Paleo SHIFT

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sweets and breads/pastas isn't restrictive so much as healthful! Great job :)

But it is not required to cut these out in order to lose weight and be healthful, in which case many people would see it as being pretty restrictive.

Yes, for many people, it is a requirement to cut out these foods to be healthy. Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't make the experience of others invalid.
    You say "many people," but it's actually a very tiny minority of the human population. That's the problem with these kinds of ideas, someone has a pretty rare condition that necessitates a specific food restriction, and then become convinced that because it's unhealthy for them, it must be unhealthy for all. That's not the case, and there is absolutely nothing unhealthy about bread or pasta.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think for me, eating paleo is about putting foods into my body that our bodies were designed to handle.

Our bodies really weren't designed to handle bread and processed foods.

why are our bodies not designed to eat grain? Humans have been eating grains for thousands of years....

well...because humans have been around for 2 million years, and only in the last 10000 years have humans been farming. We haven't adapted to these new foods, because science tells us that our dna is still exactly the same as the cavemans.
    While others have already explained the folly in this, I'm going to add one more. Farming is irrelevant. Humans were eating wild grains for thousands of years before farming. That's why those grains were selected for agriculture when farming began. They didn't all of a sudden decide to farm stuff, and pick something random, they began growing what they were already eating.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eating this way was key for me to get control of my health, as I am one of those unlucky people who has medical issues that demand some dietary modifications.

I agree that the Paleo evangelicals/zealots/nutters/whatever you want to call them are extremely annoying.

The caveman bit never appealed to me, and I didn't find it relevant to my own situation. What does appeal to me are the improvements I've experienced since changing my diet.

I like the OP's message that there isn't a hard and fast set of rules all of us Paleo eaters follow--we all do this differently as we find out what works for us as individuals. I don't think the diet itself, even in the strictest form (autoimmune protocol) is unhealthy on it's own, but the application of it can most definitely become so. That can be said with any sort of diet, though, including IIFYM or just simply calorie counting.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Irony = OP posts that one should do what works best for everyone, and then goes onto promote Paleo as healthy eating that we should all "try" to switch to...bahahahaha

:laugh:

As I posted in the other paleo thread floating around right now, I tried it and developed some nasty and embarrassing digestive effects from eating this way, as well as started to feel run down, lethargic and started having trouble sleeping. So yeah, paleo was an epic fail for me :noway:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I think for me, eating paleo is about putting foods into my body that our bodies were designed to handle.

why are our bodies not designed to eat grain? Humans have been eating grains for thousands of years....

well...because humans have been around for 2 million years, and only in the last 10000 years have humans been farming. We haven't adapted to these new foods, because science tells us that our dna is still exactly the same as the cavemans.

...Actually science says the exact opposite.

In cultures that have historically drank milk, lactose intolerance can be as low as 10%. In cultures that have not, it rarely gets below 70%. Milk drinking is a fairly recent adaptation. The gene that allows the production of lactase beyond infancy has certainly been selected for in some cultures.
    Besides, if you are going to claim that we are perfectly adapted to the paleolithic diet, which one do you mean? The diet of the Europeans, which was incredibly meat heavy, especially in the winter? That of the Middle eastern people? African paleolithic people? They were all very different from each other and very different from the diet of any modern "paleo" eater.
    some people havent evolved

This. I guess human evolution stopped 10000 years ago? :laugh:

Eta: still waiting for delivery
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    im glad that the people base their diet off of a time when the average age of death was 30

they lived in a time when they didn't have proper shelter...or grocery stores to buy food..they had to hunt...and escape from bears and crap...and didn't have doctors. No **** they live short lives.
    We weren't "designed" for any of those things. See, everyone can play the what humans were designed for game.
    We also weren't designed to sit in cubicles starring at computer screens all day filling out usless forms and listening to eight different bosses droning on about TPS reports.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options

:drinker: THIS
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    im glad that the people base their diet off of a time when the average age of death was 30
    We were only designed to live that long..............its only natural

Logans Run people, it foretells the future!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sweets and breads/pastas isn't restrictive so much as healthful! Great job :)

But it is not required to cut these out in order to lose weight and be healthful, in which case many people would see it as being pretty restrictive.

Yes, for many people, it is a requirement to cut out these foods to be healthy. Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't make the experience of others invalid.

Absolutely. I might also add that I don't care much whether or not anyone agrees with my lifestyle or my diet preferences. Everyone who knows me personally, cannot deny the loss of 28#s from my small 5' frame, the clearing of my skin, the glossiness of my hair, etc.

It's THE best thing I've ever done for myself.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

not this..

what foods were our bodies designed to handle?
  • eric_sg61
    Options

not this..

