Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Fit mom is fit, doesn't use children, work, or disabled husband as excuse.

Other mommies/fatties (Yeah, I said fatties) get mad and pull out a whole lot of reasons to discredit said fit mom

She must not have gained any real weight while preggo. She must have nannies/help. She must be neglecting her kids. She must be lying about he amount of work she puts in. She's victimizing women. She's trying to tell me I have to look like her! Well after I had MY baby I couldn't have thisthatandthethird.

And it all boils down to even in a thread where someone is saying "Don't make excuses, just do!" people are still making excuses.

Did I miss anything?

The question then becomes, WHO exactly was she targeting? The obese? The slightly overweight? The person with 5 pounds to lose? Should someone who is only a few pounds overweight be subjected to scrutiny?

Additionally, if "fit mom" is going to put herself in the public eye with a statement (photo) like that, she should have skin thick enough to endure the court of public opinion, which tends to execute anyone with even the slightest hint of self righteousness, regardless of intent.

It almost seems like a well executed publicity stunt.

She posted it on her Facebook page, which is a fitness page. People generally like it and follow her to get motivation and tips. that was her target. It went viral because people liked it and shared it with people that are not on her Facebook. And her response just shows how thick her skin is:

I've been getting an influx of new followers, emails and comments (on my profile pic) recently. Some saying I'm a bully, I'm fat-shaming and I need to apologize for the hurt I've caused women. I get it. SO here's my First and Final Apology:

I'm sorry you took an image and resonated with it in such a negative way. I won't go into details that I struggled with my genetics, had an eating disorder, work full time owning two business', have no nanny, am not naturally skinny and do not work as a personal trainer. I won't even mention how I didn't give into cravings for ice cream, french fries or chocolate while pregnant or use my growing belly as an excuse to be inactive.

What I WILL say is this. What you interpret is not MY fault. It's Yours. The first step in owning your life, your body and your destiny is to OWN the thoughts that come out of your own head. I didn't create them. You created them. So if you want to continue 'hating' this image, get used to hating many other things for the rest of your life. You can either blame, complain or obtain a new level of thought by challenging the negative words that come out of your own brain.

With that said, obesity and those who struggle with health-related diseases is literally a 'bigger' issue than this photo. Maybe it's time we stop tip-toeing around people's feelings and get to the point. So What's Your Excuse? - Maria Kang

So she engages viewers of the photo by using the word "your" and subsequently blames them for daring to interpret the text surrounding the photo.

Additionally, she wants readers to quit tip toeing around the feelings of others yet wrote about how hurt she was regarding the insults.

Regardless of whether or not she is right or wrong, the contradictions are annoying.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I wonder how people would react to someone waving a PhD certificate around saying "What's your excuse?"
    (...)
    There is a difference. A PhD is not feasible for all people, perhaps not even most.
    Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is.

For what it's worth, I don't think she looked all that hot in the original image (elbows too pointy) it was clearly chosen so as to highlight her fitness level rather than her attractiveness.

That swimsuit pic on the other hand :love:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Other mommies/fatties (Yeah, I said fatties) get mad and pull out a whole lot of reasons to discredit said fit mom

She must not have gained any real weight while preggo. She must have nannies/help. She must be neglecting her kids. She must be lying about he amount of work she puts in. She's victimizing women. She's trying to tell me I have to look like her! Well after I had MY baby I couldn't have thisthatandthethird.

And it all boils down to even in a thread where someone is saying "Don't make excuses, just do!" people are still making excuses.

Did I miss anything?

Nope,. you covered all; except for the guy that said that she must have a lot of free time Of course, she only has three kids........:grumble:
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I will firstly say I think she is beautiful and obviously worked really hard to achieve her goals. I don't find it controversial but I do kind of find the wording is a little grating. I think maybe it's a self confidence and cultural thing, being a shy english girl if someone so much as gives me a compliment I am telling them they are wrong and start putting myself down so posting a picture like that with those words seems quite boastful. Then again she worked hard and if she wants to show off her body I don't see why she shouldn't if it makes her feel good.

