Keyboard Warriors

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and was kind of upset about it. Like I said in that thread, giving a different opinion can be done in different ways. Sarcastically saying to someone, "Have a nice trip. See you next fall" is purposely being immature and expecting that person to fail. If MFP's community is about support (and it is, or it should be), then maybe everyone should grow up a little.

TIL I'm hella immature... that is my favorite thing to say to someone when they trip.

eta: any other connotations in the above sentence are purely coincidental, however I am going to roll with it. :smokin:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    We are all here supposedly for the same reason.

No we are not. :flowerforyou:
    Seriously. I came here for tacos and all I got was this silly ticker. I put a pokemon in it.

Good choice.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Alternative hypothesis:

How about, when people ask for help, they accept all forms of advice and critique without perceiving it as being attacked. It's almost always the case as I've seen it here on these boards. If people don't want honest feedback that could potentially be something less than purely motivational handholding, then they shouldn't ask for advice in a public forum. People will try to get at the root of the problem in the spirit of helping. That means making sure that the asker is being honest with themselves. If someone isn't losing weight, there's a reason. It's either medical or personal accountability (usually unintentional). Which one do you think is more often the case?

If people just get coddled in the face of trying to discover the problem, that problem may never get solved and the asker will continue to either make no progress or just give up.

I'd rather people dig for the reason I'm messing up instead of just giving me a placating pat on the back.

I agree, if you are asking for help you should be prepared to get honesty being honest can still be supportive.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and was kind of upset about it. Like I said in that thread, giving a different opinion can be done in different ways. Sarcastically saying to someone, "Have a nice trip. See you next fall" is purposely being immature and expecting that person to fail. If MFP's community is about support (and it is, or it should be), then maybe everyone should grow up a little.

It's not like we say things like "just stay fat"

Have you even read the book? Don't knock it if you haven't.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Alternative hypothesis:

How about, when people ask for help, they accept all forms of advice and critique without perceiving it as being attacked. It's almost always the case as I've seen it here on these boards. If people don't want honest feedback that could potentially be something less than purely motivational handholding, then they shouldn't ask for advice in a public forum. People will try to get at the root of the problem in the spirit of helping. That means making sure that the asker is being honest with themselves. If someone isn't losing weight, there's a reason. It's either medical or personal accountability (usually unintentional). Which one do you think is more often the case?

If people just get coddled in the face of trying to discover the problem, that problem may never get solved and the asker will continue to either make no progress or just give up.

I'd rather people dig for the reason I'm messing up instead of just giving me a placating pat on the back.

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    KeyboardWarriors.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm the last person anyone should ever ask about positive support. I don't even know how to apply those words to real life.

:smokin:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If people don't want honest feedback that could potentially be something less than purely motivational handholding, then they shouldn't ask for advice in a public forum.

Are 'honesty' and 'motivational handholding' mutually exclusive?
    Considering the fact that almost every thread you post in ends up getting locked, I hardly think you're in a position to tell other people how they should or shouldn't phrase their help or advice.

Yeah... but can you answer my question. It's just a question.

I did...did you answer my question?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Have you even read the book? Don't knock it if you haven't.

no not yet...I will get right on that.:drinker:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

The mods delete your posts if you tell people to just stay fat.

Ask me how I know.

now I'm going to start saying just break up.... with the idea of ever being not fat. is that more positive and/or supportive?

I'm the last person anyone should ever ask about positive support. I don't even know how to apply those words to real life.

I can't even answer questions about supportive bras. from MFP I have learned this is because I am "pear shaped." I believe I even used the correct type of fruit there.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Ask me how I know.

now I'm going to start saying just break up.... with the idea of ever being not fat. is that more positive and/or supportive?

I can't even answer questions about supportive bras. from MFP I have learned this is because I am "pear shaped." I believe I even used the correct type of fruit there.

Be careful too much fruit is no good for you. :laugh:
  • cmcollins001
    Options
    Failure to plan on their part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

It's easy, track calorie intake, exercise, be patient. Consume less energy than you expend, your body burns the reserves. Now, what exactly are people needing help with again?
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options

In the context of the last thread I was in, that was what the author was saying. The OP hadn't asked for advice, another member replied and attacked the way he was eating. The OP said he hadn't asked for his opinion and the member basically said he wouldn't keep the weight off and would fail. I think that's a crummy ****ing thing to say to someone on a health site who never asked for opinions.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    When you go to a doctor and ask for his advice and in return you start yelling at him and stay in denial, the doctor is bound to tell you that you are stupid and crazy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

Is it an 'either or', really? So people can EITHER have friendly, polite, encouraging replies OR honest feedback. They can't have both? Why?

A lot of people, myself included tend to be straight forward and honest...blunt if you will..it's not unfriendly...being honest and straight forward can often be perceived as mean or unfriendly. Ultimately I don't care...much of this stuff is in deed science and fact but too many people think they're special little snow flakes and that their opinions matter as much as those facts, and they don't.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

In the context of the last thread I was in, that was what the author was saying. The OP hadn't asked for advice, another member replied and attacked the way he was eating. The OP said he hadn't asked for his opinion and the member basically said he wouldn't keep the weight off and would fail. I think that's a crummy ****ing thing to say to someone on a health site who never asked for opinions.

If you make a thread on a public forum...you are opening yourself to opinions, critiques, etc. If you didn't want opinions, then next time use the blog feature or stick to your friends feed where you can better moderate/delete responses that don't suit you.
  • sypop
    sypop Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Seriously. I came here for tacos and all I got was this silly ticker. I put a pokemon in it.
    [/quote]

OMG i looooooooooooove tacos! just sayin
  • cmcollins001
    Options

Ask me how I know.

I'm sure we can find someone who is willing to support your fruit.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Sarcastically saying to someone, "Have a nice trip. See you next fall" is purposely being immature and expecting that person to fail.

My boss said that to me today. I didn't know I was supposed to be upset, so I made fun of him for his "originality". I should have read this earlier.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Ask me how I know.

Hahaha. I always thoguht pear shaped applied to my general mentality pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pear-shaped
    The third meaning is mostly limited to the United Kingdom, Ireland and Australasia. It describes a situation that went awry, perhaps horribly wrong. A failed bank robbery, for example, could be said to have "gone pear-shaped". The origin for this use of the term is in dispute. The OED cites its origin as within the Royal Air Force; as of 2003 the earliest citation there is a quote in the 1983 book Air War South Atlantic.[1] Others date it to the RAF in the 1940s, from pilots attempting to perform aerial manoeuvres such as loops. These are difficult to form perfectly, and are usually noticeably distorted—i.e., pear-shaped
This discussion has been closed.