I wanna know also. I mean civilization would have died out thousands of years ago if not for agriculture and processed food.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

not this..

I wanna know also. I mean civilization would have died out thousands of years ago if not for agriculture and processed food.

What is processing? Cooking, cutting, cultivating, killing, dicing, smooshing??
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

not this..

Maybe it's not that our bodies weren't designed to handle these foods, but that they weren't designed to handle them efficiently? Or that they can, over time, cause ill health? Or that constant exposure to them eventually triggers some genetic responses in some people (the idea that you carry a gene for specific disease, but whether or not it's "triggered" depends on your environment)?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give two hoots what other people think about the way they eat and I tell nobody that my way is the highway, but I know that I feel a lot better since I stopped or severely limited pasta, rice, bread and processed sugars.

We mostly eat a wide range of meats, lots of colourful veg, I still occasionally have a slice of home baked rye bread, a piece of dark chocolate or a bit of honey.

I don't feel deprived in the slightest and have felt fab.

I also loosely follow IIFYM and find that it's a great way to meet my macros.

Don't care what anyone else thinks or does. Do what works for you but don't try to talk me out of or belittle what works for me. That's all. :flowerforyou:
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Eating this way was key for me to get control of my health, as I am one of those unlucky people who has medical issues that demand some dietary modifications.

I agree that the Paleo evangelicals/zealots/nutters/whatever you want to call them are extremely annoying.

The caveman bit never appealed to me, and I didn't find it relevant to my own situation. What does appeal to me are the improvements I've experienced since changing my diet.

I like the OP's message that there isn't a hard and fast set of rules all of us Paleo eaters follow--we all do this differently as we find out what works for us as individuals. I don't think the diet itself, even in the strictest form (autoimmune protocol) is unhealthy on it's own, but the application of it can most definitely become so. That can be said with any sort of diet, though, including IIFYM or just simply calorie counting.

I love that this logical, well-balanced post has been completely buried in the pointless back-and-forth of this thread.

Some people will eat processed carbs.
    Some people will not.
    THE END
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

not this..

Maybe it's not that our bodies weren't designed to handle these foods, but that they weren't designed to handle them efficiently? Or that they can, over time, cause ill health? Or that constant exposure to them eventually triggers some genetic responses in some people (the idea that you carry a gene for specific disease, but whether or not it's "triggered" depends on your environment)?

you avoided the question ...what foods are we "designed" to handle...??
  • eric_sg61
    Options

not this..

Based on what science? I guess my italian relatives who live to be 90-100 years old should have cut out all the bread, pasta and other processed sweets. They could have lived longer? You know what really causes ill health. Wait for it.................getting older.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

not this..

you avoided the question ...what foods are we "designed" to handle...??

I'm not the one that posted that our bodies weren't "designed to handle" certain foods. I was just throwing out some thoughts on what that could mean. I am well aware that some people tolerate things like gluten & dairy just fine. I did for 30 years, but then something changed. I don't claim to know exactly what happened in my body, but I think it's very possible that my "diet" has something to do with it. I also believe that many ailments can be treated (and even healed) through nutrition. Obviously, that's not a one-size-fits-all solution though. For some, it may mean low-carb, for others it may mean gluten-free. I just know that treating my ailments with nutrition has been much more successful than treating with medicine. I also know that I lost the extra weight I was carrying around without counting calories. That doesn't mean I wasn't in a calorie deficit, it just means I wasn't paying attention to calories. Also, I eat a much broader variety of foods now than I did when I still consumed bread/pasta/dairy...etc. That doesn't mean one has to eliminate those foods, but certainly by getting them off my plate, I made room to add more veggies...etc.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love how someone makes a post, just throwing out information for people and instead of just taking the information and allowing people to research that information on their own and make a decesion based on the information they get from their research... They jump down someones throat on why THEY don't like it. That is great, you don't need to be rude, you don't need to attack someone. There was no bashing of someone elses lifestyle choice, there was someone simply promoting a lifestyle they enjoy and works great for them...

Stop bashing what you hate and start promoting what you love.
    The end.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

not this..

What is processing? Cooking, cutting, cultivating, killing, dicing, smooshing??

Processing consists of ingreidents being put in a food to allow it to last longer, be a different color, taste like something that isn't natural by adding a chemicals to it to get it to taste like that... Checmicals that weren't around 50+ years ago and really aren't meant for our bodies. Chemicals that are scientifically proven to help cause Breast Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Disease.

If you don't care about these things than go on with your weight loss. BUT there are really things out there that aren't good for you. It is up to you to take the information that was given to you, research it and figure out what you want to do and it is truly the obligation of the person that holds that information to give it to anyone they can so that people can learn about everything that they can, as we are a curious group of people. Also unfortunately truly judgemental and hateful too.