I think it would have been nicer to put something like "You can make time to reach your goals" it would speak to more people. Some women don't make excuses and yet no extra hour at the gym is going to remove stretch marks or changes that happen to some women during pregnancy. Also it kind of assumes everyone has the same goal to look like her. Although she is beautiful there is beauty in different types of body.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I wonder how people would react to someone waving a PhD certificate around saying "What's your excuse?" It completely neglects there are SO MANY FACTORS involved in how we look and how fit we are just like our educational level has a lot to do with class, race, etc.

Also, to each their own. Some people take time for themselves by working out their brain or spending time on their loved ones. Just because someone doesn't look like her doesn't mean they aren't healthy. And not everyone wants to achieve what she has achieved. For some people focusing on themselves is this after a long day of fulfilling work:

tumblr_mejnl0uTaQ1qj13p7o1_500.gif

She just sound extremely arrogant and self-satisfied. Just no.

Sorry if this was already covered. There's no way in hell I'm reading this entire thread.

Edited...because Stupid gif!

So you're saying that with effort and time and baring serious medical issues (and even then...) everyone couldn't be as fit as this woman? I'll never look like her (What with being a totally different person and all) but I can certainly be just as fit. And she never said people who don't look like her aren't healthy; you just pulled that out of the air.

And of course she's self satisfied. Why the hell shouldn't she be? Because it offends you? Pft.

If your argument is about fitness then why is the picture focused on her outward appearance? Why is she not lifting heavy things? Why is she essentially in a bra and underwear? Why no deadlift, squat, bench press stats? Sure does seem like the emphasis is on her strength *giant eye roll*!

But yes. Barring medical issues, I believe that people can become as strong as they want to, given that they have access to the gym, knowledge of how to workout with proper form and not injuring themselves, and access to ample protein sources. You forget how many of these things are privileges.

Also, being self-satisfied never looked good on anyone. Y'know how pride is considered a sin and all, not that I'm even vaguely religious. No one likes a person who's being condescending and smug. Just an FYI for your future knowledge.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options

I wouldn't call that just reaching and maintaining a healthy weight. Just sayin'. If you think that you should look like that to be a "healthy weight" you're deluded.
  • Derpes
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Did I miss anything?

Nope,. you covered all; except for the guy that said that she must have a lot of free time Of course, she only has three kids........:grumble:

Easy, there! My words were misinterpreted (like hers), I meant "flexible schedule" ;) yes, I'm joking.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Did I miss anything?

The question then becomes, WHO exactly was she targeting? The obese? The slightly overweight? The person with 5 pounds to lose? Should someone who is only a few pounds overweight be subjected to scrutiny?

Additionally, if "fit mom" is going to put herself in the public eye with a statement (photo) like that, she should have skin thick enough to endure the court of public opinion, which tends to execute anyone with even the slightest hint of self righteousness, regardless of intent.

She posted it on her Facebook page, which is a fitness page. People generally like it and follow her to get motivation and tips. that was her target. It went viral because people liked it and shared it with people that are not on her Facebook. And her response just shows how thick her skin is:

I've been getting an influx of new followers, emails and comments (on my profile pic) recently. Some saying I'm a bully, I'm fat-shaming and I need to apologize for the hurt I've caused women. I get it. SO here's my First and Final Apology:

I'm sorry you took an image and resonated with it in such a negative way. I won't go into details that I struggled with my genetics, had an eating disorder, work full time owning two business', have no nanny, am not naturally skinny and do not work as a personal trainer. I won't even mention how I didn't give into cravings for ice cream, french fries or chocolate while pregnant or use my growing belly as an excuse to be inactive.

What I WILL say is this. What you interpret is not MY fault. It's Yours. The first step in owning your life, your body and your destiny is to OWN the thoughts that come out of your own head. I didn't create them. You created them. So if you want to continue 'hating' this image, get used to hating many other things for the rest of your life. You can either blame, complain or obtain a new level of thought by challenging the negative words that come out of your own brain.

