Juice Cleanse?

Options

Replies

• czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just my body in general.

Why have I been using my spleen, liver, and kidneys all these years when i could just cleanse my body with juice instead?
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    OK. I am going to do it. If it has negative reactions, then I will know. If it doesn't then I will know that too. I appriciate the actual feedback from everyone! I will let you know how it goes :)

Thank you.

Good luck! At least it's only 3 days!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    My experience with a 3-day juice cleanse: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cheryl529h

And I think the word "cleanse" is a misnomer. I never had any unusual gastrointestinal side effects at all during the three days I was on my "cleanse."

By the way, all the juice recipes I used during the 3-day cleanse are noted in the blog.

I was thinking "cleanse" was a misnomer, because there is no actual cleansing that happens.

It seems that "fasting" might be a better term.

If someone wants to try it, have at it - I just don't think that the industry spinning it to seem like it is cleansing isn't doing anyone any favors.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Just my body in general.

im just gonna go ahead and drop this awesome gif in all "body cleanse" threads today.

109047.gif

so far this is number 2. let's keep up the good work!

Awww, Cloody the bunny! I love her! This was a cute video.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that I know this rabbit's name?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

It would be weird if you *didn't*.

Just kidding.

But seriously, did OP just cherry pick all of the responses that agreed with her (in any way), ignore all the other feedback and requests for more information, and then say, "Yep, I'm doing this." Really?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Just kidding.

But seriously, did OP just cherry pick all of the responses that agreed with her (in any way), ignore all the other feedback and requests for more information, and then say, "Yep, I'm doing this." Really?

That's exactly what happened. OP was always going to do the 'cleanse' and just wanted to have a chat about it before she started. She was never actually looking for cons.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Just kidding.

That's exactly what happened. OP was always going to do the 'cleanse' and just wanted to have a chat about it before she started. She was never actually looking for cons.

That's the same conclusion to which I was drawn. Why bother asking for feedback if you've already committed yourself to it? What manner of poster are we dealing with?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    OK. I am going to do it. If it has negative reactions, then I will know. If it doesn't then I will know that too. I appriciate the actual feedback from everyone! I will let you know how it goes :)

Thank you.

Also known as "I am going to ignore everything that 99% of people said and just do something that has no value anyway." Why even ask if you are going to just take the road marked "this is a stupid idea"?

And you STILL have not mentioned what it is supposed to cleanse. We are still waiting on that answer.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think a juice cleanse is a great idea. If you own a juicer, it will not be costly at all. You can get great benefit from juicing. While you can't sit down and eat a bunch of kale. You can juice a bunch and reap all the nutrition from it. I juice on occasion (never tried a total juice cleanse, not disciplined enough) and notice my skin is much healthier looking. I older, so anything that helps get the nutrition to the system, I'm willing to try. Another thing, juicing will provide a break to the digestive system to help rid your system of toxic waste. Digestion uses a lot of energy which is why many feel sluggish after a large meal. My suggestion would be to use mainly vegetables because they don't have the carb spike that fruits have, nor the sugar content. Try reading books by Joel Fuhrman. He's great! And maybe watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", a testimony to a juice fast. All the best to you!
  • alyssajayds40
    alyssajayds40 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have done a Juice fast. I found it very beneficial to my own personal health and wellbeing. I did it for 14 days. The only thing is it is expensive for it takes a large amount of veggies and fruit to make the juices. You really can't put any kind of cleans or fasting online without major negativity, the inexperienced know all and the FDA never lies to us.

Note: The improvements fasting may have on one’s healthy is individual. I can't say what it did for me will be the same for you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think a juice cleanse is a great idea. If you own a juicer, it will not be costly at all. You can get great benefit from juicing. While you can't sit down and eat a bunch of kale. You can juice a bunch and reap all the nutrition from it. I juice on occasion (never tried a total juice cleanse, not disciplined enough) and notice my skin is much healthier looking. I older, so anything that helps get the nutrition to the system, I'm willing to try. Another thing, juicing will provide a break to the digestive system to help rid your system of toxic waste. Digestion uses a lot of energy which is why many feel sluggish after a large meal. My suggestion would be to use mainly vegetables because they don't have the carb spike that fruits have, nor the sugar content. Try reading books by Joel Fuhrman. He's great! And maybe watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", a testimony to a juice fast. All the best to you!

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

What toxin are you ridding your system of??? WHICH ONE??? WHAT IS ITS NAME?!!??/?doubleslash??/

And why do you think your digestive system needs a break? We don't take breathing breaks...or heart pumping breaks. Well, I mean, sometimes we do...but those are Bad Things. Very Bad Things.

Testimony to a juice fast? You mean, infomercial, right?

*ragequits*
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Just kidding.

That's the same conclusion to which I was drawn. Why bother asking for feedback if you've already committed yourself to it? What manner of poster are we dealing with?

A pretty standard one..... unfortunately.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

What toxin are you ridding your system of??? WHICH ONE??? WHAT IS ITS NAME?!!??/?doubleslash??/

And why do you think your digestive system needs a break? We don't take breathing breaks...or heart pumping breaks. Well, I mean, sometimes we do...but those are Bad Things. Very Bad Things.

*ragequits*

This...

Who is eating TOXIC WASTE? Really...Seriously...Toxic waste. No such thing. I'm pretty sure if someone ate toxic waste it would kill them!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Thank you.

WOW!!!!!!!!1111111111111 :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    hakase-popcorn-rage-quit-o.gif
  • Dianne4Him
    Dianne4Him Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We (my daughter and I) have done the "mean green" juice from Joe Cross (if you haven't seen the movie "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead", it's amazingly motivating.) It is NOT labeled a "cleanse" but in my book really good cleansing is giving the body the nutrients it needs in order to set things right in our bodies.

What we experienced in a week of mean green juicing (adding one meal a day in evening) was more energy & 12 lbs weight loss. I like the mean green because it isn't overwhelmingly fruit (which can not be a good thing) and it suprisingly tastes great! We mixed mean green with apple juice sometimes and mostly half and half with tomato or v8 juice to save on $ since both of us were doing it. We are actually starting back on it this week and are really excited because we feel so great while doing it and lose significant amount of weight while on it.

Hope this encouraged!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    We (my daughter and I) have done the "mean green" juice from Joe Cross (if you haven't seen the movie "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead", it's amazingly motivating.) It is NOT labeled a "cleanse" but in my book really good cleansing is giving the body the nutrients it needs in order to set things right in our bodies.

What we experienced in a week of mean green juicing (adding one meal a day in evening) was more energy & 12 lbs weight loss. I like the mean green because it isn't overwhelmingly fruit (which can not be a good thing) and it suprisingly tastes great! We mixed mean green with apple juice sometimes and mostly half and half with tomato or v8 juice to save on $ since both of us were doing it. We are actually starting back on it this week and are really excited because we feel so great while doing it and lose significant amount of weight while on it.

Hope this encouraged!

So 12 pounds between the two of you or 12 pounds each and you both lost exactly the same amount of weight?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It is NOT labeled a "cleanse" but in my book really good cleansing is giving the body the nutrients it needs in order to set things right in our bodies.

Set what right exactly? :huh:
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options

*ragequits*

I'm not surprised by your negativity. I see from your profile - you don't like people.... As americans, we consume a lot of food, more than average. And, a lot of foods with chemical additives, artificial flavoring, and crap no one can pronouce, let alone spell. I could go on but I'm not here to write a book. All of which must go through your digestive tract. Some of it never leaves the body, instead lining the walls of the intestines with putrid waste. Then there is that old saying "You are what you eat." There are several signs of people with bad diets (overweight, acne, pertruding bellies, redness in the eyes, smell, etc.). So why wouldn't a good diet, including juicing do a body well?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Hi, I appriciate everyones responce, but unless you have actually done a juice cleanse or have something useful to say, I don't need to hear it. I have read pros and cons about it, I am looking for some real life expirience, not snide remarks about diarreah and such. So, unless you actually have something to say, don't bother responding. Thanks :)

So pretty much only tell you what you want to hear? Many people have been here a long time and have a great deal of experience and get to read the same topics on these boards over and over again, always with the same outcome. They are trying to save you time and money. No-one needs to juice cleanse, eat the fruit and vegetables, you'll find they retain more of their nutrients when they aren't juiced. There are no shortcuts, no bump starts and no need to do cleanses, just stick with a reasonable calorie deficit, exercise and eat well and your body does the rest :flowerforyou:

I am not asking to tell me what i want to hear because what I want to hear are more or less real life pros and cons. I appriciate your responce and although it had a very snide tone, it was helpful. Thank you.

Putting all snide and sarcasm aside, here's a real answer to what you say you are seeking.

Real life pros -

1. You will probably create a caloric deficit, which will lead to weight loss.
    2. You will be consuming large amounts of micro-nutrients, and you're more or less guaranteed to hit your RDAs.
    3. You might find you like some vegetables/fruit that you never considered before.

Real life cons -

1. You won't be learning how to moderate real food intake, and you'll still need to do that to sustain weightloss.
    2. The concept of 'toxins' being flushed from your system has been discredited multiple times in peer reviewed science.
    3. It's expensive compared to a well balanced diet.
    4. You'll be getting close to no protein and fat. Short term this isn't too bad, but long term it can lead to muscle catabolism and depression, to name just two potential symptoms of protein and fat deficiencies.
    5. 90% of those excess micro-nutrients will be excreted by your body. There are no bonus points for going over.
    6. Long term juicing plays havoc with your digestive system, and if you don't reintroduce solid food slowly enough, you're in for a bad time.
    7. Assuming you don't derive enjoyment from juicing, it could lead to rebound eating in excess. This one is purely theoretical, of course, your mileage may vary.

By the way, I bought a juicer, and very nearly did this. Thankfully my opinion was swayed by many very knowledgeable people both on and off MFP.