Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread yet (still on part 1) but I wanted to say this:

Reading through all the replies makes me wonder how differently some MFPers would feel if this was a member's success story. If this woman used MFP and posted that photo under the "Success Stories", I'm willing to bet NO ONE would have a negative thing to say. It would be all smiles, "way to go's", and "you are such an inspiration!"

Just an interesting thought I had.

Carry on.

Because we are all here for the same thing
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Since I'm a trainer by trade, I can emphatically say that I've had lots of people (including clients) give me several reasons on why they can't get themselves in the physical fitness they'd like. Some are legit, some aren't.
    Let me just state this: barring any health issue or disability (which sometimes can still be overcome), people are where they are now because they choose to be. No one is forcing them to make this choice, it's a choice they are content with. If one isn't happy with how they are physically, then the reality is that they need to get up off their *kitten* and do something about it. And it won't take years to do if the commitment is there. Is it simple? Yes. Is it easy? It depends on the person's view of hard and easy. Point is that NO ONE who is fit did it by sitting by and hoping it may happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    also can I just throw in the attitude that her results aren't "possible for everyone" This.. THIS is why we're fat. and in debt. and in crappy relationships. and in crappy jobs.

I should probably leave this thread before I ragestroke.

I like this. negativity is a fast track to settling for mediocre.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Fit mom is fit, doesn't use children, work, or disabled husband as excuse.

Other mommies/fatties (Yeah, I said fatties) get mad and pull out a whole lot of reasons to discredit said fit mom

She must not have gained any real weight while preggo. She must have nannies/help. She must be neglecting her kids. She must be lying about he amount of work she puts in. She's victimizing women. She's trying to tell me I have to look like her! Well after I had MY baby I couldn't have thisthatandthethird.

And it all boils down to even in a thread where someone is saying "Don't make excuses, just do!" people are still making excuses.

Did I miss anything?

The question then becomes, WHO exactly was she targeting? The obese? The slightly overweight? The person with 5 pounds to lose? Should someone who is only a few pounds overweight be subjected to scrutiny?

Additionally, if "fit mom" is going to put herself in the public eye with a statement (photo) like that, she should have skin thick enough to endure the court of public opinion, which tends to execute anyone with even the slightest hint of self righteousness, regardless of intent.

It almost seems like a well executed publicity stunt.

fair point....
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Just as an aside, she posted an update on her Facebook page:

'Maria Kang

I know some of you have seen the news and the motherhood/weight/bully/fat-shaming debate is on a roll. For those who have supported me and follow my site and this page I want to say THANK YOU. You know who I am. You know I have stretchmarks. I have excess skin. I get depressed. I'm often overwhelmed and I'm not always motivated to eat healthy and exercise. But, I do it. I may splurge on chocolate or miss a workout - but I never stop, I never quit, and I never stop striving. I am a real mom, with real obligations and this is a real picture of me - excess skin at all - saying YOU are beautiful. Motherhood is beautiful. AND it can make you better!'

1375109_659943487369943_2009820870_n.jpg
  • whierd
    Options

'Maria Kang

I know some of you have seen the news and the motherhood/weight/bully/fat-shaming debate is on a roll. For those who have supported me and follow my site and this page I want to say THANK YOU. You know who I am. You know I have stretchmarks. I have excess skin. I get depressed. I'm often overwhelmed and I'm not always motivated to eat healthy and exercise. But, I do it. I may splurge on chocolate or miss a workout - but I never stop, I never quit, and I never stop striving. I am a real mom, with real obligations and this is a real picture of me - excess skin at all - saying YOU are beautiful. Motherhood is beautiful. AND it can make you better!'

Showing her mommy tummy! Good for her!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options

'Maria Kang

Now we just have to wait for the haters to say that her stretch marks are extra skin are nothing compared to theirs.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ElizaKat001
    ElizaKat001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is my take – agree with me or don’t.

I think this would have been a perfectly appropriate post if the caption had been something positive and encouraging. Saying “hey look, I’m a mom of 3 who also works, and I was able to focus on this awesome goal and make it happen!” is totally okay. What’s not okay, in my opinion, is the judgmental “What’s Your Excuse?” It’s essentially telling other women, “I’m better than you because I have achieved something that you haven’t.”

What if another mom posted a picture of their 3 graduate degrees or their corner office or their bestselling novel and used that same caption? It would be rude, right?

If having that body is a major life goal for her, than I really am happy for her that she’s accomplished it. But that fact is, looking like that isn't the only worthy goal. People have different priorities and want different things from their lives, and I feel that it’s condescending to tell people that they should want what you have. Nobody can be perfect at everything. I’m sure this woman has areas in her life that’s she’s not 100% kicking *kitten* at, and I’m sure she doesn’t want them pointed out to her.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

What if another mom posted a picture of their 3 graduate degrees or their corner office or their bestselling novel and used that same caption? It would be rude, right?

Bwahahahahaha I just had an image of hillary clinton with that caption over her head
  • whierd
    Options

I think this would have been a perfectly appropriate post if the caption had been something positive and encouraging. Saying “hey look, I’m a mom of 3 who also works, and I was able to focus on this awesome goal and make it happen!” is totally okay. What’s not okay, in my opinion, is the judgmental “What’s Your Excuse?” It’s essentially telling other women, “I’m better than you because I have achieved something that you haven’t.”