With that said, obesity and those who struggle with health-related diseases is literally a 'bigger' issue than this photo. Maybe it's time we stop tip-toeing around people's feelings and get to the point. So What's Your Excuse? - Maria Kang

So she engages viewers of the photo by using the word "your" and subsequently blames them for daring to interpret the text surrounding the photo.

Additionally, she wants readers to quit tip toeing around the feelings of others yet wrote about how hurt she was regarding the insults.

Regardless of whether or not she is right or wrong, the contradictions are annoying.
    '

Where did you get the idea that she was hurt? Nothing about that seems hurt to me.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Did I miss anything?

^^^^^^ THIS!!! SOOOO THIS!!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I wouldn't call that just reaching and maintaining a healthy weight. Just sayin'. If you think that you should look like that to be a "healthy weight" you're deluded.

She is within a healthy weight range, which I'm willing to risk as an assumption. She just isn't on the higher end of that spectrum. I would consider you at a healthy weight as well.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options

It depends on priorities. Does someone want a PhD or a banging body? Or are they satisfied with less than that? And I'd still be happy for the person with the PhD.

But that's the point. What's my excuse? My excuse is caring more about my work/family/mental acuity to want to look like a fitness model. (Note: I'm saying this as someone who lifts and who has a similar body to hers as a goal. I'm just speaking for other women). I don't think that makes me a woman an "jealous fatty" because she doesn't see that as a priority.
  • Derpes
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Did I miss anything?

'

Where did you get the idea that she was hurt? Nothing about that seems hurt to me.

Here is a direct quote, her words

"It said I should be ashamed of myself and that I should take down my Facebook profile picture," Kang recalled. "It said I'm a shame to women. It was deep and hurtful."

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=20579880&ref=https://www.google.com/
  • whierd
    Options

It depends on priorities. Does someone want a PhD or a banging body? Or are they satisfied with less than that? And I'd still be happy for the person with the PhD.

But that's the point. What's my excuse? My excuse is caring more about my work/family/mental acuity to want to look like a fitness model. (Note: I'm saying this as someone who lifts and who has a similar body to hers as a goal. I'm just speaking for other women). I don't think that makes me a woman an "jealous fatty" because she doesn't see that as a priority.

Sssshhhhhh. It is hard for me to objectify you when you keep posting. :tongue:
  • Achrya
    Options

If your argument is about fitness then why is the picture focused on her outward appearance? Why is she not lifting heavy things? Why is she essentially in a bra and underwear? Why no deadlift, squat, bench press stats? Sure does seem like the emphasis is on her strength *giant eye roll*!

But yes. Barring medical issues, I believe that people can become as strong as they want to, given that they have access to the gym, knowledge of how to workout with proper form and not injuring themselves, and access to ample protein sources. You forget how many of these things are privileges.

Also, being self-satisfied never looked good on anyone. Y'know how pride is considered a sin and all, not that I'm even vaguely religious. No one likes a person who's being condescending and smug. Just an FYI for your future knowledge.

Because looking great is a wonderful side effect of fitness? Because it pulls in the viewers eye? Because her stats would be meaningless to most people but a picture of a fit woman resonates with everyone?

You don't need access to a gym to get strong, btw. Body weight workouts are very effective, can be found on line for free, nad can take you pretty far. I workout at home the vast majority of the time and I seem to be doing just fine. If you have the desire to be fit and strong than the rest will happen. Only people interested in excuses will complain about not having gym access or lacking in equipment because those without excuses have already put in the time and research to get around those barriers.

I'm pretty self satisfied, condescending, and smug. I'm so pleased with myself on a daily basis it's pretty absurd. People seem to like me well enough. I'd even go so far as to say that some people like me because of those reasons.

Hmm. The fact I'm fairly self-satisfied is probably why I found no issue with the picture, actually. /mindblown
  • Achrya
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Did I miss anything?

