calories in calories out...are you sure?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Knitwit116
    Options
    Anyone who is curious about this, like the original poster was since they obviously had experienced the effects of this first hand, should read some of the work by Gary Taubes, Michael Eades, M.D., Dr. Robert Lustig, and Peter Attia, M.D. They are all trying to knock some holes into the sacred dogma of "a calorie is a calorie." If it were really that simple then anyone with a third-grade math ability would be able to lose weight. The human body, we are learning, is a much more nuanced and complicated metabolic machine than we thought. And unfortunately we have millions of capable, intelligent overweight peopl in this country who struggle with obesity not because they are lazy or don't understand and count calories, but they have been given exactly the wrong way to eat via the food pyramid- which says to load up on grains! The very thing (yes, even whole grain) that will flood your body with insulin. The science on this is very interesting and may just surprise you if you can let go of predetermined biases, for just a moment.
  • asummersbreeze
    asummersbreeze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You ar so right on carbs holding water... that is a trick .. its cal in and cal out that is the right way.. I did Scarsdale diet low carb ect.. and gained it back it fell off like nothing but came back just as fast...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is curious about this, like the original poster was since they obviously had experienced the effects of this first hand, should read some of the work by Gary Taubes, Michael Eades, M.D., Dr. Robert Lustig, and Peter Attia, M.D. They are all trying to knock some holes into the sacred dogma of "a calorie is a calorie." If it were really that simple then anyone with a third-grade math ability would be able to lose weight. The human body, we are learning, is a much more nuanced and complicated metabolic machine than we thought.

Oh.

simon_cowell_choke_laugh.gif
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

They will try and scream that I could eat a 3000 calories of poptarts and it'll have the same weight loss properties as 3000 calories of spinach and salmon.
    I've been around here for a long time and read a lot of forum posts and threads and as far as I can tell, I never read where anyone made that statement. Ever. I'd check my reading comprehension if I were you.

Your childish rudeness aside...

Isn't a calorie a calorie? Not taking into account personal health and nutrition (which Jonny wisely mentioned), shouldn't I, according to the theory that all calories are equal, be able to eat 3000 kcal in poptarts and lose the exact same amount if I ate that same 3k in salmon and spinach? Which was entirely the crux of my point, since this thread is questioning whether "calories in calories out" encompasses the totality of weight loss (note: not nutrition or overall health).

For weight loss 3000 calories is 3000 calories.

Weight is not all that matters. No one says it is.

I love that you are throwing the poor "reading comprehension" insult around...

When I am merely addressing the point of THIS thread. The OP of this thread enquired as to whether the "calories in calories out" equation was so simple, saying that they lowered carbs and the scale moved again.

This thread was never about "nutrition", or any other "matters". The OP inquired about macronutrients and calories specifically. I kept the conversation to the original topic brought up by the OP, you create a straw man, and then accuse me of having poor reading comprehension because I refuse to play with said straw man.

Now, moving again beyond the childish rudeness and back to the point of THIS thread...

Will 3000 kcal of poptarts cause the same amount of weight loss as 3000 kcal of salmon and spinach? If it indeed true that all calories are equal, would this be the case for, lets try this again, weight loss?

I didn't say anything about reading comprehension. Don't conflate me with others please.

Anyway, yes weight loss will be about the same eating Pop Tarts versus spinach and salmon at the same calorie intake. How much of that loss is fat will differ a bit.

Yeah, that was me with the suggestion of working on reading comprehension and this post proves my point for me, doesn't it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is curious about this, like the original poster was since they obviously had experienced the effects of this first hand, should read some of the work by Gary Taubes, Michael Eades, M.D., Dr. Robert Lustig, and Peter Attia, M.D. They are all trying to knock some holes into the sacred dogma of "a calorie is a calorie." If it were really that simple then anyone with a third-grade math ability would be able to lose weight. The human body, we are learning, is a much more nuanced and complicated metabolic machine than we thought.

Oh.

simon_cowell_choke_laugh.gif

Lol, wondering when Taubes and Lolstig would show up. Great meme!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

They will try and scream that I could eat a 3000 calories of poptarts and it'll have the same weight loss properties as 3000 calories of spinach and salmon.
    I've been around here for a long time and read a lot of forum posts and threads and as far as I can tell, I never read where anyone made that statement. Ever. I'd check my reading comprehension if I were you.

Your childish rudeness aside...

Isn't a calorie a calorie? Not taking into account personal health and nutrition (which Jonny wisely mentioned), shouldn't I, according to the theory that all calories are equal, be able to eat 3000 kcal in poptarts and lose the exact same amount if I ate that same 3k in salmon and spinach? Which was entirely the crux of my point, since this thread is questioning whether "calories in calories out" encompasses the totality of weight loss (note: not nutrition or overall health).

For weight loss 3000 calories is 3000 calories.

Weight is not all that matters. No one says it is.

I love that you are throwing the poor "reading comprehension" insult around...

When I am merely addressing the point of THIS thread. The OP of this thread enquired as to whether the "calories in calories out" equation was so simple, saying that they lowered carbs and the scale moved again.

This thread was never about "nutrition", or any other "matters". The OP inquired about macronutrients and calories specifically. I kept the conversation to the original topic brought up by the OP, you create a straw man, and then accuse me of having poor reading comprehension because I refuse to play with said straw man.

Now, moving again beyond the childish rudeness and back to the point of THIS thread...

Will 3000 kcal of poptarts cause the same amount of weight loss as 3000 kcal of salmon and spinach? If it indeed true that all calories are equal, would this be the case for, lets try this again, weight loss?

I didn't say anything about reading comprehension. Don't conflate me with others please.

Anyway, yes weight loss will be about the same eating Pop Tarts versus spinach and salmon at the same calorie intake. How much of that loss is fat will differ a bit.

No, you absolutely didn't and I appreciated your tact and maturity the entire conversation. I simply clicked quote on the wrong post, meaning to quote the "Further proof that this poster may want to consider working on reading comprehension" nonsense. I apologize to you.