Juice Cleanse?

Options
I am thinking about doing a 3-day Juice cleanse this weekend. I have heard some bad and good things about it. Mostly online research. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what your expirience was with it? Pros? Cons? What kinds of food did you eat while you were cleansing? If any...

Anything I need to know that might be helpful? Something you learned but wish you knew before you started... Juice recipes??

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    And what exactly are you cleansing?
  • Rav3n1022
    Rav3n1022 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just my body in general.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just my body in general.

Your body already cleanses itself....the only thing you will be cleansing is your wallet.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Just my body in general.

Your body already cleanses itself....the only thing you will be cleansing is your wallet.

^Yup.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Just my body in general.

^Yup.

Double yup.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just my body in general.

^Yup.

Double yup.

^Triple Yup
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Yes to your body cleansing itself, but to answer your question, a pro to juicing is pretty much the concept of any weightloss plan and that is creating a caloric deficit.

For me, I never did a juice fast, but because I really disliked veggies & wasn't getting enough in, I saw nothing wrong with juicing them. A con to juicing is you extract the fiber so there's nothing to balance the sugars in say the fruits you add so if that's a problem for you then be aware.

i personally like using one granny smith apple, spinach, kale, carrots, lemon, celery for my juice. I never really strayed from that recipe, i liked it enough.

i counted the calories in the juice the same as i did all the other food i would eat that day and just take into account i didn't really intake all that fiber.

Something I wish I knew was that the acidity from the lemon and the strain of fresh juice on your stomach is not pleasant. dilute fresh juice with water, just a little and it makes a real difference.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    "Cleanse" is just a euphemism for "diarrhea."
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't you just get sticky cleansing with juice? I prefer to just have a shower with regular water.
  • Rav3n1022
    Options
    Hi, I appriciate everyones responce, but unless you have actually done a juice cleanse or have something useful to say, I don't need to hear it. I have read pros and cons about it, I am looking for some real life expirience, not snide remarks about diarreah and such. So, unless you actually have something to say, don't bother responding. Thanks :)
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    "Cleanse" is just a euphemism for "diarrhea."
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hi, I appriciate everyones responce, but unless you have actually done a juice cleanse or have something useful to say, I don't need to hear it. I have read pros and cons about it, I am looking for some real life expirience, not snide remarks about diarreah and such. So, unless you actually have something to say, don't bother responding. Thanks :)

So pretty much only tell you what you want to hear? Many people have been here a long time and have a great deal of experience and get to read the same topics on these boards over and over again, always with the same outcome. They are trying to save you time and money. No-one needs to juice cleanse, eat the fruit and vegetables, you'll find they retain more of their nutrients when they aren't juiced. There are no shortcuts, no bump starts and no need to do cleanses, just stick with a reasonable calorie deficit, exercise and eat well and your body does the rest :flowerforyou:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi, I appriciate everyones response, but unless you have actually done a juice cleanse or have something useful to say, I don't need to hear it. I have read pros and cons about it, I am looking for some real life expirience, not snide remarks about diarreah and such. So, unless you actually have something to say, don't bother responding. Thanks :)

Well there's a lot of information you can get from people's' snide comments, and I would summarise the comments on here as not being particularly supportive of the idea of a cleanse. Evidence-based research (not the quackery you read on juice fast promotional websites) does not indicate any health benefits associated with fasts. They are basically an incredibly low calorie diet dressed up as something your body "needs". drinking only juice or blended vegetables or some liquid is go to to give you calories only from sugar, which is just not healthy.

Weight loss on a fast is mainly just from water. Why would you take water away from your body? it's good stuff. Bodies don't like starving, so when you start eating again it's going to hold onto the calories worse than before, so you'll gain any actual weight loss back again. Some people like the fact that they feel lighter and emptier after a fast - well why wouldn't you, you have just assaulted your digestive tract with a lack of food and laxatives.

in short, it is an expensive, unnecessary and unhealthy approach to weight loss, and certainly doesn't give you any long term benefits. bodies have been cleansing themselves for millions of years so I do not understand why suddenly in the last 30 years we need to give it strange potions to do it better.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    "I believe in you...you believe in me...you transcend the universe...God is smiling on you...life is a waterfall and you are the ultimate rainbow." --Simon Cowell
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your body knows how to clean itself, and fruit really isn't the best thing to constantly pump into your body, you'll get plenty of spikes of energy and huge drops.

I would personally just do some intermittent fasting instead.
  • Rav3n1022
    Options

So pretty much only tell you what you want to hear? Many people have been here a long time and have a great deal of experience and get to read the same topics on these boards over and over again, always with the same outcome. They are trying to save you time and money. No-one needs to juice cleanse, eat the fruit and vegetables, you'll find they retain more of their nutrients when they aren't juiced. There are no shortcuts, no bump starts and no need to do cleanses, just stick with a reasonable calorie deficit, exercise and eat well and your body does the rest :flowerforyou:

I am not asking to tell me what i want to hear because what I want to hear are more or less real life pros and cons. I appriciate your responce and although it had a very snide tone, it was helpful. Thank you.
  • Rav3n1022
    Options
    Your body knows how to clean itself, and fruit really isn't the best thing to constantly pump into your body, you'll get plenty of spikes of energy and huge drops.

I would personally just do some intermittent fasting instead.

I am not looking to base my entire life around Juicing. This is a SHORT 3 day cleanse. lol as stated in my original post. Also, fruit will not be the main thing in my juicing. it will be mainly veggies, I am well aware sugar from fruit is not something I should be 'pumping' into my body. Thank you.
  • Rav3n1022
    Options
    Hi, I appriciate everyones response, but unless you have actually done a juice cleanse or have something useful to say, I don't need to hear it. I have read pros and cons about it, I am looking for some real life expirience, not snide remarks about diarreah and such. So, unless you actually have something to say, don't bother responding. Thanks :)

Well there's a lot of information you can get from people's' snide comments, and I would summarise the comments on here as not being particularly supportive of the idea of a cleanse. Evidence-based research (not the quackery you read on juice fast promotional websites) does not indicate any health benefits associated with fasts. They are basically an incredibly low calorie diet dressed up as something your body "needs". drinking only juice or blended vegetables or some liquid is go to to give you calories only from sugar, which is just not healthy.

Weight loss on a fast is mainly just from water. Why would you take water away from your body? it's good stuff. Bodies don't like starving, so when you start eating again it's going to hold onto the calories worse than before, so you'll gain any actual weight loss back again. Some people like the fact that they feel lighter and emptier after a fast - well why wouldn't you, you have just assaulted your digestive tract with a lack of food and laxatives.

in short, it is an expensive, unnecessary and unhealthy approach to weight loss, and certainly doesn't give you any long term benefits. bodies have been cleansing themselves for millions of years so I do not understand why suddenly in the last 30 years we need to give it strange potions to do it better.

Thank you.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I am not asking to tell me what i want to hear because what I want to hear are more or less real life pros and cons. I appriciate your responce and although it had a very snide tone, it was helpful. Thank you.

There are no pros. Just eat at a deficit, exercise moderately, and lose weight. It is that simple and doesn't need to be overcomplicated like people make it to be. :flowerforyou: