Skipping Thanksgiving

Options
So, how do I just say, "I'd really like to just have a quiet time at home, alone on Thanksgiving." I think that sounds amazing! I'd love nothing more than to curl up in front of my fireplace with a book and just relax that day.

Staying away from the crazy, calorie laden foods of the day is just a bonus. I'm not in the least bit sentimental, and I don't attach emotions to food.

I just don't know how to get my point across to my highly sentimental relatives that I'm just not all that into stuffing my face this year. Food = Love in my family.

Maybe I'll just come down with the "flu" or something. :ohwell:

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My office has a Thanksgiving lunch on Tuesday before the holiday, and a breakfast the following day. People are expected to bring in a food from their culture or tradition. I think this may be the year I opt out...some do, most participate. But I want to enjoy my Thanksgiving with my family and not worry about tracking high calorie foods for three days running! I say do what makes you happy, or just go to the family gathering for the company and don't focus on the food.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I think if my family was close and I visited them all the time I would want the same thing. But, since they live out of state I wish I could see them. Plus my Thanksgiving is messed up since I work in retail so I can NEVER travel!
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I give myself 1-2 cheat meals a month... not to go overboard on, but to increase my calories closer to 2000. (and recorded!)

It's perfect for holiday months... it keeps me reigned in, but no so much that I'm depriving myself of family, friends, and fun food!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Family holiday meals are my favorite times of the year. Cherish these times while you still have your family to attend these events.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Get a dog, works for me I can go when I want and leave when it suits - sorry I am late had to get the dog out, got to dash must take the dog for her last walk before it's dark. Or really sorry but I really don't want to spend the day driving back and too and rushing about to get back for the dog so thanks but no thanks :p
  • anniskurja
    Options
    I completely understand! If I skipped my family would probably divorce me. :) I recommend dropping by. Its not just about the food. It is also a time where families get to spend time with eachother. Eat before so that you can say that you are not hungry and have already eaten. If they get upset about you not eating there, say you are trying to be healthy and don't want one day to distract you from your goal.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    We're pretty low key for Thanksgiving-church in the morning and then lunch at the inlaws. No one likes turkey so my mil does a ham, which I don't like, so I'll have a large salad, probably a roll and then cheesecake :bigsmile: Then at night we usually go out and see a movie and we don't get food there, so calorie wise it's not a biggie.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    or, just go and spend time with your family and eat sensibly. Its not mutually exclusive.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So, how do I just say, "I'd really like to just have a quiet time at home, alone on Thanksgiving." I think that sounds amazing! I'd love nothing more than to curl up in front of my fireplace with a book and just relax that day.

Staying away from the crazy, calorie laden foods of the day is just a bonus. I'm not in the least bit sentimental, and I don't attach emotions to food.

I just don't know how to get my point across to my highly sentimental relatives that I'm just not all that into stuffing my face this year. Food = Love in my family.

I do not celebrate Thanksgiving.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't skip out on the opportunity to spend at least a little time with family so maybe find a way to excuse yourself from the meal portion of the day but pop in for an hour or two just to visit when you know they're done eating? And if they try to push pie and leftovers on you, just say no thanks, I'm full (or whatever).
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Here's a tip: Don't say, "I'd really like to just have a quiet time at home, alone on Thanksgiving." They'll have you committed. :smile:

But seriously, this is not about food, it's about spending time with your family, whom I know you love. And while sometimes those family-type get-togethers can be very taxing (sometimes they are for me, too), just remember: it's not all about you. They want to see you, and they'll feel hurt if they think you don't want to see them, too.

The food traps are easy avoidable. Just control yourself, which I'm sure won't be a problem for you.

Either way you choose, good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would just be honest. If you want to stay at home and enjoy some quiet time then do that. My boyfriend and I stayed home last Christmas instead of going to my parent's house. It was ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! We just told my family that we wanted to stay at home and we did.

I don't think offering excuses is the right thing to do. Just be HONEST!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to see your relatives this year, come down with the flu. It's the easiest way.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Nah, I'm the opposite, I celebrate both the Canadian and the American one. :drinker: Life's too short to miss out on the fun!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    For my family, the only calorie laden food were the desserts. Turkey, baked yams, veggies. There is stuffing but it's only what fits in the bird so the portions are always small though coveted (big family when everyone gets together). My small family has 'thanksgiving' many times a year because we like turkey. I won't skip the dessert either because they only reason I grow pie pumpkins is so I can make pies from scratch for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner every year.

Oh, my family loves clam dip and that's pretty calorie laden but it's more a snack while cooking.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i understand your sentiment and respect your opinion.

however...

my opinion: BLASPHEMY!!! ;) (thanksgiving is my favorite holiday everrrr).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If I skipped it, I'd end up doing it 3 days later anyways so why even try.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you aren't going because your family seriously drives you nuts and you want to stay away from them, go for it. If you aren't going because there's food involved, go, enjoy your family and eat cautiously. Even if you blow it out the water and pig out it isn't going to be the end of the world. So you don't lose for a week or you have to compensate a bit the week before and after. There's always going to be occasions to attend and just because you lose weight and get to maintenance doesn't mean you still don't have to be careful with your food. You can't hide away for the rest of your life so no temptations are in your way.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Or....

You could just go and enjoy your time with your family and not eat that much.

But hey, whatever. Don't go if you don't want to. You're a grown woman.