Do you leash your kid?

Options
2stepscloser
2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
On my way to work this morning, I was listening to the local radio station and they were discussing parents placing their kids on leashes to prevent them from running off. One of the radio hosts commented that leashing your kid is only for fat and lazy parents. My daughter is older now but I would have never considered putting her on a leash! What in the world is wrong with holding your kid's hand? Leashes are for animals, not children.

Replies

• Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Mine is older too but I would have never leashed her. Duct tape her to a chair? Yes. Leash? Never.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    All five of mine have gone unleashed. I don't judge though. My friend uses a leash for her 2 year old because she says he like to explore, be independent, etc. To each their own. I don't think people are being lazy because you still have to pay attention. I think some parents just want some extra security knowing their child won't be able to run off. I know my kids have let go of my hand when I am not expecting it. I just don't like the way it looks and have preferred to teach them to stay with me.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Nope....being 16, he'd probably figure out how to take it off. :-(
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I've never used a leash. Though there have been times at a crowded fair that the number of people made me so nervous that I have said "Wow, a leash would be comforting"........but I made do without. :)
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This topic has already been discussed on here and it did not go well.

Some children don't hold hands well and slip out of their parents grip and if it came down to putting your kids in a backpack leash or them dying by running in front of a car or getting stolen, I would go with the leash.

How about you not judge other parents?
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Seeing kids on leashes makes me so angry! I DON'T GET IT

Agreed, why can't you just hold your kid's hand? If you leash them that doesn't teach them anything about respecting you as a parent. I also think there is much to be said for physical contact/human touch from parent to child. Putting a leash between you is just weird.

Edit: I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be judging other parents, I feel bad about feeling this way but it's just a pet peeve of mine
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I leash mine in public,but she's my 2 year old fur baby (a kitty named Yoshihiro). Whenever we have children, I don't intend to leash them. We will see how paranoid I am by that time though. I feel that it may provide extra safety in a crowded or busy environments in case the child wriggles free of my grasp. As I said though, I don't intend to make leashing my children a regular thing in my household....maybe if we're taking a trip to somewhere really crowded.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    This topic has already been discussed on here and it did not go well.

Some children don't hold hands well and slip out of their parents grip and if it came down to putting your kids in a backpack leash or them dying by running in front of a car or getting stolen, I would go with the leash.

How about you not judge other parents?

I didn't realize this topic had previously been discussed. Whether it be right or wrong, I think we are all guilty of judging others to some degree.
  • AnchoredinHimfitness
    Options
    I do not think is lazy or crazy. Doesn't bother me either way. There are BIGGER things to be concerned about. If someone needs to use one...who cares?! To me, I think it is silly how worked up people get over this topic!!!!!!
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I thought the same things until I had twins. Now I WISH I had baby leashes so I could take them out when I'm by myself without strapping them in a stroller. Honestly, I'd much rather dirty looks from judgemental people than the loss of a child.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was younger (she's now 2) we would every now and again, especially if she wanted to get out of her stroller and walk at the mall, then we definitely would, just for extra precaution. We don't now because she can listen and understand and she stays close anyway, also holds our hands. I don't really see why it's anyone's business anyway...

edited to say that she now holds our hands anyway
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I was leashed.

I remember it looked like a giant plastic springy coil key ring that was attached to 2 wrist bands. Then one of the bands was attached to me.

There was also a waist attachment, which they also put on me sometimes.

It was humiliating.
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I only have one child..so, he was always on my hip:happy:
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I tried it once when I was 9 (but felt like 19) months pregnant with sciatia and bad feet and was just freaking sick of chasing my toddler around in public.

But, it still seemed stupid so I never did it again.

I am just doing the happy dance now though that all this stupid crap is behind me (leashing, breastfeeding, crying it out, etc. etc. etc.).
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was also one of those terrible (as I was actually told once) mothers who used a playpen so I could keep a clean house and shower (things some mommy-martyrs cannot manage to do when playpens are seen as evil torture chamber devices derived solely to break the parent-child bond.

---> Did I mention that I am glad to be way past all this stuff ;-)
  • Still1Workoutatatime
    Options
    No
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No. Because he is a cat.
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I wish my neighbors would leash their kids. ;)
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was apparently leashed occasionally when I was younger, because me and my brother found the leash and asked what it was. I don't remember it, so I'm assuming it was when I was <5 with a 2 year younger brother. By the time I was old enough to look where I was going and come back when called, I wasn't on the leash anymore.

It seems to have left no lasting trauma, and I'm sure it was a comfort to my mom, given she had nightmares about losing children in crowds.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If my kid was a flight risk--totally, and unashamedly YES I would use a leash. No amount of bad-mouthing my mothering skills or dirty looks or snide comments by some idiot (not directed at you, OP) is going to make me remove a safely tool from my arsenal if I think my kid needs it.

For one, it gives an overactive child a bit more freedom than hand-holding/hip/shopping cart seat might, and keeps me sane.

This is only if the child enjoys it, though. I have a little tail-leash monkey-backpack that I bought for my toddler, and he HATES wearing it, he just wants to hug and hold it like a stuffed animal. If I were to make him wear it to the grocery store it would cause more fuss and drama than without, so I choose not to. But if he likes it and were happy wearing it, I would use it all the time. No shame in it if the child enjoys it.