If having that body is a major life goal for her, than I really am happy for her that she’s accomplished it. But that fact is, looking like that isn't the only worthy goal. People have different priorities and want different things from their lives, and I feel that it’s condescending to tell people that they should want what you have. Nobody can be perfect at everything. I’m sure this woman has areas in her life that’s she’s not 100% kicking *kitten* at, and I’m sure she doesn’t want them pointed out to her.

Isnt that true?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    also can I just throw in the attitude that her results aren't "possible for everyone" This.. THIS is why we're fat. and in debt. and in crappy relationships. and in crappy jobs.

I should probably leave this thread before I ragestroke.

Three solid posts so far. I like you.

She waited two long years before jumping into the forums...

...so there's probably a lot of rage and/or awesome built up. Go ahead, let it out.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

I have a goal to better my health and to have a body I can live in and with for many years to come but I also have other goals. maybe what I took from that picture is that I do not have valid excuses keeping me back from improving my health and body, but that they also can't stop me from my goals of traveling, owning a home, finishing my degree, etc. you are right in that her goal is not necessarily the same as everyone's, but that doesn't mean she is only promoting having a body like hers. I would find it equally empowering if she was someone who came from complete destitution and had a picture of herself with a doctorate. belittling someone's goals because YOU find them trivial is not cool.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This being controversial is actually pretty funny to me. Stop using the fact that you had children as the reason you gained weight. I actually wish I could get pregnant again because having a baby helps me to lose, I tend to eat less and become more active because I have a little one to take care of and no time to eat unless I am truly hungry. This woman looks amazing and no doubt she worked her *kitten* off to keep her body in shape and healthy! She isn't saying every woman should look like her, but it says that even a mother can stay active and healthy.

LOLWUT?
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

'Maria Kang

I was just going to post this. I have her on my Facebook and I think she is fabulous.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Here is my take.

I am British, I moved to the US in 1999. One of the most insane cultural differences is that many Americans seem to lack personal responsibility. At least compared to the my friends and family back home.

The 'not my fault' and 'blame anyone and everyone, except me' seemed was initially really hilarious.

If an American crashes there car, it is nothing to do with their lack of skills, it is always for a reason that is tantalizingly just outside of their control. The errant dog, the poor signposts, the low sun, the inexplicable unintended acceleration. It has nothing to do with a lack of attention, or pedal confusion.

The reason I am overweight is simple. I eat more than I burn. I do not quite care about my shape quite enough to really push myself as often as I should. Or maybe I should slow down the shoveling of tasty unhealthy food into my mouth.

Either way, it is 100% my fault that I am overweight.

Eat too much ?
    Exercise too little ?

It is nothing at all to do with how tasty junk food it, or even how Starbucks ask if I want 'room for cream' and only give me 3/4 of a cup.

It is my inability to curb my consumption, or increase my burn.

Many Americans seem eager to apply the same false logic to their bodies. Its not my fault I am fat, it is McDonalds and their cheap and tasty food. It is not my fault that I waddle, I have a medical condition (yeah, you are morbidly obese because you eat so much).

This woman is amazing, she has womaned up and got into better shape than many can dream of in a really impressively short period.

There should be do controversy, those that know, deep down, that they are making excuses need to simply gaze in awe at what can be achieved by admitting that you are blame-shifting and getting off your lardy *kitten* and burning more than you eat.....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This being controversial is actually pretty funny to me. Stop using the fact that you had children as the reason you gained weight. I actually wish I could get pregnant again because having a baby helps me to lose, I tend to eat less and become more active because I have a little one to take care of and no time to eat unless I am truly hungry. This woman looks amazing and no doubt she worked her *kitten* off to keep her body in shape and healthy! She isn't saying every woman should look like her, but it says that even a mother can stay active and healthy.

LOLWUT?

But being pregnant IS the reason I gained weight... :huh:
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

i was on the fence on this, but i actually agree with the above. 'Whats your excuse?' is not only incredibly presumptious on a few levels, but incredibly confrontational. Maybe its good for business to cause a bit of a stir. You could argue that the wording was deliberate to get a spiky response, maybe a cynical stunt. But i'm not presuming anything, because i don't know her.
    maybe, her ad shouldn't be making presumptions either.......
  • Lunnunis
    Lunnunis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The pic is not just on MFP, is it? Likewise I was not aiming for anyone here in particular.

Big package being something you can't change as it's what nature gave you - same as her nice face and figure.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I just turned on the radio and this is being discussed.

People are saying she is neglectful to her children. Lawl.

People are ridiculous. A woman takes some time for herself and she's neglecting her children? :grumble:

Yeah, you know how much "time" it took for me to get back into fighting shape after my first kid? 3 classes one hour a week at my college where I got college units credit for it as PE anyways. It was an aerobics class. Then when I transferred to the university I signed up for swimming and still got GE credit for it. WINNING!

.oO(The schools didn't seem to think it was neglectful to do these kinds of things with a child as they were the one's babysitting for me at the time?)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

'Maria Kang

She had me at chocolate.