Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    I think people get upset because the comment looks a little catty and their knee-jerk reaction to it is to get defensive. I wouldn't pretend to know why as it's probably a mixture of different reasons for each person, but I can see why they get angry. That doesn't excuse rudeness and cruelty, though, and reading about some of the hate this woman has received makes me feel really gross inside. I've read her story and she hasn't had a perfect pixie life of being thin and carefree. In fact, I bet her story isn't unlike most of the stories of the people who are angry at her and attacking her. Personally, I see no real issue with the image. It's just another run of the mill fitspo thing, and it's actually pretty motivational in my opinion. The fact that a woman could have three children and still find time to stay on her fitness game is awesome! I hope she keeps it up and continues to love herself.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Publicity stunt, indeed!!!

Someone knows how to push the right buttons to get people talking.

1. Mixing sexy and babies just creeps some people out (me for one). I'm not saying that she looks skanky, but she ain't exactly dressed like someone loading up the minivan to schlep her kids to the grocery store. The photo makes the kids look like props.

2. Someone else mentioned the text. I agree - Yeah, "if I can do it, so can you!" sounds much less b¡tchy than her hands on her hips, saying "What's your excuse?" It's confrontational - on purpose.

Slick marketing product there. I imagine she paid a pretty penny for it.

DRESS CODE VIOLATION!!!

CALL CPS!!!
    Did you actually TRY to understand the point I was trying to make, or were you just looking for something to comment on?

I did understand the point you were trying to make, it's just that it was a silly argument. Of course her kids were being used as part of the picture...that was kind of the point of the whole thing. She had a goal, and met it...with kids. People take pictures of kids all the time...and even *gasp* use them in advertisements! Are you complaining about those?

As for the tone of the argument...I don't even...seriously? She's being too confrontational? Do you want participation medals or something for trying your best and not hitting your goals?

Most mothers who take pictures with their children are actually looking at or making physical contact with their children.

I'm not saying she's a bad person, a bad mother, a bad anything. I'm saying that this image is an example of good, slick marketing.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I didn't say 'provocative', I said 'sexy'.

Angry_7c0934_660289.gif
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I really don't like some of the faux-feminists take on this: 'she's letting the side down projecting this image'.

Women can wear whatever the hell they want. If they want to project their their sexuality they can. If they want to wrap their body in a burkha and hide it from the world they can. Clothes are morally neutral. This feminism-lite approach to appearance is just internalised hate dressed up as gender politics.

Feminism is about freedom and equality and the movement has more pressing issues in the world than someone's outfit - for example child marriage, and the unacceptably high rates of sexual assault and domestic violence.

I think you missed the "feminist point" on this. Have you been reading too many Miley Cyrus articles?

How many Miley Cyrus articles is too many? So what do you mean, what do you see as the "feminist point"? I just don't like women criticising other women's clothing choices and saying that's feminism. That's not MY feminism anyway.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    http://www.mariakang.com/category/fitness/

It's sad that I've seen similar stories in the success threads and her story is being ripped apart and her success torn down because she chose to try to do a fitspo type photo.

Why do people on MFP choose to belittle this story but will scold anyone who does what they do to those who post fitspo pictures on the MFP Fitspiration thread or/and post their success stories in the Success area?

Because she didn't make it a before and after. There's no story, just an image. The woman was in the fitness industry and pageantry I believe before she even was pregnant. There's no "I learned how to eat better and get healthy" message in this. Just "I'm super fit and look hot. What's your excuse?". Success stories are just that...stories. Not judgement. They are easy to relate to for many people. That's why they're so popular. And it also helps if they're your friends.

Did you actually look at the link? I'm guessing not.

And not all the Fitspo posts in the MFP Fitspiration thread have before and afters either.

Yeah. Sorry. I didn't. But to be honest, she put the picture on facebook. You have a point. Yeah, you can say that if everyone read her blog they could relate more to her. But really what was put into the media by her was just that picture.

And I still see it as radically different from the MFP success stories I've seen. But I'm not really trolling the success stories boards and just look when it's someone I know or a friend of a friend. The ones I've seen aren't braggy at all. Or else they'd look smug and rude. Also, we're on MFP not facebook. We're all here for fitness/health/appearance reasons.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I was more disturbed about the Time Magazine photo of the woman being suckled by a 5 year old on a stool.

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head!!
    It gives some people some of the same feelings that the "milk mom" did.
    Not exactly the same, but I'm willing to bet that most of her detractors are female and mothers. Not all of them fat, even.

I'm putting in my 2 cents as to the original poster's question... Basically, "what's icky about this picture?"

Uh. Er....some women in impoverished countries breast feed their children at that age. Do you think that's icky? Breast milk is free for mothers and high in nutrients and protective immunity. Breast feeding is natural and boys aren't able to even have an erection until they go through puberty and aren't sexual at the age of six. It's looked down on in our society but we also cut off parts of our male children's genitalia for funsies (it really has little health benefit).

Judgmental much, lady? Maybe you should inform that judgement.

I made no comment on breast feeding or even my personal opinion of the breast feeding issue.
    I made no comment on my personal opinion of the photo in question, besides the fact that trying to look sexy with children around your feet creeps me out.

I simply tried to explain why some people may find the image along with the text, "creepy".

She doesn't even look provocative. She's just kneeling because her children are tiny. :huh:

I didn't say 'provocative', I said 'sexy'.

