Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• BrandNewAmy
    BrandNewAmy Posts: 38 Member
    SOOOOO impressed with all of the before/after (or then/now?) pics. Question for you all...how did you get started? Did you get a personal trainer, did you follow a program? I'd love to get started but not sure where to begin!!
  • luna323
    luna323 Posts: 25 Member
    wow this post is so inspirational!! the changes are amazing!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    @brandnewamy I found barbell routines online. Something like strong lifts 5x5, all pro, new rules of lifting for women. Then, I watched YouTube videos of barbell movements. I used my phone to record myself doing the movements with just the bar for awhile to review later and check form.

I, personally, lucked out. My brother in law moved and couldn't keep his bench press and weights, so it went to my garage. I've lifted alone since I started.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    I've been lifting for over a year now. Started June 2013 after my 6 week postpartum check up after having my second baby. Erm, started out at 170 lbs at 5'3.5".

2mh7v9y.jpg
    246syh2.jpg

2ir156q.jpg
    an0jma.jpg
    5y6ro7.jpg
    2jaj4tf.jpg
    For those afraid to be all bulky and things lol:
    2lcnuc6.jpg
    2ppkevc.jpg
    2zoyx7d.jpg
    I ended at 115 lbs before I started bulking in mid February. I've only gained 6 lbs but this made me super happy

21l5o2g.jpg

Sorry for the spam D: this has truly been the best thing I have done fitness-wise in my entire life. Weightlifting means the world to me. I feel like a badass and I hope to do it forever. I've learned and have grown so much from patience under the barbell.

Love all you lifting ladies! Keep being incredible. And for those scared to start, don't be just do it! :D

Outstanding transformation!!!! You look amazing and I don't get to say this to too many women but....great forearms :)
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Bump to follow!
  • BrandNewAmy
    @bombshellphoenix - Excellent! Thanks for the info! I'll check that out. A little nervous to get started (I'm in my 40s) but I really need to do something. Diet alone just isn't cutting it!! Appreciate the advice!!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    bump
  • BombshellPhoenix
    @cad39too. :D thank you! Your abs are freaking incredible! :love: one of my goals is a visible six pack...some day!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    @bombshellphoenix - Excellent! Thanks for the info! I'll check that out. A little nervous to get started (I'm in my 40s) but I really need to do something. Diet alone just isn't cutting it!! Appreciate the advice!!

No problem at all! Here's my original inspiration when I joined the forums

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/sarauk2sf/status
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

The greatest thing about weightlifting for me was the change in body composition. The scale is still a gauge I use loosely to ensure I'm gaining at a decent pace or when I go back to cutting, that I'm not losing too quickly but it truly makes a difference to maintain muscle mass and later gain to be lean. You've got this!
  • BrandNewAmy
    Thanks!!
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    In for more awesomeness!
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

The greatest thing about weightlifting for me was the change in body composition. The scale is still a gauge I use loosely to ensure I'm gaining at a decent pace or when I go back to cutting, that I'm not losing too quickly but it truly makes a difference to maintain muscle mass and later gain to be lean. You've got this!

You really changed that much in just 4 weeks? That is incredible. Would you share your training plan? Oops my bad, didn't see the 1 so 41 weeks, still amazing!
  • BombshellPhoenix

You really changed that much in just 4 weeks? That is incredible. Would you share your training plan? Oops my bad, didn't see the 1 so 41 weeks, still amazing!

Thank you! Yep 9 months of losing and lifting :D

Honestly, I squandered the quite a few months trying to make up my own program (was not smart) I didn't see decent progress until I got set up on All Pro. It's on bodybuilding.com for free. There's also strong lifts 5x5 and new rules of lifting for women that I've heard are great to start with. I lift 3x a week for about an hour. Best thing I can recommend is full body movements with free weights. I used youtube to look up form videos, then took video with my camera of me doing the movements with just the bar until I was comfortable with it before I started adding weights.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Awesome! Thanks :)
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member

Bump to follow up. Thanks for sharing everyone! Very inspiring and encouraging!!
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    @BombshellPhoe - you look great :) Congratulations on your progress. Aaaaaand on your 666th post. lol
  • BombshellPhoenix
    @BombshellPhoe - you look great :) Congratulations on your progress. Aaaaaand on your 666th post. lol

Haha, nice catch! xD Thank you so much♡
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    @Bombshell: You are built like a comic book character. Amazing!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    @Bombshell: You are built like a comic book character. Amazing!

Aww, well that's an NSV in itself! Thank you. Dark Phoenix is a dream cosplay of mine, on a random note xD
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Bump to follow! Love this thread every time.