Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Well she can't exactly help looking sexy if she is sexy, now can she? If she wasn't in an intentionally provocative pose or outfit, then it is just her natural sexiness that you're basing that on.

This is my problem too. Some days I get tired of feeling like a big fatty slab of sexy meat.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I never met any obese people who have excuses. we dont need to explain ourselves to any of you. We don't owe you anything.

My sarcasmometer didn't go off on this one...

...which means either you're serious...

...or I need to have this usually remarkably accurate piece of expensive machinery recalibrated.

Which is it?

I was also confused by that post. The comment managed to go mostly unnoticed (surprisingly). I hope it was sarcasm....
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I still dont see the problem with this picture. Even after trying really hard.

The message I see.

Having a few young children and a busy life is not a valid excuse for not losing weight and getting into shape...if that is something you really want.

I see nothing wrong with that message. *shrug*

If its not something your really want then it does not apply to you. Move on.

If you dont think it is possible then dont try. Move on.

Everything else about what she is wearing or how she must be neglecting her kids is just ridiculous nonsense. Move on.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    http://www.mariakang.com/category/fitness/

It's sad that I've seen similar stories in the success threads and her story is being ripped apart and her success torn down because she chose to try to do a fitspo type photo.

Why do people on MFP choose to belittle this story but will scold anyone who does what they do to those who post fitspo pictures on the MFP Fitspiration thread or/and post their success stories in the Success area?

Kang invited comments of all types when she posed a question with the word "your" and ending in excuse
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I still dont see the problem with this picture. Even after trying really hard.

The message I see.

Having a few young children and a busy life is not a valid excuse for not losing weight and getting into shape...if you that is something you really want.

I see nothing wrong with that message. *shrug*

If its not something your really want then it does not apply to you. Move on.

If you dont think it is possible then dont try. Move on.

Everything else about what she is wearing or how she must be neglecting her kids is just ridiculous nonsense. Move on.

I could not have stated how I feel any better than that. (Slow clap)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I really don't like some of the faux-feminists take on this: 'she's letting the side down projecting this image'.

Women can wear whatever the hell they want. If they want to project their their sexuality they can. If they want to wrap their body in a burkha and hide it from the world they can. Clothes are morally neutral. This feminism-lite approach to appearance is just internalised hate dressed up as gender politics.

Feminism is about freedom and equality and the movement has more pressing issues in the world than someone's outfit - for example child marriage, and the unacceptably high rates of sexual assault and domestic violence.

I think you missed the "feminist point" on this. Have you been reading too many Miley Cyrus articles?

How many Miley Cyrus articles is too many? So what do you mean, what do you see as the "feminist point"? I just don't like women criticising other women's clothing choices and saying that's feminism. That's not MY feminism anyway.

I've read too many. I can't stand to look at another picture of that girl. But the reason I said that is because that's what's being argued in that whole controversy. None of the articles I've read about this or posts I've seen about this have at all talked about her sexuality. It's mostly been about fat shaming or unrealistic expectations or telling women that they need to focus on looking like she does. Sorry if I missed the few random posts talking about her clothes, but you're really focusing on a very small part of the commentary surrounding this and saying that's the "Feminist point of view" being portrayed. My feminist commentary on this topic has nothing at all to do with her sexuality or what clothes she chooses to wear. That's why I see your comment as pretty silly and irrelevant.

It wasn't directed at you - there were a few posts earlier saying the poster was encouraging women to be victimised. The only thing that makes a victim is an abuser.
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I think her body and fitness level are absolutely amazing. She is obviously very dedicated and that is super awesome. I know that I (or anyone, really) can lose weight if we put in the work. But it is not realistic for me to think that I will look like her- pregnancy causes stretch marks for some women, loose skin that doesn't completely go away after pregnancy, and changes in hips/breasts.... that stuff just genetically happens to some women and not others. I can still be in the best shape possible for me after pregnancy, but I cant look just like her. But as far as her message and photo- kudos to her- she is a beautiful woman.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I wonder how people would react to someone waving a PhD certificate around saying "What's your excuse?"
    (...)
    There is a difference. A PhD is not feasible for all people, perhaps not even most.
    Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is.

For what it's worth, I don't think she looked all that hot in the original image (elbows too pointy) it was clearly chosen so as to highlight her fitness level rather than her attractiveness.

That swimsuit pic on the other hand :love:

A PhD is mostly hard work in the same way that achieving a certain body condition is hard work.

I wouldn't post a picture of my graduation along side my kids/husband/dogs/hamster and say 'what's your excuse" because it seems a bit big headed and assumes that everyone should have the same goals as me.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Just to expand a bit more on some of the issues around working out at (the $ excuse, the age excuse)..

There is *great* individual variability in orthopaedic health, especially if you're over a certain age. Some wear and tear is normal. But formerly sedentary people - ie the obese - are more injury-prone than people who never put xx or xxx lbs of extra weight on their joints. And often, by the time they start worrying about it in their 30s-40s, age related changes to bones and ligaments have already started. Sometimes, there are hidden issues with biomechanics that haven't come up.

Then, lots of these overweight people who've been on their butts for years get all motivated, and jump head first into running or some plyometric scene (that is exactly what I did).

The free or low-cost stuff that tends to appeal to highly motivated overweight people, by the way, is usually something high impact like that (eg Insanity or whatever), that can deliver, in theory, *because* it's high impact and high intensity. And that message gets through to motivated people because it's either got tons of marketing or is the prevailing common sense. It takes knowledge and experience to know how to manage macros, how to build a balanced fitness program that includes strength training, etc. That doesn't happen immediately, usually.

Add to that that maybe, highly motivated overweight/obese people who've been sedentary for ages might not have the natural body awareness or athletic background to do it right.

It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to look (and stay) that hot without hurting yourself, even for free. Access to fitness knowledge is a kind of privilege - whether it's because you've got good healthy bones and normal biomechanics, or you've got a knack for learning form, or because you grew up in a family that valued and invested in physical activity, so have a long athletic history from which to draw.

Most people, especially older folks, could *really* do with good physical education from eg a trainer, and a gym (because yeah you can run every day, but cross-training is better, and machines cost money; outdoor hobbies other than running or walking cost money; weights cost money). Physical therapy costs money, too (boy does it ever).
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Just to expand a bit more on some of the issues around working out at (the $ excuse, the age excuse)..

There is *great* individual variability in orthopaedic health, especially if you're over a certain age. Some wear and tear is normal. But formerly sedentary people - ie the obese - are more injury-prone than people who never put xx or xxx lbs of extra weight on their joints. And often, by the time they start worrying about it in their 30s-40s, age related changes to bones and ligaments have already started. Sometimes, there are hidden issues with biomechanics that haven't come up.

Then, lots of these overweight people who've been on their butts for years get all motivated, and jump head first into running or some plyometric scene (that is exactly what I did).

The free or low-cost stuff that tends to appeal to highly motivated overweight people, by the way, is usually something high impact like that (eg Insanity or whatever), that can deliver, in theory, *because* it's high impact and high intensity. And that message gets through to motivated people because it's either got tons of marketing or is the prevailing common sense. It takes knowledge and experience to know how to manage macros, how to build a balanced fitness program that includes strength training, etc. That doesn't happen immediately, usually.

Add to that that maybe, highly motivated overweight/obese people who've been sedentary for ages might not have the natural body awareness or athletic background to do it right.

It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to look (and stay) that hot without hurting yourself, even for free. Access to fitness knowledge is a kind of privilege - whether it's because you've got good healthy bones and normal biomechanics, or you've got a knack for learning form, or because you grew up in a family that valued and invested in physical activity, so have a long athletic history from which to draw.

Most people, especially older folks, could *really* do with good physical education from eg a trainer, and a gym (because yeah you can run every day, but cross-training is better, and machines cost money; outdoor hobbies other than running or walking cost money; weights cost money). Physical therapy costs money, too (boy does it ever).

This is true. There was a post the other day from a lady who had ended up in a wheelchair with a leg paralysed after going 'fat to fit' with cardio. I was working with a young girl today who has two ruptured discs, from years of running 6 nights a week. She's only 27.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Publicity stunt, indeed!!!

Someone knows how to push the right buttons to get people talking.

1. Mixing sexy and babies just creeps some people out (me for one). I'm not saying that she looks skanky, but she ain't exactly dressed like someone loading up the minivan to schlep her kids to the grocery store. The photo makes the kids look like props.

2. Someone else mentioned the text. I agree - Yeah, "if I can do it, so can you!" sounds much less b¡tchy than her hands on her hips, saying "What's your excuse?" It's confrontational - on purpose.

Slick marketing product there. I imagine she paid a pretty penny for it.

