1200 Calories or Less! Please Read!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    The reason my ideal weight is entirely different after menopause: menopause took all the fat from my butt and hips and shifted it around to my waist, belly and midriff. I was always an hourglass and I am now a matronly blob! My butt and upper arms are wrinkled terribly. I desperately need plastic surgery but I am living in extreme poverty. Desperately, I enter contests, sweepstakes and free lotteries online to try to win $$$$$$. So all I can do now is to diet down to the optimum weight FOR plastic surgery, because losing or gaining weight after plastic surgery will undo the results. I realize that without plastic surgery, I will never look not-horrible at ANY weight. Exercise is not something that would fix my figure. Even Jack LaLanne didn't have the nipped-in waistline in old age that he had as a young man! I am not rationalizing; true, I detest physical activity, but I have never wanted to have an athletic build. Exercise would not be able to spot-remove the fat pad on my midsection. And I would be willing to weigh 200 or 250 pounds if I thought the fat would fill out my loose skin! I don't believe that it would work. Even if, theoretically, I could build enough muscle in my upper arms and butt to fill out all the loose skin-- which is highly doubtful-- the last thing I would ever want is defined musculature! I would rather have fat, flab, or even the loose skin than have defined muscles. I don't even like defined muscles on men. I like very thin men that are not muscular. I don't want to be model-thin, myself. I want to be soft, slender but not skinny. I WANT TO HAVE THE FIGURE I USED TO HAVE!
  • enn_jay
    enn_jay Posts: 16
    Options
    I honestly STRUGGLE to even make it to the 1000s calorie wise. I even go over my protein limits by a few numbers every day and I'm desperately trying to see what works to fill the calorie gap but honestly. I'm not starving, in fact, I'm even forcing myself to eat every two hours. But yes, I am steadily losing weight so for the long term I don't see how this would affect me if I'm not even starving myself. I could easily have a 1000-12000 calorie "diet" always. I don't even consider it a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    This is all just TOO FUNNY!!!!!! Let's beat this horse to death, then revive it, then beat the hell out of it again, just for fun!!!!

MYOB!!!! Unless you have MD after your name, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. See your doc, who should be monitoring whether something is working for you or not. Not some stranger on a message board. But the entertainment is priceless!

Actually, when it comes to nutrition and exercise advice, I'd prefer the person doesn't have MD in their name.

My thoughts exactly! DOCTORS ARE NOT NUTRITIONISTS!

FOR EXAMPLE: My nephew has leukemia and his DOCTORS tried to tell my sister that she should be giving him soda and candy and pizza and not to feed him fruits and vegetables..... PLEASE someone tell me how that makes ANY sense.

I call BS. No doctor said this.

Call my sister and ask her yourself.

Is your nephew terminal? If so, then I would agree with the doctor. Let him eat whatever the heck he enjoys.

Is your nephew having trouble eating, or keeping his weight up, due to chemo or other? If so, then again, eating something is most important. He needs food.

Vegetables are not always the answer. If your sister has concerns she should seek a second opinion from another qualified MD.
    Exactly! I work with end stage dementia patients and I have 1 man that will only eat ice cream, so you know what we feed him? Ice cream....with hot fudge. Something is better than nothing
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore. Chill out
    Than how did you gain weight? At some point, you had to eat more calories to gain weight and come here in the first place right?
    I cannot understand how people can say they can't eat more than 1200 unless its a one time thing, like being sick. I have 1400 on days off, with no workout, and 1600 or more on days that I work, and workout. I am ALWAYS starving! lol
  • enn_jay
    enn_jay Posts: 16
    Options
    Than how did you gain weight? At some point, you had to eat more calories to gain weight and come here in the first place right?
    I cannot understand how people can say they can't eat more than 1200 unless its a one time thing, like being sick. I have 1400 on days off, with no workout, and 1600 or more on days that I work, and workout. I am ALWAYS starving! lol

how tall are you thought? lol

I can't eat 1,200 calories and I'm 5'0"
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    The ED parade is in full force, eh?
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options

5'3" and have a job on my feet all day. Thought I was 5'5" and when I got measured and saw I was two inches shorter and knew it meant less food, I was so upset. :sad:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

The OP has spoken.

