Do you leash your kid?

Options

Replies

• cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This topic has already been discussed on here and it did not go well.

Some children don't hold hands well and slip out of their parents grip and if it came down to putting your kids in a backpack leash or them dying by running in front of a car or getting stolen, I would go with the leash.

How about you not judge other parents?
    This! Live your own life instead examaning others through a microscope.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    This topic has already been discussed on here and it did not go well.

Some children don't hold hands well and slip out of their parents grip and if it came down to putting your kids in a backpack leash or them dying by running in front of a car or getting stolen, I would go with the leash.

How about you not judge other parents?

My friend uses the backpack leash, because outtings are more enjoyable for both her and the kids. Kaylee feels like she has more freedom, and her mom has a hand free to carry their son (she ties her part through her pants belt loop).

At first I thought it was a little strange, but it certainly made our forays to the farmers' markets less of a headache, as Kaylee was better behaved given a little freedom.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yup- I have used one. Depends on where I am. If in a crowded place then yes. If walking around the block then I don't feel it is needed. At my older daughter's basketball game- yes. I want to be able to keep the little one off the court and safe and give me the ability to cheer on my oldest yet still keep a close eye on my youngest.

Why does anyone care? I just don't understand. It is not putting a child at risk by using one- in fact it can keep them safer.
    Plus it is a cute puppy dog backpack and the tail wraps around my waist. She loves it. She will ask for it to be on her at home so I just detach the tail and she walks around the house with her backpack.
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't like them but I only have one child. If I learned anything about being a parent, I learned never to never. That being said, I do not envy my mom who had 6 of us in a small time frame. I think it makes kids look like pets but whatever.

To people who always bring up judging: You are a liar if you say you don't judge.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    When you have two hands to hold onto at the same time, you damn well bet I leashed them (twins).

I have two children.. and two hands. I've never leashed my children and we have spent plenty of times in airports, zoos and even foreign countries.

Rather than leashing them I taught them when they needed to stay close, and disciplined them when they didn't.

Why do you care how other people raise their kids?
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had highly-active twins and was usually lone-parent. Our diaper bag was a school-type backpack. I had leashes in our car for an emergency or large unruly crowd situations because you just never know. Thankfully never had to use them. But you're darn right I was prepared to whip them out if needed. They fit harness-style, much like the backpack/diaper bag fit me. I was prepared to point out that we were ALL 3 OF US equally harnessed if anyone had an issue with it. I can't hold their hands if I'm also holding suticases, or tickets, or car keys, etc.

Here's something I've learned about judging other people's parenting - it's a giant cowpie. Parenting is such a mix of your temperment, your partner's temperment, your KIDS' temperment, your culture, your income, your house, etc etc etc. If you see someone struggling with a toddler or baby, give them a supportive look or even offer to help for a few minutes. Yeah, they'll probably turn you down, but they'll feel your support and that helps everyone involved.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Time and place, is all I can say. Not having any children of my own, I want to say that I wouldn't do it, but who knows... I remember being "leashed" as a kid when we went on family vacations. My mom was not lazy at all. She was paranoid that I'd wander off and a stranger would snatch me up...seriously. (I was probably the most cautious kid since she would tell me horror stories about kids being kidnapped at disneyland or being crushed to death by a television or having my head chopped off by a fence or tree if I put it out the window in the car. She wasn't trying to be cruel. She was actually paranoid that these things would happen...)
  • cparter
    Options
    Being the oldest child of 4 siblings and many, many cousins, I saw a lot of children grow up as I grew up.

Because I saw them grow up, I thought I knew everything what it took to be a parent and I developed a lot of "IFs" and didn't understand why parents would do such things and even thought a few were bad moms/dads.

Then I had my own...

From that moment on, I stopped judging other mothers/fathers.

1. I grew up and realized, it's not my place to judge. Live and let live.

2. I am the mother to my child, not everyone else's child. I do what I think is best for my daughter and I make the choices I believe would benefit her more. I believe 95% of all the other parents I come in contact with are doing the same thing. I may have different views and opinions than a lot of them, but I in no way think that automatically makes them a bad, weird, crazy, psychotic, or what ever other else you would want to call them. I do not care what some random person thinks I should do with my child. They don't know my child, I do.

If my daughter was a runner and I feared that she could be in danger of stepping out in front of a moving vehicle, you bet your sweet *kitten* I would put a leash/rein on her. I would rather random people I don't give two snots about judge and ridicule me then watch one of the most precious things in my life be harmed.
    This I like for certain. Wise beyond explanation for those who think they know it all without being in your situation.
  • Headingforhealthier
    Options
    I didn't need to be leashed, but my brother sure should have been. He once bolted in front of my school bus (I'm 5.5 years older) and I saved him by the hood of his jacket (all that was within reach). He cried because the jacket choked him and his art ended up under the bus wheels, but he was alive and that's all that mattered. Parents know what's best for their own kids, not you.
  • BrokenButBeautiful
    Options
    No.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Mine is older too but I would have never leashed her. Duct tape her to a chair? Yes. Leash? Never.

