Rude and Unsupportive Posts.

Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

your mind reading skills are not as adept as you believe them to be.

Fair enough.

I think your post didn't do anything to help people who lack knowledge. In fact, it probably made them feel less likely to post and discuss their viewpoints without judgment .

If you have knowledge I also believe you have a responsibility to use it wisely.
  • jypsyjulia
    jypsyjulia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like you were probably being rude and unsupportive to those who were pursuing juice cleanses or detoxes. You can say that they're not grounded in science, but science differs from country to country. When I lived in Poland, I discovered that detoxing is very popular there. There was a lot of science to support it. And yet in the States there is heaps of science saying that we shouldn't detox? Who's right?

*shrugs*

Moral of this post? Do what feels right to you. If a 3 day cleanse is something you think will help, do it. (I don't think I'd recommend anything longer, but it's been done).

You need to respect other people's decisions and, in turn, they will respect your point of view. But if you come at them as an attack - which this entire thread feels very aggressive - then you're going to be attacked in turn.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    folks aren't looking for "advice", they're looking for validation - best course of action is to stay out of the conversation, *.

That sounds like a really good song lyric/rap lyric.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to know someone else's opinion, then don't ask for it on a public forum.

Simple as that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can say that they're not grounded in science, but science differs from country to country.
    :huh:
  • jypsyjulia
    Options
    folks aren't looking for "advice", they're looking for validation - best course of action is to stay out of the conversation, *.

That sounds like a really good song lyric/rap lyric.

Oh my gosh, it does! Haha.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    You can say that they're not grounded in science, but science differs from country to country.

You got to it before I did... :smile:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i hate to have to explain the point of the OP, especially for those who haven't bothered to read it, but here goes...

this site is full of people with derpy ideas who post about them in the forums. many of these derpy ideas bring out a legion of members who post against them. some may do it to be snarky, but most are doing it because bad information left uncorrected can lead many people astray.

inevitably, this leads to the people posting these derpy ideas to complain that this site is not supportive simply because they have not been met with universal support for their ideas. but why do they think they deserve support for those ideas and that the people arguing against them don't? if this site was nothing but people providing uncritical support for EVERYTHING that is posted, then how valuable would any of that be?

if you tell me that a juice cleanse cures cancer, i'm going to say "no it doesn't". if you then complain that i'm not supporting you, then i should have the right to direct the same criticism back at you, shouldn't i? that's the point of this thread. if i disagree with you (and it's usually your argument, not you as a person), then you should understand that's an inherent hazard of discussions online and in real life, you can't then demand that my opinion by squashed on the grounds that "i'm not being supportive". because i'll turn around and use that exact same argument on you.

and that's why people complaining about not getting support just because they are not being agreed with are misunderstanding what support means.
  • jypsyjulia
    Options

It really does. Or rather, I should say that the viewpoint of scientists differ from country to country? Either way, there's heaps of contradictory evidence in ... almost everything.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Do what works for YOU, period! No debate needed.
    So what if what works for you turns out to be extremely dangerous, and your "supportive" friends knew this and supported you anyway? Then next thing you know you are getting dialasis every day? Extreme, yes I know that. But would those friends still be considered supportive? Or would it open your eyes that they really aren't supportive, just naive? That the real support was coming from those who were on the forums trying to warn you and point you in the right direction?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've never said anything rude to you when you've posted concern for someone doing something truly harmful. Just sayin.

when folks mock posters for not doing exactly what they are doing and what they KNOW without a doubt (at least today, at least for them) is the right thing for all, I'll chime in.

There are many paths up the mountain. And rude is demanding there is but one.

finally: if folks sounded the alarm at the truly alarming posts and let the others who've chosen a path try that path, it would be better. Think: low carb. Every time someone asks how to start low carb, the first 5 replies are why would you do low carb, here's a donut.

(I'm not low carb)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It really does. Or rather, I should say that the viewpoint of scientists differ from country to country? Either way, there's heaps of contradictory evidence in ... almost everything.
    No.

You don't understand the scientfic community.

At all.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    And off it goes...anyone that tries to help the OP and disagrees is totes a bully, and mean...

If you know that going in, and do it anyway, it is a kind of bullying.
  • jypsyjulia
    Options

No.

You don't understand the scientfic community.

At all.

Except I do. Thanks for being so dismissive, though!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Do what works for YOU, period! No debate needed.

What if what works for you is dangerous?

Should we take an evolution mentality and just say.. hey, if someone wants to hurt themselves, then let them. Only the strong survive?
    You know, sometimes I think that might be for the best! lol

Some of the OPs of those threads actually change their minds, though, after people post the science and logic stuff. So it's still worth it in the end.
    Yes! It's awesome when that happens! And it's not just the OP, there are plenty of new people who do not participate in the forums and use the search function to get answers to their questions. When they see something shot down, (politely or harshly), they may reconsider it and that's a big win.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

That is why you read all the material given and then make logical choices based on your final evaluations of the studies.
  • jypsyjulia
    Options

That is why you read all the material given and then make logical choices based on your final evaluations of the studies.

Totally agree! :) The only issue is that what is logical for one person won't be logical for another. The family I lived with in Poland did this cleanse where they stuck something up their butt and literally flushed out their system. I was slightly horrified, haha. She had all of these articles about how it was healthy, but I couldn't jump on the bandwagon. In a way, all of science will always have a bit of subjectivity to it. She also did a cleanse where you don't eat for 5 days and then you only eat soup for the next 5 days and this was a very popular detox method - even my doctor there recommended it, haha.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    i hate to have to explain the point of the OP, especially for those who haven't bothered to read it, but here goes...

this site is full of people with derpy ideas who post about them in the forums. many of these derpy ideas bring out a legion of members who post against them. some may do it to be snarky, but most are doing it because bad information left uncorrected can lead many people astray.

inevitably, this leads to the people posting these derpy ideas to complain that this site is not supportive simply because they have not been met with universal support for their ideas. but why do they think they deserve support for those ideas and that the people arguing against them don't? if this site was nothing but people providing uncritical support for EVERYTHING that is posted, then how valuable would any of that be?

if you tell me that a juice cleanse cures cancer, i'm going to say "no it doesn't". if you then complain that i'm not supporting you, then i should have the right to direct the same criticism back at you, shouldn't i? that's the point of this thread. if i disagree with you (and it's usually your argument, not you as a person), then you should understand that's an inherent hazard of discussions online and in real life, you can't then demand that my opinion by squashed on the grounds that "i'm not being supportive". because i'll turn around and use that exact same argument on you.

and that's why people complaining about not getting support just because they are not being agreed with are misunderstanding what support means.

Well, that was a masterclass in how to win friends and influence people. Pffft, those people with their derpy ideas. How silly they are and lacking in critical thinking abilities. If only they could be like the great and the good of MFP.

Essentially, as far as I can see, your OP was one big whine about people not taking your advice.

Well, I am off for a ride.

Take care.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    everyone has their own way of weight loss, and you may not agree, and no they may not be presenting true facts but they aren't going to quit posting about what they feel is right, neither are you so, why not be an adult agree to disagree or just not read their posts!! Problem solved
This discussion has been closed.