IT IS NOT OKAY.

:D

(I really do love that and cannot stop cracking up about it. I. So glad someone dredged this up, lol.)

IT IS NOT OKAY.
  • BrookeLH88
    Options
    Enjoying the entertainment but suggesting an educational review for many (and no, Dr. Google is not an appropriate source for medical infromation obtainment). Happy eating and exercise to those out there trying to feel better about themselves!
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Not all of us ate our way to being fat. I've never eaten much, and didn't put on the weight until I started drinking. I've cut back significantly on the alcohol and went back to eating the way I have usually nom'd (just more home cooking/salads versus frozen/boxed food)... which happens to be around 1200 calories unless I exercise. Cheers! :drinker:
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing alot of message board posts asking if it is okay to eat 1200 calories or less. THIS IS NOT OKAY. let me repeat. IT IS NOT OKAY TO EAT 1200 CALORIES OR LESS.

People will say they see results. Yes this is true. SHORT TERM you will see lots of weight loss. LONG TERM when you decide to start eating normal you will gain all your weight back or if you CONTINUE to eat 1200cals or less a day forever you will eat up all your muscle and destroy your body.

I am 4'11" starting weight 160. I've lost 31 lbs eating a 1400-1700 diet. 14/1500 on days i don't workout and around 1700 on days that i do. FOOD IS FUEL. people hear me say this all the time on MFP, EAT MORE TO LOSE MORE. Yes it will take alot more time than you want, but it will last. This is a lifestyle change. NOT A DIET. if you EAT CLEAN and EXCERSIZE REGULARELY you will see the results you are looking for in time, and they will be there to stay.

I am not a nutritionist (yet) but i have a lot of knowledge on the subjuct and am very passionate about it. When i get out of the service i will be going to school for nutrition. Please let me know if you have ANY questions. or just want some advice. like i said i am not a professional but i am here to help.

Please read the article below if you still have your doubts. Thank you.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/

15188748.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

tumblr_inline_mkue14yDk31qz4rgp.gif

1. You will not "gain all of your weight back" as long as you're eating maintenance and monitoring your cals because.... science.
    2. "Eating clean" has no real baring on weight loss, calorie deficit however... does.
    3. Exercising aides in cardio health but if you are not in calorie deficit you will not lose weight. (Again, Science)
    4. Eating 1,200 cals or less when over weight will not, "eat up muscle and destroy your body". That's not how your body works. Fat storage is there as a surplus energy source... your body will burn that and the fuels you ingest LONG before your muscle reserves. Plus, like others have said, your TDEE is dependent on your personal situation some older women or smaller women don't require the same amount of calories a day then the suggested number.
    5. You're right, you're not a nutritionist so maybe giving advice at this stage isn't really in your best interest.

and last...

6. Livestrong is not a credible source of information. Like Wikipedia, it's subject to uneducated blogger opinion and error... pick a more credible resource before presumably lecturing others on something you're not well versed in yourself.

Peace.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Oh and one other thing... Even though I find the OP's post to be ludicrous? I'm just as flabbergasted that a few of you claim you "struggle to eat 900 calories" let's not be silly. A couple spoonfuls of peanut butter is 1000 calories. One piece of cake can be 500-800. A value meal at McDon's is 1,400... It's not hard to eat 1500-2000 a day unless you're unnecessarily eliminating elements from your diet.

Butter and cheese isn't evil if eaten responsibly.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You lost 31 pounds and read a few things and now you're a diet maven?

You are combining arrogance with ignorance here, not a good thing. Livestrong is not a source of high-quality medical information. And you're misstating a lot of things. A very low calorie diet is generally considered to be 800 calories a day, not 1,200 calories a day. That low a level is supposed to be overseen by a physician.

Another example of the bad reporting by Livestrong: It says inactive people burn 12 calories per pound per day, active people 15. A little male-centric here? A post-menopausal woman burns 10 calories per pound per day, according to the American Dietetic Assn.

