Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Could that runner not then crawl to the finish? He still finishes.

It's a bit harsh, but I agree with the idea that reasons are simply excuses that you've rationalized/validated. Something caused you to come up shy of your goal. If you accept that, it's a reason. If you don't, it's an excuse.

I think this is very true... I also think that it has to do with how you feel others perceive the validity of your reason that makes the difference between an excuse and a reason.

When you offer an excuse, you are asking for others to concur with you that your reason is a valid reason for not completing your task.

I think that excuses imply a person's lack of comfort with whether their REASON is "valid", the excuse giver is seeking for another individual to support their reason.

Interesting point about others' agreement.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You are certainly taking quite a judgmental leap to assign her horrible personality deficiency, based solely on a single picture and a phrase that some (not saying "all", or even "many") may find inspirational.

Isnt' that what's at the core of this whole "debate"? People feel that she is judging them if they don't live up to her standards/expectations/whatever, so they get defensive then judge her back as being condescending, narcissistic, heck... I think someone even suggested she was *kitten* because her kids were obviously not from the same father.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    However, through her choice of wording alone, SHE is bullying innocent people that don't live up to HER standards on her FB page (not to mention others now that it's gone viral).

OPINION. Personal Perception. Flag on the play.

himym-gif-youve-been-lawyered.gif
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

It's a bit harsh, but I agree with the idea that reasons are simply excuses that you've rationalized/validated. Something caused you to come up shy of your goal. If you accept that, it's a reason. If you don't, it's an excuse.

I see it the opposite. An excuse is an unacceptable reason. that we try to legitimatize as a hindrance in our ability to do something. Having children is not an acceptable reason to avoid exercise, but having lou gehrigs disease could be. Not finishing a marathon because its hard is not an acceptable reason, but not finishing the race because two terrorists set bombs at the finish line is. You don't need to validate or rationalize legitimate reasons because they are valid. Making excuses is when you try to validate things that aren't.

We're saying the same thing, aren't we? The difference between a reason and an excuse is whether or not you accept it as why you didn't hit your goal. And that distinction may very well differ from person to person.

Similar, but I think reasons are generally out of your control, while excuses are within your control. I can't stop a hurricane from plowing through NYC and cancelling the NYC marathon, but I can control whether I get out and run. Maybe I run the marathon distance on a trail on my own or maybe I sign up for the next marathon or wait until next year or maybe I just quit running because this particular race was cancelled. That is all up to me and my choice. So I can run 26 miles or not, but nothing I do can make the 2012 NYC Marathon happen. So I don't think reasons needed accepting because they are valid. I think we try to make excuses seem acceptable and valid, when they are not. We don't necessarily get to choose our reasons, but we always choose our excuses.
    Let's try this another way: Did you have "excused absences" as a kid, or do you know a school where "excused absences" are a valid option?

Now, compare that to the "no excuses" mantra.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

When you offer an excuse, you are asking for others to concur with you that your reason is a valid reason for not completing your task.

I think that excuses imply a person's lack of comfort with whether their REASON is "valid", the excuse giver is seeking for another individual to support their reason.

This isn't always true. For example, a friend calls and asks if I want to go running. I say, 'no sorry I broke my ankle'. I'm not asking for my friends validatoin of my reason, I'm simply letting them know why I can't go.
  • yoovie
    Options

I see it the opposite. An excuse is an unacceptable reason. that we try to legitimatize as a hindrance in our ability to do something. Having children is not an acceptable reason to avoid exercise, but having lou gehrigs disease could be. Not finishing a marathon because its hard is not an acceptable reason, but not finishing the race because two terrorists set bombs at the finish line is. You don't need to validate or rationalize legitimate reasons because they are valid. Making excuses is when you try to validate things that aren't.

We're saying the same thing, aren't we? The difference between a reason and an excuse is whether or not you accept it as why you didn't hit your goal. And that distinction may very well differ from person to person.

Similar, but I think reasons are generally out of your control, while excuses are within your control. I can't stop a hurricane from plowing through NYC and cancelling the NYC marathon, but I can control whether I get out and run. Maybe I run the marathon distance on a trail on my own or maybe I sign up for the next marathon or wait until next year or maybe I just quit running because this particular race was cancelled. That is all up to me and my choice. So I can run 26 miles or not, but nothing I do can make the 2012 NYC Marathon happen. So I don't think reasons needed accepting because they are valid. I think we try to make excuses seem acceptable and valid, when they are not. We don't necessarily get to choose our reasons, but we always choose our excuses.
    Let's try this another way: Did you have "excused absences" as a kid, or do you know a school where "excused absences" are a valid option?

Absences that were because I didnt feel like going - were not considered excused absences and if I had too many unexcused absences, I would fail.

Excused absences were only allowed for circumstances beyond my or my parents control.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Stop talking sense - you're ruining a good women bashing women thread.

I thinks she looks awesome and inspiring and if you take away a negative from this, then that is your issue - not hers.

I will never understand why women can be such cows to each other. :noway:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I understand and agree with her overall message about health. And of course she looks great.

However, through her choice of wording alone, SHE is bullying innocent people that don't live up to HER standards on her FB page (not to mention others now that it's gone viral).

Of for gods sake she is not BULLYING people

Do you even know what that word means? FFS :angry:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I thinks she looks awesome and inspiring and if you take away a negative from this, then that is your issue - not hers.

Cows are actually very friendly.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Cows are actually very friendly.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That wasn't the word I wanted to use and couldn't think of one that wouldn't earn me a strike. :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    As someone who's been bullied, I take offense to people saying that a photo like this is bullying. If she said this directly to you, if she posted it on your Facebook page when you said you can't lose weight because you have kids, if she printed out copies of it and handed them to everyone she saw that was overweight... THEN it could be bullying.

On the other hand, I find the people saying she's narcissistic, creepy, her kids look like they have different fathers, etc. to be the bullies in this situation.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options

Absences that were because I didnt feel like going - were not considered excused absences and if I had too many unexcused absences, I would fail.

Excused absences were only allowed for circumstances beyond my or my parents control.
    But, that would mean that "excused absences" were ones for which you had a legitimate excuse. Your originally stated position - quoted, as I understood it, verbatim from your sorority pledge days - is that there is no such thing as a legitimate excuse, because to say otherwise would undermine the validity of the "no excuses" stance it takes. It doesn't say "no excuses, unless they're really good or somehow legitimate."
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    So, some fit mom with three kids posted a picture and the words "What's your excuse?" to inspire people. And for whatever reason, there's been heap loads of hate regarding the image. .......... Your thoughts?

I think it's great that she's so fit. And I even think it's great that she wan't to be a motivation for people. She looks great. I think the problem comes when fit people assume that people who aren't as fit are lazy slobs. "What's your excuse?" comes across as sanctimonious and judgmental.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

This isn't always true. For example, a friend calls and asks if I want to go running. I say, 'no sorry I broke my ankle'. I'm not asking for my friends validatoin of my reason, I'm simply letting them know why I can't go.

I would call that a reason... not an excuse. You don't need validation. An excuse is a reason without perceived validity... either your own perception, or (often) someone else's.

For you - you don't need your friend to agree with you... you know your reason is valid.

For others, if their friend pushed them harder, they would try and run, because they doubt the validity of their reason and wonder if it is only an excuse.

:wink:
  • yoovie
    Options
    An excuse is a reason without perceived validity... either your own perception, or (often) someone else's.

humphumphump
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also think one person's reason could be perceived as another person's excuse.

If I can't go to Zumba with my friend because my son has a hockey game, that is a valid reason for me. I go to all of my kids' sporting events. Maybe she thinks it's an excuse because she skips her kids' games all the time so she can work out. (This is hypothetical, by the way).

It boils down to the simple fact of what's important to one may not be as important to another.

I love to make pies. I make my own crust. I wouldn't ask my friend what her excuse was for serving me that crap you get out of the refrigerated section of the grocery store instead of making her own. I would just smile and graciously eat the pie she served me. Different people, different priorities.

It's funny, my trainer asked me today about my fitness goals (I've been working out with him for about 15 months, once a week). I said, honestly, I just want to look good naked. Those are MY priorities.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    An excuse is a reason without perceived validity... either your own perception, or (often) someone else's.

humphumphump

SQUEEEEEEEE
  • yoovie
    Options

But, that would mean that "excused absences" were ones for which you had a legitimate excuse. Your originally stated position - quoted, as I understood it, verbatim from your sorority pledge days - is that there is no such thing as a legitimate excuse, because to say otherwise would undermine the validity of the "no excuses" stance it takes. It doesn't say "no excuses, unless they're really good or somehow legitimate."

look here, mr lard sandwich - i didnt go to college and I do not appreciate you trying to make me feel bad about it. I was raised in an isolated religious cult which forbid attending college and I had to fight just to attend public school before that. Insinuating that I had access to sororities and such, when I never said anything of the sort, is bullying me. I had a very good reason for not attending college.

Also - i was responding to your question about excused / non-excused absences. This is referring to excused in its verb form. Excused - means the reason was deemed out of our control. Unexcused means there was not a valid explanation.

Excuse - as in - allow exception from obligation
    not
    Excuse - as in - "i cant exercise cause im broke"
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    You are certainly taking quite a judgmental leap to assign her horrible personality deficiency, based solely on a single picture and a phrase that some (not saying "all", or even "many") may find inspirational.

Isnt' that what's at the core of this whole "debate"? People feel that she is judging them if they don't live up to her standards/expectations/whatever, so they get defensive then judge her back as being condescending, narcissistic, heck... I think someone even suggested she was *kitten* because her kids were obviously not from the same father.

That's women for you.......

I have very few female friends....
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options

look here, mr lard sandwich - i didnt go to college and I do not appreciate you trying to make me feel bad about it. I was raised in an isolated religious cult which forbid attending college and I had to fight just to attend public school before that. Insinuating that I had access to sororities and such, when I never said anything of the sort, is bullying me. I had a very good reason for not attending college.

Also - i was responding to your question about excused / non-excused absences. This is referring to excused in its verb form. Excused - means the reason was deemed out of our control. Unexcused means there was not a valid explanation.

Excuse - as in - allow exception from obligation
    not
    Excuse - as in - "i cant exercise cause im broke"
    As I have no way whatsoever of knowing your particular educational background, there's no way whatsoever I could be judging it. I indicated, quite clearly I thought, that my responses stemmed from MrsMalcolm's posted sorority mantra of "no excuses."

Is it really your belief that the noun form of "excuse" and the verb form of "excuse" have different origins?