DRESS CODE VIOLATION!!!

CALL CPS!!!
    Did you actually TRY to understand the point I was trying to make, or were you just looking for something to comment on?

I did understand the point you were trying to make, it's just that it was a silly argument. Of course her kids were being used as part of the picture...that was kind of the point of the whole thing. She had a goal, and met it...with kids. People take pictures of kids all the time...and even *gasp* use them in advertisements! Are you complaining about those?

As for the tone of the argument...I don't even...seriously? She's being too confrontational? Do you want participation medals or something for trying your best and not hitting your goals?

Most mothers who take pictures with their children are actually looking at or making physical contact with their children.

I'm not saying she's a bad person, a bad mother, a bad anything. I'm saying that this image is an example of good, slick marketing.

Good. Marketing is meant to help reach people. We want to reach people. To you know... get them working towards fitness... don't we? Is that still cool? That why we here still? Was there a memo? Confused now.

Don't market healthy lifestyles.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    No one likes a person who's being condescending and smug. Just an FYI for your future knowledge.

alanis.gif
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hm. I like the picture, don't get the problem or why people are being so sensitive about it.

And yes, she may be half naked, but I don't get people's problems with a woman's body. Some people seem to be bothered by the fact that she's half naked WITH her kids in the photo. Which I don't get the problem with that either, a body is a natural beautiful thing. We were all born naked right!?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I was more disturbed about the Time Magazine photo of the woman being suckled by a 5 year old on a stool.

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head!!
    It gives some people some of the same feelings that the "milk mom" did.
    Not exactly the same, but I'm willing to bet that most of her detractors are female and mothers. Not all of them fat, even.

I'm putting in my 2 cents as to the original poster's question... Basically, "what's icky about this picture?"

Uh. Er....some women in impoverished countries breast feed their children at that age. Do you think that's icky? Breast milk is free for mothers and high in nutrients and protective immunity. Breast feeding is natural and boys aren't able to even have an erection until they go through puberty and aren't sexual at the age of six. It's looked down on in our society but we also cut off parts of our male children's genitalia for funsies (it really has little health benefit).

Judgmental much, lady? Maybe you should inform that judgement.

I made no comment on breast feeding or even my personal opinion of the breast feeding issue.
    I made no comment on my personal opinion of the photo in question, besides the fact that trying to look sexy with children around your feet creeps me out.

I simply tried to explain why some people may find the image along with the text, "creepy".

She doesn't even look provocative. She's just kneeling because her children are tiny. :huh:

I didn't say 'provocative', I said 'sexy'.

What's wrong with being a sexy mom? This is getting more ridiculous by the minute...
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I wonder how people would react to someone waving a PhD certificate around saying "What's your excuse?"
    (...)
    There is a difference. A PhD is not feasible for all people, perhaps not even most.
    Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is.

For what it's worth, I don't think she looked all that hot in the original image (elbows too pointy) it was clearly chosen so as to highlight her fitness level rather than her attractiveness.

That swimsuit pic on the other hand :love:

A PhD is mostly hard work in the same way that achieving a certain body condition is hard work.

I wouldn't post a picture of my graduation along side my kids/husband/dogs/hamster and say 'what's your excuse" because it seems a bit big headed and assumes that everyone should have the same goals as me.

Um ... In addition to the work, it also requires a certain amount of intelligence to acquire a PhD ... The fact that you are equating the level of intelligence it requires to obtain a PhD, to the level of intelligence and amount of work it takes to get up off your butt and exercise and not shovel crap into your mouth, is laughable ...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    Wonder how this would have went if it was a dude that posted a pic and stated the same thing?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Wonder how this would have went if it was a dude that posted a pic and stated the same thing?

IDEA Fitness member

Men aren't that catty.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

it is not even comparable, dudes are not expected to invest the same amount of time in childrearing; their bodies aren't completely messed with by the invasion of another creature, there is not the same unreasonable expectation to maintain youthful beauty all through life, and the accusation of laziness if that doesn't happen (and men are thought attractive into their later years even if they don't work out), etc etc etc.

it is not problematic because women are "catty", jesus effing.

if a male cover model had a pretty face, though, some men might cut him down by calling him a pretty boy (and taking that where it often goes). if he was more rugged looking and tough, or else just cool, they would want to be more like him.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Mrow?
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    maybe i was unfair, maybe you have some definition of 'catty' that isn't familiar to me. i thought i just sounded peeved?