You can find very solid sources online to contradict Livestrong, that tell you starvation mode is a myth. And gallstones are linked to VLCDs only through very fast weight loss...it's losing 3 pounds a week or more over an extended period of time that can cause gallstones. Though I have known dozens and dozens of people who have gone on doctor-supervised VLCDs, lost that amount over a long course, and not one of them developed gallstones. Remember also that obesity is linked to gallstones.

I'm a good bit older than you, which means a slower metabolism, and I have lost 43 pounds by eating 1,200 calories a day. Wow, everyone should do what I'm doing because I'm a world expert, right? Uh, no. I'm doing what works well for me. That's all. I worked with a nutritionist who has an amazing success rate, and what does she say about this? Everyone is different. Everyone needs to follow an individual path.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The reason my ideal weight is entirely different after menopause: menopause took all the fat from my butt and hips and shifted it around to my waist, belly and midriff. I was always an hourglass and I am now a matronly blob! My butt and upper arms are wrinkled terribly. I desperately need plastic surgery but I am living in extreme poverty. Desperately, I enter contests, sweepstakes and free lotteries online to try to win $$$$$$. So all I can do now is to diet down to the optimum weight FOR plastic surgery, because losing or gaining weight after plastic surgery will undo the results. I realize that without plastic surgery, I will never look not-horrible at ANY weight. Exercise is not something that would fix my figure. Even Jack LaLanne didn't have the nipped-in waistline in old age that he had as a young man! I am not rationalizing; true, I detest physical activity, but I have never wanted to have an athletic build. Exercise would not be able to spot-remove the fat pad on my midsection. And I would be willing to weigh 200 or 250 pounds if I thought the fat would fill out my loose skin! I don't believe that it would work. Even if, theoretically, I could build enough muscle in my upper arms and butt to fill out all the loose skin-- which is highly doubtful-- the last thing I would ever want is defined musculature! I would rather have fat, flab, or even the loose skin than have defined muscles. I don't even like defined muscles on men. I like very thin men that are not muscular. I don't want to be model-thin, myself. I want to be soft, slender but not skinny. I WANT TO HAVE THE FIGURE I USED TO HAVE!

Maybe the saddest post I've ever read on mfp.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Maybe the saddest post I've ever read on mfp.

I second that...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jLZz4Na.gif
  • Tania181988
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories per day and i feel fine. Moreover that's what myfitnesspal recommend me to eat to reach my goal in weight loss.

Most women seeking weight loss – without medical supervision – require between 1,000 and 1,600 calories per day to safely lose weight. The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute suggests that active women, and those weighing more than 165 pounds, often require 1,200 to 1,600 calories a day for weight loss. Inactive females weighing 164 pounds or less often require 1,000 to 1,200 calories daily to effectively shed pounds. - http://www.livestrong.com/article/264438-how-many-calories-should-a-woman-eat-per-day-to-lose-weight/
  • emmamarshall93
    emmamarshall93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've sat & read through the whole entire thread.. what utter bull****. what's to say that 1200 is a "magical" number? surely the minimum amount of calories you're supposed to be eating depends on your size rather than this 1200? also, if this "starvation mode" thing exists, how do anorexics manage to get so tiny? people living in places like africa? if anyone can link anything to back it up, feel free to do cause I'd be interested in reading it.

surely the calories you're taking in don't matter unless you're massively under on everything? personally, I'm eating anywhere between 600-800 calories a day, most days. generally speaking, my protein levels are around 70-80g mark, carbs are around 50-60g mark, my fat intake is fairly low but it is still in there. I've been eating like this for months now, I have no health problems from it, my bloodwork is spot on, if anything, my pulse is slightly lower and my blood pressure has dropped a little.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I has no words...
  • mrslstage
    mrslstage Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have lost my weight 2lbs/week (now 1lb/week) over the last 13 months. When my dr asked me just last week how many calories I ate a day, I said "1200-1300". She said "great".