PLEASE read if you have children or know children!

Options
1235»

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

Yes I took a photo of it. Unfortunately I suck at posting pics here in the threads :)

If you can get the link to the picture, that would be perfect all in itself :)
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    You just want us to be aware of this one because it got to you.

Correct.

Well then, let me also warn everyone of the horror that is the scorpion. Also prevalent in the south, these little *kitten* will make you feel like you are dying or wish to die just to make the pain and sickness stop. The sting feels like being slapped by metal, subsequently to be followed by immediate and rapid swelling, itchiness, and pain. Within hours, you will run a high fever with a headache. This will be followed by stomach cramps and vomiting. You may not know where you are or have any idea how you came to feel this way. Scorpions are dangerous and deadly and EVERYWHERE in the south so please please please be careful and watch out for them.

How many people here were aware that scorpions can sting and it hurts?
    EVERYONE.

I'd be willing to bet cash money that a large number of people were unaware that this cute little cuddly critter was a poisonous venomous hellbeast from realms beyond.

Thanks though for the heads up that scorpions can hurt.

I have never seen or heard of the type of caterpillar the OP is referencing (I'll put a pic below, if anyone is curious, because I certainly was) and am glad she shared because I had no idea. I grew up playing with different caterpillars and never thought of any of them as being potentially harmful, and since I live where these things can pop up, I am grateful to now be aware of them.

I was, however, aware of the scorpion, which is the opposite of fluffy and touchable seeming, and have never desired to be around one to experience it. Sorry for your experience Husky, but I totally don't get your reaction to the OP's topic to spread awareness.

tumblr_lhtw938wbX1qeeqk5o1_500.jpg

Thank goodness there are still reasonable people out there!!!! That was my point, to raise awareness... Some folks just can't stand to be around others unless their story is bigger, worse, or whatever. I'm not trying to win any awards for best story - I just want everyone to be careful. I did a little more research and these little "furry monsters" are at their peak right now in October. YIKES

Unfortunately there are some that will find a way to be combative in every situation. It's pretty funny when it's blatantly obvious lol :drinker:
  • ThePlight
    Options
    Ah, so that IS the one. Didn't look much like the photos I found on google, much more detailed. Perhaps I need to adjust my settings.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Ewwwwwwwwww and thanks for the heads up. I hope that you are back to feeling 100%!
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    1398422_10202062038054158_155254073_o_zpsfcb15f9a.jpg

Finally I was able to post my pic :)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm in the midwest but I would totally pick up something like that. It's so cute! Gives me the creeps now...
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    This makes me glad that I live in Australia, safe from dangerous creatures trying to kill me at every turn. Oh, wait...
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It's excellent to point out, and I'm glad you feel better!

But I'm surprised that you live in GA and haven't heard not to touch funny-looking caterpillars. That's exactly the advice we heard growing up in NC ;) :

-- Funny-looking caterpillars are poisonous. Wooly worms aren't 'funny looking'. You have to keep up.
    -- Also poisonous are snakes with triangular-ish heads and/or rattles.
    -- And shiny black spiders, too.

I think that probably covers it, unless we're talking inside the house or at the beach or the 'bee' sort of population...

I've only been bitten by the shiny black spider (with the red spot, yeah), but I've been around probably thousands of them by now. Not bad odds! :D That was a bad day, certainly. I've heard awful (true) stories, too. I try to be more careful since then, and that's not always like me.

I have a venomous caterpillar in my gardens each year myself. Not nearly as bad as the one that got you, but yeah, not something I touch with my skin! The birds don't eat them, either.

Oh! And don't mess with fig trees/leaves unless you know you aren't allergic. That's one not many people hear nowadays, and it's still very good advice.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever personally come across one. Thank you for the heads up. And for anyone else who might be scoffing:

http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/puss-caterpillar-stings-topic-overview

It's one bug, not indicative of all caterpillars, even if it is "for the children."

When I was younger we'd play tag, and just sometimes one of us would use a handful of sand filled with fire ants to make a tag. Wub wub.

ETA - Oh yeah, want to really get the wtf going in your brain? Check out the brown recluse. You usually won't see them, but if they ding you... hooooo boy.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Oh my i hope your ok!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Wow, those things are so crazy looking! What is the approximate size? They look so big in the pics but I'm assuming they're zoomed in. Just wondering something they're "about the size" of.
  • ThePlight
    Options
    Bumping. Needs to be seen.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopyge_opercularis

Other remedies, which are reported to have varying degrees of success, include ice packs, oral antihistamine, baking soda, hydrocortisone cream, juice from the stems of comfrey plants, or calamine lotion.