Ha!
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My parents had twins and once they got walking they liked to run off in opposite directions. I always thought their monkey leashes were adorable suited them.

The parent decides what's necessary for the health and welfare of their children, as well as their sanity. If no one is getting hurt, mind your own business.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    children_on_a_leash_15.jpg

Leash.jpg

child-dragged-verizon.jpg

This made me lol.
  • cparter
    Options
    I had to harness only one of my children. He was a runner regardless of what you said or did, as soon has his feet hit the pavement he was running. I had 3 children at the time all under the age of 4, my youngest was 3mths old. We were at an Island theme park standing on the waters edge feeding the ducks.. Out of the blue my 2yr ran off ... with me chasing him with an infant in my arms. Anytime I reached out to grab him he swerved in a different direction until finally he ended up running straight into the water. I was able to grab onto the waist of his shorts, but he was V shaped with head and feet in the water. WIth an 3 mth old in my arms I couldn't jump in and I didn't have the balance or strength to pull him out .... You don't know fear until your childs life is balanced in your hands.... Anyway, some complete stranger jumped in and pulled him out. So ya, after that he wore a wrist harness everywhere we went. That day, his life, his 4 yr old brother (that was left standing alone by the water) were put in jeopardy and never again would I put my children in that situation. Once he got older he stopped running off and we didn't use the harness anymore.

So, no, I don't judge parents for knowing what each of their childs disposition is like and doing what they can to keep them safe.
    And I applaud you.
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    my dog is my child so yes i do.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have a 3-year old boy who I have never leashed. HOWEVER, every single time we go anywhere, I immediately regret not leashing him and honestly, if I thought I could get him to wear it, I probably would. Despite my (and my boyfriend's) best efforts, our son is a runner.

I should be embarrassed to admit this, but it just doesn't matter. He doesn't listen. He's great at home, great in the car, but the second we get out of the car to go anywhere, it's like he loses his mind. He's at that age where he's testing his limits and unfortunately, that means wiggling out of my grasp and running.

I used to feel disgusted seeing parents with their kids on leashes, but now I get it. Yeah, some are just being lazy (talking on the phone, not paying attention, etc.), but most aren't doing that. If any of the parents I've ever seen with leashed kids have kids with energy like my son, then they deserve to be applauded, not judged.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    no but sometimes i would like to put a muzzle on him!! I think thats considered socially exceptable!! leash no, thats just wrong!!!!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    A lot of parents have perfect kids, a lot of kids have perfect parents.

In the real world that hardly ever happens.

It is not my place to judge...if a parent has a child on a harness and leash, then maybe they have safety issues?
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was always of the opinion that parents who used a leash were lazy, or could not keep control of their kids. I hated leashes and refused to be THAT parent.

Until I had my second son. If you have ever had a wanderer, escape artist, Houdini type child you would change your opinion.

When you see your three year old almost get hit by a car, or hide in a department store you would change your mind. I did not use a harness and leash but devised a tether for us so I could hold his hand and be assured he would not escape.

Do not judge until you have walked in the shoes of a parent scared for the life of their child.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Being the oldest child of 4 siblings and many, many cousins, I saw a lot of children grow up as I grew up.

Because I saw them grow up, I thought I knew everything what it took to be a parent and I developed a lot of "IFs" and didn't understand why parents would do such things and even thought a few were bad moms/dads.

Then I had my own...

From that moment on, I stopped judging other mothers/fathers.

1. I grew up and realized, it's not my place to judge. Live and let live.

2. I am the mother to my child, not everyone else's child. I do what I think is best for my daughter and I make the choices I believe would benefit her more. I believe 95% of all the other parents I come in contact with are doing the same thing. I may have different views and opinions than a lot of them, but I in no way think that automatically makes them a bad, weird, crazy, psychotic, or what ever other else you would want to call them. I do not care what some random person thinks I should do with my child. They don't know my child, I do.

If my daughter was a runner and I feared that she could be in danger of stepping out in front of a moving vehicle, you bet your sweet *kitten* I would put a leash/rein on her. I would rather random people I don't give two snots about judge and ridicule me then watch one of the most precious things in my life be harmed.
    This I like for certain. Wise beyond explanation for those who think they know it all without being in your situation.

^ This! I have 3 boys! Never thought of using a tether/leash back pack until my youngest got on the move! He is 7 now and I still have to remind him to quit looking at the ground when he walks! lol He runs into stuff and people all the time and never pays attention to where he is going! Highly distract-able children are not necessarily children that cannot be taught to stay with you! They just have so much going on in their little heads and are over aware of everything that is going on, they don't always pay attention to the now!

Never regret doing what you think is best for your kids!