Workout safety (stranger danger)

Options

Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I only run with one ear bud in early morning, once people in my neighborhood are out I'll run with two. The map posting thing is a good point (better safe than sorry, right?). The water bottle thing I would have NEVER thought of:embarassed: Thanks for helping us remember all we need to to be safe :flowerforyou:
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If i were a female jogger, i'd carry pepper spray, a small knife & a loud whistle, and also take a self-defense course. Also there's no point in wearing "cute" clothing.
    Ok 2 things...

First, pepper spray AND a knife? Overkill maybe?

Second, let's not discourage women joggers from wearing cute clothing...it's half of what keeps me motivated to run!!!

Overkill. Heh.
    What, do you think there should be hand grenades? Maybe perhaps surface to air missiles? Armored tank that follows your around?

Of course I can't tell if your just laughing at the use of the word 'overkill' :) My irony detector is broken
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

Second, let's not discourage women joggers from wearing cute clothing...it's half of what keeps me motivated to run!!!

This made me giggle:laugh: As long as you boys keep those shirts off!
  • sklarbodds
    Options

This made me giggle:laugh: As long as you boys keep those shirts off!
    Roger that :)
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love how men are coming on here and making fun of women for being cautious, I know you guys don't have to worry about it, but surely you realize it's a bit different for us?

Of course we have nothing to worry about. No man has ever been sexually assaulted, raped, attacked, or murdered.

So I don't really want to get involved in an online argument because I feel like that is like the lamest thing in the world;
    But I'm going to anyway
    however, I do think this series of posts is a bit insensitive. Men are certainly targeted as victims of violent crimes and no one is saying that they're not.

No one on here is saying that they are paranoid or are hiding in their homes because of fear, but it is important to be cautious and aware of your surroundings. That applies to men and women. As a man, however, it can be really hard to understand what it feels like to be physically intimidated by another person. You may have never experienced the utterly helpless feeling of knowing that you are matched up against a person who has greater physical strength than you. The fact is, we live in a world where some people will use their physical attributes to make another person feel weak or intimidated. I have personally experienced it, and there is literally no worse feeling. I don't think a lot of men can say that they understand how this feels.

Also, your points would probably be taken more graciously if you didn't feel the need to make them in such a snarky manner.

TIL all men are equally strong and men haven't been faced with larger or stronger people. I'll let Gary Coleman know that he should have no problem with The Rock.

I think Gary Coleman's "having a problem" days are over.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I love the run keeper app, I can follow random women around while they do their daily jogs, once I went to the park and waited for one of them to pass by just to watch. I also turned on Find Friends on my girlfriends IPhone without telling her( she has never used the app) Now I know where she is at all times so I can call her if she isn't where she is supposed to be and be all stealthy about who she hangs out with when I'm not around!

Wait, wut? I think I need to start forum stalking you more often...:grumble:

dont you worry...i'm watching both of you at all times, and youre both behaving pretty well. (your hair looks nice today btw)(so i took some)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    For ANY woman who runs alone in I would strongly suggest taking a carry course and buying a little .380. They come in 9 oz lightweight versions like my ruger lcp.

Concealed weapons are not legal everywhere. And where the hell do you keep it?
    Wait....Is that a real question? It's a gun. You put it in a holster. Then you run. Duh...:noway: It's no worse than the people who run with those little belts full of water bottles.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    there are a multitude of dangers to worry about when running, other than rapists and muggers...

Hippo-running-funny.jpg

i suggest everyone lock and load before their daily run. better safe than sorry. you'll thank me later.

This is why I run with someone slower than me. I don't have to outrun the hippo, I just have to outrun the other runner.
  • melinda189
    Options
    I post my runs... and have yet to be raped yet. Must be doing something wrong....
    :laugh: You looking to get raped????? too funny
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If i were a female jogger, i'd carry pepper spray, a small knife & a loud whistle, and also take a self-defense course. Also there's no point in wearing "cute" clothing.
    Ok 2 things...

First, pepper spray AND a knife? Overkill maybe?

Overkill. Heh.
    What, do you think there should be hand grenades? Maybe perhaps surface to air missiles? Armored tank that follows your around?

Of course I can't tell if your just laughing at the use of the word 'overkill' :) My irony detector is broken

Isn't it ironic, don't ya think? Here, c(__) cup of coffee on me. It's still morning in my brain, too. :tongue:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For ANY woman who runs alone in I would strongly suggest taking a carry course and buying a little .380. They come in 9 oz lightweight versions like my ruger lcp.

They're not even a particularly good idea unless one is trained in how to use them as part of a defensive activity, and spend a considerable amount of time maintaining currency. Otherwise it's just handy that you brought your own, saves your attacker bringing one...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

They're not even a particularly good idea unless one is trained in how to use them as part of a defensive activity, and spend a considerable amount of time maintaining currency. Otherwise it's just handy that you brought your own, saves your attacker bringing one...
    Hang on, Mr. Mugger, let me just get my gun out of my back pack so I can fight you off...
  • sklarbodds
    Options

Isn't it ironic, don't ya think? Here, c(__) cup of coffee on me. It's still morning in my brain, too. :tongue:
    To be honest, I'm actually still laughing in to myself about the image of some jogger on a trail around a lake with a giant tank following them the whole way through and a great path of destruction of broken trees.

Every time the jogger runs by someone the tank slows and the cannon 'follows' them by so it can shoot at any time :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Wait....Is that a real question? It's a gun. You put it in a holster. Then you run. Duh...:noway: It's no worse than the people who run with those little belts full of water bottles.

Did you just compare running with water to running with a gun on your hip? Is this seriously a thing?
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    maybe you could put a sign on their water that says this *kitten* aint safe girl. use your head.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

WTF....?? :huh:

So I had to google this as I didn't have the faintest clue what a "Ruger LCP" was....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_LCP

Are you serious? You run with a gun???? :noway:

It's moments like this make you feel very very happy that you live in the UK, isn't it? :-)
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Have you ever had a gun on a holster attached to your hip? I have and it's not very comfortable to walk with. I can't imagine what it's like to run with that thing let alone the bruise I'd have from it rubbing and banging. Also it's pretty heavy so there's the whole pants falling down issue to contend with as well.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love the run keeper app, I can follow random women around while they do their daily jogs, once I went to the park and waited for one of them to pass by just to watch. I also turned on Find Friends on my girlfriends IPhone without telling her( she has never used the app) Now I know where she is at all times so I can call her if she isn't where she is supposed to be and be all stealthy about who she hangs out with when I'm not around!

Wait, wut? I think I need to start forum stalking you more often...:grumble:

dont you worry...i'm watching both of you at all times, and youre both behaving pretty well. (your hair looks nice today btw)(so i took some)

I thought one side seemed a bit shorter this morning. Dude, you're supposed to be subtle about the amount you take!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I probably watch too much Criminal Minds

You're probably right.

From a crime perspective the risks of an opportunistic attack are pretty low, and when one considers the motives for attack, there are easier ways to achieve the end result.

Whilst I agree that it's not the most prudent thing in the world to draw attention to ones pattern of life, there are many other ways that someone with intent can gain access to the information and exploit it.

Most personal threat can be dealt with by basic situational awareness, and some confidence. If one was to consider all threats , all the time then one would never get out of bed, never mind actually go for some phys. There is more risk of being hit by a car when out.

That said, there are now some instances of burglary where pattern of life was determined using public social media to identify when properties were likely to be empty, and for how long. Although this tends to be vacant during the workday, rather than an hour or so running.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Did you just compare running with water to running with a gun on your hip? Is this seriously a thing?

yes. people run with guns. there are special holsters and even lightweight guns that one can use so that they don't affect your running. it's not just for city dwellers worried about muggers, but lots of folks run in the wilderness and there are bears and mountain lions and coyotes to contend with. all of these animals will attack humans on occasion, and some female joggers have been "taken" by mountain lions while running trails in california and other western states in recent years.

i personally don't find anything strange or odd about it. if you get into trouble on a trail, calling for "help" is not the solution.