came out looking like the identical version of him, excpet has coarse blonde hair, blue eyes and is white
    > and is 100% his!

What is the difference between an attack and a critical analysis of her intent/approach? People who have offered the latter are being labelled as "haters", which serves little purpose in driving a substantive discussion.

you cant debate a marketing tactic by criticizing the part you are inferring. They are criticizing the 'fact' that she is saying people have no reason not to look like her. when that's totally not what it's saying. It's asking if you make excuses or make results.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I think it struck a cord with some moms because there are kids who can make a person lose their freaking mind. Seeing a mom of 3 flaunting her tight body and say motherhood isn't an excuse for being overweight only gives them a target to hate (since it's in poor taste to hate your own kids :laugh:).

That mom looks great and I strive to have her body someday (sooner than later!). She isn't responsible for me eating my way to obesity; I am.

true - some kids are monsters