Push gift

Options
patrickblo13
patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
Ok, my wife is due any day with our first child. I was just told this week I need to get her a push gift, this was news to me. I have asked several people and have been given mixed answers so I am asking the masses on MFP:

Do I get my wife a push gift for our first child? If so, something small or an elaborate gift?!?

Replies

• Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I didn't get one but..well we won't go into it. You could/should it's a ton of work to push something out and it hurts like hell. However, it doesn't need to be crazy. you could get her a bracelet or necklace that is symbolic of you guys, to hsow how much it means to you. But you also don't have to. Or make it a joke gift when she gets home. Have fun
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was bron I was happy with the flowers that her dad sent me. He was an awesome support through labor and delivery and that was enough for me. In all honesty I hadn't heard of a push gift until my 2nd was born. I don't think they have to be elaborate, but it would have been cool to have a charm bracelet or something like that that could be added to with each child. Maybe something with birthstones of you and your wife and baby?
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    a push gift? really? Didn't you already give her a push gift when said child was conceived?
  • patrickblo13
    Options
    a push gift? really? Didn't you already give her a push gift when said child was conceived?

That was my reaction but apparently some exceptional men out there have tried to out show the rest of us
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have 4 and I didn't get any push gifts from my husband :smile: I think it's just become this thing that you're supposed to do? I don't necessarily agree with the idea, but like a pp said, a nice bracelet or pair of earrings might be nice.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I didn't get one either time, I did just have a baby 10 weeks ago, maybe he's just hasn't given it to me yet....

But seriously, most women I know either got something with the child's birthstone or a new purse or gadget.

Birthstone would probably be the best gift, maybe a necklace to add more if you have more children in the future.
  • momtobay
    Options
    I think a gift certificate for a mini spa day is a great idea. My spouse has gotten me a few when life is hectic and its a great feeling knowing that you get to take a couple hours out of your day to be alone and get pampered. And a new mom needs that little attention.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I got nothing but what I pushed out.

My sister got diamond earrings. :explode:
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 kids and I never got a push gift. I would never expect to get a push gift. You're spending enough money for that little bundle of joy's stay in the hospital why put yourself further in debt by purchasing a gift for it?
  • MacMomma2013
    MacMomma2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I received no push presents from my hubby (except the actual child that I delivered).
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Ok, my wife is do any day with our first child. I was just told this week I need to get her a push gift, this was news to me. I have asked several people and have been given mixed answers so I am asking the masses on MFP:

Do I get my wife a push gift for our first child? If so, something small or an elaborate gift?!?

I literally saw a woman driving a Volvo XC90 and the license plate read: "Push Gift". You've got your hands full.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    http://www.askmen.com/dating/curtsmith_500/582_push-present.html

"A push present (also known as a "push gift" or "baby bauble") is a gift given to a new mom when she gives birth. It can be given before or after the birth, in the delivery room or at home. The push gift has become a standard practice in the United States. The reason is twofold: Rich celebrities do it, and it gets talked about in magazines and on the internet, so naturally we common folk have to follow suit. The other reason is that Americans are greedy and dumb.

Sure, pregnancy is no picnic, and childbirth is a joyous form of torture, but none of that warrants an expensive gift from husband to wife. Not everything in this world requires a material reward for a job well done. Men should never give a push gift"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    A push gift for me would be me pushing him out of bed to get the crying baby at night.... just saying.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've given birth to 4 kidos. No push gift here.. Sounds like an uppity hoity snotty thing to ask for really. A healthy child and mom, best "push" gift ever.. Geezzz...
  • yourlittleloretta
    Options
    A push gift? Really? I didn't get one and didn't expect one either. I guess it's a sweet idea though. I was content with the support he showed me and the "props" I got after it was all said and done. He couldn't stop telling me how impressed he was with how I handled it all. That meant a lot to me. If you do decide to get her a gift, I'd definitely go with something like the others have mentioned...something with the baby's birthstone. Good luck with the little one!
  • patrickblo13
    Options
    Let me clarify too, my wife wasn't the one that brought this up. It was a co-worker.

Given the responses so far I think people are siding with me
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    With my third child I was asked what I received for the push gift. I thought wtf is that, all I got was a tortured vag and a nice hospital bill to go along with it.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yeesh. Women sure love getting congratulated for stuff that should just be part of normal life. Focus on the kid you just had. Not petty materialism.