1200 Calories or Less! Please Read!

Options

Replies

• LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It took me changing to 1200 calories to finally start losing weight and end my love affair with food. My doctor gave me the green light to continue with it as long as I continue to feel good and it doesn't affect my energy levels. Please don't tell me how this will ruin me for life. I want to get to a lower weight before I start the muscle building. I know I won't eat a 1200 calorie diet for the rest of my life. There are even days I do feel hungrier than others and I (gasp) go a little over. This is all about learning and making progress that works for me. I don't go to bed hungry and I don't feel like I am going to pass out from starvation. I have however, learned that sometimes I will feel hungry and that doesn't mean I need to eat something every time. I have lived the past 20 years eating way too much because I was "hungry". At this point in my mission to lose weight and get healthy, eating 1200 calories is working for me. I am learning to recognize the true feeling of hunger, not the bored, emotional, because it's there, it tastes so good or just a little more kind of hunger (I really wasn't hungry)

If you don't believe in 1200 then don't do it. Don't discourage people to stop doing what works for them.

Why not maintain the muscle now which is much easier, than have to go through all of the work to try to build muscle later. As a female you're behind the 8 ball even more when it comes to trying to gain muscle mass. After your "noob gains", it takes painstaking hours in the gym, eating more than you burn (which means gaining fat as well), then cutting to get rid of the gained fat and lifting to maintain the gained muscle. Why not just do the cut now. That's what step you'd be on.

Maintain the muscle mass now, throw away the scale, mark progress with the tape measure, and be happier in the end...IMHO.

:flowerforyou: :drinker: :happy: :smile: :glasses:
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • jblattner14
    Options
    I completely agree with you...MFP tells me to eat 1200 a day anyways, and I end up eating around 900-1000 depending on how much exercise I do. I drink 80oz of water a day, and honestly the calories I consume are raw veggies and fruits...you know how many calories are in a plate of brussel sprouts with pistachios and two slices of turkey bacon? 130!!!! I will eat that and a sweet potato and barely reach 300 calories for my dinner, but no one would argue that that's a poor meal choice or that I'm starving myself! If I ate enough raw veggies to reach that freaking ridiculous number of 1500 that is so magically ideal, I would literally be eating the entire day! I don't care how many calories you consume so long as you are eating and eating correctly! It's bull to claim that every person has the same body type, metabolic rate, muscle mass, and fat burning capabilities; so chill out and accept the fact that each person's body is slightly different!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I only get results at 1200 kcal/day. Happy with my results, too! :smile:
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    That is the part that bothers me the most. People assume because you eat at 1200 calories that you don't know how to calculate how much you need or didn't bother doing it.

It really does get old hearing about it all the time.

that was suppose to be under a quote where someone says how to calculate your calories.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people in this thread who just need to chill the **** out and mind their own ****ing business.

Everyone is different. Some people can get by (and do perfectly fine!) eating 1200 calories a day. Hell, I did it for a year and lost 65 pounds. Now mind you, I was starving half the time -- but that's just how I am, and I've learned that. But I didn't feel horribly sick during the year that I ate 1200 a day, and I didn't die, so hey, there's that. I wouldn't go back to eating that little now, not if you paid me, but that's not my point.

Here's the point, for me (and it's my attitude towards pretty much everything in life): if it doesn't have anything to do with me and doesn't affect *my* life, then it's none of my ****ing business. The way someone else eats, or dresses, or raises their kids? None of my business whatsoever. I'm not a dietitian, and I'm not a doctor, and I'm not about to jump all over someone about what or how much they eat (unless they're being an insufferable *kitten* about it; I have a rather low tolerance for bull****.)

If eating 1200 calories is working for you, then fill your boots. If you need to eat more -- why, again, fill your boots. Just don't come up in here being all holier-than-thou about eating low-carb or high-protein or "clean" (whatever the **** THAT's supposed to mean), because how YOU eat has no bearing on how someone else chooses to eat.

I think there are a hell of a lot of people in here who need to check themselves, and keep their perceived "expertise" to themselves.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    That is the part that bothers me the most. People assume because you eat at 1200 calories that you don't know how to calculate how much you need or didn't bother doing it.

