My legs wont grow...

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yeah I said it. What's the big deal about skinny legs?! Just because you see someone else with it, doesn't mean you can achieve it too. But then again, I forgot people are shallow and can't help but want 'perfection'. That's why everyone wants to appear perfect to make up for all the other insecurities we can't see. It's why implants and botox were invented; to make lips, butts, and who knows what else bigger because they want what someone else has.

There's no big deal about having skinny legs, if that's what you want. But this is a thread about a guy wanting to add mass to his legs and asking for advice on how to change things up in order to achieve that.

I don't think wearing pants will satisfy him.

Also, you can't even be bothered to put a photo up, so don't hate on a guy putting his credentials up. At least he is offering some advice to the OP from his professional and personal experience. What are you offering?

Oh, that's right: nothing.

Now I'm starting to miss numbered list guy calling us all stupid....
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    been said....

change volume and intensity...

you could also continue 5X5s for upper and just change your lower body training a bit..
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say that everyone can't have perfect bodies no matter how much they work out. After all the lifting and protein eating, if you aren't gaining in your legs, then you probably never will. I say you should just get used to your legs and learn to work with what you got. We all have imperfections that can't be fixed, luckily, you can cover yours up if you want to.
    Cop out for those who aren't willing to work hard enough for gains or is complacent. Increasing knowledge does make a difference. The OP's current regimen is for strength and not sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. He's gotten suggestions that are correct to achieve it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is not from a person who is a cop out. This is because everyone is always looking for perfection when the truth is nobody is perfect. If we learn to live with the flaws we have, we wouldn't be so obsessive on the things we weren't born with. The OP is doing all these exercises for bigger legs, when most of us are trying to slim our legs. So what he has chicken legs. He can just wear pants, which most men do all the time anyway unless he lives in LA or Miami. Some people can't hide their imperfections as simply as you can with skinny legs, so they spend millions of dollars on cosmetic surgery trying to be perfect. All I'm saying is God gave some of us bodies where we don't have to work excessively to get and those that don't have them may never have them, even with all the exercise in the world. AND just because you put a lot of letters on your post behind your name does not make you are an expert on bodies and how they are shaped. Just sayin'

And people say I'm unhelpful. Just wear pants and accept your skinny legs because somethingsomething it'll never happen!

Sheesh
    Yeah I said it. What's the big deal about skinny legs?! Just because you see someone else with it, doesn't mean you can achieve it too. But then again, I forgot people are shallow and can't help but want 'perfection'. That's why everyone wants to appear perfect to make up for all the other insecurities we can't see. It's why implants and botox were invented; to make lips, butts, and who knows what else bigger because they want what someone else has.

So, have you given up on "getting sexy"? Whatcha wearing?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say that everyone can't have perfect bodies no matter how much they work out. After all the lifting and protein eating, if you aren't gaining in your legs, then you probably never will. I say you should just get used to your legs and learn to work with what you got. We all have imperfections that can't be fixed, luckily, you can cover yours up if you want to.
    Cop out for those who aren't willing to work hard enough for gains or is complacent. Increasing knowledge does make a difference. The OP's current regimen is for strength and not sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. He's gotten suggestions that are correct to achieve it.

IDEA Fitness member

This is not from a person who is a cop out. This is because everyone is always looking for perfection when the truth is nobody is perfect. If we learn to live with the flaws we have, we wouldn't be so obsessive on the things we weren't born with. The OP is doing all these exercises for bigger legs, when most of us are trying to slim our legs. So what he has chicken legs. He can just wear pants, which most men do all the time anyway unless he lives in LA or Miami. Some people can't hide their imperfections as simply as you can with skinny legs, so they spend millions of dollars on cosmetic surgery trying to be perfect. All I'm saying is God gave some of us bodies where we don't have to work excessively to get and those that don't have them may never have them, even with all the exercise in the world. AND just because you put a lot of letters on your post behind your name does not make you are an expert on bodies and how they are shaped. Just sayin'
    So what expertise do you have on physiology and sports science?

Hypertrophy is a process you CAN induce given the right parameters. That is a fact. Nobody has to settle for less than they desire. Your genetics can affect how long it takes to get to where you want, but reaching genetic potential is a journey of many, many years so I very much doubt at 25 he has no prospect of further muscle development.

And for what it's worth, I'm sure there's a looooot of people here who aren't trying to slim their legs at all.