Well she can't exactly help looking sexy if she is sexy, now can she? If she wasn't in an intentionally provocative pose or outfit, then it is just her natural sexiness that you're basing that on.

Why do you hate women?

What?!?!

Dude, that comment is so beneath you. You seem smarter than that.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

1. Mixing sexy and babies just creeps some people out (me for one). I'm not saying that she looks skanky, but she ain't exactly dressed like someone loading up the minivan to schlep her kids to the grocery store. The photo makes the kids look like props.

2. Someone else mentioned the text. I agree - Yeah, "if I can do it, so can you!" sounds much less b¡tchy than her hands on her hips, saying "What's your excuse?" It's confrontational - on purpose.

DRESS CODE VIOLATION!!!

CALL CPS!!!
    Did you actually TRY to understand the point I was trying to make, or were you just looking for something to comment on?

I did understand the point you were trying to make, it's just that it was a silly argument. Of course her kids were being used as part of the picture...that was kind of the point of the whole thing. She had a goal, and met it...with kids. People take pictures of kids all the time...and even *gasp* use them in advertisements! Are you complaining about those?

As for the tone of the argument...I don't even...seriously? She's being too confrontational? Do you want participation medals or something for trying your best and not hitting your goals?

Most mothers who take pictures with their children are actually looking at or making physical contact with their children.

I'm not saying she's a bad person, a bad mother, a bad anything. I'm saying that this image is an example of good, slick marketing.

But she can't touch her kids because that would be 'creepy'
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I really don't like some of the faux-feminists take on this: 'she's letting the side down projecting this image'.

Women can wear whatever the hell they want. If they want to project their their sexuality they can. If they want to wrap their body in a burkha and hide it from the world they can. Clothes are morally neutral. This feminism-lite approach to appearance is just internalised hate dressed up as gender politics.

Feminism is about freedom and equality and the movement has more pressing issues in the world than someone's outfit - for example child marriage, and the unacceptably high rates of sexual assault and domestic violence.

I think you missed the "feminist point" on this. Have you been reading too many Miley Cyrus articles?

How many Miley Cyrus articles is too many? So what do you mean, what do you see as the "feminist point"? I just don't like women criticising other women's clothing choices and saying that's feminism. That's not MY feminism anyway.

I've read too many. I can't stand to look at another picture of that girl. But the reason I said that is because that's what's being argued in that whole controversy. None of the articles I've read about this or posts I've seen about this have at all talked about her sexuality. It's mostly been about fat shaming or unrealistic expectations or telling women that they need to focus on looking like she does. Sorry if I missed the few random posts talking about her clothes, but you're really focusing on a very small part of the commentary surrounding this and saying that's the "Feminist point of view" being portrayed. My feminist commentary on this topic has nothing at all to do with her sexuality or what clothes she chooses to wear. That's why I see your comment as pretty silly and irrelevant.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

What?!?!

I was being facetious. :wink:
  • DamePiglet
    Options

What?!?!

I was being facetious. :wink:

Oh thank God!!!!
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Also, being self-satisfied never looked good on anyone. Y'know how pride is considered a sin and all, not that I'm even vaguely religious. No one likes a person who's being condescending and smug. Just an FYI for your future knowledge.

alanis.gif
  • whierd
    Options
    Also, being self-satisfied never looked good on anyone. Y'know how pride is considered a sin and all, not that I'm even vaguely religious. No one likes a person who's being condescending and smug. Just an FYI for your future knowledge.

alanis.gif

You are evil for getting that song stuck in my head...
  • DamePiglet
    Options

DRESS CODE VIOLATION!!!

CALL CPS!!!

Yeah, you got me there.

BTW, "being stronger" is your 'aspiration', not your 'inspiration'. There's a difference.
  • whierd
    Options

DRESS CODE VIOLATION!!!

CALL CPS!!!

Yeah, you got me there.

BTW, "being stronger" is your 'aspiration', not your 'inspiration'. There's a difference.

Who said it wasn't?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

DRESS CODE VIOLATION!!!

CALL CPS!!!

Yeah, you got me there.

Unless I know what it feels like to be stronger...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

DRESS CODE VIOLATION!!!

CALL CPS!!!

Yeah, you got me there.

Unless I know what it feels like to be stronger...

It's both for me. I want to be stronger than I was...and when I complete one of my fitness goals or up the weights...that inspires and motivates me to continue to fulfill my aspiration to continue being stronger.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    It's both for me. I want to be stronger than I was...and when I complete one of my fitness goals or up the weights...that inspires and motivates me to continue to fulfill my aspiration to continue being stronger.

Oh it can most certainly be both.

The difference between aspiration and inspiration when it comes to a wall that has predefined sections for input is a pretty asinine angle to critique.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    thomas-gore-eating-an-oreo-o.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

It depends on priorities. Does someone want a PhD or a banging body? Or are they satisfied with less than that? And I'd still be happy for the person with the PhD.

But that's the point. What's my excuse? My excuse is caring more about my work/family/mental acuity to want to look like a fitness model. (Note: I'm saying this as someone who lifts and who has a similar body to hers as a goal. I'm just speaking for other women). I don't think that makes me a woman an "jealous fatty" because she doesn't see that as a priority.

Sssshhhhhh. It is hard for me to objectify you when you keep posting. :tongue:

Dude. I know, right? And they more I post, the more I risk having my "objectify me please" photos reported. Sigh. The hard life of an exhibitionist feminist.

Yeah, I hate CG #12 too.
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    B!tches be trippin. 27 pages over this?