It really does get old hearing about it all the time.

that was suppose to be under a quote where someone says how to calculate your calories.
    No offense but statistically speaking most people are completely unaware of how many calories they were actually consuming to maintain their heaviest weight prior to dietary and exercise intervention. Even when they do approximate, people tend to significantly underestimate both food intake and TDEE in self-reported vs doubly labeled water studies. Just by this fact alone people may be pursuing deficits much larger than needed based on their degree of adiposity vs how much to lose even if they accurately weigh and account for all food intake and do not overestimate exercise energy expenditure.

The 1200 [net] calorie estimate itself isn't an issue and is perfectly fine for some populations (persons with a significant amount of fat to lose and those who truly have low TDEE). What is, however, is the casual method in which people derive at this recommended dietary intake combined with the fact that seemingly 9/10 women on MFP are given the same exact estimate despite there being a very broad range in individual profiles.
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This is all just TOO FUNNY!!!!!! Let's beat this horse to death, then revive it, then beat the hell out of it again, just for fun!!!!

MYOB!!!! Unless you have MD after your name, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. See your doc, who should be monitoring whether something is working for you or not. Not some stranger on a message board. But the entertainment is priceless!

Actually, when it comes to nutrition and exercise advice, I'd prefer the person doesn't have MD in their name.

My thoughts exactly! DOCTORS ARE NOT NUTRITIONISTS!

FOR EXAMPLE: My nephew has leukemia and his DOCTORS tried to tell my sister that she should be giving him soda and candy and pizza and not to feed him fruits and vegetables..... PLEASE someone tell me how that makes ANY sense.

I call BS. No doctor said this.

Call my sister and ask her yourself.

Is your nephew terminal? If so, then I would agree with the doctor. Let him eat whatever the heck he enjoys.

Is your nephew having trouble eating, or keeping his weight up, due to chemo or other? If so, then again, eating something is most important. He needs food.

Vegetables are not always the answer. If your sister has concerns she should seek a second opinion from another qualified MD.

Having worked in oncology in the past I can attest to the fact that sometimes gaining/maintaining one's weight while on chemo is more important than the food consumed. Chemo can cause drastic weight loss and the best way to counteract it is a high calorie diet; however, if a person struggles to eat then their diet needs to be altered accordingly.

There was a time when the nutritionist at the hospital told a patient to make frozen butter balls rolled in brown sugar. It was was for the person to eat due to having mouth sores, gave them a simplistic option whilst struggling with nausea caused by the chemo, gave them the calories they desperately needed, and did so in the most appetizing way possible for the patient.

Just sayin'
  • Momwidomski
    Momwidomski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well said, one size does not fit all! I could not possibly eat like I did when I was in my twenties. 1,200 is a number suggested by physicians for women who want to lose weight. It's an ok starting place, but not if you feel weak or nauseous or deprived. So for me I started there, but after two months increased it to 1,300 and began walking again and looking for variety. I am still losing weight, not as fast, but this is ok. Has to be a lifestyle change and not a diet. At my age I am still learning how to make "exchanges" in foods.
  • Momwidomski
    Momwidomski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Me too :) Started at magical number because my M.D. suggested it as a starting place for a woman needing to lose 10 to 15 pounds. It gave my body the jump start needed and now I am really happy at the 1,300 mark I started in the third month. I eat just about everything, but in a smaller amount now than what I used to do and it works. Finding out what a "normal" portion is!!???
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Think about it...the diet practices they told us to follow 20 years ago are now being proven wrong...give it another 20 years and everything we're doing today will be proven wrong...just saying
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I dont know if I am wrong adding to this argument but...
    I used to eat 1200 a day, sometimes less... then I used to go out to the gym every night and burn a big percentage of those calories. My weightloss has been painfully slow. Dr couldnt figure out why I wasnt losing, he put me on diet pills, but I didnt lose the right amount after 3 months for me to stay on them, he lowered my calorie goal to 1100, nothing, 1000, nothing... well apart from feeling cranky and losing my hair... Tested my bloods to see if there was any reason WHY I wasnt losing, then eventually told me that it looked like my only remaining option was surgery... NO!!! I wasnt going that route. I've had too many operations already, I was going to succeed, even if it took me 10 more years. I switched to eating clean for a couple of months thinking thats what I was doing wrong, but no. Still the same.

