Paleo SHIFT

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I tried Paleo for 2 months. Felt sick on it, as in nausea, and definitely didn't lose weight. And then came to the conclusion that cutting out a whole food group is just a dumb idea, unless you have a medical reason for it.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I think for me, eating paleo is about putting foods into my body that our bodies were designed to handle.

Our bodies really weren't designed to handle bread and processed foods.

tell me more, tell me more. This is a prime example of why people have an issue with Paleo. Blanket statements based upon anecdotal success stories. Just because YOU feel better not eating bread and processed foods, doesn't mean the entire human race is supposed to avoid those foods and that they should be demonized.

Also, you might want to double check your scientific history....

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NSCA/Inactive_Content/Program_Books/PTC_2013_Program_Book/Aragon.pdf

^ see slide 12.

Very nice! Thanks!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Don't forget to pick up your overpriced and processed paleo protein powder, just like Gorak used to.

There are people out there like that, and that's cool. Because that's what works for them! Again, I don't think anyone believes that they are REALLY eating like a caveman.

I believe you all mean Grok. Who was harvesting and eating grains according to paleolithic dig sites.
  • 13ftw67
    13ftw67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Amen sister
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I hear caveman watered plants with electrolytes too...so we should start doing that as well, right?
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    im glad that the people base their diet off of a time when the average age of death was 30
    We were only designed to live that long..............its only natural

Welp, I better pack it in and start digging my hole...
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I hear caveman watered plants with electrolytes too...so we should start doing that as well, right?

LOL I love you. JUST watched that movie for the first time this summer. "It's got electrolytes..."
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Paleo, like other fad diets, takes it to the extreme.

Like someone mentioned earlier, humans are made to eat a variety of foods. Different cavemen in different parts of the world ate different things. So how do you know which Paleolithic diet to follow??

And the whole back and forth about the causes of disease being determined by who eats all the meat and who doesn't makes no sense to me. I come from a tiny island in the Pacific where we aren't too far removed from wearing grass skirts and living in grass huts. You could say we are/were a hunter-gatherer society who ate predominantly sea food and taro. Well, in the last 20 years or so my people have also been getting fatter and fatter. Diabetes rates have gone up. Why? We have no fast food chains at all. However food is more accessible and more bountiful than it ever was in our history. Those on the outside looking in can blame pre-packaged and processed foods that have made their way to the islands. But as an islander and growing up there I can tell you, people eat LARGE quantities of local food. Believe it or not most of it would be your definition of organic, non-gmo, locally caught/raised food consisting of seafood and root/tuber vegetables.

After doing my own research on here and elsewhere, I'm more inclined to believe it's the quantity of the food that is causing all these diseases, not the type of food. This is why I'm skeptical of Paleo, or any other diet that comes along that requires you to cut out whole food groups. If it makes it easier for you to eat healthy and feel better then good for you. Coming on here and reading some of the arguments for it are not jivving with what I have observed growing up. My humble opinion, of course.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    im glad that the people base their diet off of a time when the average age of death was 30

they lived in a time when they didn't have proper shelter...or grocery stores to buy food..they had to hunt...and escape from bears and crap...and didn't have doctors. No **** they live short lives.

Ugh... and seriously... nobody believes they are REALLY eating like a caveman.

Look, the biggest naysayers of the Paleo diet are saying that our ancestors didn't really eat what we call "Paleo". Their diet was dependent on weather, geography, and that most of the foods that we consider Paleo, like super market sweet potatoes and apples didn't exist back then. But rarely do you see any criticism about the health benefits of eating Paleo. Mostly the criticism comes from academics that are in anthropology, archaeology (and similar fields of study) and are basically saying "NO NO NOPE, NO! That isn't what cavemen ate! " Great. We will just change the simple name of Paleo to "The additive free, preservative free, dairy free, grain free, gluten free, legume free, processed food free diet" Or we could just use the name Paleo. Dunno, maybe I am just being lazy and don't want to use a name that long.
  • ndj1979
    Options

they lived in a time when they didn't have proper shelter...or grocery stores to buy food..they had to hunt...and escape from bears and crap...and didn't have doctors. No **** they live short lives.

Look, the biggest naysayers of the Paleo diet are saying that our ancestors didn't really eat what we call "Paleo". Their diet was dependent on weather, geography, and that most of the foods that we consider Paleo, like super market sweet potatoes and apples didn't exist back then. But rarely do you see any criticism about the health benefits of eating Paleo. Mostly the criticism comes from academics that are in anthropology, archaeology (and similar fields of study) and are basically saying "NO NO NOPE, NO! That isn't what cavemen ate! " Great. We will just change the simple name of Paleo to "The additive free, preservative free, dairy free, grain free, gluten free, legume free, processed food free diet" Or we could just use the name Paleo. Dunno, maybe I am just being lazy and don't want to use a name that long.

