Skipping Thanksgiving

Options

Replies

• bookwormer28
    bookwormer28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying. You should be able to say to your family, hey guys, I'm not going to make it this year. But honestly, they would not understand. I told my husband I didn't want to cook this year at all. He looked at me like I had three heads. But I normally cook at least three meats, four or five sides, and three or four veggies and cornbread. Then we eat off it for days. So it's not like you will eat on Thanksgiving and call it a day. I start cooking on Monday and cook all the way up to Thanksgiving morning. I make everything homemade (lots of butter and milk). I don't want to do that this year. I'm all for going to someone else's house and eat for one day.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    someone always ends up crying at my family holidays. it seem that it bring up old wounds. food fuels the fire.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying. You should be able to say to your family, hey guys, I'm not going to make it this year. But honestly, they would not understand. I told my husband I didn't want to cook this year at all. He looked at me like I had three heads. But I normally cook at least three meats, four or five sides, and three or four veggies and cornbread. Then we eat off it for days. So it's not like you will eat on Thanksgiving and call it a day. I start cooking on Monday and cook all the way up to Thanksgiving morning. I make everything homemade (lots of butter and milk). I don't want to do that this year. I'm all for going to someone else's house and eat for one day.

better yet, a restaurant!
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    We love our families, but we loathe family get-togethers. Everyone on both sides has accepted the fact that it's really important to us to live a low-stress, low-drama life. Some Thanksgivings we join one of our families for dinner -- but many years we just say we're wanting something low-key and spending it by ourselves.

This year we are going to Aspen for two nights and enjoying some fine dining for Thanksgiving dinner.

They are all happy for us and totally understanding.

I say, just express what you want/need and if they are a supportive family they'll accept it and thankful to have such open lines of communication that you were able to tell them how you felt.
  • britfout
    britfout Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is why i'm glad i'm vegan in a non-vegan family, i'm bringing all my own food portioned out and calories counted! Too easy!
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I feel the same, really. I HAVE to host and daily I think how much I just want to get out of it. Ugh, the cleaning, the shopping, the cooking...it's just too much. I don't know why I'm unsentimental and don't really cherish these moments. But I will tell you what I keep saying to myself...

Suck it up. Your family deserves to feel like they are welcome,special and loved and you will make that happen.

Happy Holidays!
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with staying home and doing what you want for the day. I always stay home on Thanksgiving and spend the day with my husband and children. I make a small meal. My family is always welcome here and sometimes they do come. Most other times everyone enjoys it with their immediate families.

My family is huge and there is an event or two every month that we get together. It is really nice to have a holiday that we relax here.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I feel you.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's been much of a "Thanksgiving" since I was a kid, but I do remember going with my boyfriend's family when I was 17. That's a story for another nightmare.

Otherwise, I took to either an early Subway dinner or having deli turkey in the house. Can't stand my family.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I want to hang out with UpEarly this Thanksgiving!
    I say it's your day off, do what you want. I'm not one for family obligations though - if guilt was the only reason someone was seeing me, I'd rather not have them see me.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My husband's family has a huge get-together on Thanksgiving and again on Christmas. I love them to pieces and am really disappointed when I can't go, because they really know how to party. There's always lots of music, dancing, conversation and laughter. And oh yes, FOOD.
    The thing is, if you take the time to visit with all your family members, you won't have much time for eating. If the weather is good, go for a walk before dinner, or go out and play with the kids.
    Also, if you limit yourself to the vegetable dishes and ONLY white meat, leave off the gravies, potatoes, and pies (oh my!), you'll come out a lot better on the meal. And, ONLY ONE TRIP to the food trough!
    Like so many other people have said, you only get your family for a limited time. Treasure the opportunities to get together, and make the most of them. Don't make them about food, don't let food control you.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm the hostess and the cook, so I will be doing lots of gorgeous veggies, sugar free cranberry sauce, turkey, and sugar free pumpkin pie.

I will avoid Auntie Alice's famous brownies and the turkey dressing.

Works for me!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i am NOT a fan of any of the big holidays. My detest for Thanksgiving is trumped only by that of Christmas. If I could, i would totally duck out and spend both thanksgiving and xmas curled up in bed with a book, a blanket, and some wine. alone. or, perhaps in the company of one select individual.

i love my family to no end, but i despise the forced nature of these commercial holidays.

what i really wish i could do is go vacation somewhere from nov. 22 through the new year. man. that would be perfect.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm on the other side of this debate. I'm going to stuff my face until I can't walk and fall into a significant food coma.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My family doesn't push food on me, but my in-laws do, BIG TIME.

But I've learned to avoid this by filling the plate and eating slowly. If the plate got empty before meal's end another portion gets heaped on, so I learned a slow steady pace lets me eat a hearty amount but not get stuffed alive. :)
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do cardio Thanksgiving morning, and then proceed to go full beast mode once the food comes out. Then watch football, and take a nap while doing so.........................................................and like it!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    You could just eat the food and get over it. How on earth is one day going to ruin you?
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I also have a few cheat meals a month and Thanksgiving will definitely be one of those days! I'm hosting at my house this year :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i cant tell if this is a food thing or a family thing.

if its a food thing, get over it. 1 day aint gonna kill ya.

if its a family thing...eh, i kinda get it. there have been years where ive thought to myself "man i'd much rather just not drive an hour. i'd really enjoy just staying home with my wife and kid and relaxing doing what we do."

but 99% of the time....we go.
    we go because my in-laws love it.
    we go because our son loves it.
    we go because it's good to spend holidays with loved ones and laugh and smile and make memories.

take your book, stuff your face, enjoy the day, and leave early.