A couple of months ago, I read a thread about calculating your TDEE. I asked a few questions about what people thought my activity level was based on what I do at the gym (and outside the gym) and I was surprised on how much MORE I should've been eating. I've upped my calories now by, well almost double, I currently eat 1800 and sometimes more and this past couple of weeks the scale has finally started moving again. I dont eat "clean" I eat what I can sustain for the rest of my life.

Please people, calculate your TDEE, dont just blindly go on the 1200 cals. IF 1200 is right when you calculate your TDEE, all well and good, but I could've been at my goal weight and maintaining by now if I hadnt blindly stuck to something that was stalling my weight loss.

Good luck with your goals everyone
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thank you!
    unfortunately these people won't all listen to you
    its so frustrating!
    i just end up deleting them if they are on my friends list, i can't motivate and support someone who doesnt eat.
    my favorite are the people who say they physically can't eat more, makes me LOL

Don't be a jerk. Some of us don't have normal sized stomachs and CANNOT physically eat more.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is all just TOO FUNNY!!!!!! Let's beat this horse to death, then revive it, then beat the hell out of it again, just for fun!!!!

MYOB!!!! Unless you have MD after your name, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. See your doc, who should be monitoring whether something is working for you or not. Not some stranger on a message board. But the entertainment is priceless!

Actually, when it comes to nutrition and exercise advice, I'd prefer the person doesn't have MD in their name.

FOR EXAMPLE: My nephew has leukemia and his DOCTORS tried to tell my sister that she should be giving him soda and candy and pizza and not to feed him fruits and vegetables..... PLEASE someone tell me how that makes ANY sense.

15188748.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Because he is probably on what is called a "neutropenic" diet. You want to avoid anything that can have microorganisms in it and cause infection. Because fruit and veggies are frequently eaten raw they can easily contain said organisms -- which normally wouldn't bother someone with a healthy immune system. Processed foods are FAR less likely to cause infection with a compromised immune system. I don't think they were trying to poison your nephew. I worked in oncology for a few years, but I am no expert.

(edited for spelling)
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Is your nephew terminal? If so, then I would agree with the doctor. Let him eat whatever the heck he enjoys.

Is your nephew having trouble eating, or keeping his weight up, due to chemo or other? If so, then again, eating something is most important. He needs food.

Vegetables are not always the answer. If your sister has concerns she should seek a second opinion from another qualified MD.

Having worked in oncology in the past I can attest to the fact that sometimes gaining/maintaining one's weight while on chemo is more important than the food consumed. Chemo can cause drastic weight loss and the best way to counteract it is a high calorie diet; however, if a person struggles to eat then their diet needs to be altered accordingly.

There was a time when the nutritionist at the hospital told a patient to make frozen butter balls rolled in brown sugar. It was was for the person to eat due to having mouth sores, gave them a simplistic option whilst struggling with nausea caused by the chemo, gave them the calories they desperately needed, and did so in the most appetizing way possible for the patient.

Just sayin'

My son was labeled failure to thrive as an infant and we were also told to do something similar, to try and get his weight up (he was 8lbs at birth and at 6 months old he was 10lbs and losing weight). At that point you will do ANYTHING to get the calories in. What kind be darned. There's nothing wrong with doing this per a doctor's orders and it can be life saving.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That's what I was wondering-when a relative of mine went through cancer/radiation treatment she lost a lot of weight in a short period of time. Her doctor's were telling her to eat anything she could keep down, to try and get her weight loss to slow down.

Yeah, cuz when one is already sick, junk food really helps. Being malnourished is obviously the way to treat severely ill people. No doubt they will feel so much better by avoiding nutrient dense foods. I totally can believe the Doctor would give advice to feed anything the kid wants. Too bad the majority of doctors, and MFP members, can't follow the logic that what we eat does affect health.