< eats processed foods, grains, gluten, dairy, etc and is healthy with 13% body fat...

how about just changing to the "we say all these foods are bad" diet...
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    it's not about the body fa percentage, lmao.

have fun with the diseases when you're 50.
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    btw, aim for under 10%.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    it's not about the body fa percentage, lmao.

have fun with the diseases when you're 50.

right so all the non paleo people will be dead by 50 ...bahahahahahha..

It's attitudes like this that make people hate paleo followers...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    btw, aim for under 10%.

why, will it bring me closer to my paleo, cavemen, cousins?
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    btw, aim for under 10%.

I didn't say you'd be dead..I said you'd have diseases or some other heart problem or illness that otherwise could be avoided by not eating ****.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    btw, aim for under 10%.

I didn't say you'd be dead..I said you'd have diseases or some other heart problem or illness that otherwise could be avoided by not eating ****.
    Greek gods ate tons of bread
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

< eats processed foods, grains, gluten, dairy, etc and is healthy with 13% body fat...

Please tell me where in my original post that I said any foods are "bad". I didn't. What I DID say is that one could start by replacing pasta with vegetables. I didn't say pasta was bad. In my personal experience, when you remove some of the quick/easy and less nutritious foods (for example pasta) from your plate, you open up room for things like vegetables and healthy fats...etc.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Used to be called the caveman diet. overmarketed as paleo.

There is alot of truth to the effectiveness of the paleo diet but most of the people who advocate it are simply annoying and uneducated to the real reason why it works.

People simply say "it works" without evaluating the diet.

This ranges from HCG diet to the old world bodybuilding diet to this diet.
    Why are people able to lose weight? Why is it so effective when they dont even count calories?

Paleo food choices have the highest satiation(on average) over any processed foods. I was told they advocate coconut oil which is an MCT which actually has 7calories and a higher TEF and mobilizaition than normal fat.

fiber is an anti-nutrient absorbing macro which will reduce the total number of calories, help gi distress etc.

proper phytochemicals and adequate micronutrients from a variety of foods if they go something similar to a raw vegan

Higher water content with fiber less sugar results in a higher satiety foods according to correlation in the satiation study index.

the other side

They go against lactose even though people can product lactase
    People are against gluten even if they have no sign of gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
    They base some of their diet choices off of people with medical issues and apply it to healthy people

However they do not advocate their diet in the same way that I did. I do not doubt that their food choices are best for optimal weight loss (mentally). Obviously in the end it is always based off of laws of thermodynamics(physically)
    but there will always be multiple aspects to weight loss. IFFYM covers heavily on physical aspects, paleo covers alot on the mental aspect.

As annoying as they are, if someone asked me to follow any fad diet(restriction based) for overall health, I will have to pick the paleo
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Epigenetics. Also, New Scientist has explained why from that scientific perspective, paleo is nonsense... http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21929311.200-health-myths-we-should-live-and-eat-like-cavemen.html Here's another from Scientific American. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat

END OF QUOTE

This. Seconded. I don't eat paleo, not attacking paleo, just challenging the statement that our body can't make adaptations very quickly. Look, sure our DNA is essentially identical to our ancestors. It's almost identical to a monkeys. In fact the DNA in every cell of my body is identical (barring mutations of course) and yet I have lungs, a heart, kidneys, skin, etc., and there are fundamental differences in those organs. Epigenetics-it's a huge part in what turns genes on and off, what allows certain proteins to be made. Just because our DNA is the same doesn't mean it is expressed the same way. Epigenetics is also being studied/shown to be a way in which rapid evolutionary changes may take place in as quickly as one generation-usually in response to environmental factors. I imagine changes in diet might apply here.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Please tell me where in my original post that I said any foods are "bad". I didn't. What I DID say is that one could start by replacing pasta with vegetables. I didn't say pasta was bad. In my personal experience, when you remove some of the quick/easy and less nutritious foods (for example pasta) from your plate, you open up room for things like vegetables and healthy fats...etc.

I was not replying to you ...but thanks for checking in :)

I was replying to the other person that said "We will just change the simple name of Paleo to "The additive free, preservative free, dairy free, grain free, gluten free, legume free, processed food free diet"

why is whole wheat pasta not nutritious?