'

Here is a direct quote, her words

"It said I should be ashamed of myself and that I should take down my Facebook profile picture," Kang recalled. "It said I'm a shame to women. It was deep and hurtful."

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=20579880&ref=https://www.google.com/

Oh. A quote from somewhere else. I thought you meant she seemed hurt in her 'apology.'.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options

Dude. I know, right? And they more I post, the more I risk having my "objectify me please" photos reported. Sigh. The hard life of an exhibitionist feminist.
  • whierd
    Options

Dude. I know, right? And they more I post, the more I risk having my "objectify me please" photos reported. Sigh. The hard life of an exhibitionist feminist.

New objectifying picture ftw!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Publicity stunt, indeed!!!

Someone knows how to push the right buttons to get people talking.

1. Mixing sexy and babies just creeps some people out (me for one). I'm not saying that she looks skanky, but she ain't exactly dressed like someone loading up the minivan to schlep her kids to the grocery store. The photo makes the kids look like props.

2. Someone else mentioned the text. I agree - Yeah, "if I can do it, so can you!" sounds much less b¡tchy than her hands on her hips, saying "What's your excuse?" It's confrontational - on purpose.

Slick marketing product there. I imagine she paid a pretty penny for it.
  • whierd
    Options
    Publicity stunt, indeed!!!

Someone knows how to push the right buttons to get people talking.

1. Mixing sexy and babies just creeps some people out (me for one). I'm not saying that she looks skanky, but she ain't exactly dressed like someone loading up the minivan to schlep her kids to the grocery store. The photo makes the kids look like props.

2. Someone else mentioned the text. I agree - Yeah, "if I can do it, so can you!" sounds much less b¡tchy than her hands on her hips, saying "What's your excuse?" It's confrontational - on purpose.

Slick marketing product there. I imagine she paid a pretty penny for it.

Well, let's look at it for a moment.

The picture is about fitness and having no excuses, like having children and a busy home life, to avoid getting in shape.

Being that it is about fitness, she is wearing workout gear. Nothing that I'd be shocked to see on a woman in the gym or boxing ring.

Being that some people use having children (because of pregnancy and also because of the time they spend rearing them), she included her children in the picture.

It is all pretty relevant.

I was more disturbed about the Time Magazine photo of the woman being suckled by a 5 year old on a stool.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options

Because looking great is a wonderful side effect of fitness? Because it pulls in the viewers eye? Because her stats would be meaningless to most people but a picture of a fit woman resonates with everyone?

You don't need access to a gym to get strong, btw. Body weight workouts are very effective, can be found on line for free, nad can take you pretty far. I workout at home the vast majority of the time and I seem to be doing just fine. If you have the desire to be fit and strong than the rest will happen. Only people interested in excuses will complain about not having gym access or lacking in equipment because those without excuses have already put in the time and research to get around those barriers.

I'm pretty self satisfied, condescending, and smug. I'm so pleased with myself on a daily basis it's pretty absurd. People seem to like me well enough. I'd even go so far as to say that some people like me because of those reasons.

Hmm. The fact I'm fairly self-satisfied is probably why I found no issue with the picture, actually. /mindblown

A picture of a ridiculously fit woman obviously doesn't resonate with everyone. Hence all the angry comments. And I'm pretty damn positive there are women who can lift what she lifts and do what she does and not look that way. Outward appearance, contrary to popular belief, isn't the best way to judge someone's fitness level. Having that ab definition has a whole lot more to do with diet than it does strength.

Ah. The YAYOG argument. Ok. Sure. But even that information requires knowing where to look and really doesn't have the same effect as dumbbell/barbell exercises. It really doesn't, especially if you don't know what you're doing. I see a billion half-a$$ed push-ups and crunches happening when I think of that as a solution.

But...but...how do you really know if people like you if you think ridiculously highly of yourself? Wouldn't you just think people liked you anyway? And thus is the problem with narcissism.