I'm just as much as an expert as anyone else on this site giving the OP advice. You have your opinion and I have mine. He can listen to a bunch of so-called experts tell him what he's not doing right to bulk up his legs or he can LET IT GO, it's JUST LEGS that won't bulk up, probably cuz they never will, especially since he's been doing all the exercise routines in the world and they still aren't the way he wants them to be.
    What's the difference between myofibril and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

There are certain aspects we can't change.............our height, our eye color (unless artificially), our genetics, etc., but muscle CAN be added if done correctly. The OP's approach to it is incorrect. That's why the results aren't as good as his upper body. It's not about being "perfect" for the OP but being more symmetrical which is possible since his options aren't exhausted.
    Whether you believe I'm an expert in muscle hypertrophy and fitness doesn't matter to me. My credentials are legit to many on here (as well as my clientele base) and have many emails of thanks for steering them the right direction.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You're obviously a person who accepts mediocrity. Nothing wrong with that if that's your thing. But for those who want to strive for more......................don't bother raining in on their parade.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm just as much as an expert as anyone else on this site giving the OP advice. You have your opinion and I have mine. He can listen to a bunch of so-called experts tell him what he's not doing right to bulk up his legs or he can LET IT GO, it's JUST LEGS that won't bulk up, probably cuz they never will, especially since he's been doing all the exercise routines in the world and they still aren't the way he wants them to be.
    Opinion don't trump science. The OP hasn't tried ALL the exercise protocols. Just one 5x5. Unfortunately that's not the correct program to increase muscle SIZE. Being an "expert", you should have known that.:wink:
    Think about it: Does the OP want to read advice on "YOU CAN" or advice on "YOU CAN'T". Nuff said.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Hypertrophy is a process you CAN induce given the right parameters. That is a fact. Nobody has to settle for less than they desire. Your genetics can affect how long it takes to get to where you want, but reaching genetic potential is a journey of many, many years so I very much doubt at 25 he has no prospect of further muscle development.

And for what it's worth, I'm sure there's a looooot of people here who aren't trying to slim their legs at all.

What's the difference between myofibril and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy?
    She needs a day or so to google-fu to be an "expert" on it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would like to add considering this was the very subject i had to face a number of months ago. 15 years as a powerlifter, combined with being a certified personal trainer. Canadian Special Olympics coach. Trained with one of the strongest people in the world at his time. (Greg Ernst) and the fact I have 25 years of total experience overall. No, doesn't make me an expert but it does give me some life experience to pass along.

I first approached greg as a total stranger, just gave him a call and the next thing i knew it, was training with him. I was 192lbs and my goal was to make it over 200+. I never even thought about training legs, hell i just trained arms mostly. This man helped me build my legs into tree trunks. No deadlifts. Honestly i only thought that was a strong man lift at the time. I trained 1 time every 5 to 7 days. Yes thats what i said. The workout was a full body and it was about 2.5- 3hrs of living hell. Made me wear a dough skin jacket really heavy. Did Bench press, Squats, 20 rep 1 set, of course warm up sets to get the weight up to the main set. (bench squats) Low cable rows, with around 200lbs worked up to 350 by the end. Hamstring curls with skates to hold the bar. Over head press, shoulder press and a few other exercises in there that have failed my memory. Most importantly he introduced raw cows milk into my diet. A lot of it, 1 gallon a day to be exact.12 weeks later i weighed in around 255lbs. Yes tons of fat in the process. Strong as an ox. My squat was up to 505lbs for 20 reps. People thought i was on the juice. My legs were now close to 30 inches from 19". I have really good genetics to grow muscle, very high T count. The point is, I tried something new and didn't accept my legs would never grow. I put my faith in someone elses hands. Now many years later after my injury that left me with PF. I was as close to a wheelchair as you could get. 9 months ago i came back to the gym after almost 5 years with legs around 19" inches again. The difference this time was, i couldn't plant my heels on the floor with squats. I can't grow my legs? Screw it, decided as long as i can get them stronger to keep me from ending up in a wheelchair. Trained 1 time a week, sometimes had to skip a week because they had not recovered and decided to hit them best i could. No 20 rep squats this time just trained with 4 sets, very low weight compared to what i was use to and hoped for the best.
    IMG_0148_zps75ef973a.jpg
    Far from what they were, but I had the desire to create the best I could with what i had.
    You have to ask yourself before you ask others... Am i putting the effort i need to, to get results.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Really enjoyed reading the above :) I've taken a lot of advice from people on board, so thanks.

Also, if you're looking through my diary and thinking I'm not meeting my daily goals, you're wrong. I don't track everything I eat, I meet 2750 calories minimum daily. And for people telling me to increase the calories, I'm bulking slow and steady over the last few months and have been putting on extra lbs. I'm not exactly strarving myself.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have emphasized more the area of my post about nutritional intake. None of this matters if you're trying to deny the basic laws of thermodynamics. That's the most important part of the equation.

Yes people can grow while spending less time in the gym. However one still needs to work up to higher weights obviously not just going in the gym and going straight to heavy weight that would be sheer stupidity, My main point is that one can have a strength based approach to lifting and still put on size, while not necessarily having a "body buiding" approach of a million reps. One can concentrate on lower rep schemes such as triples, doubles, or singles, while doing multiple sets of these...with proper weight/intensity.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    TLDR.

Time to hop on a bike OP.

My two favorites...arrogance and ignorance.

The reason why noone knows shlt is because EVERYTHING is too long to read. Funny. I bet the people who like to write TLDR have never read an abstract, much less a whole study. More internet forum shlt. I wonder if any of the great doctors,phd's,scientist, elite trainers, and other wise great minds ever made a habit of writing TLDR. Such a great internet come back.