First of all, saying pizza is junk food is like saying soup or stew is junk food. Pizza is just a crust with other foods on it. It as healthy or unhealthy as you make it.

But you are obviously not understanding the difference between eating to stay heatlhy long term, and eating to save your life by ingesting caloires. This is why it's good to listen to those with an MD after your name when your sick, instead of someone that thinks they know all about nutrition because they joined a fitness website.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    thank you!
    unfortunately these people won't all listen to you
    its so frustrating!
    i just end up deleting them if they are on my friends list, i can't motivate and support someone who doesnt eat.
    my favorite are the people who say they physically can't eat more, makes me LOL

I do a high fat diet, I have up to ten carbs a day. I am satiated and I cannot eat anymore. If you tried the same diet you would get it. Stop making assumptions about someone just because you think you know everything. There are hundreds of lifestyles and it is entirely up to those people on what they eat.

10g carbs per day? :indifferent:

Yeah, I don't know whether to laugh or cry (I'm leaning towards "cry"). I'm ketogenic and I eat a fat based diet too. And I don't act like vegetables are the be all and end all of everything, but doesn't one want to eat a few veggies with the meat and fat? There is just NO need to starve oneself on a high fat diet. But of course skinny is more important than healthy for many of us. :noway:

I never said I didn't, I do, you can have **** loads of food like brocolli. I don't avoid anything apart from carbs, moron.

Actually, no. One cup of broccoli has 6 grams of carbs. So, you are avoiding vegetables for the most part. I agree that 20 grams of carbs is doable, and maybe even 10 occasionally, but 900 calories is ridiculous and unnecessary. But I'm coming from a health stand point, not an "eat as little as possible" standpoint.

You don't help your argument by calling people "morons", especially people who agree with a ketogenic lifestyle. Careful with that pointing finger because there are four more pointing back at you.

If you're going to call others a moron, you might want to make sure you spell BROCCOLI correctly. Just saying.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I dont know if I am wrong adding to this argument but...
    I used to eat 1200 a day, sometimes less... then I used to go out to the gym every night and burn a big percentage of those calories. My weightloss has been painfully slow. Dr couldnt figure out why I wasnt losing, he put me on diet pills, but I didnt lose the right amount after 3 months for me to stay on them, he lowered my calorie goal to 1100, nothing, 1000, nothing... well apart from feeling cranky and losing my hair... Tested my bloods to see if there was any reason WHY I wasnt losing, then eventually told me that it looked like my only remaining option was surgery... NO!!! I wasnt going that route. I've had too many operations already, I was going to succeed, even if it took me 10 more years. I switched to eating clean for a couple of months thinking thats what I was doing wrong, but no. Still the same.

A couple of months ago, I read a thread about calculating your TDEE. I asked a few questions about what people thought my activity level was based on what I do at the gym (and outside the gym) and I was surprised on how much MORE I should've been eating. I've upped my calories now by, well almost double, I currently eat 1800 and sometimes more and this past couple of weeks the scale has finally started moving again. I dont eat "clean" I eat what I can sustain for the rest of my life.

Please people, calculate your TDEE, dont just blindly go on the 1200 cals. IF 1200 is right when you calculate your TDEE, all well and good, but I could've been at my goal weight and maintaining by now if I hadnt blindly stuck to something that was stalling my weight loss.

Good luck with your goals everyone

Thank you for posting, I hope more people get the message (but sadly they likely will not).
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread has gone pretty much exactly as I thought it would. You never disappoint me, Internet! :drinker:
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    im on a 1200 calorie diet monitored by my endocrinologist and hospital dietitian. I have hashimotos hypothyroid, polycystic ovarian syndrom and a pituitary disorder. All which cause a reduced metabolism. Correct diet and exercise does increase metabolism but it doesnt cure the deficit created by hormonal conditions that cause metabolic disorders. There is such a large portion of the population that unfortunately suffer the same disorders and unfortunately have to go onto pretty severe diet plans to lose weight.