Do you leash your kid?

Options

Replies

• ksdedoof
    Options
    My parents leashed me when I was younger. I was always running away trying to explore and could never find my way back. I'm glad they leashed me, I would probably be long gone if they didn't.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    This topic has already been discussed on here and it did not go well.

Some children don't hold hands well and slip out of their parents grip and if it came down to putting your kids in a backpack leash or them dying by running in front of a car or getting stolen, I would go with the leash.

How about you not judge other parents?

Or you could just train the kid to behave better. I think that's better in the long run.

Or you could understand that there are special needs children, like say those with Autism, who can very easily get away from their mothers.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Would be completely pointless to leash my child. Just have one, and she's not inclined to run off by herself.

But when I see kids on a leash, I just figure the parents are doing what they think is best for their kids. One size does not fit all.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I considered it, even bought one. But I never used it. It's really only applicable for children who can or should be in a stroller anyway.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this other day with my friend...
    I honestly don't think it is such a bad idea because I am more afraid of my child disappearing then how it looks.
    Someone could steal your child if he walks off for just a couple minutes to explore and I am very scared of that.
    So my children will probably be leashed and taught not to go off alone and things like that.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find the gif I wanted, but I stumbled on this one.

leash.jpg

Some kids never grow out of it.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think it is a ridiculous practice. If this generation would lift their heads from their cell phones and pay attention/interact with their children, it would be an unneccessary practice.

Go ahead and hate on me, but leashes are for pets, not children. Raised three kids and never lost track of them or felt a need to tether them like dogs.

I HATE seeing parents not paying attention to their children as they sit there and text and their child is running around the store at the mall. I just want to scream at them because that is so dangerous, that child could just disappear. I just don't understand that. But I will be paying very close attention to my children and I will still probably leash them because that is one of my biggest fears, turning away to grab something and my child just being gone. I couldn't live with myself, so I will take that step to help that never happen.
  • stephlahtinen
    stephlahtinen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    all i can say, is that as a child i frequently had to have stores shut down and locked til people found me hiding in the clothes racks and my mother was very very attentive. after about the third almost heart attack i gave her, i started to have to wear a little bracelet that connected to a bracelet my mom wore. or by definition on this post, "a leash".

i dont think it was bad, or degrading. i think i was a wanderer and she did it for my own safety.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The number of things I said I would never do, and then have done since I've been a parent...

I did try reins when my son was learning to walk and desperate to toddle uncertainly everywhere, but he wouldn't walk with them so I got rid of them. They don't seem to be as frowned upon here in the UK although you never know - the amount of stuff other people judge you on as a parent, they may as well throw this one in too.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

But when I see kids on a leash, I just figure the parents are doing what they think is best for their kids. One size does not fit all.

I agree with this most of all
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    These things were around long before cell phones and texting was popular.

And, FWIW, sometimes parents are actually doing work - you know, to keep a roof over said wandering child's head. Not everyone on a cell phone is screwing around and neglecting their kids for ****s and giggles.
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mine is older too but I would have never leashed her. Duct tape her to a chair? Yes. Leash? Never.

I agree with this,lol.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find the gif I wanted, but I stumbled on this one.

leash.jpg

Some kids never grow out of it.

i agree why don't we leash more men?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I considered it, even bought one. But I never used it. It's really only applicable for children who can or should be in a stroller anyway.

Yup, because we are all going to drag out the stroller every single time we get out of the car to go somewhere... Yeah, no. And my daughter has now learned the "stiff as a board" trick and she is really good at it (hell she pulled it out on my this morning when she all of a sudden decided she didn't want to go on a specific toilet in our house and wanted to go in the other one)... if she doesn't want to sit there is no amount of making her that will get her to sit. I will gladly let you try getting her to sometime.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I hardly use a leash for my dog, so I can't imagine I'll opt for one when my time to have kids rolls around.

My girlfriend however...
  • jaysull21
    Options
    Or you could understand that there are special needs children, like say those with Autism, who can very easily get away from their mothers.

This.
  • myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options
    I'd rather see a child attached to a rein than to some car's front bumper. My youngest was such a runner I couldn't even get a rein on him. I had to run everywhere with him or carry him kicking and screaming. We didn't go out much like I did with my older kids.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Four kids, all adults now, but I only HAD to leash one of them, and just for a short period of time. My husband was working out of town for a few months and I took all 4 to the grocery store. I had two 6 year olds, a 3 year old and an infant. The 3 year old wanted to run, kid just never walked. One of the 6 year olds kept chasing him down and brining him back, but my fear was someone snatching him or snatching the baby if I left her with the twins to go catch him. Next week I took one of the dog's leashes, showed it to the 3 year old, told him if he ran away from me I would leash him to the cart. He was 3, he ran, I leashed. He hated it and it only took about 3 or 4 weeks in a row to get my point across. He stopped running away and stayed close enough for me to reach him at all times. No more leash. BTW, I tied the leash to the cart and clipped it to the back belt buckle on his jeans, never really on his body. I got some comments, but you know what? I didn't care then and I don't care now. It kept him safe and that was the important thing.
  • TheFairyJester
    Options
    I will answer this the same way i did on cafemom whenever it comes up.

I have never needed to do this with my son. but if he was the type to run off, especially in crowed areas, yes i would

i would rather have scornful looks now rather than sympathetic at his funeral.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Seeing kids on leashes makes me so angry! I DON'T GET IT

Agreed, why can't you just hold your kid's hand? If you leash them that doesn't teach them anything about respecting you as a parent. I also think there is much to be said for physical contact/human touch from parent to child. Putting a leash between you is just weird.

Edit: I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be judging other parents, I feel bad about feeling this way but it's just a pet peeve of mine

Pro tip: If you know you shouldn't be judging, then shut the hell up and stop judging.