Push gift

Options

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Just be a good husband and father. What an awesome gift!

Honestly, I think this is a ridiculous concept. My push gift was a daughter.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I didn't even get flowers when I had my kids. I don't think I would have even noticed if I got a push gift or anything else because the only thing that had my attention was that beautiful baby. It's a sweet idea but I don't think it's necessary. I'd rather have a back or foot rub when I got out of the hospital
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yep. I got one for each kid.

Priorities changed as did the gift from kid 1 to kid 2 and it wasn't anything that put us in debt.

They were both something I'd have gotten anyway, but now we have fun stories to go along with the items.

If money isn't an issue, you can get her something nice but if it is, then just take everyone else's advice here and just be a good hubby/dad. The birth is only the start of the hard stuff.

Good luck and congrats.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    My wife told me about the idea of a push gift, because I had never heard of it before....I am a pretty clueless and at the time I was against it. Then I thought about it. In the end I decided that if it was going to make her feel special at that time then I would get her one. I got her a ruby (birthstone of our son) pendant on a small necklace. It really wasn't expensive and she really liked it.

Wait until I spring it on her that I am going to reshingle the roof next spring and I expect a "roofing gift".....LOL
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    oh great now I know of another thing to be dissapointed about when i deliver.

I'd get her a lovely piece of jewelry or just a really sweet well thought out hand written card.

A hand written card is a really sweet idea! It would be cool to have a little memento that shows how much you appreciate everything she did to carry the baby and deliver him/her. It's not an easy task, and sometimes acknowledgment that you still think your woman is beautiful and strong is enough.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    oh great now I know of another thing to be dissapointed about when i deliver.

I'd get her a lovely piece of jewelry or just a really sweet well thought out hand written card.

A hand written card is a really sweet idea! It would be cool to have a little memento that shows how much you appreciate everything she did to carry the baby and deliver him/her. It's not an easy task, and sometimes acknowledgment that you still think your woman is beautiful and strong is enough.

My first thought was sarcasm, but as I was thinking more on it this would all I'd really want just something expressing our love, happiness over the baby, and just his feelings. That would mean more to me than anything.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I don't think gifts should be given because you are "supposed to". Give it to her if you think it would make her happy. Just some flowers, or chocolates etc. I did not get anything and i have no complaints. My hubby took care of the baby the entire time i recovered, even now he stays up many times to take care of her. I would give up all my gifts just for that :heart:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Wait and see if the baby looks like you.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i never heard of this, but it doesn't surprise me. over the years, we've made up plenty of days/reasons to give/receive gifts. Some more valid than others, in my opinion...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this custom.

LOL!

If she asked for a gift, though, you better get her something...

Labor could get ugly if you don't. :laugh:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I gave birth four times. I got no gifts. Ever.

I feel bitter now

Thanks OP, thanks a lot.

*seriously: I really just appreciated my husband not passing out and going later to pick the outfit our kids would have their hospital photo taken in and then come home in. I thought that was way better than any of the flowers and stuff I got*

Congrats and good luck :flowerforyou:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    A push gift for me would be me pushing him out of bed to get the crying baby at night.... just saying.

^^THIS. I'm not a jewelry person (never even had my ears pierced), but others are into earrings etc. More importantly, let her nap on your days off from work. Let her sleep through the night when you aren't working the next day.

When friends/family offer to do something to help, take them up on it and give them this list: Stock the fridge/freezer with heat and eat meals. Clean the kitchen, clean the bathrooms, change the sheets, mow the lawn. Do a load or two of laundry.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Now that the idea of a Push Present has been brought to your attention, why wouldnt you gift her something? Whether it be her favorite snack & a card or jewelry or flowers...

Most Men are oblivious to things like push presents therefore they are let off the hook, so to speak.....but you know about it so why not do something out of the ordinary for her?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Now that the idea of a Push Present has been brought to your attention, why wouldnt you gift her something? Whether it be her favorite snack & a card or jewelry or flowers...

Most Men are oblivious to things like push presents therefore they are let off the hook, so to speak.....but you know about it so why not do something out of the ordinary for her?

Well .. I'd want her to do something out of the ordinary for me first ....

The only way I'd give an emphatic "no" to this idea is if she informed me that she *expected* one ....
  • katztwins
    Options
    I got one for the birth of twin girls years ago in my defense it was also our 5th wedding anniversary and I had been through hell to conceive. It was a wedding band I always wanted and I wear it daily.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've seen men bring their wives flowers when the baby is born (not mine, but others).

Is this considered a "push" gift?
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    a push gift? really? Didn't you already give her a push gift when said child was conceived?

Bwhahahaha, best answer ever.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the term push gift. My husband did get me a wonderful mothers gold necklace with four engraved gold medallions on it (one for each kid) after the birth of our son. But he was number four and our last. I got flowers with all the other kids.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    A “push gift”? Da *kitten*?!?!…all I got both times were: an incredibly painful vagina (and a special thank you on that the 2nd time around to my 9lb 6.5oz son with his 13” cranium and broad shoulder that got stuck and required 2 nurses pushing on my abdomen to get it out), a pair of mesh underwear, a maxi pad that went from my nose to the back of my head and was approximately a foot thick, and Tucks medicated pads. Ok…so the medicated pads did become my new best friend for a week or so.

Oh wait, does McDonald’s count?
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I just heard about this last week for the first time...I've had two and didn't get anything, nor did I think to ask for anything. Anywho, a soldier hhere I work asked me to make a week's worth of meals for his wife as a "push gift"...breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for 7 days post partum is a pretty awesome gift...especially when prepared by moi! :wink: