Skipping Thanksgiving

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So, how do I just say, "I'd really like to just have a quiet time at home, alone on Thanksgiving." I think that sounds amazing! I'd love nothing more than to curl up in front of my fireplace with a book and just relax that day.

Staying away from the crazy, calorie laden foods of the day is just a bonus. I'm not in the least bit sentimental, and I don't attach emotions to food.

I just don't know how to get my point across to my highly sentimental relatives that I'm just not all that into stuffing my face this year. Food = Love in my family.

Maybe I'll just come down with the "flu" or something. :ohwell:

Tell each relative you are going to the other relative's house. THis works great if you're married you tell his fam your going to your fam's house and vice versa. If you're single you can invent a pretend new boyfriend whose house you are going to or if you don't wanna seem that pathetic and your Karma points are high and can handle it say you are going to serve mashed potatoes at a food drive charity type place. and then curl up with your whatever you plan to do. Good luck hiding from life. It's just one year, it won't kill you. :drinker: :smooched:
  • hmp1130
    hmp1130 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We live 800 miles from any family or friends so we can easily skip it ("Sorry, no money for gas/hotel")...
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My family is from the south and my husband likes to make the rounds at every house. At each house they'd be all, "aren't you gonna eat anything?" I've learned to hold a cup in my hand and take small sips the entire time. It seems as if I ate when I really didn't HAHAHA I just started MFP in September, but to avoid over-indulging I normally only get the foods I wouldn't normally have often. Pulled pork, sweet potato pie, stuffing, OH MY! forget the other junk. This year I will see how much this practice really pays off...
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You can curl up with your book later. Your parents love you, quit being selfish & go spend some time with them. They won't be here forever you know. I'm a mom I can lay on a guilt trip real quick!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oooh, ooh

Chill+out+i+got+this_359685_4109284.jpg

Just remembered...howcouldIforget!

Make a letter. Yes a letter stating that you will not be attending Thanksgiving because everyone is too morbidly obese for you to handle and you give up on life. I can't take credit unfortunately for this einstein idea it was from another thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1127250-lady-to-give-out-you-re-too-fat-for-candy-letters But yeah, Final answer!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Man, glad i like hanging with my family.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. all my brothers, cousins, aunts, uncles, parents and grandparents. Food, Beer, wine and fun
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine not wanting to spend Thanksgiving with my family. Logistically, it can be a pain in the *kitten*, but they're my family, and it's Thanksgiving.

Even if you don't want to see them, surely there is someone there, a parent or grandparent, who is looking forward to seeing you. You can't suck it up for one afternoon and reserve reading in front of the fireplace for one of the three days that follow?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you.gif
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you.gif

tumblr_m1i5462qft1rrfiwuo2_500.gif
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't dream of missing Thanksgiving or any major holiday for that matter with family. thanksgiving is a time for me to be thankful for what i have and for the family i still have with me. it's not about the food (okay i do love the food). yes i'm thankful all year long however it's the one time where we all get together and be thankful together.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So, how do I just say, "I'd really like to just have a quiet time at home, alone on Thanksgiving." I think that sounds amazing! I'd love nothing more than to curl up in front of my fireplace with a book and just relax that day.

Staying away from the crazy, calorie laden foods of the day is just a bonus. I'm not in the least bit sentimental, and I don't attach emotions to food.

I just don't know how to get my point across to my highly sentimental relatives that I'm just not all that into stuffing my face this year. Food = Love in my family.

Ummm...let me get this straight. You are going to avoid spending time with your family because you don't want to deal with crazy laden foods.

Wow. I know if I could have one more Thanksgiving or holiday with my dad, I'd say eat all the foods and just stay fat for the day because no diet is worth the opportunity lost for memories with loved ones.

Plus..no one got fat in a day.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Ummm...let me get this straight. You are going to avoid spending time with your family because you don't want to deal with crazy laden foods.

Wow. I know if I could have one more Thanksgiving or holiday with my dad, I'd say eat all the foods and just stay fat for the day because no diet is worth the opportunity lost for memories with loved ones.

end thread
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

25ibrwo.gif
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Skip Thanksgiving?

tumblr_mt90e1xAv71snn622o1_400.gif
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

QFT.

Or, here's a thought, bring the book with you and curl up on the couch there. At least then you're with your family.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is a holiday to honor all of the pilgrims who died from starvation and finally got to eat when they took over the country and you want to skip it?!??!?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I had an incident a few years back. I planned on going to my parents for Thanksgiving. The whole family was going to be there. I had no food in the house as I was planning on being gone for several days. Thursday morning, I woke up to find a huge snow storm had blown in. I was pretty much trapped in my house. The interstate was closed in several places between my house and my parents. I was unable to go. To top it off, the grocery store closed early that day ebing Thanksgiving and all.

So, I looked for what I had to make the best of it. All there was in the house were a couple of Banquet frozen dinners. I ate one of those, and just relaxed and read a book all day. Spent some time with the kids and the dogs, and enjoyed playing some games with them. I realized how nice and peaceful that it was. Ever since then, I don't really give a rip about the "feast" aspect of Thanksgiving. It's just fine to stay at home and have a relaxing day where you aren't stressing over getting all the cooking done.

These days, if there is a family gathering and someone else is doing the big spread, I will go. However, if not, I don't sweat it. I just make sure to buy several large turkeys in the weeks leadingup to the holiday (when they are dirt cheap) and freeze them. That way I can do the big turkey, smashed taters, and stuffing other times throughout the year, when there is more time.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    This is a holiday to honor all of the pilgrims who died from starvation and finally got to eat when they took over the country and you want to skip it?!??!?

Wow, your American Thanksgiving is different from ours. We're just thankful for all the things we have without any Pilgrim invasions!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

She said that was just a bonus. The point I believe was not having to deal with family and being able to just spend the day relaxing.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If you think 1 day will derail you.. your already derailed.