And again, the type of exercise you do will surely build your legs. Riding bikes will do it. Awesome dude! Everyone knows it's superior for sarcoplasm! Go ride a bike and eat improperly and watch your legs shrink while you adapt to the load.
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Most importantly he introduced raw cows milk into my diet. A lot of it, 1 gallon a day to be exact.12 weeks later i weighed in around 255lbs. Yes tons of fat in the process. Strong as an ox.

go to: http://oldschooltrainer.com/super-squats-how-to-gain-30-pounds-of-muscle-in-6-weeks-reloaded/

The old school lifters drank tons of milk every day. The site has a reloaded version with milk + whey protein at every meal.

The Super Squat Routine – The Original:

Press behind neck 3 x 12
    Squat 1 x 20 supersetted with Pullover 1 x 20
    Bench press 3 x 12
    Rowing 3 x 15
    Stiff legged deadlift 1 x 15
    Pullover 1 x 20
    (add a gallon of milk a day!)
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    Really enjoyed reading the above :) I've taken a lot of advice from people on board, so thanks.

Also, if you're looking through my diary and thinking I'm not meeting my daily goals, you're wrong. I don't track everything I eat, I meet 2750 calories minimum daily. And for people telling me to increase the calories, I'm bulking slow and steady over the last few months and have been putting on extra lbs. I'm not exactly strarving myself.

Are you measuring your legs? If you haven't looked into PROPER box squats you should. It can allow you to squat more often, again, if you need it. What does your leg programming/progression look like? and what weights are you using? You're obviously way past novice by looking at your pics. You might need to deload and come back doing more punishment or build more strength.
  • james6998
    Options
    I would also like to add 1 more very important tip.

When you work on any body part that is lagging behind you have to really stop and take a good look at why. Genetics? Improper form? Wrong exercises? Not enough reps, Too many reps, on and on and on. Before anything i would stress.
    FORM. Many great lifters, bodybuilders, strongmen, all can agree. Start with a good form and the rest will follow, diet aside of course. Weight means nothing if you are lifting it with the wrong muscles. If you are squatting with too much weight that your quads are taking over for your hamstrings. Knees pushing past your feet. Back rounding out. You can also use the muscles themselves. If i want bigger arms, hell i know the triceps are the way to go 3/4 of overall arm size. Hamstrings are a good slab of meat, I do a good amount of stiff legged deadlifts. I have some good buddies of mine that dont squat at all, leg press (45degree). Its all about the form, just dont wimp out of the weight because its easy hehe.
  • james6998
    Options
    Most importantly he introduced raw cows milk into my diet. A lot of it, 1 gallon a day to be exact.12 weeks later i weighed in around 255lbs. Yes tons of fat in the process. Strong as an ox.

go to: http://oldschooltrainer.com/super-squats-how-to-gain-30-pounds-of-muscle-in-6-weeks-reloaded/

The old school lifters drank tons of milk every day. The site has a reloaded version with milk + whey protein at every meal.

The Super Squat Routine – The Original:

Press behind neck 3 x 12
    Squat 1 x 20 supersetted with Pullover 1 x 20
    Bench press 3 x 12
    Rowing 3 x 15
    Stiff legged deadlift 1 x 15
    Pullover 1 x 20
    (add a gallon of milk a day!)
    Omg it was like going back in time that was awesome ty for that.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    She needs a day or so to google-fu to be an "expert" on it.

nice Breaking Bad reference there
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    TLDR.

The reason why noone knows shlt is because EVERYTHING is too long to read. Funny. I bet the people who like to write TLDR have never read an abstract, much less a whole study. More internet forum shlt. I wonder if any of the great doctors,phd's,scientist, elite trainers, and other wise great minds ever made a habit of writing TLDR. Such a great internet come back.

And again, the type of exercise you do will surely build your legs. Riding bikes will do it. Awesome dude! Everyone knows it's superior for sarcoplasm! Go ride a bike and eat improperly and watch your legs shrink while you adapt to the load.

1) taking the internet too seriously 2) did not mean a literal bike.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    TLDR.

1) taking the internet too seriously 2) did not mean a literal bike.

foerstemann-ciclismo1.jpg

Do you even "cycle"?
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This is some of the most horrible advice I've ever seen. Why are you even here? From your ticker, you're trying to lose weight. Why aren't you just happy with being fat? You'll probably never lose the weight, and if you do you'll probably fail at keeping it off. So why bother trying? You can always just wear maternity clothing to cover up your flab.

(See how stupid that sounds?)

I am losing weight by the week, thank you very much. Just because my ticker hasn't been updated doesn't mean I'm not losing. weight. I've lost over 40lbs. and not according to what my ticker says. Therefore, you can't believe everything thing you read. So what I gave advice on a website full of people who's asking for advice. Just because no one wants to hear the truth, then that makes my advice bad. I'm just keeping it REAL!!!